Cropp's Law: The amount of work done varies inversly with the time spent in the office.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Fibre

SubjectAuthor
* FibreTim Lamb
+* Re: FibreAdrian
|`* Re: FibreThe Natural Philosopher
| +- Re: FibreAdrian
| +* Re: FibreTim Lamb
| |`- Re: FibreThe Natural Philosopher
| `* Re: FibreSteveW
|  `* Re: FibreThe Natural Philosopher
|   `* Re: FibreSteveW
|    `- Re: FibreThe Natural Philosopher
+* Re: FibreThe Natural Philosopher
|`* Re: FibreTim Lamb
| +- Re: FibreJohn Rumm
| +* Re: FibreSteveW
| |+* Re: FibreTim Lamb
| ||`* Re: FibreTheo
| || +* Re: FibreThe Natural Philosopher
| || `* Re: FibreTim Lamb
| ||  `* Re: Fibrecharles
| ||   `* Re: FibreJohn Rumm
| ||    `- Re: FibreTim Lamb
| |`* Re: FibreThe Natural Philosopher
| | +- Re: FibreTheo
| | `- Re: FibreOwain Lastname
| `* Re: FibreThe Natural Philosopher
|  `* Re: FibreTim Lamb
|   `- Re: FibreThe Natural Philosopher
+* Re: FibreDavid Wade
|`* Re: FibreTim Lamb
| +* Re: FibreJohn Rumm
| |`- Re: FibreTim Lamb
| `- Re: FibreDavid Wade
+* Re: FibreTheo
|+* Re: FibreTim Lamb
||`* Re: FibreJohn Rumm
|| `- Re: FibreTheo
|`- Re: FibreSH
+* Re: FibreJohn Rumm
|`* Re: FibreTim Lamb
| +* Re: FibreThe Natural Philosopher
| |`* Re: FibreSteveW
| | `* Re: FibreThe Natural Philosopher
| |  `- Re: FibreSteveW
| `- Re: FibreJohn Rumm
+* Re: FibreChris Green
|`* Re: FibreTim Lamb
| `* Re: FibreTheo
|  +* Re: FibreTim Lamb
|  |`- Re: FibreThe Natural Philosopher
|  +* Re: FibreSteveW
|  |`* Re: FibreTheo
|  | +* Re: FibreSteveW
|  | |`* Re: FibreTheo
|  | | `- Re: FibreRJH
|  | `* Re: FibreJohn Rumm
|  |  `- Re: FibreSH
|  `* Re: Fibrealan_m
|   `* Re: FibreChris J Dixon
|    `- Re: Fibrealan_m
+- Re: FibreRobert
`* Re: FibreRobert
 +* Re: FibreTim+
 |+* Re: FibreTheo
 ||`- Re: FibreJohn Rumm
 |+- Re: FibreRobert
 |`- Re: FibreTim Lamb
 `* Re: FibreTim Lamb
  `* Re: FibreRobert
   `* Re: FibreTim Lamb
    +* Re: FibreRobert
    |`* Re: FibreTim Lamb
    | `- Re: FibreRobert
    `* Re: FibreJohn Rumm
     `* Re: Fibrealan_m
      `* Re: FibreDavid Wade
       `* Re: FibreThe Natural Philosopher
        `* Re: FibreRobert
         `* Re: FibreTim Lamb
          `* Re: FibreJoe
           `- Re: FibreTim Lamb

Pages:1234
Fibre

<opjKzQBgeO1lFwgy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125179&group=uk.d-i-y#125179

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Fibre
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 17:55:44 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 17:55 UTC

Whoopee!

The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!

How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have to
start worrying about telephone connections?
--
Tim Lamb

Re: Fibre

<oyyyUILRhP1lFwRw@ffoil.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125187&group=uk.d-i-y#125187

From: diy@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Fibre
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 19:06:57 +0000
 by: Adrian - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 19:06 UTC

In message <opjKzQBgeO1lFwgy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
<tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>Whoopee!
>
>The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>
>How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have to
>start worrying about telephone connections?

If our experience is anything to go by, you'd be advise not to hold your
breathe.

Several years ago, the pole outside my house sprouted various bits of
kit for fibre connections. However, according to OpenReach, I'm not due
to get it until Dec 2026 (with the additional information that they are
"rolling out Full Fibre to 25 million people across the UK by 2025").
That said, several of the neighbours have gone full fibre, but they are
using ISPs that only use OR's poles.

