From: robert@invalid.invalid (Robert)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Fibre
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 17:25:08 +0000
 by: Robert - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 17:25 UTC

On 23/02/2024 16:39, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <l3rjqeFrt4nU2@mid.individual.net>, Robert
> <robert@invalid.invalid> writes
>> On 23/02/2024 10:27, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>> In message <l3r4g8Fph2kU1@mid.individual.net>, Robert
>>> <robert@invalid.invalid> writes

>>>  Ok. If there is a deluxe offer, it would suit me to have it run to
>>> the  existing router position. I guess I could put a cable duct
>>> linked to the  soffit without much effort.
>>> There is power available, existing telephone incomer, Netgear
>>> ethernet  booster and router.
>>>
>> The external fibre got run overhead from existing Openreach pole to
>> House wall, alongside Openrach copper, then thin internal fibre run
>> 18m through house and 3 walls to my router. No internal ducts just
>> stuck to ceiling/wall corners and almost invisible.
>
> So not jointed at house wall. Our phone line runs through the outer
> cavity wall, along a convenient tie beam, through a second cavity wall
> and along a further beam before reaching an eaves cupboard and the
> outlet. Access by 2 loft hatches. Bit much for your average installer!

Yes jointed at House Wall.If the entry into the house had been at high
level then joint box and duct into house would have been done by the
"outside team" and fitted inside the house, as internal team do not work
at heights.

Re: Fibre

<HfdheLjWXQ2lFw$3@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125485&group=uk.d-i-y#125485

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 20:53:42 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 20:53 UTC

In message <l3s2nlFu86oU1@mid.individual.net>, Robert
<robert@invalid.invalid> writes
>On 23/02/2024 16:39, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> In message <l3rjqeFrt4nU2@mid.individual.net>, Robert
>><robert@invalid.invalid> writes

>>> The external fibre got run overhead from existing Openreach pole to
>>>House wall, alongside Openrach copper, then thin internal fibre run
>>>18m through house and 3 walls to my router. No internal ducts just
>>>stuck to ceiling/wall corners and almost invisible.
>> So not jointed at house wall. Our phone line runs through the outer
>>cavity wall, along a convenient tie beam, through a second cavity wall
>>and along a further beam before reaching an eaves cupboard and the
>>outlet. Access by 2 loft hatches. Bit much for your average installer!
>>
>Yes jointed at House Wall.If the entry into the house had been at high
>level then joint box and duct into house would have been done by the
>"outside team" and fitted inside the house, as internal team do not
>work at heights.

Oh. So they could supply a length for the home owner to install ready
for the final connection.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Fibre

<urbpth$10i5o$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125490&group=uk.d-i-y#125490

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 04:05:05 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 04:05 UTC

On 23/02/2024 11:45, Theo wrote:
> Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:
>> Robert <robert@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> It depends on who is putting the fibre infrastructure in, there are
>>> fibre companies who install the fibre and provide the ISP services and
>>> those who install fibre for use by a selection of ISPs.
>>> Unlike the copper feed from Openreach, each fibre company install their
>>> own fibre so you could end up with more than one feed on the pole.
>>> We have Wefibre ( Telecom) installed and working, with Fibrus installing
>>> a 2nd fibre onto the pole at present !
>>
>> I don’t think Tim Lamb lives in an area where there is hot competition for
>> fibre customers. That might be the case in cities but not out in the
>> sticks.
>
> In rural areas there's actually quite good competition for customers -
> Openreach can't be bothered, and so altnets want to get their fibre in the
> ground and have first mover advantage before Openreach gets around to doing
> theirs.

Oddly round here, the really rural places got FTTP supplied by openreach
before the towns got it (although they all had FTTC which was not even
an option here)

Probably because they could not meet the minimum service level demanded
any other way. Prior to FTTP, the best speed I could get was under 2 Mbps.

