Counting in binary is just like counting in decimal -- if you are all thumbs. -- Glaser and Way

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / RE: Re: 10 speeds

SubjectAuthor
* 10 speedsTom Kunich
+* Re: 10 speedsJeff Liebermann
|+* Re: 10 speedsRoger Merriman
||`* Re: 10 speedsTom Kunich
|| `* Re: 10 speedsLou Holtman
||  +* Re: 10 speedsRoger Merriman
||  |`* Re: 10 speedsTom Kunich
||  | `- Re: 10 speedsRoger Merriman
||  `* Re: 10 speedsTom Kunich
||   `* Re: 10 speedsAMuzi
||    `* Re: 10 speedsTom Kunich
||     `- Re: 10 speedsFrank Krygowski
|`- RE: Re: 10 speedsTom Kunich
+* Re: 10 speedsTom Kunich
|`* Re: 10 speedsZen Cycle
| `* Re: 10 speedsTom Kunich
|  `- Re: 10 speedsZen Cycle
`* Re: 10 speedsZen Cycle
 +* Re: 10 speedsTom Kunich
 |`* Re: 10 speedsZen Cycle
 | `* Re: 10 speedsTom Kunich
 |  `* Re: 10 speedsZen Cycle
 |   `* Re: 10 speedsTom Kunich
 |    `* Re: 10 speedsRoger Merriman
 |     `* Re: 10 speedsTom Kunich
 |      +- Re: 10 speedsRoger Merriman
 |      +- Re: 10 speedsZen Cycle
 |      `- Re: 10 speedsJeff Liebermann
 `* Re: 10 speedsTom Kunich
  `* Re: 10 speedsZen Cycle
   `- Re: 10 speedsSir Ridesalot

Pages:12
Re: 10 speeds

<PLeoN.74651$05d8.31685@fx06.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99147&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99147

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: 10 speeds
From: roger@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 17:35:43 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 17:35 UTC

Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, January 12, 2024 at 4:57:58 AM UTC-8, Zen Cycle wrote:

>>> So, you showing us that 8 years ago you did a ride? 8 years ago, the
>>> centuries I did just in the spring were longer and had more climbing.
>>> Stop trying to show off complete bullshit and try an act like a real
>>> cyclist for a change.
>> Right tommy, I've only done one ride in the past 8 years
>> <eyeroll>...what a dipshit:
>> https://www.strava.com/athlete/training
>> 117 rides in 2023, 907 rides posted since I joined Strava in june of
>> 2016, not all of my rides were posted.
>>
>> You know what _real_ cyclists don't do? They don't make stupid claims
>> like 'you have to pedal on downhills for stability' and 'disc brakes are
>> too powerful', and certain tires have 'too much grip'. I'm sure others
>> here can bring forward more stupid comments from you that reveal your
>> ignorance about how to actually ride a bike.
>> --
>> Add xx to reply
> I have had my Garmin account for three years and have completed 644
> rides. Try to learn how to ride Mr. Last Place.

That’s hardly a significant amount? Even with 4 commutes at most per week,
and at least 1 leisure ride maybe more depending on life and so on. I’ll
clock up almost exactly the same number over 3 years, 662 rides, my Garmin
account is a year or so younger than my Strava account which i started in
2011. Had manually counted annual miles pre that.

Roger Merriman

Re: 10 speeds

<de708272-3b67-451f-94fa-b989abba7fb0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99148&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99148

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 10:49:29 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclintom@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 18:49 UTC

On Friday, January 12, 2024 at 9:35:47 AM UTC-8, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Right tommy, I've only done one ride in the past 8 years
> >> <eyeroll>...what a dipshit:
> >> https://www.strava.com/athlete/training
> >> 117 rides in 2023, 907 rides posted since I joined Strava in june of
> >> 2016, not all of my rides were posted.
> >>
> >> You know what _real_ cyclists don't do? They don't make stupid claims
> >> like 'you have to pedal on downhills for stability' and 'disc brakes are
> >> too powerful', and certain tires have 'too much grip'. I'm sure others
> >> here can bring forward more stupid comments from you that reveal your
> >> ignorance about how to actually ride a bike.
> >> --
> >> Add xx to reply
> > I have had my Garmin account for three years and have completed 644
> > rides. Try to learn how to ride Mr. Last Place.
> >
> That’s hardly a significant amount? Even with 4 commutes at most per week,
> and at least 1 leisure ride maybe more depending on life and so on. I’ll
> clock up almost exactly the same number over 3 years, 662 rides, my Garmin
> account is a year or so younger than my Strava account which i started in
> 2011. Had manually counted annual miles pre that.
>
> Roger Merriman
You commute, That means the number of rides you put in is bound to be high. If you lived here you could not commute by bicycle and you would have only your sport rides. I don't think that I'm putting in a lot of rides like I did when I was 65 and put in consecutive years of 10,000 miles necessitating rides almost every day. So I was probably averaging 300 rides per year, But try riding from Milpitas up Mt. Hamilton, down the reverse side and then on to Livermore. There is another route that is a bit longer that bypasses Mt. Hamilton. But just remember Liebermann telling everyone that I couldn't have seen a Wolf on Mt. Hamilton because it was common knowledge that there are no wolves in California. So the pictures of that wolf on the back porch of that house in Marin is an utter lie because as we all know, Liebermann is never wrong.

