One picture is worth 128K words.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

SubjectAuthor
* Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Csms
+* Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumRoger Merriman
|`* Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumTom Kunich
| `* Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumRoger Merriman
|  `- Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumfunkma...@hotmail.com
+* Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumZen Cycle
|+* Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumCatrike Ryder
||+- Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumRoger Merriman
||`* Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumZen Cycle
|| `- Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumTom Kunich
|`* Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumTom Kunich
| +- Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumJohn B.
| `* Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumZen Cycle
|  `- Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumTom Kunich
`* Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumJeff Liebermann
 +* Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumAMuzi
 |`- Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumZen Cycle
 `* Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumsms
  `* Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumCatrike Ryder
   +* Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumTom Kunich
   |+* Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumFrank Krygowski
   ||`* Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumZen Cycle
   || +* Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumAMuzi
   || |`- Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumTom Kunich
   || +- Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumFrank Krygowski
   || +- Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumCatrike Ryder
   || `* Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumsms
   ||  `- Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumTom Kunich
   |`* Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumJeff Liebermann
   | `- Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumJeff Liebermann
   `* Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumFrank Krygowski
    `* Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumCatrike Ryder
     `* Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumFrank Krygowski
      +* Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumCatrike Ryder
      |`- Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumTom Kunich
      `- Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, ConsumAMuzi

Pages:12
Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<uoolv4$1b1ab$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99855&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99855

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected,
Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 07:28:37 -0800
 by: sms - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 15:28 UTC

More good news about the Biden Economy!

US consumer sentiment races to 2-1/2-year high; inflation expectations
ease:
<https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-consumer-sentiment-rises-solidly-january-2024-01-19/>

Economists increasingly sure US will avoid recession -NABE survey:
<https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/economists-increasingly-sure-us-will-avoid-recession-nabe-survey-2024-01-22/>

But some bad news as well...

One person in California claims that he's getting more flat tires on his
bicycle because of Biden: <http://tinyurl.com/bidenpuncturestires>

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<y3RrN.245243$Bv8e.76211@fx12.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99857&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99857

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No
From: roger@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 15:38:06 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 15:38 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
> More good news about the Biden Economy!
>
> US consumer sentiment races to 2-1/2-year high; inflation expectations
> ease:
> <https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-consumer-sentiment-rises-solidly-january-2024-01-19/>
>
> Economists increasingly sure US will avoid recession -NABE survey:
> <https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/economists-increasingly-sure-us-will-avoid-recession-nabe-survey-2024-01-22/>
>
> But some bad news as well...
>
> One person in California claims that he's getting more flat tires on his
> bicycle because of Biden: <http://tinyurl.com/bidenpuncturestires>

He could just use tubeless which for that sort of stuff would seal up no
problem, or use more durable tires, be that cheaper heavier training type
stuff or more winter focused 4 season stuff!

In my experience which is admittedly over 10 years now road punctures are
fairly infrequent if you use one of the above mentioned tires/technology.

And this is in soggy England with flint lined lanes.

Roger Merriman

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<uooum9$pijl$9@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99861&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99861

From: funkmaster@hotmail.com (Zen Cycle)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession
Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 12:57:29 -0500
 by: Zen Cycle - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:57 UTC

On 1/23/2024 10:28 AM, sms wrote:
> More good news about the Biden Economy!
>
> US consumer sentiment races to 2-1/2-year high; inflation expectations
> ease:
> <https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-consumer-sentiment-rises-solidly-january-2024-01-19/>
>
> Economists increasingly sure US will avoid recession -NABE survey:
> <https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/economists-increasingly-sure-us-will-avoid-recession-nabe-survey-2024-01-22/>

Let's not forget the Dow and S&P indices hit all time highs this week
driven by consumer confidence.

> But some bad news as well...
>
> One person in California claims that he's getting more flat tires on his
> bicycle because of Biden: <http://tinyurl.com/bidenpuncturestires>

He'll be fine once he restocks his supply of special Campagnolo
non-stretch shifter cables.

--
Add xx to reply

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<3u00ri55bhctl0v4qhn4pkm0gdq8154vob@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99862&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99862

From: Soloman@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 13:23:25 -0500
 by: Catrike Ryder - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 18:23 UTC

On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 12:57:29 -0500, Zen Cycle <funkmaster@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On 1/23/2024 10:28 AM, sms wrote:
>> More good news about the Biden Economy!
>>
>> US consumer sentiment races to 2-1/2-year high; inflation expectations
>> ease:
>> <https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-consumer-sentiment-rises-solidly-january-2024-01-19/>
>>
>> Economists increasingly sure US will avoid recession -NABE survey:
>> <https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/economists-increasingly-sure-us-will-avoid-recession-nabe-survey-2024-01-22/>
>
>Let's not forget the Dow and S&P indices hit all time highs this week
>driven by consumer confidence.