Adrian.
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Re: Fibre

<ur2uig$2ld6t$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125190&group=uk.d-i-y#125190

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 19:29:20 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 19:29 UTC

On 20/02/2024 17:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
> Whoopee!
>
> The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>
> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have to
> start worrying about telephone connections?

I think its all optional right now but in your case simply ask your ISP
when you can have it.

They *should* organise you a BT style phone socket like the landline
with the same number that 'just works'...

--
“It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established
authorities are wrong.”

― Voltaire, The Age of Louis XIV

Re: Fibre

<ur2uk0$2ld6t$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125191&group=uk.d-i-y#125191

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 19:30:08 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 19:30 UTC

On 20/02/2024 19:06, Adrian wrote:
> In message <opjKzQBgeO1lFwgy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
> <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>> Whoopee!
>>
>> The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>>
>> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have to
>> start worrying about telephone connections?
>
> If our experience is anything to go by, you'd be advise not to hold your
> breathe.
>
> Several years ago, the pole outside my house sprouted various bits of
> kit for fibre connections.  However, according to OpenReach, I'm not due
> to get it until Dec 2026 (with the additional information that they are
> "rolling out Full Fibre to 25 million people across the UK by 2025").
> That said, several of the neighbours have gone full fibre, but they are
> using ISPs that only use OR's poles.
>
> Adrian.

I got mine about 6 weeks after the poles went up and they had tested it all.

Keep asking the ISP

--
“It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established
authorities are wrong.”

― Voltaire, The Age of Louis XIV

Re: Fibre

<ur316g$2lmjr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125194&group=uk.d-i-y#125194

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 20:14:08 +0000
 by: David Wade - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 20:14 UTC

On 20/02/2024 17:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
> Whoopee!
>
> The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!

Congratulations.

> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have to
> start worrying about telephone connections?

It was about 3-4 months I think before it was available on my street.

Not sure why you would want to worry, but initially the main impact will
be that you may find it hard to change supplier and retain a POTS service.

Note the removal of POTS is not directly to FTTP roll out, so the plan
is to move EVERYONE to VOIP by the end of next year, so even if you have
FTTC or traditional ADSL the plan is to move the phone service to a VOIP
service by the end of 2025.

Dave

Re: Fibre

<8Nn*ZuuDz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125197&group=uk.d-i-y#125197

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 20 Feb 2024 21:08:28 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 21:08 UTC

Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Whoopee!
>
> The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>
> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have to
> start worrying about telephone connections?

Have you heard any noises locally about a fibre deployment?

These days Openreach will install fibre if you have a development site of 2
or more properties. That means you may see fibre on a pole route that
services a new build site, but doesn't mean they will fit fibre to the
houses with existing connections any time soon. If your lane happens to
have (had) a building site along it, that might be the reason.

You can also use the BT Checker to see what they say for your property:
https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/

Theo

Re: Fibre

<29YF3aN4bR1lFwzv@ffoil.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125199&group=uk.d-i-y#125199

From: diy@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 21:17:44 +0000
 by: Adrian - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 21:17 UTC

In message <ur2uk0$2ld6t$3@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>On 20/02/2024 19:06, Adrian wrote:
>> In message <opjKzQBgeO1lFwgy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
>><tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>>> Whoopee!
>>>
>>> The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>>>
>>> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have
>>>to start worrying about telephone connections?
>> If our experience is anything to go by, you'd be advise not to hold
>>your breathe.
>> Several years ago, the pole outside my house sprouted various bits
>>of kit for fibre connections.  However, according to OpenReach, I'm
>>not due to get it until Dec 2026 (with the additional information that
>>they are "rolling out Full Fibre to 25 million people across the UK by
>>2025"). That said, several of the neighbours have gone full fibre, but
>>using ISPs that only use OR's poles.
>> Adrian.
>
>I got mine about 6 weeks after the poles went up and they had tested it all.
>
>Keep asking the ISP

I'm not in any rush to get FTTP, my current provision is more than
enough for my requirements. I was asking out of curiosity, but the
point was that just because there appears to be the ability to provide
fibre, you might not be able to get it easily.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Re: Fibre

