You are in a maze of UUCP connections, all alike.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiation

SubjectAuthor
* Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationJan Panteltje
`* Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationjohn larkin
 +- Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationBill Sloman
 `* Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationJan Panteltje
  +* Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationJohn Larkin
  |`* Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationJan Panteltje
  | `* Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationJohn Larkin
  |  +* Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationJan Panteltje
  |  |`* Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationjohn larkin
  |  | +- Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationBill Sloman
  |  | `* Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationJan Panteltje
  |  |  `* Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationJohn Larkin
  |  |   +* Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationJan Panteltje
  |  |   |`* Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationJohn Larkin
  |  |   | +* Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationJan Panteltje
  |  |   | |`* Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationJohn Larkin
  |  |   | | `- Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationBill Sloman
  |  |   | `- Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationBill Sloman
  |  |   `* Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationJeroen Belleman
  |  |    `* Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationJohn Larkin
  |  |     +* Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationJeroen Belleman
  |  |     |+- Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationBill Sloman
  |  |     |`- Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationJan Panteltje
  |  |     `- Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationBill Sloman
  |  `- Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationBill Sloman
  `* Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationjohn larkin
   `- Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiationBill Sloman

Pages:12
Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiation

<ut39ke$2o8gb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=135783&group=sci.electronics.design#135783

From: bill.sloman@ieee.org (Bill Sloman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiation
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 16:10:18 +1100
 by: Bill Sloman - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 05:10 UTC

On 16/03/2024 6:15 am, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> On 3/15/24 16:11, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Mar 2024 13:11:29 +0100, Jeroen Belleman
>> <jeroen@nospam.please> wrote:

>>> And we are skeptical of your intelligent design stance. For that
>>> matter, there are quite a few blunders in living beings that an
>>> intelligent designer wouldn't have made.
>>
>> What you call my "stance" is one conjecture. I have others that you'd
>> approve of even less.
>>
>> Our cells are extraordinary, so their creation might have been an
>> extraordinary process. Refuse to think about possibilities if that's
>> your style.
>>
>> There are youtube videos about cell replication that are mind
>> boggling. It doesn't work until a zillion fiendshly complex things all
>> work, and the cell defines them for itself.
>>
>> Thinking about possibilities helps electronic design too.
>
> There are lots of chemists and biologists who think that self-
> replicating RNA is a credible step on the path towards evolving
> life. There is no need for the seeds of life to have come from
> elsewhere than earth, although that possibility is not excluded.
>
> It's remarkable that the reproduction of RNA and DNA still today
> can be made to work simply by cycling the temperature of the right
> mixture of chemicals, much like day and night cycles, as may well
> have happened on a young earth.
>
> To our current knowledge, actual intelligent designers are even
> less probable than random mutations producing a working cell. How
> did the intelligent designers come to be? They would have been
> subject to the same kind of constraints as life on earth, the
> right conditions and enough time.
>
> In fact, as long as we haven't found evidence of life elsewhere
> in the universe, we can't have any real idea of how common or rare
> it is. However, we *can* be pretty confident that *intelligent*
> life is at least a few million times less likely than just any
> life. On those grounds, I have less trouble believing in evolution
> than in intelligent design.
>
> Darwin's evolution provides a plausible path to the complex life
> we see today, without requiring intelligent or divine intervention.
> That's its strength. Postulating such intervention is superstition
> unless direct convincing evidence is found.
>
> As for the possible existence of alien civilisations with billions
> of years advance on us, I'm skeptical. Based on what we see on earth,
> I tend to think that technically advanced civilisations are unstable.
> I think they'll blow themselves up rather quickly, on cosmic time
> scales.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Shielding spacecraft against cosmic radiation

<ut3hob$1dqbg$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=135785&group=sci.electronics.design#135785

From: alien@comet.invalid (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 07:29:15 GMT
References: <usosc0$18otd$1@solani.org> <34h1vihp32geb2olkcscfksbr8k0bdgdmu@4ax.com> <usrjfr$19rlq$1@solani.org> <ae13viptr1sskaqq1h2ru1j9i85sdecfrd@4ax.com> <usu4in$1bf46$1@solani.org> <in46vipa7a3eb6q7au6alobve5vfmv5jso@4ax.com> <usv9kg$1bn8q$1@solani.org> <s3d6vi95gfrbs6omoula55soaktalpggru@4ax.com> <ut0tb7$1cfla$1@solani.org> <eb58vidh7uivropd4lb3tjbf5iam87cid2@4ax.com> <ut1dqs$28u0u$1@dont-email.me> <6so8vi148t04904oi0knbjphrp7jbj40qq@4ax.com> <ut26kv$2e5s5$1@dont-email.me>
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.nl/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 07:29 UTC

On a sunny day (Fri, 15 Mar 2024 20:15:01 +0100) it happened Jeroen Belleman
<jeroen@nospam.please> wrote in <ut26kv$2e5s5$1@dont-email.me>:

>There are lots of chemists and biologists who think that self-
>replicating RNA is a credible step on the path towards evolving
>life. There is no need for the seeds of life to have come from
>elsewhere than earth, although that possibility is not excluded.
>
>It's remarkable that the reproduction of RNA and DNA still today
>can be made to work simply by cycling the temperature of the right
>mixture of chemicals, much like day and night cycles, as may well
>have happened on a young earth.
>
>To our current knowledge, actual intelligent designers are even
>less probable than random mutations producing a working cell. How
>did the intelligent designers come to be? They would have been
>subject to the same kind of constraints as life on earth, the
>right conditions and enough time.
>
>In fact, as long as we haven't found evidence of life elsewhere
>in the universe, we can't have any real idea of how common or rare
>it is.

http://www.gillevin.com/
partial quote from that site:
After years of study, in 1997 Dr. Levin concluded that the experiment had, indeed, detected life on the red planet,
and published his conclusion.
Subsequent findings of environmental conditions on Mars and research on organisms found in extreme environments on Earth have been consistent with his claim.

NASA is controlled by republicans and will NEVER be allowed to admit to have found life