A nearby town with decent FTTC is currently being wired up for FTTP by
citi fibre rather than openreach.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Fibre

<urbq5b$10i5o$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125491&group=uk.d-i-y#125491

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 04:09:15 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 04:09 UTC

On 23/02/2024 16:39, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <l3rjqeFrt4nU2@mid.individual.net>, Robert
> <robert@invalid.invalid> writes
>> On 23/02/2024 10:27, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>> In message <l3r4g8Fph2kU1@mid.individual.net>, Robert
>>> <robert@invalid.invalid> writes

>>>  Ok. If there is a deluxe offer, it would suit me to have it run to
>>> the  existing router position. I guess I could put a cable duct
>>> linked to the  soffit without much effort.
>>> There is power available, existing telephone incomer, Netgear
>>> ethernet  booster and router.
>>>
>> The external fibre got run overhead from existing Openreach pole to
>> House wall, alongside Openrach copper, then thin internal fibre run
>> 18m through house and 3 walls to my router. No internal ducts just
>> stuck to ceiling/wall corners and almost invisible.
>
> So not jointed at house wall.

I think they have changed their standard practice on that. When I got
mine it was the fibre brought through the wall into the ONT. Now I think
more are done like TNPs with a junction on the outside wall, with a
separate fibre from there to the ONT.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Fibre

<l3th42F77chU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125492&group=uk.d-i-y#125492

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 06:36:50 +0000
 by: alan_m - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 06:36 UTC

On 24/02/2024 04:09, John Rumm wrote:

> I think they have changed their standard practice on that. When I got
> mine it was the fibre brought through the wall into the ONT. Now I think
> more are done like TNPs with a junction on the outside wall, with a
> separate fibre from there to the ONT.

My fibre comes to a box on the outside of the wall (at near ground
level), then a short fibre through the wall to the ONT.

Re: Fibre

<urcc6m$13qbt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125498&group=uk.d-i-y#125498

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 09:17:10 +0000
 by: David Wade - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 09:17 UTC

On 24/02/2024 06:36, alan_m wrote:
> On 24/02/2024 04:09, John Rumm wrote:
>

>> I think they have changed their standard practice on that. When I got
>> mine it was the fibre brought through the wall into the ONT. Now I
>> think more are done like TNPs with a junction on the outside wall,
>> with a separate fibre from there to the ONT.
>
> My fibre comes to a box on the outside of the wall (at near ground
> level), then a short fibre through the wall to the ONT.

Thats standard practice so if the drop needs changing they can do so
without entering the premises, or if the inside loop is damaged that can
be changed from ground level.

Dave

Re: Fibre

<urcdpc$14fta$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125501&group=uk.d-i-y#125501

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 09:44:12 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 09:44 UTC

On 24/02/2024 09:17, David Wade wrote:
> On 24/02/2024 06:36, alan_m wrote:
>> On 24/02/2024 04:09, John Rumm wrote:
>>

>>> I think they have changed their standard practice on that. When I got
>>> mine it was the fibre brought through the wall into the ONT. Now I
>>> think more are done like TNPs with a junction on the outside wall,
>>> with a separate fibre from there to the ONT.
>>
>> My fibre comes to a box on the outside of the wall (at near ground
>> level), then a short fibre through the wall to the ONT.
>>
> Thats standard practice so if the drop needs changing they can do so
> without entering the premises, or if the inside loop is damaged that can
> be changed from ground level.

Yes.

This much is pretty clear. What is less clear is how much *internal*
fibre they are prepared to run, and at what cost?

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal

Re: Fibre

<l3unm8Fd1afU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125523&group=uk.d-i-y#125523

From: robert@invalid.invalid (Robert)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 17:35:04 +0000
 by: Robert - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 17:35 UTC

On 23/02/2024 20:53, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <l3s2nlFu86oU1@mid.individual.net>, Robert
> <robert@invalid.invalid> writes
>> On 23/02/2024 16:39, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>> In message <l3rjqeFrt4nU2@mid.individual.net>, Robert
>>> <robert@invalid.invalid> writes

>>>  So not jointed at house wall. Our phone line runs through the outer
>>> cavity wall, along a convenient tie beam, through a second cavity
>>> wall and along a further beam before reaching an eaves cupboard and
>>> the outlet. Access by 2 loft hatches. Bit much for your average
>>> installer!
>>>
>> Yes jointed at House Wall.If the entry into the house had been at high
>> level then joint box and duct into house would have been done by the
>> "outside team" and fitted inside the house, as internal team do not
>> work at heights.
>
> Oh. So they could supply a length for the home owner to install ready
> for the final connection.