The people seem to know that it's not because of Biden's policies.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/approval/joe-biden/approval-rating

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<fl10riljdna6l2i3g1lreak6dpgjvloa0s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99863&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99863

From: jeffl@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 10:51:34 -0800
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 18:51 UTC

On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 07:28:37 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
wrote:

>One person in California claims that he's getting more flat tires on his
>bicycle because of Biden: <http://tinyurl.com/bidenpuncturestires>

Me too, but not on my bicycles, which have always leaked air, probably
because I use NBC (Nothing But Cheapest) tubes. This time, it's the
front-left tire on my Subaru which is slowly leaking air. It's been
like that for about 2 weeks. I can't fix it myself because the
recovery from cataract surgery requires that I not lift anything
heavier than 5 lbs for a week or two after surgery. That prevents me
from plugging the leak or installing the spare tire. I've tried
calling some local tire stores. Nobody is willing to do a tire plug
or patch because of the liability problem. Of course, all of them
want to sell me 4 new tires. Meanwhile, I've been driving normally
but using a cheap portable air compressor to add air as needed. The
compressor also has its problems, so I've ordered a cheaper
replacement which should arrive shortly:
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/134849026744>

Since I didn't vote for Biden in the last election, and since I need a
scapegoat for my problems, I can only assume that Biden is doing this
to me in retaliation.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<H5UrN.489695$05d8.81671@fx06.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99865&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99865

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: roger@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 19:05:11 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 19:05 UTC

Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 12:57:29 -0500, Zen Cycle <funkmaster@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/23/2024 10:28 AM, sms wrote:
>>> More good news about the Biden Economy!
>>>
>>> US consumer sentiment races to 2-1/2-year high; inflation expectations
>>> ease:
>>> <https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-consumer-sentiment-rises-solidly-january-2024-01-19/>
>>>
>>> Economists increasingly sure US will avoid recession -NABE survey:
>>> <https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/economists-increasingly-sure-us-will-avoid-recession-nabe-survey-2024-01-22/>
>>
>> Let's not forget the Dow and S&P indices hit all time highs this week
>> driven by consumer confidence.
>>

> The people seem to know that it's not because of Biden's policies.
>
> https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/approval/joe-biden/approval-rating

Seems to be polling in favour of Trump though fairly low margins ie single
% it’s election year in uk and number of other countries as well, polling
is suggested that the Conservatives are some 20% down but never say never
as well polls can and do move and all that.

Roger Merriman

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<uop6nj$1e3fh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99867&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99867

From: am@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 14:14:44 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 20:14 UTC

On 1/23/2024 12:51 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 07:28:37 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> One person in California claims that he's getting more flat tires on his
>> bicycle because of Biden: <http://tinyurl.com/bidenpuncturestires>
>
> Me too, but not on my bicycles, which have always leaked air, probably
> because I use NBC (Nothing But Cheapest) tubes. This time, it's the
> front-left tire on my Subaru which is slowly leaking air. It's been
> like that for about 2 weeks. I can't fix it myself because the
> recovery from cataract surgery requires that I not lift anything
> heavier than 5 lbs for a week or two after surgery. That prevents me
> from plugging the leak or installing the spare tire. I've tried
> calling some local tire stores. Nobody is willing to do a tire plug
> or patch because of the liability problem. Of course, all of them
> want to sell me 4 new tires. Meanwhile, I've been driving normally
> but using a cheap portable air compressor to add air as needed. The
> compressor also has its problems, so I've ordered a cheaper
> replacement which should arrive shortly:
> <https://www.ebay.com/itm/134849026744>
>
> Since I didn't vote for Biden in the last election, and since I need a
> scapegoat for my problems, I can only assume that Biden is doing this
> to me in retaliation.

