From: technobarbarian@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Texas woman charged in former Tarrant County judge's fentanyl overdose death
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:26:46 -0800
 by: Technobarbarian - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 22:26 UTC

"GRAPEVINE. Texas - A new law that allows police to charge drug dealers
with murder if a user dies of overdose is being applied to a woman
accused of buying drugs from a dealer.

Grapevine police arrested and charged Kami Ludwig this week after her
boyfriend's November overdose in a Grapevine home. Police say she
purchased fentanyl-laced pills, Xanax, cocaine and more from dealers in
Fort Worth and Louisiana.

North Texas attorney and former Tarrant County Judge William Shane Nolen
died of a fentanyl overdose in November.

Nolen?s girlfriend at the time, 35-year-old Kami Ludwig, now faces a
murder charge nearly three months after his death.

A new state law went into effect in September, creating a criminal
offense of murder for manufacturing or supplying fentanyl that results
in death.

"They found evidence that she sought out the pills," said Amanda McNew
with the Grapevine Police Department. "She bought them and brought them
back to the victim. He took them, and he died."

On Nov. 20, 2023, Grapevine police responded to a death investigation at
a home near Hall-Johnson Road and Pool Road just before 5 a.m.

Police say Ludwig called 911 and claimed she woke up to Nolen lying
unresponsive next to her and ran to a neighbor?s home.

Nolen?s 9-year-old son was also home at the time. When officers entered,
they found the 47-year-old dead in his bedroom from a drug overdose."
[snip]

https://www.fox4news.com/news/kami-ludwig-murder-charge-william-shane-
nolen-overdose

Those folks are just the tip of the iceberg. The same goes for
these folks:

"A man used an app on his phone to watch a married couple dying after he
allegedly poisoned them with opioid painkiller fentanyl, a court has
heard.

Luke D?Wit, 34, rewrote a will for Stephen and Carol Baxter making
himself the beneficiary a day after they were discovered slumped in
armchairs in their conservatory, Chelmsford Crown Court heard.

He denies murdering the couple, who owned a successful bath mat company,
at their home in Mersea Island, Essex, last Easter.

Tracy Ayling KC, prosecuting, said D?Wit had worked for the couple and
befriended them, later claiming he was ?like an adopted son to both of
them? in a police statement.

Jurors were told on Thursday that D?Wit had installed a ?mobile security
surveillance application? on his phone which allowed him to monitor a
camera from another device.

Ms Ayling said that police analysis of his phone revealed images of Mr
and Mrs Baxter ?in their armchairs? on the afternoon of April 7 last
year, with one timed at 5.14pm. Two days later, their bodies were found
in the same chairs by their daughter Ellie."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/fentanyl-murder-trial-luke-
d-wit-essex-b2496781.html

"SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (KELO) ? A Washington man was sentenced on January
29, 2024 for conspiracy to possess a controlled substance with intent to
distribute.

Jason James Brickner, 44, was sentenced to two years and nine months in
federal prison.

On June 13, 2022, Brickner was driving a vehicle with Sonny Evenson, 39,
riding as the passenger. They were pulled over on I-90 for a traffic
violation. After the South Dakota Highway Patrol Trooper searched the
vehicle, the Trooper found more than 40 grams of fentanyl.

Arrests made in connection with organized street racing event
Two milligrams of fentanyl can be lethal depending on a person?s body
size, tolerance and past usage. The vehicle Brickner was driving had the
equivalent of 40,000 milligrams of fentanyl in it."

https://www.keloland.com/news/local-news/washington-man-sentenced-after-
possessing-40000-milligrams-of-fentanyl/

"Police: Two women arrested, 1,500 fentanyl pills seized after traffic
stop"

https://www.wbay.com/2024/02/15/police-two-women-arrested-1500-fentanyl-
pills-seized-after-traffic-stop/

"Fentanyl task force seizes 720,000 pills in ?massive bust? in Alpine
The seizure, part of joint operation of state enforcement team and
federal task force focused on fentanyl, resulted in arrest of man
driving drug-laden vehicle"

"Like much of the nation, San Diego County has been grappling with
skyrocketing rates of overdoses and deaths attributed to the powerful
synthetic opioid, which is up to 50 times stronger than heroin, 100
times stronger than morphine and can be lethal in tiny doses. Fentanyl
killed 815 people in 2022 in San Diego County ? a 785-percent increase
from the 92 people killed by the drug in 2018."