A normal group ride used to be up Mt. Diablo. When I rode up Mt Tamalpais, the whole upper portion to the top was a dirt track. My response was to Flunky who was bragging about the vast number of rides he has done. There was nothing wrong with the amount of rides he has done but you can hardly brag abo9ut it to 0people who wide more miles in three summer months than you do in a year and think you're insulting them.

He has shown us some pictures of himself. I could knock him off of his feet with a folick of my finger.
this shows why he delights in insulting me. He knows he is safe. because I don't hit little wannabees.

Re: 10 speeds

<F%hoN.236862$3SP6.41286@fx02.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99150&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99150

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: roger@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 21:17:25 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 21:17 UTC

Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, January 12, 2024 at 9:35:47 AM UTC-8, Roger Merriman wrote:
>> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I have had my Garmin account for three years and have completed 644
>>> rides. Try to learn how to ride Mr. Last Place.
>>>
>> That’s hardly a significant amount? Even with 4 commutes at most per week,
>> and at least 1 leisure ride maybe more depending on life and so on. I’ll
>> clock up almost exactly the same number over 3 years, 662 rides, my Garmin
>> account is a year or so younger than my Strava account which i started in
>> 2011. Had manually counted annual miles pre that.
>>
>> Roger Merriman
> You commute, That means the number of rides you put in is bound to be
> high. If you lived here you could not commute by bicycle and you would
> have only your sport rides. I don't think that I'm putting in a lot of
> rides like I did when I was 65 and put in consecutive years of 10,000
> miles necessitating rides almost every day. So I was probably averaging
> 300 rides per year, But try riding from Milpitas up Mt. Hamilton, down
> the reverse side and then on to Livermore. There is another route that
> is a bit longer that bypasses Mt. Hamilton. But just remember Liebermann
> telling everyone that I couldn't have seen a Wolf on Mt. Hamilton because
> it was common knowledge that there are no wolves in California. So the
> pictures of that wolf on the back porch of that house in Marin is an
> utter lie because as we all know, Liebermann is never wrong.

It used to be quite a significant number and distance per week but since
I’m part time now, it’s not at max it’s 4 per week ie two days, sometimes
less used to be significantly as you’d expect.

I’m fairly pragmatic about transport but I’d not discount bike for
commuting, even around my folks place who I suspect are rather more rural
since they are off the road network and similar features.

But a trip into town with a decent level of fitness and ok bike isn’t much
in it, and much less hassle parking and so on. And that’s with pitiful
levels of traffic the limiting feature being visibility.

As ever folks get used to getting around by a certain way, the famous
example is folks who know the Tube well but not there locations ie that you
can walk from station X to Y quicker or to the destination.

> A normal group ride used to be up Mt. Diablo. When I rode up Mt
> Tamalpais, the whole upper portion to the top was a dirt track. My
> response was to Flunky who was bragging about the vast number of rides he
> has done. There was nothing wrong with the amount of rides he has done
> but you can hardly brag abo9ut it to 0people who wide more miles in three
> summer months than you do in a year and think you're insulting them.
>
> He has shown us some pictures of himself. I could knock him off of his
> feet with a folick of my finger.
> this shows why he delights in insulting me. He knows he is safe. because
> I don't hit little wannabees.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 10 speeds

<unsbtk$32mj3$11@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99154&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99154

From: funkmaster@hotmail.com (Zen Cycle)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 16:45:24 -0500
 by: Zen Cycle - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 21:45 UTC

On 1/12/2024 1:49 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Friday, January 12, 2024 at 9:35:47 AM UTC-8, Roger Merriman wrote:
>> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I have had my Garmin account for three years and have completed 644
>>> rides. Try to learn how to ride Mr. Last Place.

You're also retired and live somewhere it never snows, idiot. I'm not
impressed that you only got 215 rides a year when you literally have
nothing else to do in a climate with 300 sunny days a year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco#Climate

> He has shown us some pictures of himself. I could knock him off of his feet with a folick of my finger.

You'd shit your pants if I ever confronted you.

> this shows why he delights in insulting me. He knows he is safe.