I also have found that auto and name-brand tire stores don't
want that sort of work. Ask around for a good general or
classic auto mechanic. My engine builder's shop does
nail/screw extractions with a plug faster than tire stores
can install a new tire. It's attitude more than anything.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<uopakl$pijk$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99870&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99870

From: funkmaster@hotmail.com (Zen Cycle)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 16:21:25 -0500
 by: Zen Cycle - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 21:21 UTC

On 1/23/2024 1:23 PM, floriduh dumbass wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 12:57:29 -0500, Zen Cycle <funkmaster@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/23/2024 10:28 AM, sms wrote:
>>> More good news about the Biden Economy!
>>>
>>> US consumer sentiment races to 2-1/2-year high; inflation expectations
>>> ease:
>>> <https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-consumer-sentiment-rises-solidly-january-2024-01-19/>
>>>
>>> Economists increasingly sure US will avoid recession -NABE survey:
>>> <https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/economists-increasingly-sure-us-will-avoid-recession-nabe-survey-2024-01-22/>
>>
>> Let's not forget the Dow and S&P indices hit all time highs this week
>> driven by consumer confidence.
>>

> The people seem to know that it's not because of Biden's policies.
>
> https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/approval/joe-biden/approval-rating

Yeah, it must be because of trumps policies.

meanwhile, this aged well:
https://customstickers.com/products/i-did-that-sticker-joe-biden-gas-station

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/gasoline

--
Add xx to reply

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<uopauv$pijl$10@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99871&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99871

From: funkmaster@hotmail.com (Zen Cycle)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 16:26:55 -0500
 by: Zen Cycle - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 21:26 UTC

On 1/23/2024 3:14 PM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 1/23/2024 12:51 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 07:28:37 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> One person in California claims that he's getting more flat tires on his
>>> bicycle because of Biden: <http://tinyurl.com/bidenpuncturestires>
>>
>> Me too, but not on my bicycles, which have always leaked air, probably
>> because I use NBC (Nothing But Cheapest) tubes.  This time, it's the
>> front-left tire on my Subaru which is slowly leaking air.  It's been
>> like that for about 2 weeks.  I can't fix it myself because the
>> recovery from cataract surgery requires that I not lift anything
>> heavier than 5 lbs for a week or two after surgery.  That prevents me
>> from plugging the leak or installing the spare tire.  I've tried
>> calling some local tire stores.  Nobody is willing to do a tire plug
>> or patch because of the liability problem.  Of course, all of them
>> want to sell me 4 new tires.  Meanwhile, I've been driving normally
>> but using a cheap portable air compressor to add air as needed.  The
>> compressor also has its problems, so I've ordered a cheaper
>> replacement which should arrive shortly:
>> <https://www.ebay.com/itm/134849026744>
>>
>> Since I didn't vote for Biden in the last election, and since I need a
>> scapegoat for my problems, I can only assume that Biden is doing this
>> to me in retaliation.
>>

> I also have found that auto and name-brand tire stores don't want that
> sort of work.  Ask around for a good general or classic auto mechanic.
> My engine builder's shop does nail/screw extractions with a plug faster
> than tire stores can install a new tire. It's attitude more than anything.

+1
Same in this area. Chain stores won't repair a tire, the small
independent garages will.

It's attributed to liability, but more likely they'd rather sell you a
new tire, and if the tire being replaced has any appreciable wear, they
won't sell you just one.

--
Add xx to reply

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<768e89fe-2fe4-4488-9f97-df3094be06e4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99873&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99873

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 13:37:50 -0800 (PST)
Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires
From: cyclintom@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 21:37 UTC

On Tuesday, January 23, 2024 at 7:38:10 AM UTC-8, Roger Merriman wrote:
> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> > More good news about the Biden Economy!
> >
> > US consumer sentiment races to 2-1/2-year high; inflation expectations
> > ease:
> > <https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-consumer-sentiment-rises-solidly-january-2024-01-19/>
> >
> > Economists increasingly sure US will avoid recession -NABE survey:
> > <https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/economists-increasingly-sure-us-will-avoid-recession-nabe-survey-2024-01-22/>
> >
> > But some bad news as well...
> >
> > One person in California claims that he's getting more flat tires on his
> > bicycle because of Biden: <http://tinyurl.com/bidenpuncturestires>
> >
> He could just use tubeless which for that sort of stuff would seal up no
> problem, or use more durable tires, be that cheaper heavier training type
> stuff or more winter focused 4 season stuff!
>
> In my experience which is admittedly over 10 years now road punctures are
> fairly infrequent if you use one of the above mentioned tires/technology.
>
> And this is in soggy England with flint lined lanes.
>
> Roger Merriman
The idea of tubeless is not at all bad. The practice though, is. You have to buy special expensive tires, special fillers, special sealant, and special tools. They are very difficult to get on and many of them are difficult to get to start sealing. To the point that it takes someone that has dealt with these problems before. Usually that is only on the first installation and after that they're OK but not all of the time. You haven't lived until you speed away from a stop sign, had the tire throw off of the rim and be thrown out in the middle of traffic speeding away from the stop light. So you have to be sure that it actually says TLR on the tires and not take the word of someone else.

