Stellar rays prove fibbing never pays. Embezzlement is another matter.

aus+uk / uk.telecom / Re: Installation of fibre

SubjectAuthor
* Installation of fibreScott
+* Re: Installation of fibreAndy Burns
|+* Re: Installation of fibreScott
||+* Re: Installation of fibreTim+
|||`* Re: Installation of fibreScott
||| `* Re: Installation of fibreAndy Burns
|||  +* Re: Installation of fibreJeff Layman
|||  |`* Re: Installation of fibreTheo
|||  | +* Re: Installation of fibreScott
|||  | |`- Re: Installation of fibreTheo
|||  | `- Re: Installation of fibreTweed
|||  `- Re: Installation of fibreMark Carver
||`* Re: Installation of fibreThe Natural Philosopher
|| +* Re: Installation of fibreTim+
|| |`* Re: Installation of fibreThe Natural Philosopher
|| | `* Re: Installation of fibreTheo
|| |  `* Re: Installation of fibreRoger Mills
|| |   `* Re: Installation of fibreAndy Burns
|| |    `* Re: Installation of fibreRoger Mills
|| |     `- Re: Installation of fibreAndy Burns
|| `* Re: Installation of fibreNY
||  `* Re: Installation of fibreAndy Burns
||   +- Re: Installation of fibreWoody
||   `* Re: Installation of fibreNY
||    +* Re: Installation of fibreTweed
||    |+- Re: Installation of fibreAndy Burns
||    |`- Re: Installation of fibreThe Natural Philosopher
||    +- Re: Installation of fibreAndy Burns
||    `- Re: Installation of fibreNick Finnigan
|`- Re: Installation of fibreThe Natural Philosopher
+- Re: Installation of fibreThe Natural Philosopher
`* Re: Installation of fibreDavid Wade
 `* Re: Installation of fibreDavid Woolley
  `* Re: Installation of fibreAndy Burns
   +* Re: Installation of fibreWoody
   |+* Re: Installation of fibreAndy Burns
   ||`- Re: Installation of fibreTweed
   |+* Re: Installation of fibreDavid Wade
   ||`* Re: Installation of fibreAndrew Benham
   || +* Re: Installation of fibreDavid Wade
   || |`- Re: Installation of fibreAndrew Benham
   || `* Re: Installation of fibreTheo
   ||  +- Re: Installation of fibreWoody
   ||  `- Re: Installation of fibreAndrew Benham
   |`* Re: Installation of fibreBob Eager
   | `- Re: Installation of fibreAndy Burns
   `* Re: Installation of fibreDavid Wade
    +- Re: Installation of fibreAndy Burns
    `* Re: Installation of fibreRupert Moss-Eccardt
     +* Re: Installation of fibreMark Carver
     |`- Re: Installation of fibreAdrian
     +* Re: Installation of fibreDavid Wade
     |`* Re: Installation of fibreMark Carver
     | `* Re: Installation of fibreThe Natural Philosopher
     |  `- Re: Installation of fibreMark Carver
     `* Re: Installation of fibreBob Eager
      `- Re: Installation of fibreThe Natural Philosopher

Pages:123
Re: Installation of fibre

<uagkjc$r4aj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1063&group=uk.telecom#1063

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Re: Installation of fibre
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 16:28:28 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:MjgIO0ZwZ9R9i91rN9LJu22P7mo=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 16:28 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> On 03/08/2023 16:36, Woody wrote:
>
>> Will BT replace the drop wire with fibr
> They'll probably "upgrade" your copper line to the slowest FTTC (or
> ADSL) service they can, give you a router and tell you to plug your
> phone into it.
>
> You could port your BT number to a VoIP provider (such as voipfone) then
> run that over your VM broadband, either with an ATA or a VoIP capable
> phone (gigaset, yealink, etc) or just to an app on your mobile(s)

If it’s anything like Zen (I had a similar setup, VM broadband and an ex BT
copper pair running a Zen provided phone only service) they will hike your
line rental service price to make you go away.

I ported my number to Andrews and Arnold.