There's no way I'd ever be _un_ safe in your presence.

> because I don't hit little wannabees.

You've never hit any one, you mouthy piece of shit.

--
Add xx to reply

Re: 10 speeds

<d6k3qileqn7hrubmgqhf8vg2faeuiqaiko@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99171&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99171

From: jeffl@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 16:15:10 -0800
References: <b6e927c5-03d4-4dfb-af48-6ac0ec0ddde5n@googlegroups.com> <unn47s$2g0s0$9@dont-email.me> <b0b9b21b-2427-4766-8b8c-9ae4df073448n@googlegroups.com> <unpltm$32mj2$7@dont-email.me> <a16d9abb-7e40-4137-a720-a930776f5287n@googlegroups.com> <unrd0i$32mj2$13@dont-email.me> <a35cf813-c5c3-4421-94d9-be04c787cb79n@googlegroups.com> <PLeoN.74651$05d8.31685@fx06.ams4> <de708272-3b67-451f-94fa-b989abba7fb0n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 00:15 UTC

On Fri, 12 Jan 2024 10:49:29 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>But just remember Liebermann telling everyone that I couldn't have seen a Wolf on Mt. Hamilton because it was common knowledge that there are no wolves in California.

Google has failed me this time. All I can find is "Wolf Decking" in 3
different styles:
<https://www.wolfhomeproducts.com/decking-porch/#>
<https://www.wolfhomeproducts.com/exterior-gallery/>

We've been here before. The issue was whether there are wolves in
*NORTHERN* California, not the entire state.

(Sept 10, 2022)
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/1Nhk0L-MXjQ/m/6wdoHdW3AAAJ>
"On Sat, 10 Sep 2022 13:48:53 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>While I was climbing Mt. Hamilton I watched a wolf running across the hillside and upon mentioning it these brain dead asses declared that there were no wolves in California. It finally took statements from the California Fish and Game and sighting directly where I said I had watched this to shut these asses up.

California Fish and Game: Gray Wolf
<https://wildlife.ca.gov/conservation/mammals/gray-wolf>

Known Wolves in California
<https://wildlife.ca.gov/conservation/mammals/gray-wolf#la-559682741-known-wolves-in-california>

Me, on the night of the full moon (1997):
<http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/jeffl/jeffl-wolf.gif>
<https://members.cruzio.com/~jeffl/nooze/werewolf.txt>
"

(Aug 26, 2023)
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/YAgynT7Dw2I/m/L4-JIGK9AAAJ>
<https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/gray-wolf-or-93-california-sighting-ventura-county-16508137.php>
"Nice. OR-93 was mentioned in 2 of links I provided. Presumably you
read them. However, thank's for the link. It's good to know that
OR-93 had passed through the Bay Area on his way to Southern
California. The article is from 2021, the passage must have been
several years earlier. Not exactly breaking news for a TV news
report."

(Feb 7, 2023)
Update. Tom, you're 1/2 right. We now have a half wolf and dog
hybrid in Sebastopol:
<https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/wolf-hybrid-sebastopol-california-b2443018.html>

>So the pictures of that wolf on the back porch of that house in Marin is an utter lie because as we all know, Liebermann is never wrong.

You didn't post links to such pictures. Therefore, you lie (as
usual).

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

RE: Re: 10 speeds

<z6tCN.128822$STLe.21022@fx34.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=102076&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102076

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: cyclintom@yahoo.com (Tom Kunich)
Subject: RE: Re: 10 speeds
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 21:22:39 GMT
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 21:22 UTC

On Wed Jan 10 11:21:12 2024 Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:04:35 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
> <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >People are so interested in "Aero" that they don't realize that only 5% of the people ride fast enough for aerodynamics to make any difference.
>
> Wrong. Show your sources and calculations.
>
> "Aerodynamic Cycling: The Ultimate Guide to All Things Aero"
> <https://www.bicycling.com/skills-tips/a22107504/aerodynamic-definition-in-cycling/>
>
> "At speeds over 9 mph, it?s the dominant force of resistance. By the
> time you hit about 30 mph, 90 percent of your power goes into
> overcoming air resistance, or what scientists call aerodynamic drag."
>
> "At 10 mph, half of your power is going to overcome air resistance..."
>
> --
> Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
> PO Box 272 http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
> Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
> Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

On your best day, you are a fool. I am a large man and ride a heavy steel bike and it requires 40 watts to ride 10 mph on the hoods. To ride 20 mph requires 193 watts and you can COAST over 40 mph or 1300 watts easily. Most normal riders can ride at 15 mph or 83 watts all day long. I can ride 12 mph average while doing a ride with 1,400 feet of climbing and I am 79 and slow. When you haven't a clue what the hell you're talking about why do you continue to talk?