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<bb2a634b-cd4a-48af-979a-3c1f01a5cc57n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99874&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99874

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 13:40:34 -0800 (PST)
Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires
From: cyclintom@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 21:40 UTC

On Tuesday, January 23, 2024 at 9:57:35 AM UTC-8, Zen Cycle wrote:
> On 1/23/2024 10:28 AM, sms wrote:
> > More good news about the Biden Economy!
> >
> > US consumer sentiment races to 2-1/2-year high; inflation expectations
> > ease:
> > <https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-consumer-sentiment-rises-solidly-january-2024-01-19/>
> >
> > Economists increasingly sure US will avoid recession -NABE survey:
> > <https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/economists-increasingly-sure-us-will-avoid-recession-nabe-survey-2024-01-22/>
> Let's not forget the Dow and S&P indices hit all time highs this week
> driven by consumer confidence.
> >
> > But some bad news as well...
> >
> > One person in California claims that he's getting more flat tires on his
> > bicycle because of Biden: <http://tinyurl.com/bidenpuncturestires>
> He'll be fine once he restocks his supply of special Campagnolo
> non-stretch shifter cables.
>
> --
> Add xx to reply

How much money d0o YOU have in the market? Most people know that the market tracks inflation and not "investor confidence". Since you have zero investment in the market you can say anything you like without having actual knowledge to slow you down.

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<2a1d0c36-640b-4931-a18d-4151c91bc90cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99875&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99875

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 13:42:58 -0800 (PST)
Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires
From: cyclintom@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 21:42 UTC

On Tuesday, January 23, 2024 at 1:21:30 PM UTC-8, Zen Cycle wrote:
> On 1/23/2024 1:23 PM, floriduh dumbass wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 12:57:29 -0500, Zen Cycle <funkm...@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Let's not forget the Dow and S&P indices hit all time highs this week
> >> driven by consumer confidence.
> >>

> > The people seem to know that it's not because of Biden's policies.
> >
> > https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/approval/joe-biden/approval-rating
> Yeah, it must be because of trumps policies.
>
> meanwhile, this aged well:
> https://customstickers.com/products/i-did-that-sticker-joe-biden-gas-station
>
> https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/gasoline
> --
> Add xx to reply

What to bet who the next election will favor?

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<prd0rithl3u1k6lpg6epknsj06ucmtmmgp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99877&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99877

From: slocombjb@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 05:26:05 +0700
 by: John B. - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 22:26 UTC

On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 13:40:34 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 23, 2024 at 9:57:35?AM UTC-8, Zen Cycle wrote:
>> On 1/23/2024 10:28 AM, sms wrote:
>> > More good news about the Biden Economy!
>> >
>> > US consumer sentiment races to 2-1/2-year high; inflation expectations
>> > ease:
>> > <https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-consumer-sentiment-rises-solidly-january-2024-01-19/>
>> >
>> > Economists increasingly sure US will avoid recession -NABE survey:
>> > <https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/economists-increasingly-sure-us-will-avoid-recession-nabe-survey-2024-01-22/>
>> Let's not forget the Dow and S&P indices hit all time highs this week
>> driven by consumer confidence.
>> >
>> > But some bad news as well...
>> >
>> > One person in California claims that he's getting more flat tires on his
>> > bicycle because of Biden: <http://tinyurl.com/bidenpuncturestires>
>> He'll be fine once he restocks his supply of special Campagnolo
>> non-stretch shifter cables.
>>
>> --
>> Add xx to replyr
>
>How much money d0o YOU have in the market? Most
people know that the market tracks inflation and not "investor
confidence". Since you have zero investment in the market you can say
anything you like without having actual knowledge to slow you down.

You might want to have a look at
https://www.nyif.com/articles/investor-confidence-measurement-3-effective-tools
"Investor confidence is one of the main drivers of equity markets. "
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<uopepk$pijl$11@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99878&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99878

From: funkmaster@hotmail.com (Zen Cycle)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:32:20 -0500
 by: Zen Cycle - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 22:32 UTC

On 1/23/2024 4:40 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 23, 2024 at 9:57:35 AM UTC-8, Zen Cycle wrote:
>> On 1/23/2024 10:28 AM, sms wrote:
>>> More good news about the Biden Economy!
>>>
>>> US consumer sentiment races to 2-1/2-year high; inflation expectations
>>> ease:
>>> <https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-consumer-sentiment-rises-solidly-january-2024-01-19/>
>>>
>>> Economists increasingly sure US will avoid recession -NABE survey:
>>> <https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/economists-increasingly-sure-us-will-avoid-recession-nabe-survey-2024-01-22/>
>> Let's not forget the Dow and S&P indices hit all time highs this week
>> driven by consumer confidence.
>>>
>>> But some bad news as well...
>>>
>>> One person in California claims that he's getting more flat tires on his
>>> bicycle because of Biden: <http://tinyurl.com/bidenpuncturestires>
>> He'll be fine once he restocks his supply of special Campagnolo
>> non-stretch shifter cables.
>>
>> --
>> Add xx to reply
>
> How much money d0o YOU have in the market?

