Perfection is achieved only on the point of collapse. -- C. N. Parkinson

interests / rec.woodworking / Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

SubjectAuthor
* Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Puckdropper
+- Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Bill
`* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Leon
 +- Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Leon
 `* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Puckdropper
  +* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Bill
  |`* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"krw
  | `* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Bill
  |  +* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Puckdropper
  |  |+- Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Leon
  |  |`* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Bill
  |  | `* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Puckdropper
  |  |  `- Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Bill
  |  `- Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Leon
  +* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"krw
  |`* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Puckdropper
  | +* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Leon
  | |`* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Puckdropper
  | | `* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Leon
  | |  `* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"krw
  | |   `* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Leon
  | |    `* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"krw
  | |     `* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Leon
  | |      `* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"krw
  | |       `- Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Leon
  | `* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"krw
  |  `* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Leon
  |   `* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"krw
  |    `* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Leon
  |     `* Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"krw
  |      `- Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Leon
  `- Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"Leon

Pages:12
Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<2WqxL.673892$GNG9.657323@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9002&group=rec.woodworking#9002

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"
From: puckdropper@yahoo.com (Puckdropper)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 06:06:54 GMT
 by: Puckdropper - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 06:06 UTC

Follow Me seemed to be a bit of a weird tool, I never was quite sure what
I was going to get. I think I get it now, and it's awesome for adding
profiles around things. One of the places it excels is in figuring out
how to do corners, so you're not spending lots of time manually mitering
a corner.

So there's two ways to make friends with "Follow me", selecting line by
line and selecting all at once. Selecting all at once is my preferred
method, it almost always seems to work.

First, draw your profile on one of the lines you'll be extruding on. It
should be a single face and make contact with the line. It should be
perpendicular to the line.

For the "line by line" method, select the follow me tool and select the
face to extrude, then move it to select the line you want to extrude on.
Carefully navigate to the next line and keep going until your extrusion
is done.

For the "all at once" method, select the lines you want to extrude on,
then select the follow me tool, and finally click the face you want to
extrude. It will then extrude along that path.

Note: Your face and the lines you select must be on the same component.
If you draw a face outside a component and try to extrude along the lines
of a component it will not work.

Later we'll talk about layers... Can you believe such a powerful tool had
documentation that said "don't use layers and be happy?"

Puckdropper

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<P7sxL.391917$vBI8.71240@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9003&group=rec.woodworking#9003

Subject: Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: nonegiven@att.net (Bill)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 02:29:50 -0500
 by: Bill - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 07:29 UTC

On 1/17/2023 1:06 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

> Later we'll talk about layers... Can you believe such a powerful tool had
> documentation that said "don't use layers and be happy?"
>
> Puckdropper

"Layers" are very nice. I recall that feature better than "follow me".

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<VRCdnQkJ3OsuV1v-nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9004&group=rec.woodworking#9004

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 10:20:03 -0600
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
 by: Leon - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 16:20 UTC

On 1/17/2023 12:06 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
> Follow Me seemed to be a bit of a weird tool, I never was quite sure what
> I was going to get. I think I get it now, and it's awesome for adding
> profiles around things. One of the places it excels is in figuring out
> how to do corners, so you're not spending lots of time manually mitering
> a corner.
>
> So there's two ways to make friends with "Follow me", selecting line by
> line and selecting all at once. Selecting all at once is my preferred
> method, it almost always seems to work.
>
> First, draw your profile on one of the lines you'll be extruding on. It
> should be a single face and make contact with the line. It should be
> perpendicular to the line.
>
> For the "line by line" method, select the follow me tool and select the
> face to extrude, then move it to select the line you want to extrude on.
> Carefully navigate to the next line and keep going until your extrusion
> is done.
>
> For the "all at once" method, select the lines you want to extrude on,
> then select the follow me tool, and finally click the face you want to
> extrude. It will then extrude along that path.
>
> Note: Your face and the lines you select must be on the same component.
> If you draw a face outside a component and try to extrude along the lines
> of a component it will not work.
>
> Later we'll talk about layers... Can you believe such a powerful tool had
> documentation that said "don't use layers and be happy?"
>
> Puckdropper

I use follow me so seldom that I have to refresh myself with a quicky
YouTube video that Sketchup puts out. Between 1 and 3 minutes in, the
basics are covered.

FWIW "Layers" have been renamed "Tags" on the past 1 or 2 updates, maybe
more.

It is a good habit to not use "Layers/Tags" for design drawing. Use
the Layers/Tags for segregating work that you do not want to always
show. Basically, draw/design on the default layer and when complete
assign it to another Layer/Tag, if you want.

I like the option to add a "Tag Folder".
I am designing kitchen cabinets and want all cabinets to be in the same
drawing. Each individual cabinet, when complete, is on a different
Layer/Tag. I can look at any number of cabinets or just one particular
cabinet by turning their respective Layer/Tags on or off.

BE CAREFUL to not draw on two different Layers/Tags at the same time if
both are visible. Your editing will be added to only the currently
selected Layer/Tag.

And additional Tag Folder lets you place specific extra layers under the
hierarchy of a specific tag. For example I have 5 cabinets each on
their specific Layer/Tag. Adding a Tag Folder allows you to put each
cabinet layer in those individual folders along with separate Layer/Tags
for dimensions unique to the cabinet in that tag folder.

This allows me to have the ability to turn every thing in that Tag
"Folder" on or off with a single click.

Additionally Adding a scene for each cabinet with the appropriate Tag
Folder selected allows you to turn off every thing that is not assigned
to that Layer/Tag and zooms you to that particular cabinet for viewing
or editing.