Re: Installation of fibre

<kj22vuFf16iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1064&group=uk.telecom#1064

From: mills37.fslife@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 17:29:50 +0100
 by: Roger Mills - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 16:29 UTC

On 03/08/2023 14:39, Andy Burns wrote:
> Roger Mills wrote:
>
>> What happens to those of us whose ISP-supplied router doesn't have any
>> phone sockets?
>
> If your ISP is your telephone provider, they'll send you one (nearer the
> time) otherwise if you have different providers maybe your phone provide
> will send you an ATA (or maybe recommend that you buy one)
>
> PSTN/DECT phones are available with VoIP built-in, handline several SIP
> numbers at once.

Plusnet is my ISP and telephone provider. I've not heard anything from
them so far.

Are there any issues with call blockers such as trueCall working over VoIP?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: Installation of fibre

<uagmvk$r904$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1065&group=uk.telecom#1065

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 18:09:07 +0100
 by: David Wade - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 17:09 UTC

On 03/08/2023 16:09, Andy Burns wrote:
> David Woolley wrote:
>
>> David Wade wrote:
>>
>>> plugging the phone into the router rather than the wall socket.
>>
>> Which phone?  I have two,
>
> Either/both just like now.

If you have a modern split front socket, when BT remove the drop cable
they should leave the face plate in place. Your internal network should
be wired into this, and so you you can put a splitter in the socket and
patch the router into your house network.

>> one DECT, and one line powered, kept for emergencies.  What about the
>> need to provide backup power if you don't have both a mobile phone
>> and good coverage indoors?
>
> Your responsibility, perhaps some exception if you're on the vulnerable
> register, but what BT may provide doesn't amount to much more than 4xAA
> rechargeables.
>
>> What if the phone and router are in different rooms?
>
> <https://screwfix.com/p/phone-extension/17100>

Usually the router will be close to one phone socket and you can then
patch things back. Amazon has back-2back leads.

But internal wiring is you responsibility.

I do think BT are missing an opportunity. I feel that many who want to
retain the service are also likely to have non-standard wiring.

Many folks only have a phone line because they need one to have
ADSL/VDSL and will simply ditch the phone.

Dave

Re: Installation of fibre

<kj25nhFecr3U5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1066&group=uk.telecom#1066

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 18:16:34 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 17:16 UTC

David Wade wrote:

> internal wiring is you responsibility.
>
> I do think BT are missing an opportunity. I feel that many who want to
> retain the service are also likely to have non-standard wiring.

openreach do offer enhanced installs, whether your ISP resells them may
vary.

Re: Installation of fibre

<kj263aFecr3U6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1067&group=uk.telecom#1067

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 18:22:51 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 17:22 UTC

Roger Mills wrote:

> Plusnet is my ISP and telephone provider. I've not heard anything from
> them so far.

Plusnet here too, they recently sent out invites to a local "roadshow",
my neighbour received the same, presumably this is area by area, and
related to where's going first?

> Are there any issues with call blockers such as trueCall working over VoIP?

you can have call-waiting with digital voice, so should work, forums
seem to show some teething problems with getting CLIP working.

Re: Installation of fibre

<uagph4$r904$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1068&group=uk.telecom#1068

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 18:52:35 +0100
 by: David Wade - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 17:52 UTC

On 03/08/2023 16:36, Woody wrote:

> I was in comms all of my working life but this thread still puzzles me.
>
> We have a BT landline for phone only (it has <never> carries any form of
> broadband) and get our broadband from VM. There is a phone on the VM
> service which is fed by twisted pair simply because the broadband
> service was cheaper if you had broadband <and> phone even if the phone
> is never used apart from calling 150.
>
> I am looking (possibly) at finding another broadband provider when my VM
> contract ends just after Christmas - CityFibre are on the same pole. I
> think £42/m for 50/5Mb is silly when I can have 150Mb both ways for well
> less than £30!
>

> So what happens. Will BT replace the drop wire with fibre or will they
> demand that I move my phone service to VM or my new SP?

For now BT will generally leave the copper in place. When the time comes
to move to Fibre what will happen is unclear. At present, should you
order a phone line in a fibre-only area at a premises with no service I
understand they will install a new fibre feed link with a terminator
that provides a phone socket rather than an Ethernet cable for a router.

So I expect that if you have City Fibre and want to retain a BT line
they would add a BT fibre feed as above.

However why would you want to retain BT who are charging from £26.35 per
month if you take a separate phone service (this may wrong, the web site
is impenetrable) but any way the same amount you pay now, the same for a
VOIP service as for a landline.