More than you.

> Most people know that the market tracks inflation and not "investor confidence".

Then most people would be wrong.

https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2021/10/inflation-vs-stock-market-returns/
"There’s no clear pattern here."

As far as confidence having no effect on the markets:

First off, I wrote "Consumer confidence" not "investor confidence" you
dumb shit. Consumer confidence is a leading indicator:
https://investorplace.com/2024/01/wall-streets-bullish-surprise-what-the-surge-in-consumer-confidence-means-for-stocks/
"Given the upbeat consumer confidence numbers, the economy’s strength,
the boost that the tech sector is getting from AI, and the Fed’s
intention to cut rates, the short-term and medium-term outlook for
stocks is quite positive. "

And even if I did write "investor confidence", you'd still be wrong. Not
just a little wrong, but completely, unequivocally, demonstrably, and
massively wrong:
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/state-street-confidence-index.asp
"The stock market is significantly impacted by investor confidence. When
investor confidence is high, purchasing activity and stock demand often
grow."

> Since you have zero investment in the market you can say anything you like without having actual knowledge to slow you down.

No matter how many millions you claim to be worth, and how many tens of
thousands of dollars you claim to be making a month off your
investments, we know the truth about you - you're basically broke.
People who actually _are_ making $12K/month from investments don't make
stupid fucking statements like " Most people know that the market tracks
inflation and not "investor confidence"."

--
Add xx to reply

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<U16sN.547003$Xtu6.18294@fx03.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99893&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99893

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: roger@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 10:56:52 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 10:56 UTC

Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 23, 2024 at 7:38:10 AM UTC-8, Roger Merriman wrote:
>> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>>> More good news about the Biden Economy!
>>>
>>> US consumer sentiment races to 2-1/2-year high; inflation expectations
>>> ease:
>>> <https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-consumer-sentiment-rises-solidly-january-2024-01-19/>
>>>

>>> Economists increasingly sure US will avoid recession -NABE survey:
>>> <https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/economists-increasingly-sure-us-will-avoid-recession-nabe-survey-2024-01-22/>
>>>

>>> But some bad news as well...
>>>
>>> One person in California claims that he's getting more flat tires on his
>>> bicycle because of Biden: <http://tinyurl.com/bidenpuncturestires>
>>>
>> He could just use tubeless which for that sort of stuff would seal up no
>> problem, or use more durable tires, be that cheaper heavier training type
>> stuff or more winter focused 4 season stuff!
>>
>> In my experience which is admittedly over 10 years now road punctures are
>> fairly infrequent if you use one of the above mentioned tires/technology.
>>
>> And this is in soggy England with flint lined lanes.
>>
>> Roger Merriman
> The idea of tubeless is not at all bad. The practice though, is. You have
> to buy special expensive tires, special fillers, special sealant, and
> special tools. They are very difficult to get on and many of them are
> difficult to get to start sealing. To the point that it takes someone
> that has dealt with these problems before. Usually that is only on the
> first installation and after that they're OK but not all of the time. You
> haven't lived until you speed away from a stop sign, had the tire throw
> off of the rim and be thrown out in the middle of traffic speeding away
> from the stop light. So you have to be sure that it actually says TLR on
> the tires and not take the word of someone else.

Worse I’ve had is punctures that would not seal.

To have the tire come off you’ve done something spectacularly wrong, I do
get the bike shop to install as they have the space and kit to do this and
frankly it’s a price of a coffee/cake on top of new tires.

I don’t have the kit or space or inclination to do this.

Roger Merriman

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<uor5ln$1r5kq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99898&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99898

From: scharf.steven@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 06:08:53 -0800
 by: sms - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 14:08 UTC

On 1/23/2024 10:51 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 07:28:37 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> One person in California claims that he's getting more flat tires on his
>> bicycle because of Biden: <http://tinyurl.com/bidenpuncturestires>
>
> Me too, but not on my bicycles, which have always leaked air, probably
> because I use NBC (Nothing But Cheapest) tubes. This time, it's the
> front-left tire on my Subaru which is slowly leaking air. It's been
> like that for about 2 weeks. I can't fix it myself because the
> recovery from cataract surgery requires that I not lift anything
> heavier than 5 lbs for a week or two after surgery. That prevents me
> from plugging the leak or installing the spare tire. I've tried
> calling some local tire stores. Nobody is willing to do a tire plug
> or patch because of the liability problem.

