I don't care where I sit as long as I get fed. -- Calvin Trillin

aus+uk / uk.telecom / Re: Installation of fibre

SubjectAuthor
* Installation of fibreScott
+* Re: Installation of fibreAndy Burns
|+* Re: Installation of fibreScott
||+* Re: Installation of fibreTim+
|||`* Re: Installation of fibreScott
||| `* Re: Installation of fibreAndy Burns
|||  +* Re: Installation of fibreJeff Layman
|||  |`* Re: Installation of fibreTheo
|||  | +* Re: Installation of fibreScott
|||  | |`- Re: Installation of fibreTheo
|||  | `- Re: Installation of fibreTweed
|||  `- Re: Installation of fibreMark Carver
||`* Re: Installation of fibreThe Natural Philosopher
|| +* Re: Installation of fibreTim+
|| |`* Re: Installation of fibreThe Natural Philosopher
|| | `* Re: Installation of fibreTheo
|| |  `* Re: Installation of fibreRoger Mills
|| |   `* Re: Installation of fibreAndy Burns
|| |    `* Re: Installation of fibreRoger Mills
|| |     `- Re: Installation of fibreAndy Burns
|| `* Re: Installation of fibreNY
||  `* Re: Installation of fibreAndy Burns
||   +- Re: Installation of fibreWoody
||   `* Re: Installation of fibreNY
||    +* Re: Installation of fibreTweed
||    |+- Re: Installation of fibreAndy Burns
||    |`- Re: Installation of fibreThe Natural Philosopher
||    +- Re: Installation of fibreAndy Burns
||    `- Re: Installation of fibreNick Finnigan
|`- Re: Installation of fibreThe Natural Philosopher
+- Re: Installation of fibreThe Natural Philosopher
`* Re: Installation of fibreDavid Wade
 `* Re: Installation of fibreDavid Woolley
  `* Re: Installation of fibreAndy Burns
   +* Re: Installation of fibreWoody
   |+* Re: Installation of fibreAndy Burns
   ||`- Re: Installation of fibreTweed
   |+* Re: Installation of fibreDavid Wade
   ||`* Re: Installation of fibreAndrew Benham
   || +* Re: Installation of fibreDavid Wade
   || |`- Re: Installation of fibreAndrew Benham
   || `* Re: Installation of fibreTheo
   ||  +- Re: Installation of fibreWoody
   ||  `- Re: Installation of fibreAndrew Benham
   |`* Re: Installation of fibreBob Eager
   | `- Re: Installation of fibreAndy Burns
   `* Re: Installation of fibreDavid Wade
    +- Re: Installation of fibreAndy Burns
    `* Re: Installation of fibreRupert Moss-Eccardt
     +* Re: Installation of fibreMark Carver
     |`- Re: Installation of fibreAdrian
     +* Re: Installation of fibreDavid Wade
     |`* Re: Installation of fibreMark Carver
     | `* Re: Installation of fibreThe Natural Philosopher
     |  `- Re: Installation of fibreMark Carver
     `* Re: Installation of fibreBob Eager
      `- Re: Installation of fibreThe Natural Philosopher

Pages:123
Re: Installation of fibre

<ubkpt9$3nr5h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1089&group=uk.telecom#1089

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Re: Installation of fibre
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 10:39:53 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 09:39 UTC

On 17/08/2023 10:00, Bob Eager wrote:
> I retained FTTC for a coiple of days for parallel runni8ng, then got my
> ISP to route my IPs to the new connection. Cost me 2 days rental!

I didn't bother. I phoned my ISP and they told me it was all set up and
waiting and how my packets arrived was in both cases the same. Only
problem was I had forgotten my login password, which needed to be
duplicated for the new login via an ethernet presented service instead
of DSL.

Once corrected, everything sprang to life and hasn't missed a beat since...

--
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
rule.