You can move your phone service to any VOIP provider and retain your
existing number. For example a basic service from voipfone.co.uk can be
had for £3 + vat per month, but if you want to retain a physical phone
you would need to buy some hardware if your router does not have a VOIP
facility you can configure yourself.

I have fibre from ZEN but at present the VOIP in their router can be
pointed to any VOIP provider. Mine points to voipfone, but the ZEN
service is £6/month.

In either the BT or the 3rd party case, unless you are extremely
vunerable AND have no mobile coverage its up to you to provide back-up
power. The default unit BT supply only provides a few hours...

Dave

Re: Installation of fibre

<kj27ulFep8bU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1069&group=uk.telecom#1069

From: news0009@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: 3 Aug 2023 17:54:29 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 17:54 UTC

On Thu, 03 Aug 2023 16:36:39 +0100, Woody wrote:

> So what happens. Will BT replace the drop wire with fibre or will they
> demand that I move my phone service to VM or my new SP?

At this point, they won't care. They'll simply install the fibre
alongside, as it's a separate service. Up to you what you do with the
landline. Eventually they'll want to do digital voice.

Long before then, you should get a VoIP service of your choice over the
fibre.

Re: Installation of fibre

<uagq8p$s17u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1070&group=uk.telecom#1070

From: me@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 19:05:08 +0100
 by: NY - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 18:05 UTC

"The Natural Philosopher" <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> They may point to the socket on the fibre modem and say 'plug into that
> instead of your existing master socket'

But unless the fibre modem is going to be installed outside, with power
being provided to it by magic, they *will* need access the house to feed the
fibre sheath inside the house, fasten the fibre modem to the wall, connect
it to the fibre and to the mains.

Only if it's VOIP over existing copper xDSL will they be able to post the
VOIP equipment to you and do all the rest of the work at "the exchange" or
at cabinets.

For VOIP over copper xDSL, does all the VOIP equipment have an analogue
output to drive an existing DECT phone system as an alternative to a phone
handsets over Ethernet/wifi setup.

Are there VOIP handsets that use normal wifi and/or Ethernet to communicate
to the VOIP base station?

Re: Installation of fibre

<kj291nFecr3U7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1071&group=uk.telecom#1071

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 19:13:13 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 18:13 UTC

NY wrote:

> But unless the fibre modem is going to be installed outside, with power
> being provided to it by magic, they will need access the house to feed
> the fibre sheath inside the house, fasten the fibre modem to the wall,
> connect it to the fibre and to the mains.
>
> Only if it's VOIP over existing copper xDSL will they be able to post
> the VOIP equipment to you and do all the rest of the work at "the
> exchange" or at cabinets.

But in this case confusion reigns, there is no fibre upgrade, just a
change of voice service from POTS to VoIP, no BT employee will visit the
home, it'll all be done by remote configuration.

Re: Installation of fibre

<kj29lkFecr3U8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1072&group=uk.telecom#1072

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 19:23:49 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 18:23 UTC

Bob Eager wrote:

> At this point, they won't care. They'll simply install the fibre
> alongside, as it's a separate service. Up to you what you do with the
> landline. Eventually they'll want to do digital voice.

More likely (if you're not in an FTTP area) they'll do the digital voice
first, by 2025 at the latest. The copper to FTTP upgrade can happen
later. Have they even set a date by when everybody will have FTTP? I
don't think so ...

Re: Installation of fibre

<uah9ou$uhj4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1073&group=uk.telecom#1073

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 23:29:50 +0100
 by: Woody - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 22:29 UTC

Thanks for all the comments.

I already have two Sipgate lines of which only one is in use (the other
is on my mobile) and a FirstComEurope line (formerly voip.co.uk).

I have two Cisco/Linksys PAP2T ATA's and somewhere a Grandstream, two
Vonages and a Gigaset Go-Box 100 although I have no idea where the last
one is hidden! I also have a Panasonic SIPPhone.

Either way I will not be short of kit for interfacing. Domestically we
have five DECT phones on one base station, and I have another unused set
of four Philips albeit they don't have Nuisance Call Blocking.