Odd, since Americas Tire/Discount Tire will fix tires, for free, with a
plug, just had a colleague from Boulder Creek who got a tire repaired at
America's Tire in Campbell. Costco also patches tires that are sold by
them. In fact I drove to Santa Cruz a few months ago to get a slow leak
fixed because it was the only Costco where I could get an appointment
quickly.

Even higher quality rubber tubes slowly lose air, just a little more
slowly. You could inflate with pure nitrogen since nitrogen molecules
are larger and leak through butyl more slowly. Nitrogen inflation is
available for free outside Costco tire centers but not suitable for
high-pressure road bike tires since, IIRC, it's limited to 80 PSI.

Biden voters are not getting so many flat tires because Democratic
voters have higher educational levels which makes them more likely to
ride intelligently. "Voters who identify with the Democratic Party or
lean toward it are much more likely than their Republican counterparts
to have a college degree (41% vs. 30%). In 1996, the reverse was true:
27% of GOP voters had a college degree, compared with 22% of Democratic
voters." So not voting for "the orange one" will help you.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<p172rihoho1igh9l5k4c40ju30rj0llv7r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99899&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99899

From: Soloman@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 09:22:12 -0500
 by: Catrike Ryder - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 14:22 UTC

On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 06:08:53 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
wrote:

>On 1/23/2024 10:51 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 07:28:37 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> One person in California claims that he's getting more flat tires on his
>>> bicycle because of Biden: <http://tinyurl.com/bidenpuncturestires>
>>
>> Me too, but not on my bicycles, which have always leaked air, probably
>> because I use NBC (Nothing But Cheapest) tubes. This time, it's the
>> front-left tire on my Subaru which is slowly leaking air. It's been
>> like that for about 2 weeks. I can't fix it myself because the
>> recovery from cataract surgery requires that I not lift anything
>> heavier than 5 lbs for a week or two after surgery. That prevents me
>> from plugging the leak or installing the spare tire. I've tried
>> calling some local tire stores. Nobody is willing to do a tire plug
>> or patch because of the liability problem.
>
>Odd, since Americas Tire/Discount Tire will fix tires, for free, with a
>plug, just had a colleague from Boulder Creek who got a tire repaired at
>America's Tire in Campbell. Costco also patches tires that are sold by
>them. In fact I drove to Santa Cruz a few months ago to get a slow leak
>fixed because it was the only Costco where I could get an appointment
>quickly.
>
>Even higher quality rubber tubes slowly lose air, just a little more
>slowly. You could inflate with pure nitrogen since nitrogen molecules
>are larger and leak through butyl more slowly. Nitrogen inflation is
>available for free outside Costco tire centers but not suitable for
>high-pressure road bike tires since, IIRC, it's limited to 80 PSI.
>
>Biden voters are not getting so many flat tires because Democratic
>voters have higher educational levels which makes them more likely to
>ride intelligently. "Voters who identify with the Democratic Party or
>lean toward it are much more likely than their Republican counterparts
>to have a college degree (41% vs. 30%). In 1996, the reverse was true:
>27% of GOP voters had a college degree, compared with 22% of Democratic
>voters." So not voting for "the orange one" will help you.

I wonder how many of those Democrat's degrees are in "gender studies."

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<d47df22f-9146-4771-929c-917bc17e9006n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99901&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99901

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 06:54:53 -0800 (PST)
Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires
From: funkmasterxx@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 14:54 UTC

On Wednesday, January 24, 2024 at 5:56:57 AM UTC-5, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> He could just use tubeless which for that sort of stuff would seal up no
> >> problem, or use more durable tires, be that cheaper heavier training type
> >> stuff or more winter focused 4 season stuff!
> >>
> >> In my experience which is admittedly over 10 years now road punctures are
> >> fairly infrequent if you use one of the above mentioned tires/technology.
> >>
> >> And this is in soggy England with flint lined lanes.
> >>
> >> Roger Merriman
> > The idea of tubeless is not at all bad. The practice though, is. You have
> > to buy special expensive tires, special fillers, special sealant, and
> > special tools. They are very difficult to get on and many of them are
> > difficult to get to start sealing. To the point that it takes someone
> > that has dealt with these problems before. Usually that is only on the
> > first installation and after that they're OK but not all of the time. You
> > haven't lived until you speed away from a stop sign, had the tire throw
> > off of the rim and be thrown out in the middle of traffic speeding away
> > from the stop light. So you have to be sure that it actually says TLR on
> > the tires and not take the word of someone else.
> >
> Worse I’ve had is punctures that would not seal.
>
> To have the tire come off you’ve done something spectacularly wrong,

Well, this _is_ tommy you're talking to.

