From: cd@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Circuit Analysis with LTSpice: 12-V Lamp Flasher
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 19:34:53 +0000
References: <psgcsitv9sesj2updk5mno0s1ohr9j99mb@4ax.com> <rekcsitpqlfepftbh0r61p2pv5l04umktu@4ax.com> <fllcsilrqje0tu8iarhhl37gr1c5emcoo8@4ax.com> <uq5mm6$1ivcs$1@solani.org> <20240209a@crcomp.net> <uq7gab$340lu$3@dont-email.me> <20240210a@crcomp.net> <uq8q0r$225q$1@dont-email.me> <qs7gsi9c2ob7akb5pp0rqevjvljh3ak34o@4ax.com> <uqa4j6$tsb7$1@dont-email.me> <o6phsihhjju1n4rhocb94ioi5vpcju533c@4ax.com> <je1isittughq4f5kai705kqvgjk61ei4vl@4ax.com> <fp3isilqqelt0e7spleqlngnsm43jr123m@4ax.com>
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 19:34 UTC

On Sun, 11 Feb 2024 10:32:32 -0800, John Larkin <jl@997PotHill.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Feb 2024 17:40:10 +0000, Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 11 Feb 2024 07:28:39 -0800, John Larkin <jl@997PotHill.com>
>>wrote:

>>>I think that most xtal sets do some sort of impedance matching from
>>>the antenna up into the main coil, taps on the coil or an extra
>>>winding. A really longwire antanna will have a lot of capacitance and
>>>an equivalent lowish impedance.
>>>
>>>The people who have made xtal sets over the last century or so don't
>>>seem to have been very quantitative.
>>>
>>>I've wondered if I can slurp enought power out of the air to light an
>>>LED. My office is in a wooden building about 3 miles from Sutro Tower.
>>>Castro valley is a bowl that I suspect focusses the RF onto us.
>>
>>LEDs require relatively large amounts of current, so I don't see how
>>that would be possible, John. There's only *one* bloke I can think of
>>who could conceivably pull that off and he's long dead, sadly.
>>Edison's nemesis:
>>
>>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla
>
>A good LED is visible in typical room light at 1 uA, which would be
>about 2 uW. I'd imagine that a modest antenna and a decent detector
>could do much better than that.
>
>The difference between a crystal set and lighting an LED is that the
>LED case should use the entire spectrum, AM TV FM, which is densely
>packed where I am. That would take some thinking.

Neon or similar would be far more easily achievable I reckon.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: Circuit Analysis with LTSpice: 12-V Lamp Flasher

By: John Larkin on Fri, 9 Feb 2024

45John Larkin