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<rrudneXB1KepU1v-nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9005&group=rec.woodworking#9005

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 10:35:00 -0600
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
 by: Leon - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 16:35 UTC

On 1/17/2023 10:20 AM, Leon wrote:
> [...]
>
> BE CAREFUL to not draw on two different Layers/Tags at the same time if
> both are visible.   Your editing will be added to only the currently
> selected Layer/Tag.
>
> And additional Tag Folder lets you place specific extra layers under the
> hierarchy of a specific tag.   For example I have 5 cabinets each on
> their  specific Layer/Tag.   Adding a Tag Folder allows you to put each
> cabinet layer in those individual folders along with separate Layer/Tags
> for dimensions unique to the cabinet in that tag folder.
>
> This allows me to have the ability to turn every thing in that Tag
> "Folder" on or off with a single click.
>
> Additionally Adding a scene for each cabinet with the appropriate Tag
> Folder selected allows you to  turn off every thing that is not assigned
> to that Layer/Tag and zooms you to that particular cabinet for viewing

A Sketchup Tag Folder Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luMQqbfFwK8

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<PhPxL.340951$iU59.187885@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9018&group=rec.woodworking#9018

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: puckdropper@yahoo.com (Puckdropper)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 09:50:39 GMT
 by: Puckdropper - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 09:50 UTC

Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in

> On 1/17/2023 12:06 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
>> Follow Me seemed to be a bit of a weird tool, I never was quite sure
>> what I was going to get. I think I get it now, and it's awesome for
>> adding profiles around things. One of the places it excels is in
>> figuring out how to do corners, so you're not spending lots of time
>> manually mitering a corner.
>>
>> So there's two ways to make friends with "Follow me", selecting line
>> by line and selecting all at once. Selecting all at once is my
>> preferred method, it almost always seems to work.
>>
>> First, draw your profile on one of the lines you'll be extruding on.
>> It should be a single face and make contact with the line. It should
>> be perpendicular to the line.
>>
>> For the "line by line" method, select the follow me tool and select
>> the face to extrude, then move it to select the line you want to
>> extrude on. Carefully navigate to the next line and keep going until
>> your extrusion is done.
>>
>> For the "all at once" method, select the lines you want to extrude
>> on, then select the follow me tool, and finally click the face you
>> want to extrude. It will then extrude along that path.
>>
>> Note: Your face and the lines you select must be on the same
>> component. If you draw a face outside a component and try to extrude
>> along the lines of a component it will not work.
>>
>> Later we'll talk about layers... Can you believe such a powerful tool
>> had documentation that said "don't use layers and be happy?"
>>
>> Puckdropper
>
> I use follow me so seldom that I have to refresh myself with a quicky
> YouTube video that Sketchup puts out. Between 1 and 3 minutes in, the
> basics are covered.

That's why it took me so long to make friends with it. It's not
something you need often but can be really handy when you do.
> FWIW "Layers" have been renamed "Tags" on the past 1 or 2 updates,
> maybe more.
>
> It is a good habit to not use "Layers/Tags" for design drawing. Use
> the Layers/Tags for segregating work that you do not want to always
> show. Basically, draw/design on the default layer and when complete
> assign it to another Layer/Tag, if you want.

All geometry goes on Layer 0. No geometry should ever be on a layer.
Components and groups go on layers, geometry goes on layer 0.

> I like the option to add a "Tag Folder".
> I am designing kitchen cabinets and want all cabinets to be in the
> same drawing. Each individual cabinet, when complete, is on a
> different Layer/Tag. I can look at any number of cabinets or just
> one particular cabinet by turning their respective Layer/Tags on or
> off.
>
> BE CAREFUL to not draw on two different Layers/Tags at the same time
> if both are visible. Your editing will be added to only the
> currently selected Layer/Tag.
>
> And additional Tag Folder lets you place specific extra layers under
> the hierarchy of a specific tag. For example I have 5 cabinets each
> on their specific Layer/Tag. Adding a Tag Folder allows you to put
> each cabinet layer in those individual folders along with separate
> Layer/Tags for dimensions unique to the cabinet in that tag folder.
>
> This allows me to have the ability to turn every thing in that Tag
> "Folder" on or off with a single click.
>
> Additionally Adding a scene for each cabinet with the appropriate Tag
> Folder selected allows you to turn off every thing that is not
> assigned to that Layer/Tag and zooms you to that particular cabinet
> for viewing or editing.

I'm stuck on Sketchup Make 2017 because of poor business decisions.
Software as a service, renting software, programs running exclusively
online... It's just not a world I can trust.

Puckdropper

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<0J%xL.350516$iU59.192357@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9023&group=rec.woodworking#9023

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: nonegiven@att.net (Bill)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 18:58:52 -0500
 by: Bill - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 23:58 UTC

On 1/18/2023 4:50 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> And additional Tag Folder lets you place specific extra layers under
>> the hierarchy of a specific tag. For example I have 5 cabinets each
>> on their specific Layer/Tag. Adding a Tag Folder allows you to put
>> each cabinet layer in those individual folders along with separate
>> Layer/Tags for dimensions unique to the cabinet in that tag folder.
>>
>> This allows me to have the ability to turn every thing in that Tag
>> "Folder" on or off with a single click.
>>
>> Additionally Adding a scene for each cabinet with the appropriate Tag
>> Folder selected allows you to turn off every thing that is not
>> assigned to that Layer/Tag and zooms you to that particular cabinet
>> for viewing or editing.
>>

> I'm stuck on Sketchup Make 2017 because of poor business decisions.
> Software as a service, renting software, programs running exclusively
> online... It's just not a world I can trust.