My understanding is that they do not supply for the home owner to
install but install everything, They join the inside and outside fibres
together in a junction box either inside or outside the house and
terminate the inside fibre cable in a powered modem or ONT.

Re: Fibre

<l3uo0fFd1afU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125524&group=uk.d-i-y#125524

From: robert@invalid.invalid (Robert)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 17:40:31 +0000
 by: Robert - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 17:40 UTC

> On 24/02/2024 09:17, David Wade wrote:

>>> My fibre comes to a box on the outside of the wall (at near ground
>>> level), then a short fibre through the wall to the ONT.
>>>
>> Thats standard practice so if the drop needs changing they can do so
>> without entering the premises, or if the inside loop is damaged that
>> can be changed from ground level.
>>

> Yes.
>
> This much is pretty clear. What is less clear is how much *internal*
> fibre they are prepared to run, and at what cost?

My supplier - Wefibre ran 18m of fibre inside. The fibre, 20/25m of it,
came spooled up in a small box which had an optical lead socket on for
connection the modem. The fibre was unspooled back to the external
junction box with the thin fibre being glued along the wall/ceiling
interface.

Re: Fibre

<hd1Iehm1rj2lFwK0@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125526&group=uk.d-i-y#125526

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 18:52:37 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 18:52 UTC

In message <l3uo0fFd1afU2@mid.individual.net>, Robert
<robert@invalid.invalid> writes
>On 24/02/2024 09:44, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> Thats standard practice so if the drop needs changing they can do so
>>>without entering the premises, or if the inside loop is damaged that
>>>can be changed from ground level.
>>>
>> Yes.
>> This much is pretty clear. What is less clear is how much *internal*
>>fibre they are prepared to run, and at what cost?
>>
>My supplier - Wefibre ran 18m of fibre inside. The fibre, 20/25m of it,
>came spooled up in a small box which had an optical lead socket on for
>connection the modem. The fibre was unspooled back to the external
>junction box with the thin fibre being glued along the wall/ceiling
>interface.

18m would be ample but I don't suppose they would be willing to run that
up the outside wall before following the existing cable run through the
lofts.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Fibre

<20240224191837.39d1c123@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125529&group=uk.d-i-y#125529

From: joe@jretrading.com (Joe)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 19:18:37 +0000
<hd1Iehm1rj2lFwK0@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>
 by: Joe - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 19:18 UTC

On Sat, 24 Feb 2024 18:52:37 +0000
Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <l3uo0fFd1afU2@mid.individual.net>, Robert
> <robert@invalid.invalid> writes

> >> Yes.
> >> This much is pretty clear. What is less clear is how much
> >> *internal*
> >>fibre they are prepared to run, and at what cost?
> >>
> >My supplier - Wefibre ran 18m of fibre inside. The fibre, 20/25m of
> >it, came spooled up in a small box which had an optical lead socket
> >on for connection the modem. The fibre was unspooled back to the
> >external junction box with the thin fibre being glued along the
> >wall/ceiling interface.
>
> 18m would be ample but I don't suppose they would be willing to run
> that up the outside wall before following the existing cable run
> through the lofts.

Fibre patch cables are pretty cheap, you just need to know which
connectors each end requires. Presumably they will be the same, which
makes it easier, and the fibre is almost certainly single-mode.

LC connectors are small and very widely used. APC has an angled end, UPC
does not. APC has better return loss from less reflection, but greater
signal loss. It's also generally less common.