Re: Installation of fibre

<uaiuii$19q44$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1074&group=uk.telecom#1074

From: me@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 14:30:46 +0100
 by: NY - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 13:30 UTC

"Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote in message
> NY wrote:
>
>> But unless the fibre modem is going to be installed outside, with power
>> being provided to it by magic, they will need access the house to feed
>> the fibre sheath inside the house, fasten the fibre modem to the wall,
>> connect it to the fibre and to the mains.
>>
>> Only if it's VOIP over existing copper xDSL will they be able to post the
>> VOIP equipment to you and do all the rest of the work at "the exchange"
>> or at cabinets.
>
> But in this case confusion reigns, there is no fibre upgrade, just a
> change of voice service from POTS to VoIP, no BT employee will visit the
> home, it'll all be done by remote configuration.

And alongside this they'll need to get the VOIP equipment to the customer
and make the customer knows where to plug it (into an Ethernet port on the
router) and that an analogue-input DECT (or corded) phone plugged into a
microfilter will need to be plugged into the VOIP equipment instead.

I imagine the way that it will be done is that there won't be a period of
parallel running, so at the moment that analogue to the line is turned off,
the customer will need to change their DECT phone from filter to VOIP box if
they are to have uninterrupted service. Or is parallel running possible,
making it less critical when the DECT is replugged?

For internet that continues over copper ADSL or VDSL, that will be
everything.

For FTTP (which this is not), there *will* need to be an engineer visit to
install the fibre cable and the fibre modem, and make sure the customer's
router is connected to the fibre modem instead of to the DSL port of the
filter. Indeed the BT phone sockets and all the filters will become obsolete
and probably should be removed (or at least taped-over) to stop anyone
plugging an analogue phone in and wondering why there is no dialling tone
;-) And to connect the VOIP box as for ADSL/VDSL.

Re: Installation of fibre

<uaiv73$19shk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1075&group=uk.telecom#1075

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 13:41:55 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:+rccOz8NizrtuPJ4sizhXNhj8zI=
 by: Tweed - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 13:41 UTC

NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> "Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote in message
>> NY wrote:
>>
>>> But unless the fibre modem is going to be installed outside, with power
>>> being provided to it by magic, they will need access the house to feed
>>> the fibre sheath inside the house, fasten the fibre modem to the wall,
>>> connect it to the fibre and to the mains.
>>>
>>> Only if it's VOIP over existing copper xDSL will they be able to post the
>>> VOIP equipment to you and do all the rest of the work at "the exchange"
>>> or at cabinets.
>>
>> But in this case confusion reigns, there is no fibre upgrade, just a
>> change of voice service from POTS to VoIP, no BT employee will visit the
>> home, it'll all be done by remote configuration.
>
> And alongside this they'll need to get the VOIP equipment to the customer
> and make the customer knows where to plug it (into an Ethernet port on the
> router) and that an analogue-input DECT (or corded) phone plugged into a
> microfilter will need to be plugged into the VOIP equipment instead.
>
> I imagine the way that it will be done is that there won't be a period of
> parallel running, so at the moment that analogue to the line is turned off,
> the customer will need to change their DECT phone from filter to VOIP box if
> they are to have uninterrupted service. Or is parallel running possible,
> making it less critical when the DECT is replugged?
>
> For internet that continues over copper ADSL or VDSL, that will be
> everything.
>

> For FTTP (which this is not), there *will* need to be an engineer visit to
> install the fibre cable and the fibre modem, and make sure the customer's
> router is connected to the fibre modem instead of to the DSL port of the
> filter. Indeed the BT phone sockets and all the filters will become obsolete
> and probably should be removed (or at least taped-over) to stop anyone
> plugging an analogue phone in and wondering why there is no dialling tone
> ;-) And to connect the VOIP box as for ADSL/VDSL.

The introduction of “digital voice” will simply hasten the demise of the
landline. Almost everyone I know and talk to uses their mobile phone and
that’s mainly over the top services such as WhatsApp etc. None of my
offspring have a landline number.

Re: Installation of fibre

<kj4gb2FqobgU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1076&group=uk.telecom#1076

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 15:29:54 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 14:29 UTC

NY wrote:

> I imagine the way that it will be done is that there won't be a period
> of parallel running, so at the moment that analogue to the line is
> turned off, the customer will need to change their DECT phone from
> filter to VOIP box if they are to have uninterrupted service.