Puckdropper, I may have a copy of the free install program from when
SketchUp was owned by Google, before it was sold to Trimble. I believe
it is from around 2008. I last installed it on Windows 7, but SU still
runs on Windows 10 after my upgrade. Let me know if you are interested.

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<q18hsh5r4lf6b69mn8iqro37h3qrq722e2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9025&group=rec.woodworking#9025

From: krw@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 20:48:47 -0500
 by: krw@notreal.com - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 01:48 UTC

On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 09:50:39 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in
>
>> On 1/17/2023 12:06 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
>>> Follow Me seemed to be a bit of a weird tool, I never was quite sure
>>> what I was going to get. I think I get it now, and it's awesome for
>>> adding profiles around things. One of the places it excels is in
>>> figuring out how to do corners, so you're not spending lots of time
>>> manually mitering a corner.
>>>
>>> So there's two ways to make friends with "Follow me", selecting line
>>> by line and selecting all at once. Selecting all at once is my
>>> preferred method, it almost always seems to work.
>>>
>>> First, draw your profile on one of the lines you'll be extruding on.
>>> It should be a single face and make contact with the line. It should
>>> be perpendicular to the line.
>>>
>>> For the "line by line" method, select the follow me tool and select
>>> the face to extrude, then move it to select the line you want to
>>> extrude on. Carefully navigate to the next line and keep going until
>>> your extrusion is done.
>>>
>>> For the "all at once" method, select the lines you want to extrude
>>> on, then select the follow me tool, and finally click the face you
>>> want to extrude. It will then extrude along that path.
>>>
>>> Note: Your face and the lines you select must be on the same
>>> component. If you draw a face outside a component and try to extrude
>>> along the lines of a component it will not work.
>>>
>>> Later we'll talk about layers... Can you believe such a powerful tool
>>> had documentation that said "don't use layers and be happy?"
>>>
>>> Puckdropper
>>
>> I use follow me so seldom that I have to refresh myself with a quicky
>> YouTube video that Sketchup puts out. Between 1 and 3 minutes in, the
>> basics are covered.
>
>That's why it took me so long to make friends with it. It's not
>something you need often but can be really handy when you do.

I use it constantly. I have a cheap PC and a 55" TV on the wall
(sorta) over my TS. I display the components of project, with
dimensions, on the screen while I work.

>> FWIW "Layers" have been renamed "Tags" on the past 1 or 2 updates,
>> maybe more.
>>
>> It is a good habit to not use "Layers/Tags" for design drawing. Use
>> the Layers/Tags for segregating work that you do not want to always
>> show. Basically, draw/design on the default layer and when complete
>> assign it to another Layer/Tag, if you want.
>
>All geometry goes on Layer 0. No geometry should ever be on a layer.
>Components and groups go on layers, geometry goes on layer 0.
>
>> I like the option to add a "Tag Folder".
>> I am designing kitchen cabinets and want all cabinets to be in the
>> same drawing. Each individual cabinet, when complete, is on a
>> different Layer/Tag. I can look at any number of cabinets or just
>> one particular cabinet by turning their respective Layer/Tags on or
>> off.
>>
>> BE CAREFUL to not draw on two different Layers/Tags at the same time
>> if both are visible. Your editing will be added to only the
>> currently selected Layer/Tag.
>>
>> And additional Tag Folder lets you place specific extra layers under
>> the hierarchy of a specific tag. For example I have 5 cabinets each
>> on their specific Layer/Tag. Adding a Tag Folder allows you to put
>> each cabinet layer in those individual folders along with separate
>> Layer/Tags for dimensions unique to the cabinet in that tag folder.
>>
>> This allows me to have the ability to turn every thing in that Tag
>> "Folder" on or off with a single click.
>>
>> Additionally Adding a scene for each cabinet with the appropriate Tag
>> Folder selected allows you to turn off every thing that is not
>> assigned to that Layer/Tag and zooms you to that particular cabinet
>> for viewing or editing.
>>

>I'm stuck on Sketchup Make 2017 because of poor business decisions.
>Software as a service, renting software, programs running exclusively
>online... It's just not a world I can trust.

I'm the same, though it's getting harder and harder to do. I just
"rented" Shaper Studio. I'm not all that happy about it but it wasn't
all that expensive.

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<nc8hshho6lacrnai2s5cpqcngttk41jni6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9026&group=rec.woodworking#9026

From: krw@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 20:50:08 -0500
 by: krw@notreal.com - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 01:50 UTC

On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 18:58:52 -0500, Bill <nonegiven@att.net> wrote:

>On 1/18/2023 4:50 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
>> Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in