<TWY0MiCOZR1lFw1u@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125200&group=uk.d-i-y#125200

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 21:14:54 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 21:14 UTC

In message <ur2uk0$2ld6t$3@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>On 20/02/2024 19:06, Adrian wrote:
>> In message <opjKzQBgeO1lFwgy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
>><tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>>> Whoopee!
>>>
>>> The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>>>
>>> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have
>>>to start worrying about telephone connections?
>> If our experience is anything to go by, you'd be advise not to hold
>>your breathe.
>> Several years ago, the pole outside my house sprouted various bits
>>of kit for fibre connections.  However, according to OpenReach, I'm
>>not due to get it until Dec 2026 (with the additional information
>>that they are "rolling out Full Fibre to 25 million people across the
>>UK by 2025"). That said, several of the neighbours have gone full
>>fibre, but they are using ISPs that only use OR's poles.
>> Adrian.
>
>I got mine about 6 weeks after the poles went up and they had tested it all.
>
>Keep asking the ISP

Plusnet do not make asking questions easy! The providers advertising on
the *speed check* sites offer a range of predicted speeds/costs prior to
the service being available!

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Fibre

<Qmg0A4CtcR1lFwXH@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125201&group=uk.d-i-y#125201

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 21:18:37 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 21:18 UTC

In message <ur2uig$2ld6t$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>On 20/02/2024 17:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> Whoopee!
>> The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have
>>to start worrying about telephone connections?
>
>I think its all optional right now but in your case simply ask your ISP
>when you can have it.
>
>They *should* organise you a BT style phone socket like the landline
>with the same number that 'just works'...

Assuming this is FTTP and they have just replaced my incoming cable, can
they use that and the existing outlet?

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Fibre

<1209ERD8jR1lFwyf@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125202&group=uk.d-i-y#125202

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 21:26:20 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 21:26 UTC

In message <ur316g$2lmjr$1@dont-email.me>, David Wade
<g4ugm@dave.invalid> writes
>On 20/02/2024 17:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> Whoopee!
>> The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>>

>Congratulations.
>
>> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have to
>>start worrying about telephone connections?
>
>It was about 3-4 months I think before it was available on my street.
>
>Not sure why you would want to worry, but initially the main impact
>will be that you may find it hard to change supplier and retain a POTS
>service.
>
>Note the removal of POTS is not directly to FTTP roll out, so the plan
>is to move EVERYONE to VOIP by the end of next year, so even if you
>have FTTC or traditional ADSL the plan is to move the phone service to
>a VOIP service by the end of 2025.

I didn't pay much attention when VOIP was discussed earlier. I gathered
a mains power failure would shut down the service without some UPS
backup.

No emergency call arrangements here and we both use mobile phones so not
a huge issue but I wondered how our multi handset Panasonic system will
fare.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Fibre

<cXnn89EyxR1lFw1m@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125203&group=uk.d-i-y#125203

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 21:41:06 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 21:41 UTC

In message <8Nn*ZuuDz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes
>Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Whoopee!
>>
>> The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>>
>> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have to
>> start worrying about telephone connections?
>
>Have you heard any noises locally about a fibre deployment?

No, but I got a hint from an Openreach engineer last month that
something might be in the wind.

>These days Openreach will install fibre if you have a development site of 2
>or more properties. That means you may see fibre on a pole route that
>services a new build site, but doesn't mean they will fit fibre to the
>houses with existing connections any time soon. If your lane happens to
>have (had) a building site along it, that might be the reason.

We put 4 houses in an agricultural barn a few years back.

>You can also use the BT Checker to see what they say for your property:
>https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/

Nothing available according to that site.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Fibre

<ur388o$2n6k2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125207&group=uk.d-i-y#125207

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 22:14:48 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 22:14 UTC

On 20/02/2024 17:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
> Whoopee!
>
> The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>
> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have to
> start worrying about telephone connections?