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/story/2024-02-
14/fentanyl-task-force-seizes-720-000-pills-in-massive-bust-in-alpine

"Alpine is a census-designated place (CDP) in the Cuyamaca Mountains of
San Diego County, California. Alpine had a population of 14,696 at the
2020 census, up from 14,236 at the 2010 census. The town is largely
surrounded by the Cleveland National Forest and borders two reservations
of the Kumeyaay Nation, Viejas and Sycuan, and the rural unincorporated
areas around the city of El Cajon."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine,_California

"All roads 'lead back to fentanyl': City overrun with drugs sees
progress after overwhelmed police get new help

Fox News Digital rides along with Portland cops as they team up with
Oregon State Police to tackle fentanyl crisis"

https://www.foxnews.com/us/roads-lead-back-fentanyl-city-overrun-drugs-
sees-progress-overwhelmed-police-get-new-help

"PORTLAND, Ore. ? A man was sentenced to four years in prison after 2-
year-old daughter overdosed twice from accidentally consuming fentanyl.

Bret Mitchell Hollmann pled guilty on Thursday for third-degree assault
and unlawful possession of a substantial quantity of Schedule II
controlled substance, the Washington County District Attorney's Office
said.

In March, Hollmann and his fiancé, Megan Elizabeth Meek, went to drop
their daughter off at a babysitter after smoking fentanyl pills that
Hollmann purchased, the news release said. On the way, Meek had placed
her bag that contained multiple fentanyl pills in the backseat within
reach of the toddler, who gained access and swallowed several pills.

When they arrived at the babysitter, they realized the child was
overdosing on fentanyl. When police arrived, the child was "unconscious
not breathing, and had no detectable pulse." Hollmann told the officers
that his daughter has swallowed fentanyl pills and needed her stomach
pumped.

Officers gave the child two doses of Narcan, saving the girl's life.
While on the way to the hospital, the child overdosed again "due to the
sheer amount" of fentanyl in her system. Hospital staff needed to place
the child on a Narcan drip for a full day to keep her alive, according
to the news release.

Hollmann told officers he had purchased the fentanyl pills. He was also
later caught smoking additional fentanyl at the hospital while his
daughter was on a Narcan drip."

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/crime/man-sentenced-child-accidentally-
overdosed-fentanyl/283-c9c0b638-958b-4cac-b600-a47eae182a63

"Updated 4:29 PM PST, September 28, 2023
Share
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) ? Nearly a dozen children, including a 1-year-old,
have overdosed on fentanyl since June in Portland, Oregon, its police
bureau said Thursday, intensifying alarm in a city like so many others
that has struggled to address the deadliest overdose crisis in U.S.
history.

Police said 10 minors have overdosed since June and fentanyl is
suspected in all but one of the cases. Half of the incidents were fatal.
A 1-year-old, 2-year-old, 5-year-old and two 15-year-olds are among the
dead, the Portland Police Bureau said in a news release.

A growing number of children are dying of fentanyl overdoses across the
country amid an escalating opioid crisis that last year claimed nearly
80,000 lives, according to federal data. In the past month, a 2-year-old
with a significant amount of fentanyl in her system died at her home
south of Seattle, a 1-year-old died of a suspected fentanyl overdose at
a day care in New York City and a 15-month-old in California died after
being exposed to the substance in her home."

https://apnews.com/article/portland-oregon-fentanyl-overdoses-children-
49349b7a341017e44a8c08b3846cd967

These days it doesn't matter much where you live. There's more than
enough everywhere.

TB

Re: Texas woman charged in former Tarrant County judge's fentanyl overdose death

<uqmeaa$3i885$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=22045&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22045

From: ganthony@gmail.net (George.Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Texas woman charged in former Tarrant County judge's
fentanyl overdose death
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 01:38:18 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:exldmy8PPSLYWU9pMm63xeKISCc=
 by: George.Anthony - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 01:38 UTC

Technobarbarian <technobarbarian@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> suspected in all but one of the cases. Half of the incidents were fatal.
> A 1-year-old, 2-year-old, 5-year-old and two 15-year-olds are among the
> dead, the Portland Police Bureau said in a news release.
>
> A growing number of children are dying of fentanyl overdoses across the
> country amid an escalating opioid crisis that last year claimed nearly
> 80,000 lives, according to federal data. In the past month, a 2-year-old
> with a significant amount of fentanyl in her system died at her home
> south of Seattle, a 1-year-old died of a suspected fentanyl overdose at
> a day care in New York City and a 15-month-old in California died after
> being exposed to the substance in her home."
>
> https://apnews.com/article/portland-oregon-fentanyl-overdoses-children-
> 49349b7a341017e44a8c08b3846cd967
>
> These days it doesn't matter much where you live. There's more than

Click here to read the complete article