Re: Installation of fibre

<kk68toFb27hU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1090&group=uk.telecom#1090

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 10:51:52 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 09:51 UTC

On 17/08/2023 09:08, David Wade wrote:
> On 17/08/2023 08:29, Rupert Moss-Eccardt wrote:

>>> If you have a modern split front socket, when BT remove the drop cable
>>> they should leave the face plate in place. Your internal network should
>>> be wired into this, and so you you can put a splitter in the socket and
>>> patch the router into your house network.
>>
>> When I moved from copper to fibre Openreach didn't take away the drop
>> wire.  I gather this is because they are simply providing the fibre to
>> the ONT.  What service I buy from an ISP/CSP might or might not replace
>> the copper service.
>
> When they installed my fibre they were most dis-chuffed that I wanted
> to retain the drop wire because I was still using it.
>>
>> And I doubt if a cease from a CSP/ISP will have OR spend money taking
>> drop wires down.  Well, not until all the overhead copper comes down.
>>

> When I filled in the on-line request form, despite it saying "all
> changes are chargeable" they were happy to remove the redundant drop
> wire without charging me. Apparently now others can share BT poles
> they are trying to keep them as clear as possible.

>>> Usually the router will be close to one phone socket and you can then
>>> patch things back. Amazon has back-2back leads.
>>>

>> NB only do this if there isn't a connection (even not in use) to the
>> PSTN out the back of the socket. If you know what you are doing you can
>> cut it, of course
>>

> If you have a split front master socket, it should be clear which
> wires to cut.
You don't have to cut any wires. Just take a hacksaw, and chop off the
protruding phone plug (that fits into the master socket's internal phone
socket).
Stick a 'back to back' phone lead between the router and removable
faceplate, and screw it back in place

Re: Installation of fibre

<ljjZ6uJwrh3kFwlj@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1092&group=uk.telecom#1092

From: bulleid@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 14:04:48 +0100
 by: Adrian - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 13:04 UTC

In message <kk62ebFa13cU1@mid.individual.net>, Mark Carver
<mark.carver@invalid.invalid> writes
>It's a simple case of removing a couple of components in the master
>socket, but yes, not for the novice
>
>https://support.aa.net.uk/VoIP_How_to:_Voice_reinjection

That is if you've got the right model of master socket. Mine wasn't
:-(. I put a normal socket along side the master socket, and moved the
domestic wiring from the master socket to the normal one.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Re: Installation of fibre

<ubljo8$3rg86$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1093&group=uk.telecom#1093

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 18:00:56 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 17:00 UTC

On 17/08/2023 10:51, Mark Carver wrote:
> You don't have to cut any wires. Just take a hacksaw, and chop off the
> protruding phone plug (that fits into the master socket's internal phone
> socket).
> Stick a 'back to back' phone lead between the router and removable
> faceplate, and screw it back in place

*shudder* what a ghastly hack.

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Re: Installation of fibre

<kk8hdtFm9ufU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1097&group=uk.telecom#1097

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 07:29:16 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 06:29 UTC

> On 17/08/2023 10:51, Mark Carver wrote:
>> You don't have to cut any wires. Just take a hacksaw, and chop off
>> the protruding phone plug (that fits into the master socket's
>> internal phone socket).
>> Stick a 'back to back' phone lead between the router and removable
>> faceplate, and screw it back in place
>
> *shudder* what a ghastly hack.

Well, it's a bit dramatic I agree, but it ensures total isolation
without doubt from the external Openreach circuit.