>>> I use follow me so seldom that I have to refresh myself with a quicky
>>> YouTube video that Sketchup puts out. Between 1 and 3 minutes in, the
>>> basics are covered.
>>
>> That's why it took me so long to make friends with it. It's not
>> something you need often but can be really handy when you do.
>>
>>> FWIW "Layers" have been renamed "Tags" on the past 1 or 2 updates,
>>> maybe more.
>>>
>>> It is a good habit to not use "Layers/Tags" for design drawing. Use
>>> the Layers/Tags for segregating work that you do not want to always
>>> show. Basically, draw/design on the default layer and when complete
>>> assign it to another Layer/Tag, if you want.
>>
>> All geometry goes on Layer 0. No geometry should ever be on a layer.
>> Components and groups go on layers, geometry goes on layer 0.
>>
>>> I like the option to add a "Tag Folder".
>>> I am designing kitchen cabinets and want all cabinets to be in the
>>> same drawing. Each individual cabinet, when complete, is on a
>>> different Layer/Tag. I can look at any number of cabinets or just
>>> one particular cabinet by turning their respective Layer/Tags on or
>>> off.
>>>
>>> BE CAREFUL to not draw on two different Layers/Tags at the same time
>>> if both are visible. Your editing will be added to only the
>>> currently selected Layer/Tag.
>>>
>>> And additional Tag Folder lets you place specific extra layers under
>>> the hierarchy of a specific tag. For example I have 5 cabinets each
>>> on their specific Layer/Tag. Adding a Tag Folder allows you to put
>>> each cabinet layer in those individual folders along with separate
>>> Layer/Tags for dimensions unique to the cabinet in that tag folder.
>>>
>>> This allows me to have the ability to turn every thing in that Tag
>>> "Folder" on or off with a single click.
>>>
>>> Additionally Adding a scene for each cabinet with the appropriate Tag
>>> Folder selected allows you to turn off every thing that is not
>>> assigned to that Layer/Tag and zooms you to that particular cabinet
>>> for viewing or editing.
>>>

>> I'm stuck on Sketchup Make 2017 because of poor business decisions.
>> Software as a service, renting software, programs running exclusively
>> online... It's just not a world I can trust.
>>
>> Puckdropper
>>

>Puckdropper, I may have a copy of the free install program from when
>SketchUp was owned by Google, before it was sold to Trimble. I believe
>it is from around 2008. I last installed it on Windows 7, but SU still
>runs on Windows 10 after my upgrade. Let me know if you are interested.

The 2017 version still works. I've been using it since, well, 2017.

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<XF3yL.61797$5S78.11823@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9027&group=rec.woodworking#9027

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: nonegiven@att.net (Bill)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 23:28:39 -0500
 by: Bill - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 04:28 UTC

On 1/18/2023 8:50 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 18:58:52 -0500, Bill <nonegiven@att.net> wrote:
>
>> On 1/18/2023 4:50 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
>>> Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in

>>> That's why it took me so long to make friends with it. It's not
>>> something you need often but can be really handy when you do.

>>> All geometry goes on Layer 0. No geometry should ever be on a layer.
>>> Components and groups go on layers, geometry goes on layer 0.

>>> I'm stuck on Sketchup Make 2017 because of poor business decisions.
>>> Software as a service, renting software, programs running exclusively
>>> online... It's just not a world I can trust.
>>>
>>> Puckdropper
>>>

>> Puckdropper, I may have a copy of the free install program from when
>> SketchUp was owned by Google, before it was sold to Trimble. I believe
>> it is from around 2008. I last installed it on Windows 7, but SU still
>> runs on Windows 10 after my upgrade. Let me know if you are interested.
>>
> The 2017 version still works. I've been using it since, well, 2017.

If its the Trimble version it works with more handicaps than the free
Google version. The last time I tried the free version it didn't support
"labels", for instance, which were essential to what I wanted to do.

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<kD9yL.43396$8blb.39855@fx01.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9030&group=rec.woodworking#9030

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: puckdropper@yahoo.com (Puckdropper)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 11:15:28 GMT
 by: Puckdropper - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 11:15 UTC

Bill <nonegiven@att.net> wrote in news:XF3yL.61797$5S78.11823@fx48.iad:

> On 1/18/2023 8:50 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 18:58:52 -0500, Bill <nonegiven@att.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Puckdropper, I may have a copy of the free install program from when
>>> SketchUp was owned by Google, before it was sold to Trimble. I
>>> believe it is from around 2008. I last installed it on Windows 7,
>>> but SU still runs on Windows 10 after my upgrade. Let me know if you
>>> are interested.
>>>
>> The 2017 version still works. I've been using it since, well, 2017.
>
> If its the Trimble version it works with more handicaps than the free
> Google version. The last time I tried the free version it didn't
> support "labels", for instance, which were essential to what I wanted
> to do.

I appreciate the offer, I've got install files for Sketchup 8. I spent a
long time on Sketchup 8 and finally moved to Sketchup 2017 for better
plugin support. The solid modeler (drawing) is pretty much the same, which
sucks because it needs some fixes. (ROUND circles? What's that?)

Puckdropper

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<ON9yL.113975$5CY7.108452@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9031&group=rec.woodworking#9031

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: puckdropper@yahoo.com (Puckdropper)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 11:26:38 GMT
 by: Puckdropper - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 11:26 UTC

krw@notreal.com wrote in news:q18hsh5r4lf6b69mn8iqro37h3qrq722e2@4ax.com:

> On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 09:50:39 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>>
>>I'm stuck on Sketchup Make 2017 because of poor business decisions.
>>Software as a service, renting software, programs running exclusively
>>online... It's just not a world I can trust.
>
> I'm the same, though it's getting harder and harder to do. I just
> "rented" Shaper Studio. I'm not all that happy about it but it wasn't
> all that expensive.

On the front page, these guys say "Buy it once, own it forever."
https://www.alibre.com/

I really need to see if it will do what I do, I'd like to reward those guys
with some business for having sane licensing terms.

