I cannot draw a cart, nor eat dried oats; If it be man's work I will do it.

interests / soc.genealogy.medieval / Re: Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467

SubjectAuthor
* Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Betty Gorrie
+* Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Will Johnson
|`* Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Betty Gorrie
| `* Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Robert Goff
|  +- Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Will Johnson
|  +- Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Betty Gorrie
|  `* Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Betty Gorrie
|   `* Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Robert Goff
|    `- Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467jdr1...@gmail.com
`* Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Johnny Brananas
 `* Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Johnny Brananas
  `* Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Robert Goff
   +* Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Will Johnson
   |`* Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Robert Goff
   | +- Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Robert Goff
   | `* Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Will Johnson
   |  `- Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Robert Goff
   +* Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Betty Gorrie
   |`* Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Betty Gorrie
   | `* Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Robert Goff
   |  `- Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Betty Gorrie
   `* Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Betty Gorrie
    +* Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Betty Gorrie
    |`- Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Betty Gorrie
    `* Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Robert Goff
     `* Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Betty Gorrie
      `- Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467Betty Gorrie

Pages:12
Re: Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467

<ae023afa-b136-4955-8055-1bfdce54c8c7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8180&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#8180

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 15:00:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467
From: rwgoff1981@gmail.com (Robert Goff)
 by: Robert Goff - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 23:00 UTC

On Sunday, October 8, 2023 at 10:05:23 AM UTC-4, Betty Gorrie wrote:

> > In 1361, the Umberleigh Willingtons and the St. Clairs of Ashbrittle, Somerset both held interests in the presentation to the church of Little Torrington, Devon. Bishop Grandison's Register, Part III, p. 1470-1471.
> > https://archive.org/details/registerofjohnde03exet/page/1470/mode/2up.
> I see that. This agrees with what I said
> Ralph III Wyllington b 1239, sits at the head of the Wyllington Visitations of Devon, with his wife named Juliane Lomene, who is given by British History as the Heiress of Gittisham. In Addition, hidden behind this man, his father Ralph II b 1200 who married Joan Champernoun; behind Joan Champernoun 1200, her father William C 1260 heir of Umberleigh; his father Jordan II also Heir who married Mabel Soligny C 1125 Heiress of Umberleigh.
> So this proves my point then that the Basset pedigree for Willington is not true, and the one in Trigg Minor is true. Thanks very much for that. So for Umberleigh, we pretty much have the line correct. Now if I could just find Lapford Doun from John Umfraville. I think it is just not a significant property and it is spelled several ways, as is Umfraville, making the search even more challenging.
>
> Cheers. Betty.

There is a reference in the Red Book (p. 765) that I can't quite translate to a Lucy who first married a son of Ralph de Willington (and secondly after divorce?) to Guadin de Albo Monsterio/Blancminster:

Lucia primo nupta filio Ralph de Wilintone, infra nubiles annos, cum haeridatate, eo mortuo nupsit fratri praedicti. de fact respondet ergo super hoc coram Episcopo Worcester. Medio tempore surripit ea Guadin de Albo monasterio. Movet Ralph Gaudino quaestionem super surreptione illius a custodia. In Curia Regis componunt, facto cirographo. Dat Lucia Radulfo et haeredibus suis x libratas terrae; adhuc sedente questione coram Episcopo, necdum soluto prioris viri matrimonio. Longe post, judicialiter facto divorcio, nititur cirographum factum a Gaudin, cum eo tempore non esset vir suus.

In 1244, Nicholas Vaux entered a fine with Gaudin de Albo Monasterio and wife, Lucy, for 5 ferlings in Bokinton [Bickington], Depeford [Diptford], and Umberlege [Umberleigh], Devon, to have and to hold to Nicholas and his espoused wife, of Gaudin and Lucy. Devon fines, p. 210. Failing heirs of Nicholas and his espoused wife, the land would pass to Gaudin and Lucy, and the heirs of Lucy. In 1249, William le Pourere entered a fine with Lucia de Albo Monasterio for a ploughland in Stretton [Stratton], Cornwall, which William recognized as the right of Lucia and her heirs. Cornwall fines, p. 66. In 1274, Andrew Peverel held Houtten [Houghton] Sussex of Lucy de Blamuster [Blancminster]. IPM, vol. 2, p. 40.

Lucy was the daughter of Peter Turet and Lucy Haget, as established by charters of her son, Ralph de Albo Monasterio.

https://archive.org/details/storyofstrattonc00bone/page/20/mode/2up?q=turet

Re: Shute Devon, Inheritance about 1461 to 1467

<5abe43cb-9b66-4cbf-b3e4-4d66ef99fec5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8181&group=soc.genealogy.medieval#8181

Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 03:27:15 -0800 (PST)
From: jdr130219@gmail.com (jdr1...@gmail.com)
 by: jdr1...@gmail.com - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 11:27 UTC

On Monday 18 December 2023 at 23:00:08 UTC, Robert Goff wrote:
> [...]
>
> In 1244, Nicholas Vaux entered a fine with Gaudin de Albo Monasterio and wife, Lucy, for 5 ferlings in Bokinton [Bickington], Depeford [Diptford], and Umberlege [Umberleigh], Devon, to have and to hold to Nicholas and his espoused wife, of Gaudin and Lucy. Devon fines, p. 210. Failing heirs of Nicholas and his espoused wife, the land would pass to Gaudin and Lucy, and the heirs of Lucy. In 1249, William le Pourere entered a fine with Lucia de Albo Monasterio for a ploughland in Stretton [Stratton], Cornwall, which William recognized as the right of Lucia and her heirs. Cornwall fines, p. 66. In 1274, Andrew Peverel held Houtten [Houghton] Sussex of Lucy de Blamuster [Blancminster]. IPM, vol. 2, p. 40.
>
> Lucy was the daughter of Peter Turet and Lucy Haget, as established by charters of her son, Ralph de Albo Monasterio.

With reference to John Umfraville, I have reference from the National Archives to a Henry de Umfraville which contains a further reference to a Lapford Manor. Henry had a brother, John. I am not sure whether this assists, as I have not researched this family.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9935224