In our case it was a few months... however they might be getting
batter/faster at it now :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Fibre

<ur38ap$2n8a2$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125208&group=uk.d-i-y#125208

From: steve@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 22:15:52 +0000
 by: SteveW - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 22:15 UTC

> On 20/02/2024 19:06, Adrian wrote:
>> In message <opjKzQBgeO1lFwgy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
>> <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>>> Whoopee!
>>>
>>> The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>>>
>>> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have to
>>> start worrying about telephone connections?
>>
>> If our experience is anything to go by, you'd be advise not to hold
>> your breathe.
>>
>> Several years ago, the pole outside my house sprouted various bits of
>> kit for fibre connections.  However, according to OpenReach, I'm not
>> due to get it until Dec 2026 (with the additional information that
>> they are "rolling out Full Fibre to 25 million people across the UK by
>> 2025"). That said, several of the neighbours have gone full fibre, but
>> they are using ISPs that only use OR's poles.
>>
>> Adrian.
>
> I got mine about 6 weeks after the poles went up and they had tested it
> all.
>
> Keep asking the ISP

As they were putting fibre onto the existing poles here, about 3 weeks
ago, they guys doing it told me that it should be available in about 6
weeks - so that fits with your experience. The websites show it as being
done in our area by Dec 2026, so I assume that if a single date to cover
the wider area and each area will be changed over as soon as it is ready.

In our case, we are with Virgin, so OpenReach FTTP is a bargaining chip
to bring the price down - or if Virgin won't move enough, we actually
could switch over.

Re: Fibre

<ur38c6$2n6k2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125209&group=uk.d-i-y#125209

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 22:16:38 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 22:16 UTC

On 20/02/2024 21:18, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <ur2uig$2ld6t$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>> On 20/02/2024 17:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>> Whoopee!
>>>  The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>>>  How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have
>>> to  start worrying about telephone connections?
>>
>> I think its all optional right now but in your case simply ask your
>> ISP when you can have it.
>>
>> They *should* organise you a BT style phone socket like the landline
>> with the same number that 'just works'...
>
> Assuming this is FTTP and they have just replaced my incoming cable, can
> they use that and the existing outlet?

Not unless they installed FTTP - if it was a like for like replacement,
then it might just have been newer copper.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Fibre

<ur38gi$2n8a2$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125211&group=uk.d-i-y#125211

From: steve@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 22:18:57 +0000
 by: SteveW - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 22:18 UTC

On 20/02/2024 21:18, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <ur2uig$2ld6t$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>> On 20/02/2024 17:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>> Whoopee!
>>>  The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>>>  How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have
>>> to  start worrying about telephone connections?
>>
>> I think its all optional right now but in your case simply ask your
>> ISP when you can have it.
>>
>> They *should* organise you a BT style phone socket like the landline
>> with the same number that 'just works'...
>
> Assuming this is FTTP and they have just replaced my incoming cable, can
> they use that and the existing outlet?

IIRC, the fibre must be fed to an "ONT" and then a router (or a router
with an in-built ONT) and the phone connection will be taken from the
back of the router. So positioning of the fibre coming into the
premises, the ONT/Router, your netwrok switch, power sockets and the
extension wiring all matter.

Re: Fibre

<ur38v4$2ni32$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125213&group=uk.d-i-y#125213

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 22:26:44 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 22:26 UTC

On 20/02/2024 21:26, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <ur316g$2lmjr$1@dont-email.me>, David Wade
> <g4ugm@dave.invalid> writes
>> On 20/02/2024 17:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>> Whoopee!
>>>  The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>>>

>> Congratulations.
>>
>>> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have to
>>> start worrying about telephone connections?
>>
>> It was about 3-4 months I think before it was available on my street.
>>
>> Not sure why you would want to worry, but initially the main impact
>> will be that you may find it hard to change supplier and retain a POTS
>> service.
>>
>> Note the removal of POTS is not directly to FTTP roll out, so the plan
>> is to move EVERYONE to VOIP by the end of next year, so even if you
>> have FTTC or traditional ADSL the plan is to move the phone service to
>> a VOIP service by the end of 2025.
>
> I didn't pay much attention when VOIP was discussed earlier.

a summary of much of it here:

https://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Telephones,_analogue_to_digital_conversion

> I gathered
> a mains power failure would shut down the service without some UPS backup.

Yup. (as households that only have DECT phones have found)

> No emergency call arrangements here and we both use mobile phones so not
> a huge issue but I wondered how our multi handset Panasonic system will
> fare.

Ultimately you should arrive at the point where you have something that
looks like a phone socket, and things you plug into it will think they
are connected to a phone line. They will make and receive calls in the
same way.