Ready-made patch cables go up to about 10m, more than that may have to
be made to order, but that shouldn't cost much more. The cost is pretty
much all in the termination equipment.

https://www.fs.com/uk/c/os2-9-125-single-mode-897?347=24126&348=24123

--
Joe

Re: Fibre

<BdyAucookw2lFwei@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125544&group=uk.d-i-y#125544

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 09:32:24 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 09:32 UTC

In message <20240224191837.39d1c123@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>, Joe
<joe@jretrading.com> writes
>On Sat, 24 Feb 2024 18:52:37 +0000
>Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In message <l3uo0fFd1afU2@mid.individual.net>, Robert
>> <robert@invalid.invalid> writes

>> >My supplier - Wefibre ran 18m of fibre inside. The fibre, 20/25m of
>> >it, came spooled up in a small box which had an optical lead socket
>> >on for connection the modem. The fibre was unspooled back to the
>> >external junction box with the thin fibre being glued along the
>> >wall/ceiling interface.
>>
>> 18m would be ample but I don't suppose they would be willing to run
>> that up the outside wall before following the existing cable run
>> through the lofts.
>>

>Fibre patch cables are pretty cheap, you just need to know which
>connectors each end requires. Presumably they will be the same, which
>makes it easier, and the fibre is almost certainly single-mode.
>
>LC connectors are small and very widely used. APC has an angled end, UPC
>does not. APC has better return loss from less reflection, but greater
>signal loss. It's also generally less common.
>
>Ready-made patch cables go up to about 10m, more than that may have to
>be made to order, but that shouldn't cost much more. The cost is pretty
>much all in the termination equipment.
>
>https://www.fs.com/uk/c/os2-9-125-single-mode-897?347=24126&348=24123

Cheap enough!

I have 6 more months on my current contract and copper meets our current
needs.

From upthread comments, somebody will be trying to market their service.
Armed with new knowledge, I hope to strike an acceptable deal.

Thanks.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Fibre

<neloti9josu5c68hmkrb3a0vflt96paver@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125601&group=uk.d-i-y#125601

From: chris@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 09:15:18 +0000
 by: Chris J Dixon - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 09:15 UTC

This video shows an installation of FTTP by Wildanet.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TfuKX6cGrY>

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: Fibre

<l438umF3icaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125608&group=uk.d-i-y#125608

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 10:54:14 +0000
 by: alan_m - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 10:54 UTC

On 26/02/2024 09:15, Chris J Dixon wrote:

> This video shows an installation of FTTP by Wildanet.
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TfuKX6cGrY>
>
> Chris

My install overhead from the pole was nothing like that.

It took Citylink approx 30 minutes to run the fibre from the pole to the
eves of my house and then down the wall to the outside box. The ONC
,about 50% smaller than the one shown in the video, was positioned the
other side of the wall and connected to the outside box with a short
fibre lead.

Two men approx 30 minutes to install the fibre.

I did have a problem with Zen Internet with their configuration of the
router which should have be automatic but that was sorted in the
afternoon with a call to their technical help line and me configuring
one parameter in the router manually.

Re: Fibre

<Br+gjPucAH3lFwlh@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125611&group=uk.d-i-y#125611

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 11:03:56 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 11:03 UTC

In message <neloti9josu5c68hmkrb3a0vflt96paver@4ax.com>, Chris J Dixon
<chris@cdixon.me.uk> writes

>This video shows an installation of FTTP by Wildanet.
>
><https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TfuKX6cGrY>

Sadly the sound suffers massive break ups. Ours will have to be overhead
as the poles are either across the lane or behind a 20m wide concrete
yard.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Fibre

<l440h9F73otU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125628&group=uk.d-i-y#125628

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 17:36:42 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 17:36 UTC

Chris J Dixon wrote:

> This video shows an installation of FTTP by Wildanet.
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TfuKX6cGrY>

Nobody's told them the microduct wouldn't go all "coily" if they
unspooled it properly, rather than just pulling it of the edge of the
drum ...

