From: clare@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Destructive Lock Nuts Suck
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 23:42:10 -0400
References: <uvc4o3$2hrcg$1@dont-email.me> <uvc5ea$2hthv$1@dont-email.me> <uvc61b$2hrcg$2@dont-email.me> <2lbj1jhgckevkgmm9l68ccvln139p8fmhh@4ax.com> <uvcbh7$2jb8r$1@dont-email.me> <uvdsg5$307pj$1@dont-email.me> <80jl1jpp7v5d5orgupl694set0rmo5orft@4ax.com> <uvejst$34tnn$1@dont-email.me> <jovl1jdrvt4cqrlv4jkd3rr53rpekp6lqh@4ax.com> <63cm1jhbr4bvieeubrsbt82b8va465jcra@4ax.com> <p81o1jh5kfhm0h2m6c5v03drudac6amqhj@4ax.com>
 by: Clare Snyder - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 03:42 UTC

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 13:08:35 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Apr 2024 21:39:58 -0400, Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 13 Apr 2024 18:16:20 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
>>wrote:

>>>True, not those words, but this:
>>>
>>>"Somewhere on a long flat Southwest of Globe/Miami I glanced in the
>>>mirror to see one of the hooks for a front strap laying on the trailer
>>>deck. The strap broke where it went over the frame.  Fortunately I had
>>>left the winch cable tight or I might have lost the truck."
>>>
>>>Losing the truck on the highway is likely to cause a accident, and
>>>maybe a double accident (the departing truck may go sidewise,
>>>destabilizing the truck pulling or carrying everything). Free-range
>>>rolling truck tires are bad enough. Bloodcurdling.
>>>
>>>This would have terrified me for sure.

>>>I would submit that compared to the cost of an accident, a few Drake
>>>Nuts are insignificant.
>>>

>>>By the way, Drake Nuts were invented in the 1910s, US 1,271,449.
>>>
>>>And the analysis I couldn't remember was published in July 1922, and
>>>did compare the Drake Nut with the thin jam nut with regular nut (with
>>>jam nut between the big nut and whatever is being clamped). Drake
>>>Nuts worked regardless, but the big nut and jam nut assembly would
>>>shake loose. But this was before Loctite; this ought to work. The
>>>distorted nuts were also analyzed, and didn't win.
>>>
>>>Joe
>> For suspension bolts I like flanged locknuts. NEVER split lock
>>washers!!.
>
>Agree - they are useless, as are the star lock washers.
>

>> A serated nut with attached serated washer (LoxNut) is the
>>cat's ass. WhizLock nuts are a close second - particularly when
>>installed with medium lock-tite.
>
>Google didn't find LoxNut - buried under food stuff. URL?
>
>WhizNut did work, and it's only for cases where the thing being
>clamped is a good bit softer than the nut.
><https://www.mcmaster.com/products/whiz-nuts/>
>

>>Fijilok nuts work very well on adjustable threaded linkage - better
>>than NyLok
>
>Fijilok not found, buried under irrelevant stuff.
>

>> Flanged side distortion or top distortion nuts work well too -
>>particularly with medium lock-tite.
>
>Do distorted nuts with loctite work better than plain nuts with
>loctite?

Can't beat "belt and suspenders" - but always MEDIUM thread lock - if
I need to get out the torch to release the thread lock I mayas well
burn the sucker off!!!

>>If you MUST use lock washers, Nord-Lock or Disk-Lock. Either one
>>requires 50% more torque to remove than the install torque (torque
>>stud to 100 lb/ft and it takes 150 to break it loose)
>

>Nord-Lock is very good. <https://www.nord-lock.com/en-us/>
>
>I had to look Disk-Lock up. <https://www.sherex.com/>
>
>It is the Nord-Lock system (whose patents must have expired by now),
>cloned and maybe improved. I would assume that it is also very good.
>
>But I do think that while expensive, Drake Nuts are a whole lot
>better. But this is the right conversation to be having.

Never seen a Drake before - ompressive.
Ever run into a Key-Lok? Equivalent to hitting the top thread with an
arc welder. That sucker is NEVER coming off - even if you want it
to!!!

>War story. A family member was towing a boat trailer, but had not
>attached the safety chains properly. If that trailer came loose,
>someone was going to die. Whereupon I put my foot down and made him
>use beefy threaded quick links.
>
><https://www.mcmaster.com/products/quick-links/>
>
>So, I'd also consider adding some safety chains.
>

>Joe Gwinn
I had a tent trailer jump off the ball once. Had good safety chains
crossed under the hitch but the toung jack took the abuse. It had a
rubber tire on it and by the time I got stopped it was worn to a cone
shape after attempting to drag the trailer off to the curb. From then
on I always BOLTED the hitch latch - using a nylock nut. Still don't
know how the clevis pin got out or why the latch released - I'm
CERTAIN I latched it - - - -

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Destructive Lock Nuts Suck

By: Bob La Londe on Fri, 12 Apr 2024