The exchange could make a robocall to the POTS line saying "press # to
confirm you will plug your phone into the router after hanging up"

OWTTE ...

Re: Installation of fibre

<kj4gfhFqobgU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1077&group=uk.telecom#1077

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 15:32:17 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 14:32 UTC

Tweed wrote:

> The introduction of “digital voice” will simply hasten the demise of the
> landline. Almost everyone I know and talk to uses their mobile phone and
> that’s mainly over the top services such as WhatsApp etc. None of my
> offspring have a landline number.

Now that I'm on a network that provides VoWiFi, my mobile
quality/reliability is sufficiently improved when at home that I don't
prefer PSTN over mobile.

Re: Installation of fibre

<ual01c$1lq8q$9@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1079&group=uk.telecom#1079

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 09:08:12 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 08:08 UTC

On 04/08/2023 14:41, Tweed wrote:

> The introduction of “digital voice” will simply hasten the demise of the
> landline. Almost everyone I know and talk to uses their mobile phone and
> that’s mainly over the top services such as WhatsApp etc. None of my
> offspring have a landline number.

That is the issue. Whatsapp have built what is in many ways a superior
application to either a telephone or a mobile.

In range of a landline or fibre connected wifi, it is effectively a zero
opportunity cost way to text, talk or video call.

The landline telephone is simply obsolete

I get more calls to my doorphone than to my landline, these days, and
more calls to my mobile than either.

All the social chitchat is on whatsapp, and all the tradesmen use that
as well

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Re: Installation of fibre

<ual6m8$1msgh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1080&group=uk.telecom#1080

From: adsb@address.invalid (Andrew Benham)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 10:01:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andrew Benham - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 10:01 UTC

On Thu, 3 Aug 2023 18:52:35 +0100, David Wade wrote:

> On 03/08/2023 16:36, Woody wrote:
>>
>> I was in comms all of my working life but this thread still puzzles me.
>>
>> We have a BT landline for phone only (it has <never> carries any form
>> of broadband) and get our broadband from VM. There is a phone on the VM
>> service which is fed by twisted pair simply because the broadband
>> service was cheaper if you had broadband <and> phone even if the phone
>> is never used apart from calling 150.
>>
>> I am looking (possibly) at finding another broadband provider when my
>> VM contract ends just after Christmas - CityFibre are on the same pole.
>> I think £42/m for 50/5Mb is silly when I can have 150Mb both ways for
>> well less than £30!
>>

>> So what happens. Will BT replace the drop wire with fibre or will they
>> demand that I move my phone service to VM or my new SP?
>
> For now BT will generally leave the copper in place. When the time comes
> to move to Fibre what will happen is unclear. At present, should you
> order a phone line in a fibre-only area at a premises with no service I
> understand they will install a new fibre feed link with a terminator
> that provides a phone socket rather than an Ethernet cable for a router.

I live in Salisbury, and Openreach have recently started converting
telephone-only subscribers to fibre. They're installing a new fibre feed
complete with BT's current router - this provides a DECT base-station, and
comes with a couple of handsets. There's also a single BT phone socket on
the router. BT's letters to my neighbours explain that BT are providing
broadband to them for free. I presume the broadband is crippled or very
rate-limited - I haven't tried connecting to the broadband because I worry
this will trigger something when general Internet data starts being used.
My telephone-only neighbours tend to be elderly neighbours who don't
understand why this change is being forced on them, and I don't want to
confuse them more.

--
Andrew Benham Salisbury, Wilts SP1, United Kingdom

The gates in my computer are AND OR and NOT, not "Bill"

Re: Installation of fibre

<ual95b$1lkvp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1081&group=uk.telecom#1081

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 11:43:55 +0100
 by: David Wade - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 10:43 UTC

On 05/08/2023 11:01, Andrew Benham wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Aug 2023 18:52:35 +0100, David Wade wrote:
>
>> On 03/08/2023 16:36, Woody wrote:
>>>
>>> I was in comms all of my working life but this thread still puzzles me.
>>>
>>> We have a BT landline for phone only (it has <never> carries any form
>>> of broadband) and get our broadband from VM. There is a phone on the VM
>>> service which is fed by twisted pair simply because the broadband
>>> service was cheaper if you had broadband <and> phone even if the phone
>>> is never used apart from calling 150.
>>>
>>> I am looking (possibly) at finding another broadband provider when my
>>> VM contract ends just after Christmas - CityFibre are on the same pole.
>>> I think £42/m for 50/5Mb is silly when I can have 150Mb both ways for
>>> well less than £30!
>>>