(in addition you will also have the option of using IP phones, soft
phones, and cloud based PABX systems as well if you want)

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Fibre

<ur3930$2ni32$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125214&group=uk.d-i-y#125214

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 22:28:48 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 22:28 UTC

On 20/02/2024 21:41, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <8Nn*ZuuDz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
> <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes
>> Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Whoopee!
>>>
>>> The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>>>
>>> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have to
>>> start worrying about telephone connections?
>>
>> Have you heard any noises locally about a fibre deployment?
>
> No, but I got a hint from an Openreach engineer last month that
> something might be in the wind.
>>
>> These days Openreach will install fibre if you have a development site
>> of 2
>> or more properties.  That means you may see fibre on a pole route that
>> services a new build site, but doesn't mean they will fit fibre to the
>> houses with existing connections any time soon.  If your lane happens to
>> have (had) a building site along it, that might be the reason.
>
> We put 4 houses in an agricultural barn a few years back.
>>
>> You can also use the BT Checker to see what they say for your property:
>> https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/
>
> Nothing available according to that site.

Might be worth seeing if there is a "superfast" web site for your area.
Ours is here:

https://www.superfastessex.org/get-connected/broadband/interactive-map/

and it has an interactive map that shows what coverage each property has
and at what stage upgrades are planned (if they are planned!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Fibre

<hppgak-svt9.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125227&group=uk.d-i-y#125227

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 08:45:05 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 08:45 UTC

Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Whoopee!
>
> The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>
> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have to
> start worrying about telephone connections?

Months, years, .... We've had fibre on the poles outside our house
for several years now but no offers to us. Houses at the end of our
road have fibre offered to them though.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Fibre

<7KY+L6FPHc1lFwhV@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125234&group=uk.d-i-y#125234

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:26:39 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:26 UTC

In message <ur38gi$2n8a2$4@dont-email.me>, SteveW
<steve@walker-family.me.uk> writes
>On 20/02/2024 21:18, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> In message <ur2uig$2ld6t$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
>><tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>>>
>>> I think its all optional right now but in your case simply ask your
>>>ISP when you can have it.
>>>
>>> They *should* organise you a BT style phone socket like the landline
>>>with the same number that 'just works'...
>> Assuming this is FTTP and they have just replaced my incoming cable,
>>can they use that and the existing outlet?
>
>IIRC, the fibre must be fed to an "ONT" and then a router (or a router
>with an in-built ONT) and the phone connection will be taken from the
>back of the router. So positioning of the fibre coming into the
>premises, the ONT/Router, your netwrok switch, power sockets and the
>extension wiring all matter.

Hmm. For convenience of internal wiring and best wi-fi position, I
pre-fitted a length of standard phone cable through our loft areas and
*sweetened* the original installer to use that for the final connection.
Be very awkward if the fibre is terminated at the gable or just run down
the outside wall.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Fibre

<XKU1LRG$Rc1lFwk0@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125235&group=uk.d-i-y#125235

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:38:07 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:38 UTC

In message <ur38v4$2ni32$1@dont-email.me>, John Rumm
<see.my.signature@nowhere.null> writes
>On 20/02/2024 21:26, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> In message <ur316g$2lmjr$1@dont-email.me>, David Wade
>><g4ugm@dave.invalid> writes
>>>>

>>> Congratulations.

>>> It was about 3-4 months I think before it was available on my street.
>>>
>>> Not sure why you would want to worry, but initially the main impact
>>>will be that you may find it hard to change supplier and retain a
>>>POTS service.
>>>
>>> Note the removal of POTS is not directly to FTTP roll out, so the
>>>plan is to move EVERYONE to VOIP by the end of next year, so even if
>>>you have FTTC or traditional ADSL the plan is to move the phone
>>>service to a VOIP service by the end of 2025.
>> I didn't pay much attention when VOIP was discussed earlier.
>
>a summary of much of it here:
>
>https://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Telephones,_analogue_to_digital_conversion
>
>> I gathered a mains power failure would shut down the service without
>>some UPS backup.
>
>Yup. (as households that only have DECT phones have found)
>
>> No emergency call arrangements here and we both use mobile phones so
>>not a huge issue but I wondered how our multi handset Panasonic
>>system will fare.
>
>Ultimately you should arrive at the point where you have something that
>looks like a phone socket, and things you plug into it will think they
>are connected to a phone line. They will make and receive calls in the
>same way.
>
>(in addition you will also have the option of using IP phones, soft
>phones, and cloud based PABX systems as well if you want)

Ok John. That's clear enough.