Puckdropper

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<0gKdna3iB5dq_1T-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9032&group=rec.woodworking#9032

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 09:34:15 -0600
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
 by: Leon - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 15:34 UTC

On 1/18/2023 3:50 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
> Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in
>
>> On 1/17/2023 12:06 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
>>> Follow Me seemed to be a bit of a weird tool, I never was quite sure
>>> what I was going to get. I think I get it now, and it's awesome for
>>> adding profiles around things. One of the places it excels is in
>>> figuring out how to do corners, so you're not spending lots of time
>>> manually mitering a corner.
>>>
>>> So there's two ways to make friends with "Follow me", selecting line
>>> by line and selecting all at once. Selecting all at once is my
>>> preferred method, it almost always seems to work.
>>>
>>> First, draw your profile on one of the lines you'll be extruding on.
>>> It should be a single face and make contact with the line. It should
>>> be perpendicular to the line.
>>>
>>> For the "line by line" method, select the follow me tool and select
>>> the face to extrude, then move it to select the line you want to
>>> extrude on. Carefully navigate to the next line and keep going until
>>> your extrusion is done.
>>>
>>> For the "all at once" method, select the lines you want to extrude
>>> on, then select the follow me tool, and finally click the face you
>>> want to extrude. It will then extrude along that path.
>>>
>>> Note: Your face and the lines you select must be on the same
>>> component. If you draw a face outside a component and try to extrude
>>> along the lines of a component it will not work.
>>>
>>> Later we'll talk about layers... Can you believe such a powerful tool
>>> had documentation that said "don't use layers and be happy?"
>>>
>>> Puckdropper
>>
>> I use follow me so seldom that I have to refresh myself with a quicky
>> YouTube video that Sketchup puts out. Between 1 and 3 minutes in, the
>> basics are covered.
>
> That's why it took me so long to make friends with it. It's not
> something you need often but can be really handy when you do.
>
>> FWIW "Layers" have been renamed "Tags" on the past 1 or 2 updates,
>> maybe more.
>>
>> It is a good habit to not use "Layers/Tags" for design drawing. Use
>> the Layers/Tags for segregating work that you do not want to always
>> show. Basically, draw/design on the default layer and when complete
>> assign it to another Layer/Tag, if you want.
>
> All geometry goes on Layer 0. No geometry should ever be on a layer.
> Components and groups go on layers, geometry goes on layer 0.

Well, not always. Once a component or group is placed on an
alternative layer it sometimes has to be modified. You would not want
to move it to the default layer to make modifications and then back again.

>> I like the option to add a "Tag Folder".
>> I am designing kitchen cabinets and want all cabinets to be in the
>> same drawing. Each individual cabinet, when complete, is on a
>> different Layer/Tag. I can look at any number of cabinets or just
>> one particular cabinet by turning their respective Layer/Tags on or
>> off.
>>
>> BE CAREFUL to not draw on two different Layers/Tags at the same time
>> if both are visible. Your editing will be added to only the
>> currently selected Layer/Tag.
>>
>> And additional Tag Folder lets you place specific extra layers under
>> the hierarchy of a specific tag. For example I have 5 cabinets each
>> on their specific Layer/Tag. Adding a Tag Folder allows you to put
>> each cabinet layer in those individual folders along with separate
>> Layer/Tags for dimensions unique to the cabinet in that tag folder.
>>
>> This allows me to have the ability to turn every thing in that Tag
>> "Folder" on or off with a single click.
>>
>> Additionally Adding a scene for each cabinet with the appropriate Tag
>> Folder selected allows you to turn off every thing that is not
>> assigned to that Layer/Tag and zooms you to that particular cabinet
>> for viewing or editing.
>>

> I'm stuck on Sketchup Make 2017 because of poor business decisions.
> Software as a service, renting software, programs running exclusively
> online... It's just not a world I can trust.

I understand however I use the pro version. That is a subscription for
updates. If you choose to not pay for the subscription the free
updates stop, but you can still use the program.

FWIW the Pro version and your data files are still on your computer.
Because I sell most of my work the cost is offset.

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<0gKdnaziB5f4-VT-nZ2dnZfqnPoAAAAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9033&group=rec.woodworking#9033

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 09:40:21 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 15:40 UTC

On 1/19/2023 5:15 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
> Bill <nonegiven@att.net> wrote in news:XF3yL.61797$5S78.11823@fx48.iad:

>>> The 2017 version still works. I've been using it since, well, 2017.
>>
>> If its the Trimble version it works with more handicaps than the free
>> Google version. The last time I tried the free version it didn't
>> support "labels", for instance, which were essential to what I wanted
>> to do.
>>

> I appreciate the offer, I've got install files for Sketchup 8. I spent a
> long time on Sketchup 8 and finally moved to Sketchup 2017 for better
> plugin support. The solid modeler (drawing) is pretty much the same, which
> sucks because it needs some fixes. (ROUND circles? What's that?)
>
> Puckdropper

Have you tried "smooth" on the circular geometry? And or adding more
segments to the arks and circles?

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<ABydnVjg9upD71T-nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9034&group=rec.woodworking#9034

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 10:42:06 -0600
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
 by: Leon - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 16:42 UTC

On 1/19/2023 5:26 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
> krw@notreal.com wrote in news:q18hsh5r4lf6b69mn8iqro37h3qrq722e2@4ax.com:
>
>> On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 09:50:39 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm stuck on Sketchup Make 2017 because of poor business decisions.
>>> Software as a service, renting software, programs running exclusively
>>> online... It's just not a world I can trust.
>>
>> I'm the same, though it's getting harder and harder to do. I just
>> "rented" Shaper Studio. I'm not all that happy about it but it wasn't
>> all that expensive.
>

> On the front page, these guys say "Buy it once, own it forever."
> https://www.alibre.com/
>
> I really need to see if it will do what I do, I'd like to reward those guys
> with some business for having sane licensing terms.
>
> Puckdropper

Just looking at it, I would rather pay the price of something that I am
proficient with than to have to learn a 7th drawing program. But at
least there is a 30 day trial. I wonder what you don't get with the
$150 version vs the $600~$1400 versions.