>>> So what happens. Will BT replace the drop wire with fibre or will they
>>> demand that I move my phone service to VM or my new SP?
>>
>> For now BT will generally leave the copper in place. When the time comes
>> to move to Fibre what will happen is unclear. At present, should you
>> order a phone line in a fibre-only area at a premises with no service I
>> understand they will install a new fibre feed link with a terminator
>> that provides a phone socket rather than an Ethernet cable for a router.
>
> I live in Salisbury, and Openreach have recently started converting
> telephone-only subscribers to fibre. They're installing a new fibre feed
> complete with BT's current router - this provides a DECT base-station, and
> comes with a couple of handsets. There's also a single BT phone socket on
> the router. BT's letters to my neighbours explain that BT are providing
> broadband to them for free. I presume the broadband is crippled or very
> rate-limited - I haven't tried connecting to the broadband because I worry
> this will trigger something when general Internet data starts being used.
> My telephone-only neighbours tend to be elderly neighbours who don't
> understand why this change is being forced on them, and I don't want to
> confuse them more.

I thought the elderly should also be provided with some sort of
resilience during power cuts. Do you know if BT is doing this, or just
dumping this system on people without checking properly that the
household does have, for example, a working mobile phone, or is Ofcoms
"guidance" one again being ignored by BT in its rush to remove copper.

Dave

Re: Installation of fibre

<G9j*N24mz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1082&group=uk.telecom#1082

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: 05 Aug 2023 12:46:36 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 11:46 UTC

Andrew Benham <adsb@address.invalid> wrote:
> I live in Salisbury, and Openreach have recently started converting
> telephone-only subscribers to fibre. They're installing a new fibre feed
> complete with BT's current router - this provides a DECT base-station, and
> comes with a couple of handsets. There's also a single BT phone socket on
> the router. BT's letters to my neighbours explain that BT are providing
> broadband to them for free. I presume the broadband is crippled or very
> rate-limited - I haven't tried connecting to the broadband because I worry
> this will trigger something when general Internet data starts being used.

Openreach were talking about providing a 512Kbps up / 512K down FTTP service
for phone-only customers. It sounds like they've decided not to try to lock
down the broadband so only the phone socket works, which is useful. It also
means some kinds of low bandwidth internet services (email, messaging) would
be feasible, in the event the customer wants to use those, and some kinds of
remote diagnostics are feasible where they might not be if the connection
was locked down.

> My telephone-only neighbours tend to be elderly neighbours who don't
> understand why this change is being forced on them, and I don't want to
> confuse them more.

It sounds like a very simple explanation is needed: "we're changing the type
of phone line you have, because the old one is getting difficult to
maintain. We'll install you a new kind of line, and a new box into which
you plug in your phone to replace your current socket" etc etc.

(I could see this as one justification for BT's use of 'digital phone line'
as terminology for their VOIP service)

Are they doing hand-holding installs, eg installing next to the current
phone point, putting in power sockets where necessary and taking care of the
customers' phone extension wiring? Or are they dumping that on their
elderly customers?

Theo

Re: Installation of fibre

<ualj32$1om8h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1083&group=uk.telecom#1083

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 14:33:21 +0100
 by: Woody - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 13:33 UTC