I do
> get the bike shop to install as they have the space and kit to do this and
> frankly it’s a price of a coffee/cake on top of new tires.
>
> I don’t have the kit or space or inclination to do this.
>
> Roger Merriman

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<edf10b02-4927-4cc2-aa55-1e05a0de2c6en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99910&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99910

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 10:09:46 -0800 (PST)
Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires
From: cyclintom@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 18:09 UTC

On Tuesday, January 23, 2024 at 2:32:24 PM UTC-8, Zen Cycle wrote:
> On 1/23/2024 4:40 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> >> Let's not forget the Dow and S&P indices hit all time highs this week
> >> driven by consumer confidence.

> >> He'll be fine once he restocks his supply of special Campagnolo
> >> non-stretch shifter cables.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Add xx to reply
> >
> > How much money d0o YOU have in the market?
> More than you.
> > Most people know that the market tracks inflation and not "investor confidence".
> Then most people would be wrong.
>
> https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2021/10/inflation-vs-stock-market-returns/
> "There’s no clear pattern here."
>
> As far as confidence having no effect on the markets:
>
> First off, I wrote "Consumer confidence" not "investor confidence" you
> dumb shit. Consumer confidence is a leading indicator:
> https://investorplace.com/2024/01/wall-streets-bullish-surprise-what-the-surge-in-consumer-confidence-means-for-stocks/
> "Given the upbeat consumer confidence numbers, the economy’s strength,
> the boost that the tech sector is getting from AI, and the Fed’s
> intention to cut rates, the short-term and medium-term outlook for
> stocks is quite positive. "
>
> And even if I did write "investor confidence", you'd still be wrong. Not
> just a little wrong, but completely, unequivocally, demonstrably, and
> massively wrong:
> https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/state-street-confidence-index.asp
> "The stock market is significantly impacted by investor confidence. When
> investor confidence is high, purchasing activity and stock demand often
> grow."
> > Since you have zero investment in the market you can say anything you like without having actual knowledge to slow you down.
> No matter how many millions you claim to be worth, and how many tens of
> thousands of dollars you claim to be making a month off your
> investments, we know the truth about you - you're basically broke.
> People who actually _are_ making $12K/month from investments don't make
> stupid fucking statements like " Most people know that the market tracks
> inflation and not "investor confidence"."
> --
> Add xx to reply
I'm sure that you can find articles from the Biden administration that say anything. But because you will believe anything you're one of life's fa8ilures. You lack the ability to th8ink for yourself and like Liebermann have nothing. You don't believe I have money? Good. I think that it is a good idea that you don't think that anyone is smarter than you, that makes it easy to outsmart you with a banana peel.

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<5d9c6394-742a-4db3-81b9-6e6b5a4192fcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99912&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99912

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 10:20:55 -0800 (PST)
Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires
From: cyclintom@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 18:20 UTC

On Wednesday, January 24, 2024 at 6:22:18 AM UTC-8, Catrike Ryder wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 06:08:53 -0800, sms <scharf...@geemail.com>
> wrote:
> >On 1/23/2024 10:51 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> >> Me too, but not on my bicycles, which have always leaked air, probably
> >> because I use NBC (Nothing But Cheapest) tubes. This time, it's the
> >> front-left tire on my Subaru which is slowly leaking air. It's been
> >> like that for about 2 weeks. I can't fix it myself because the
> >> recovery from cataract surgery requires that I not lift anything
> >> heavier than 5 lbs for a week or two after surgery. That prevents me
> >> from plugging the leak or installing the spare tire. I've tried
> >> calling some local tire stores. Nobody is willing to do a tire plug
> >> or patch because of the liability problem.
> >
> >Odd, since Americas Tire/Discount Tire will fix tires, for free, with a
> >plug, just had a colleague from Boulder Creek who got a tire repaired at
> >America's Tire in Campbell. Costco also patches tires that are sold by
> >them. In fact I drove to Santa Cruz a few months ago to get a slow leak
> >fixed because it was the only Costco where I could get an appointment
> >quickly.
> >
> >Even higher quality rubber tubes slowly lose air, just a little more
> >slowly. You could inflate with pure nitrogen since nitrogen molecules
> >are larger and leak through butyl more slowly. Nitrogen inflation is
> >available for free outside Costco tire centers but not suitable for
> >high-pressure road bike tires since, IIRC, it's limited to 80 PSI.
> >
> >Biden voters are not getting so many flat tires because Democratic
> >voters have higher educational levels which makes them more likely to
> >ride intelligently. "Voters who identify with the Democratic Party or
> >lean toward it are much more likely than their Republican counterparts
> >to have a college degree (41% vs. 30%). In 1996, the reverse was true:
> >27% of GOP voters had a college degree, compared with 22% of Democratic
> >voters." So not voting for "the orange one" will help you.
> I wonder how many of those Democrat's degrees are in "gender studies."
Again this year I paid zero taxes. I guess it paid to get Roth IRA's By law I have to withdraw a certain percentage of my IRA's every year over 75 so I'm doing that and reinvesting it in funds. seems to be working well while Flunky and Liebermann believe that people invest according to the way they feel when the markets open. No wonder neither one of them have squat.