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<ABydnVvg9urD7lT-nZ2dnZfqn_gAAAAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9035&group=rec.woodworking#9035

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 10:44:14 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
 by: Leon - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 16:44 UTC

On 1/18/2023 10:28 PM, Bill wrote:
> On 1/18/2023 8:50 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:

>>> Puckdropper, I may have a copy of the free install program from when
>>> SketchUp was owned by Google, before it was sold to Trimble. I believe
>>> it is from around 2008. I last installed it on Windows 7, but SU still
>>> runs on Windows 10 after my upgrade. Let me know if you are interested.
>>>
>> The 2017 version still works.  I've been using it since, well, 2017.
>
> If its the Trimble version it works with more handicaps than the free
> Google version. The last time I tried the free version it didn't support
> "labels", for instance, which were essential to what I wanted to do.

Lables?

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<JqhyL.356486$iU59.243459@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9038&group=rec.woodworking#9038

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: puckdropper@yahoo.com (Puckdropper)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 20:08:09 GMT
 by: Puckdropper - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 20:08 UTC

> On 1/19/2023 5:26 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
>>
>> On the front page, these guys say "Buy it once, own it forever."
>> https://www.alibre.com/
>>
>> I really need to see if it will do what I do, I'd like to reward
>> those guys with some business for having sane licensing terms.
>>
>> Puckdropper
>

> Just looking at it, I would rather pay the price of something that I
> am proficient with than to have to learn a 7th drawing program. But
> at least there is a 30 day trial. I wonder what you don't get with
> the $150 version vs the $600~$1400 versions.

My little hobby business is 3D printing scale models. That means the
more time I spend in Sketchup the longer a new model takes. If a new
program can get me to the end faster then I'm all for it.

Trimble got rid of the option to buy Sketchup Pro outright. It's now all
rental software.

Puckdropper

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<0mlyL.324999$MVg8.43782@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9039&group=rec.woodworking#9039

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: nonegiven@att.net (Bill)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 19:36:11 -0500
 by: Bill - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 00:36 UTC

On 1/19/2023 6:15 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
The solid modeler (drawing) is pretty much the same, which
> sucks because it needs some fixes. (ROUND circles? What's that?)

To be fair, due to "raster graphics", in many computer applications,
circles are merely polygons (an ordered list of vertices). And the more
vertices you want, the most space it takes and the longer it takes to
render the geometry. I believe that SU allows you to override the
default number of edges or vertices for a particular circle. In "old"
(or new?) "vector graphics" monitors, circles might possibly render
better--I honestly don't know the answer, but my mind is open to this
possibility. When I was in school, the vector graphics monitor was "that
old dusty thing in the corner".

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<sq0ksh5q2jp7ummrmbujt2tr5alfu0qbes@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9040&group=rec.woodworking#9040

From: krw@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 22:04:52 -0500
 by: krw@notreal.com - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 03:04 UTC

On Thu, 19 Jan 2023 11:26:38 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>krw@notreal.com wrote in news:q18hsh5r4lf6b69mn8iqro37h3qrq722e2@4ax.com:
>
>> On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 09:50:39 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>>I'm stuck on Sketchup Make 2017 because of poor business decisions.
>>>Software as a service, renting software, programs running exclusively
>>>online... It's just not a world I can trust.
>>
>> I'm the same, though it's getting harder and harder to do. I just
>> "rented" Shaper Studio. I'm not all that happy about it but it wasn't
>> all that expensive.
>

>On the front page, these guys say "Buy it once, own it forever."
>https://www.alibre.com/

The price for the personal/workshop version is at the right price
point. SVG and DXF support makes it a potential SketchUp killer for
me.

It does have a $50/yr maintenance cost.

>I really need to see if it will do what I do, I'd like to reward those guys
>with some business for having sane licensing terms.

Me too. Thanks for linking it. I'll have to download the trial soon.

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<ihtyL.61803$5S78.48326@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9043&group=rec.woodworking#9043

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: puckdropper@yahoo.com (Puckdropper)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 09:37:18 GMT
 by: Puckdropper - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 09:37 UTC

Bill <nonegiven@att.net> wrote in news:0mlyL.324999$MVg8.43782@fx12.iad:

> On 1/19/2023 6:15 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
> The solid modeler (drawing) is pretty much the same, which
>> sucks because it needs some fixes. (ROUND circles? What's that?)
>>

> To be fair, due to "raster graphics", in many computer applications,
> circles are merely polygons (an ordered list of vertices). And the
> more vertices you want, the most space it takes and the longer it
> takes to render the geometry. I believe that SU allows you to override
> the default number of edges or vertices for a particular circle. In
> "old" (or new?) "vector graphics" monitors, circles might possibly
> render better--I honestly don't know the answer, but my mind is open
> to this possibility. When I was in school, the vector graphics monitor
> was "that old dusty thing in the corner".

When you draw a circle about 4 inches in diameter then send it to a 3D
printer it prints out with noticable flats along the outside. With any
other program, it will be round.