On Sat 05/08/2023 12:46, Theo wrote:
> Andrew Benham <adsb@address.invalid> wrote:
>> I live in Salisbury, and Openreach have recently started converting
>> telephone-only subscribers to fibre. They're installing a new fibre feed
>> complete with BT's current router - this provides a DECT base-station, and
>> comes with a couple of handsets. There's also a single BT phone socket on
>> the router. BT's letters to my neighbours explain that BT are providing
>> broadband to them for free. I presume the broadband is crippled or very
>> rate-limited - I haven't tried connecting to the broadband because I worry
>> this will trigger something when general Internet data starts being used.
>
> Openreach were talking about providing a 512Kbps up / 512K down FTTP service
> for phone-only customers. It sounds like they've decided not to try to lock
> down the broadband so only the phone socket works, which is useful. It also
> means some kinds of low bandwidth internet services (email, messaging) would
> be feasible, in the event the customer wants to use those, and some kinds of
> remote diagnostics are feasible where they might not be if the connection
> was locked down.
>
>> My telephone-only neighbours tend to be elderly neighbours who don't
>> understand why this change is being forced on them, and I don't want to
>> confuse them more.
>
> It sounds like a very simple explanation is needed: "we're changing the type
> of phone line you have, because the old one is getting difficult to
> maintain. We'll install you a new kind of line, and a new box into which
> you plug in your phone to replace your current socket" etc etc.
>
> (I could see this as one justification for BT's use of 'digital phone line'
> as terminology for their VOIP service)
>
> Are they doing hand-holding installs, eg installing next to the current
> phone point, putting in power sockets where necessary and taking care of the
> customers' phone extension wiring? Or are they dumping that on their
> elderly customers?

Come on Theo, we all know that's <far> to easy......

Re: Installation of fibre

<uaqqpv$2s79p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1084&group=uk.telecom#1084

From: nix@genie.co.uk (Nick Finnigan)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 14:15:42 +0100
 by: Nick Finnigan - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 13:15 UTC

On 04/08/2023 14:30, NY wrote:
> "Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote in message
>> NY wrote:
>>
>>> But unless the fibre modem is going to be installed outside, with power
>>> being provided to it by magic, they will need access the house to feed
>>> the fibre sheath inside the house, fasten the fibre modem to the wall,
>>> connect it to the fibre and to the mains.
>>>
>>> Only if it's VOIP over existing copper xDSL will they be able to post
>>> the VOIP equipment to you and do all the rest of the work at "the
>>> exchange" or at cabinets.
>>
>> But in this case confusion reigns, there is no fibre upgrade, just a
>> change of voice service from POTS to VoIP, no BT employee will visit the
>> home, it'll all be done by remote configuration.
>
> And alongside this they'll need to get the VOIP equipment to the customer
> and make the customer knows where to plug it (into an Ethernet port on the
> router) and that an analogue-input DECT (or corded) phone plugged into a
> microfilter will need to be plugged into the VOIP equipment instead.
>
> I imagine the way that it will be done is that there won't be a period of
> parallel running, so at the moment that analogue to the line is turned off,
> the customer will need to change their DECT phone from filter to VOIP box
> if they are to have uninterrupted service. Or is parallel running possible,
> making it less critical when the DECT is replugged?

I've received my second postcard (as well as a letter and an email),
which has "1. Disconnect: No dial tone? You're ready to switch ..."

Re: Installation of fibre

<kk60ipF9vv5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1085&group=uk.telecom#1085

From: nin@moss-eccardt.com (Rupert Moss-Eccardt)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 08:29:29 +0100
 by: Rupert Moss-Eccardt - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 07:29 UTC

On 3 Aug 2023 18:09, David Wade wrote:
> On 03/08/2023 16:09, Andy Burns wrote:
>> David Woolley wrote:

>>> Which phone?  I have two,
>>
>> Either/both just like now.
>
> If you have a modern split front socket, when BT remove the drop cable
> they should leave the face plate in place. Your internal network should
> be wired into this, and so you you can put a splitter in the socket and
> patch the router into your house network.

When I moved from copper to fibre Openreach didn't take away the drop
wire. I gather this is because they are simply providing the fibre to
the ONT. What service I buy from an ISP/CSP might or might not replace
the copper service.

And I doubt if a cease from a CSP/ISP will have OR spend money taking
drop wires down. Well, not until all the overhead copper comes down.

>>> one DECT, and one line powered, kept for emergencies.  What about the
>>> need to provide backup power if you don't have both a mobile phone
>>> and good coverage indoors?
>>
>> Your responsibility, perhaps some exception if you're on the vulnerable
>> register, but what BT may provide doesn't amount to much more than 4xAA
>> rechargeables.
>>
>>> What if the phone and router are in different rooms?
>>
>> <https://screwfix.com/p/phone-extension/17100>
>>

> Usually the router will be close to one phone socket and you can then
> patch things back. Amazon has back-2back leads.