Thanks

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Fibre

<IKuyrHHXbc1lFwmz@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125236&group=uk.d-i-y#125236

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:48:07 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:48 UTC

In message <ur388o$2n6k2$1@dont-email.me>, John Rumm
<see.my.signature@nowhere.null> writes
>On 20/02/2024 17:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> Whoopee!
>> The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have
>>to start worrying about telephone connections?
>
>In our case it was a few months... however they might be getting
>batter/faster at it now :-)

I don't suppose we will be first in the lane so I can learn from the
others.
The obvious location for the new router is my office as that is directly
below the existing cable termination. Internal data cabling is all
ducted under plaster but re-positioning the Netgear switches is
possible. Piss poor location for wi-fi distribution though.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Fibre

<L6QyHcHsec1lFwEG@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125237&group=uk.d-i-y#125237

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:51:40 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:51 UTC

In message <hppgak-svt9.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net>
writes
>Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Whoopee!
>>
>> The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>>
>> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have to
>> start worrying about telephone connections?
>
>Months, years, .... We've had fibre on the poles outside our house
>for several years now but no offers to us. Houses at the end of our
>road have fibre offered to them though.
No real rush now my phone line has been repaired. In some ways I'd be
happier to not have my TV screen cluttered with intrusive video offers!

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Fibre

<9Nn*jmxDz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125239&group=uk.d-i-y#125239

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 21 Feb 2024 10:10:45 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:10 UTC

Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Hmm. For convenience of internal wiring and best wi-fi position, I
> pre-fitted a length of standard phone cable through our loft areas and
> *sweetened* the original installer to use that for the final connection.
> Be very awkward if the fibre is terminated at the gable or just run down
> the outside wall.

On Openreach fibre you can pay £40 for a 'deluxe installation' (can't
remember exactly what they call it) that includes a good length of interior
cabling. They still want an external wall box at ground floor level (to
terminate the street fibre and allow techs to access) so there would be a
cable run down the outside, but the deluxe install means they'll run cables
from there internally to where you want your ONT and/or router.

Theo

Re: Fibre

<ur4ie9$32507$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125240&group=uk.d-i-y#125240

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:14:33 +0000
 by: David Wade - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:14 UTC

On 20/02/2024 21:26, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <ur316g$2lmjr$1@dont-email.me>, David Wade
> <g4ugm@dave.invalid> writes
>> On 20/02/2024 17:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>> Whoopee!
>>>  The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>>>

>> Congratulations.
>>
>>> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have to
>>> start worrying about telephone connections?
>>
>> It was about 3-4 months I think before it was available on my street.
>>
>> Not sure why you would want to worry, but initially the main impact
>> will be that you may find it hard to change supplier and retain a POTS
>> service.
>>
>> Note the removal of POTS is not directly to FTTP roll out, so the plan
>> is to move EVERYONE to VOIP by the end of next year, so even if you
>> have FTTC or traditional ADSL the plan is to move the phone service to
>> a VOIP service by the end of 2025.
>
> I didn't pay much attention when VOIP was discussed earlier. I gathered
> a mains power failure would shut down the service without some UPS backup.

If your only landline is via the Panasonic below, you are already in
that situation

> No emergency call arrangements here and we both use mobile phones so not
> a huge issue but I wondered how our multi handset Panasonic system will
> fare.

I have ZEN so a different router, but I just plugged my Panasonic into
the router POTS socket and all works fine.

Dave

Re: Fibre

<9Nn*joxDz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125241&group=uk.d-i-y#125241

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 21 Feb 2024 10:19:17 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:19 UTC

Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> No real rush now my phone line has been repaired. In some ways I'd be
> happier to not have my TV screen cluttered with intrusive video offers!

Not sure that follows... speed of internet doesn't affect ads on your TV.
But a good rule of thumb is to never connect a smart TV to the internet:
makers sell them at a loss and make a profit by spying on your viewing
habits and sending you ads. Better to use a third party box like an Apple
TV [*] and connect via HDMI.

Theo

[*] Apple are better than the others, Nvidia Shield comes out well too:
https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/privacynotincluded/categories/streaming-players/