Once you've been FTTP'd, and OR's copper pair is well and truly dead,
junk the whole master socket, and just fit a little 'secondary' socket
in its place

Re: Installation of fibre

<ubnf97$76kt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1100&group=uk.telecom#1100

From: adsb@address.invalid (Andrew Benham)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 09:56:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andrew Benham - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 09:56 UTC

On 05 Aug 2023 12:46:36 +0100 (BST), Theo wrote:

> Andrew Benham <adsb@address.invalid> wrote:
>> I live in Salisbury, and Openreach have recently started converting
>> telephone-only subscribers to fibre. They're installing a new fibre
>> feed complete with BT's current router - this provides a DECT
>> base-station, and comes with a couple of handsets. There's also a
>> single BT phone socket on the router. BT's letters to my neighbours
>> explain that BT are providing broadband to them for free. I presume
>> the broadband is crippled or very rate-limited - I haven't tried
>> connecting to the broadband because I worry this will trigger something
>> when general Internet data starts being used.
>
> Openreach were talking about providing a 512Kbps up / 512K down FTTP
> service for phone-only customers. It sounds like they've decided not to
> try to lock down the broadband so only the phone socket works, which is
> useful. It also means some kinds of low bandwidth internet services
> (email, messaging) would be feasible, in the event the customer wants to
> use those, and some kinds of remote diagnostics are feasible where they
> might not be if the connection was locked down.
>
>> My telephone-only neighbours tend to be elderly neighbours who don't
>> understand why this change is being forced on them, and I don't want to
>> confuse them more.
>
> It sounds like a very simple explanation is needed: "we're changing the
> type of phone line you have, because the old one is getting difficult to
> maintain. We'll install you a new kind of line, and a new box into
> which you plug in your phone to replace your current socket" etc etc.
>
> (I could see this as one justification for BT's use of 'digital phone
> line' as terminology for their VOIP service)
>
> Are they doing hand-holding installs, eg installing next to the current
> phone point, putting in power sockets where necessary and taking care of
> the customers' phone extension wiring? Or are they dumping that on
> their elderly customers?

In my neighbours' cases, they ignore the existing POTS installation and
provide a couple of DECT handsets using the basestation in the hub.
One of my neighbours had illness (and subsequent death) in her family
around the time of the changeover - she eventually persuaded Openreach to
connect her existing extension wiring to the phone socket on the hub so
that her wired extensions still worked. But I think this was as a result
of a bigger complaint that they'd left her without any phone service when
she needed it most.
In general I think they assume the DECT handsets are all you need.

--
Andrew

--
Andrew Benham Salisbury, Wilts SP1, United Kingdom

The gates in my computer are AND OR and NOT, not "Bill"

Re: Installation of fibre

<ubnff4$76kt$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1101&group=uk.telecom#1101

From: adsb@address.invalid (Andrew Benham)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:00:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andrew Benham - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:00 UTC

On Sat, 5 Aug 2023 11:43:55 +0100, David Wade wrote:

> On 05/08/2023 11:01, Andrew Benham wrote:

>>> For now BT will generally leave the copper in place. When the time
>>> comes to move to Fibre what will happen is unclear. At present, should
>>> you order a phone line in a fibre-only area at a premises with no
>>> service I understand they will install a new fibre feed link with a
>>> terminator that provides a phone socket rather than an Ethernet cable
>>> for a router.
>>
>> I live in Salisbury, and Openreach have recently started converting
>> telephone-only subscribers to fibre. They're installing a new fibre
>> feed complete with BT's current router - this provides a DECT
>> base-station, and comes with a couple of handsets. There's also a
>> single BT phone socket on the router. BT's letters to my neighbours
>> explain that BT are providing broadband to them for free. I presume
>> the broadband is crippled or very rate-limited - I haven't tried
>> connecting to the broadband because I worry this will trigger something
>> when general Internet data starts being used. My telephone-only
>> neighbours tend to be elderly neighbours who don't understand why this
>> change is being forced on them, and I don't want to confuse them more.
>>

> I thought the elderly should also be provided with some sort of
> resilience during power cuts. Do you know if BT is doing this, or just
> dumping this system on people without checking properly that the
> household does have, for example, a working mobile phone, or is Ofcoms
> "guidance" one again being ignored by BT in its rush to remove copper.

I only know of one customer who had battery backup provided, and this was
as a "sweetener" after a complaint about something else.