NB only do this if there isn't a connection (even not in use) to the
PSTN out the back of the socket. If you know what you are doing you can
cut it, of course

Re: Installation of fibre

<kk62ebFa13cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1086&group=uk.telecom#1086

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 09:01:14 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 08:01 UTC

On 17/08/2023 08:29, Rupert Moss-Eccardt wrote:
> On 3 Aug 2023 18:09, David Wade wrote:

>>> Either/both just like now.
>> If you have a modern split front socket, when BT remove the drop cable
>> they should leave the face plate in place. Your internal network should
>> be wired into this, and so you you can put a splitter in the socket and
>> patch the router into your house network.
> When I moved from copper to fibre Openreach didn't take away the drop
> wire. I gather this is because they are simply providing the fibre to
> the ONT. What service I buy from an ISP/CSP might or might not replace
> the copper service.
>
> And I doubt if a cease from a CSP/ISP will have OR spend money taking
> drop wires down. Well, not until all the overhead copper comes down.

>>> Your responsibility, perhaps some exception if you're on the vulnerable
>>> register, but what BT may provide doesn't amount to much more than 4xAA
>>> rechargeables.

>>> <https://screwfix.com/p/phone-extension/17100>
>>>
>> Usually the router will be close to one phone socket and you can then
>> patch things back. Amazon has back-2back leads.
>>
> NB only do this if there isn't a connection (even not in use) to the
> PSTN out the back of the socket. If you know what you are doing you can
> cut it, of course

It's a simple case of removing a couple of components in the master
socket, but yes, not for the novice

https://support.aa.net.uk/VoIP_How_to:_Voice_reinjection

Re: Installation of fibre

<ubkkid$3mqfp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1087&group=uk.telecom#1087

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 09:08:45 +0100
 by: David Wade - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 08:08 UTC

On 17/08/2023 08:29, Rupert Moss-Eccardt wrote:
> On 3 Aug 2023 18:09, David Wade wrote:

>>> Either/both just like now.
>>
>> If you have a modern split front socket, when BT remove the drop cable
>> they should leave the face plate in place. Your internal network should
>> be wired into this, and so you you can put a splitter in the socket and
>> patch the router into your house network.
>
> When I moved from copper to fibre Openreach didn't take away the drop
> wire. I gather this is because they are simply providing the fibre to
> the ONT. What service I buy from an ISP/CSP might or might not replace
> the copper service.

When they installed my fibre they were most dis-chuffed that I wanted to
retain the drop wire because I was still using it.

> And I doubt if a cease from a CSP/ISP will have OR spend money taking
> drop wires down. Well, not until all the overhead copper comes down.

When I filled in the on-line request form, despite it saying "all
changes are chargeable" they were happy to remove the redundant drop
wire without charging me. Apparently now others can share BT poles they
are trying to keep them as clear as possible.

>>> Your responsibility, perhaps some exception if you're on the vulnerable
>>> register, but what BT may provide doesn't amount to much more than 4xAA
>>> rechargeables.

>>> <https://screwfix.com/p/phone-extension/17100>
>>>

>> Usually the router will be close to one phone socket and you can then
>> patch things back. Amazon has back-2back leads.
>>

> NB only do this if there isn't a connection (even not in use) to the
> PSTN out the back of the socket. If you know what you are doing you can
> cut it, of course

If you have a split front master socket, it should be clear which wires
to cut.

Dave

Re: Installation of fibre

<kk65slFlghnU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1088&group=uk.telecom#1088

From: news0009@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: 17 Aug 2023 09:00:05 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 09:00 UTC

On Thu, 17 Aug 2023 08:29:29 +0100, Rupert Moss-Eccardt wrote:

> On 3 Aug 2023 18:09, David Wade wrote:

>>> Either/both just like now.
>>
>> If you have a modern split front socket, when BT remove the drop cable
>> they should leave the face plate in place. Your internal network should
>> be wired into this, and so you you can put a splitter in the socket and
>> patch the router into your house network.
>
> When I moved from copper to fibre Openreach didn't take away the drop
> wire. I gather this is because they are simply providing the fibre to
> the ONT. What service I buy from an ISP/CSP might or might not replace
> the copper service.

I retained FTTC for a coiple of days for parallel runni8ng, then got my
ISP to route my IPs to the new connection. Cost me 2 days rental!

aus+uk / uk.telecom / Re: Installation of fibre