I've tried increasing the number of sides, but usually hit the limits
before I get something really round. My current solution is just not to
print anything that requires a really large circle.

Puckdropper

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<rWadneMqxYYoXFf-nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9044&group=rec.woodworking#9044

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 10:30:45 -0600
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
 by: Leon - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 16:30 UTC

On 1/19/2023 9:04 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2023 11:26:38 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> krw@notreal.com wrote in news:q18hsh5r4lf6b69mn8iqro37h3qrq722e2@4ax.com:

>>> I'm the same, though it's getting harder and harder to do. I just
>>> "rented" Shaper Studio. I'm not all that happy about it but it wasn't
>>> all that expensive.
>>

>> On the front page, these guys say "Buy it once, own it forever."
>> https://www.alibre.com/
>
> The price for the personal/workshop version is at the right price
> point. SVG and DXF support makes it a potential SketchUp killer for
> me.

SVG and DXF Support. That will likely require a plug in which may be
free and may require extra cash. DXF is supported tith Sketchup Pro and
the SVG plug in, the one I use, is free. Food for thought. And yes it
could be a Sketchup killer but Sketchup is to well suited for woodworking.

> It does have a $50/yr maintenance cost.

In that case, maybe not much better than the Pro version of Sketchup.
Sketch up requires annual maintenance for updates and quite a bit more
but Sketchup Pro updates are not necessary to continue using the program.

>> I really need to see if it will do what I do, I'd like to reward those guys
>> with some business for having sane licensing terms.

Yes! Let us know. While the licensing terms are more reasonable than
Sketchup, Sketchup is a load more reasonable than AutoCAD, a program I
used for years.

If I consider how many years I used Sketchup for free, the new Pro
pricing is easier to swallow.

> Me too. Thanks for linking it. I'll have to download the trial soon.

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<5ZSdnTnF1PPBW1f-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9045&group=rec.woodworking#9045

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 10:50:36 -0600
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
 by: Leon - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 16:50 UTC

On 1/19/2023 2:08 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
> Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in
>
>> On 1/19/2023 5:26 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
>>>
>>> On the front page, these guys say "Buy it once, own it forever."
>>> https://www.alibre.com/
>>>
>>> I really need to see if it will do what I do, I'd like to reward
>>> those guys with some business for having sane licensing terms.
>>>
>>> Puckdropper
>>

>> Just looking at it, I would rather pay the price of something that I
>> am proficient with than to have to learn a 7th drawing program. But
>> at least there is a 30 day trial. I wonder what you don't get with
>> the $150 version vs the $600~$1400 versions.
>
> My little hobby business is 3D printing scale models. That means the
> more time I spend in Sketchup the longer a new model takes. If a new
> program can get me to the end faster then I'm all for it.
>
> Trimble got rid of the option to buy Sketchup Pro outright. It's now all
> rental software.

Maybe. Have you spoken to the sales staff? I talked to them before
purchasing with the new pricing 2 years ago and they said that the Pro
version is still the desktop version and iPad version and web or chrome
version. You do have to upgrade yearly if you want the improvements
and upgrades but not doing so prevents updates and improvements.
As explained to me you do not have to resubscribe to continue to use it.

That said I can easily fit $300 per year into my budget. It pays for
itself many times over with the first job each year.

One thing that is important to me with Sketchup Pro is that I can
customize the lay out, icons, short cuts, etc. IIRC the web versions
do not allow that.

BUT if this other program will write directly to SVG that saves a step.
And if it draws better that may be better for you. Also, I have drawn
caster wheels on Sketchp, converted to SVG on Sketchup and Cut those
casters out of Baltic birch with my Shaper Origin. They were round.

> Puckdropper

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<vjulshdgbuet67ukctgr0j5njvp6ompbon@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9047&group=rec.woodworking#9047

From: krw@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 15:34:23 -0500
 by: krw@notreal.com - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 20:34 UTC

On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 10:50:36 -0600, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

>On 1/19/2023 2:08 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
>> Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in

>>> Just looking at it, I would rather pay the price of something that I
>>> am proficient with than to have to learn a 7th drawing program. But
>>> at least there is a 30 day trial. I wonder what you don't get with
>>> the $150 version vs the $600~$1400 versions.
>>
>> My little hobby business is 3D printing scale models. That means the
>> more time I spend in Sketchup the longer a new model takes. If a new
>> program can get me to the end faster then I'm all for it.
>>
>> Trimble got rid of the option to buy Sketchup Pro outright. It's now all
>> rental software.
>
>Maybe. Have you spoken to the sales staff? I talked to them before
>purchasing with the new pricing 2 years ago and they said that the Pro
>version is still the desktop version and iPad version and web or chrome
>version. You do have to upgrade yearly if you want the improvements
>and upgrades but not doing so prevents updates and improvements.
>As explained to me you do not have to resubscribe to continue to use it.
>
>That said I can easily fit $300 per year into my budget. It pays for
>itself many times over with the first job each year.
>
>One thing that is important to me with Sketchup Pro is that I can
>customize the lay out, icons, short cuts, etc. IIRC the web versions
>do not allow that.

The web version is so slow that it's useless. I tried it and went
back to '17.

>BUT if this other program will write directly to SVG that saves a step.
>And if it draws better that may be better for you. Also, I have drawn
>caster wheels on Sketchp, converted to SVG on Sketchup and Cut those
>casters out of Baltic birch with my Shaper Origin. They were round.

I thought SU pro would write SVGs.