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<uorroa$1ul5p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99914&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99914

From: frkrygow@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:25:45 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 20:25 UTC

On 1/24/2024 9:22 AM, Catrike Ryder wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 06:08:53 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
> wrote:... Democratic
>> voters have higher educational levels which makes them more likely to
>> ride intelligently. "Voters who identify with the Democratic Party or
>> lean toward it are much more likely than their Republican counterparts
>> to have a college degree (41% vs. 30%). In 1996, the reverse was true:
>> 27% of GOP voters had a college degree, compared with 22% of Democratic
>> voters." So not voting for "the orange one" will help you.
>
> I wonder how many of those Democrat's degrees are in "gender studies."

:-) That's the sort of thing an under-educated right winger would ask!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<uorrrp$1ul5p$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99915&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99915

From: frkrygow@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:27:36 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 20:27 UTC

On 1/24/2024 1:20 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> Again this year I paid zero taxes.

Nope. That's totally wrong, Tom.

Besides, people of your political persuasion are not allowed to mention
taxes without complaining! You're going to get yourself shunned by the
MAGA maggots.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<1433rit862rp8s5s0p4ao32sav02hvv3sc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99921&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99921

From: Soloman@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 17:26:48 -0500
 by: Catrike Ryder - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 22:26 UTC

On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:25:45 -0500, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 1/24/2024 9:22 AM, Catrike Ryder wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 06:08:53 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
>> wrote:... Democratic
>>> voters have higher educational levels which makes them more likely to
>>> ride intelligently. "Voters who identify with the Democratic Party or
>>> lean toward it are much more likely than their Republican counterparts
>>> to have a college degree (41% vs. 30%). In 1996, the reverse was true:
>>> 27% of GOP voters had a college degree, compared with 22% of Democratic
>>> voters." So not voting for "the orange one" will help you.
>>
>> I wonder how many of those Democrat's degrees are in "gender studies."
>
>:-) That's the sort of thing an under-educated right winger would ask!

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/articles/what-gender-studies-is-and-how-to-use-the-degree

It seems that a gender studies degree is a popular pursuit, along with
a few other relatively worthless degrees like theater and dance, and
underwater basket weaving.

I'm sure am Glad that I bailed out and went my own way. I retired when
I was 52 years old.

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<g483rih1jkgveta2s1pcb4kh8u75vk3ffn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99930&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99930

From: jeffl@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:58:51 -0800
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 23:58 UTC

On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 10:20:55 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>Again this year I paid zero taxes.

Baloney or at least a bad lie if you really have millions of dollars
in investments (in 2023):

06/24/2023
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/5ePyZOO6V9g/m/SUaP7P6lAAAJ>
"Last month I lost $7,000 from my investments. Bad news for them is
that I still have well over a million dollars."

>I guess it paid to get Roth IRA's. By law I have to withdraw a certain percentage of my IRA's every year over 75 so I'm doing that and reinvesting it in funds.

Nope. Regular IRA's require that you begin withdrawals after age 72.
Roth IRA's a more complexicatated because the beneficiary of your Roth
IRA might be required to make tax payments. As for reinvesting, you
can't be your own beneficiary:
<https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-required-minimum-distributions-rmds>

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Re: Good News and Bad News about the U.S. Economy--No Recession Expected, Consumer Confidence is Up, but More Bicycle Flat Tires

<po93ri1lqcac1j9e4tjhpep8onrn36fh8c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=99931&group=rec.bicycles.tech#99931

From: jeffl@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 16:11:32 -0800
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 00:11 UTC

On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:58:51 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>Nope. Regular IRA's require that you begin withdrawals after age 72.

Oops. That should be "at age 72".