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<xoOcnYrYu-62ulb-nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9050&group=rec.woodworking#9050

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 17:43:40 -0600
From: lcb11211@swbelldotnet (Leon)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
 by: Leon - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 23:43 UTC

On 1/20/2023 2:34 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 10:50:36 -0600, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/19/2023 2:08 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
>>> Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in

>>> My little hobby business is 3D printing scale models. That means the
>>> more time I spend in Sketchup the longer a new model takes. If a new
>>> program can get me to the end faster then I'm all for it.
>>>
>>> Trimble got rid of the option to buy Sketchup Pro outright. It's now all
>>> rental software.
>>
>> Maybe. Have you spoken to the sales staff? I talked to them before
>> purchasing with the new pricing 2 years ago and they said that the Pro
>> version is still the desktop version and iPad version and web or chrome
>> version. You do have to upgrade yearly if you want the improvements
>> and upgrades but not doing so prevents updates and improvements.
>> As explained to me you do not have to resubscribe to continue to use it.
>>
>> That said I can easily fit $300 per year into my budget. It pays for
>> itself many times over with the first job each year.
>>
>> One thing that is important to me with Sketchup Pro is that I can
>> customize the lay out, icons, short cuts, etc. IIRC the web versions
>> do not allow that.
>
> The web version is so slow that it's useless. I tried it and went
> back to '17.

That is another reason that I don't use the web version. Were you by
any chance using the free web version or the paid web version?

>> BUT if this other program will write directly to SVG that saves a step.
>> And if it draws better that may be better for you. Also, I have drawn
>> caster wheels on Sketchp, converted to SVG on Sketchup and Cut those
>> casters out of Baltic birch with my Shaper Origin. They were round.
>>
> I thought SU pro would write SVGs.

With the free plugin. When you high lite a surface and right click you
select FaceSVG from the pop up window. it copies a black version of
the surface to the origin of the drawing. Right clicking the black
copy allows you to Write SVG Profile.

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<8iIyL.330764$MVg8.272887@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9052&group=rec.woodworking#9052

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: nonegiven@att.net (Bill)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 21:42:11 -0500
 by: Bill - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 02:42 UTC

On 1/20/2023 4:37 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
> Bill <nonegiven@att.net> wrote in news:0mlyL.324999$MVg8.43782@fx12.iad:
>
>> On 1/19/2023 6:15 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
>> The solid modeler (drawing) is pretty much the same, which
>>> sucks because it needs some fixes. (ROUND circles? What's that?)
>>>

>> To be fair, due to "raster graphics", in many computer applications,
>> circles are merely polygons (an ordered list of vertices). And the
>> more vertices you want, the most space it takes and the longer it
>> takes to render the geometry. I believe that SU allows you to override
>> the default number of edges or vertices for a particular circle. In
>> "old" (or new?) "vector graphics" monitors, circles might possibly
>> render better--I honestly don't know the answer, but my mind is open
>> to this possibility. When I was in school, the vector graphics monitor
>> was "that old dusty thing in the corner".
>
> When you draw a circle about 4 inches in diameter then send it to a 3D
> printer it prints out with noticable flats along the outside. With any
> other program, it will be round.
>
> I've tried increasing the number of sides, but usually hit the limits
> before I get something really round. My current solution is just not to
> print anything that requires a really large circle.
>
> Puckdropper

A circle centered at (h, k) is given by (h+r*cos(t), k+r*sin(t)), (t in
0< t<= 2*PI). Armed with that, and a "for-loop", you can choose how
many "flats" it will have, up to the limits of resolution of your
software or your 3D-printer.

Re: Sketchup: Making friends with "Follow me"

<kafpsh1mvffngn9v7od27mq5r251t5fp0r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9055&group=rec.woodworking#9055

From: krw@notreal.com
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
References: <2WqxL.673892$GNG9.657323@fx18.iad> <VRCdnQkJ3OsuV1v-nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com> <PhPxL.340951$iU59.187885@fx14.iad> <q18hsh5r4lf6b69mn8iqro37h3qrq722e2@4ax.com> <ON9yL.113975$5CY7.108452@fx46.iad> <ABydnVjg9upD71T-nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com> <JqhyL.356486$iU59.243459@fx14.iad> <5ZSdnTnF1PPBW1f-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com> <vjulshdgbuet67ukctgr0j5njvp6ompbon@4ax.com> <xoOcnYrYu-62ulb-nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 23:43:35 -0500
 by: krw@notreal.com - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 04:43 UTC

On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 17:43:40 -0600, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

>On 1/20/2023 2:34 PM, krw@notreal.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 10:50:36 -0600, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
>> wrote:

>>> Maybe. Have you spoken to the sales staff? I talked to them before
>>> purchasing with the new pricing 2 years ago and they said that the Pro
>>> version is still the desktop version and iPad version and web or chrome
>>> version. You do have to upgrade yearly if you want the improvements
>>> and upgrades but not doing so prevents updates and improvements.
>>> As explained to me you do not have to resubscribe to continue to use it.
>>>
>>> That said I can easily fit $300 per year into my budget. It pays for
>>> itself many times over with the first job each year.
>>>
>>> One thing that is important to me with Sketchup Pro is that I can
>>> customize the lay out, icons, short cuts, etc. IIRC the web versions
>>> do not allow that.
>>
>> The web version is so slow that it's useless. I tried it and went
>> back to '17.
>
>That is another reason that I don't use the web version. Were you by
>any chance using the free web version or the paid web version?
Free. Pro is a little rich for me. If I were doing this
commercially, it would be a slam dunk.