Re: Fibre

<uril86$2m8vu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125629&group=uk.d-i-y#125629

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:28:23 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:28 UTC

On 26/02/2024 10:54, alan_m wrote:
> On 26/02/2024 09:15, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>>
>> This video shows an installation of FTTP by Wildanet.
>>
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TfuKX6cGrY>
>>
>> Chris
>

> My install overhead from the pole was nothing like that.

Yup mine neither...

> It took Citylink approx 30 minutes to run the fibre from the pole to the
> eves of my house and then down the wall to the outside box. The ONC
> ,about 50% smaller than the one shown in the video, was positioned the
> other side of the wall and connected to the outside box with a short
> fibre lead.

On ours they did the fibre drop from pole to the eves of the porch, then
round the side of the house and into some ducting I already had in
place. They drilled a new hole through the wall into the cupboard and
took the fibre in without any external junction (this probably pre-dated
that). They stripped back the cable a metre or so before the ONT. Our
drop cable also had a very fine copper pair in it - but that is not
connected at the pole, so they just bundled that up. They put the
connector on the end of the fibre and connected it to the ONT. Then
handed it over to me (which I think threw them a bit since I don't think
they had done a "wires only" install before where they were not
supplying and setting up a router!)

My router is a quad WAN model (it has one ADSL/VDSL WAN port, one gig
ethernet, one USB, and can also do WAN over wifi). I had been using it
with two ADSL connections with load balancing. I had used the internal
ADSL/VDLS port for one, and an external ADSL modem to convert the other
to ethernet to connect to the ethernet WAN port on the router. The
router then talked to that as a PPPoE WAN device.

Switching to the ONT was just a case of plugging its ethernet into the
WAN2 port on the router. Since I had ported the broadband to the FTTP
with the same ISP, it just automatically connected without any further
tweaking.

(I was only seeing about 7Mbps at that point which had them worried. I
told them not to worry - once I turn off all the traffic shaping I was
using to try and get the best out two really slow connections, and
switch the load balance to failover it would get much better!)

Probably about 40 mins total.

> Two men approx 30 minutes to install the fibre.
>
> I did have a problem with Zen Internet with their configuration of the
> router which should have be automatic but that was sorted in the
> afternoon with a call to their technical help line and me configuring
> one parameter in the router manually.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Fibre

<urilas$2m8vu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125630&group=uk.d-i-y#125630

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:29:48 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:29 UTC

On 26/02/2024 17:36, Andy Burns wrote:
> Chris J Dixon wrote:
>
>> This video shows an installation of FTTP by Wildanet.
>>
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TfuKX6cGrY>
>
> Nobody's told them the microduct wouldn't go all "coily" if they
> unspooled it properly, rather than just pulling it of the edge of the
> drum ...

Probably not too important at 15m - but more so with longer runs. It
looks like the kind of stuff that would be a bugger to really get the
twist out!

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Fibre

<bGn*mq0Dz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125640&group=uk.d-i-y#125640

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 26 Feb 2024 22:26:57 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 22:26 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 26/02/2024 09:15, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> >
> > This video shows an installation of FTTP by Wildanet.
> >
> > <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TfuKX6cGrY>
> >
> > Chris
>

> My install overhead from the pole was nothing like that.

They're showing underground blown fibre - they don't blow fibre on poles,
they string armoured fibre directly. He has another video showing the
whole end to end process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaf1lw2syQA

- see 39:24 onwards for the pole setup.

(from what I've seen of Openreach's way of doing things it's more or less
the same)

Theo

Re: Fibre

<urkgde$35u2s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125657&group=uk.d-i-y#125657

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 06:18:05 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 11:18 UTC

On 2/26/2024 12:36 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
> Chris J Dixon wrote:
>
>> This video shows an installation of FTTP by Wildanet.
>>
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TfuKX6cGrY>
>
> Nobody's told them the microduct wouldn't go all "coily" if they unspooled it properly, rather than just pulling it of the edge of the drum ...

It's all a bit like a moon landing.

Having to remind people about dust caps, it's like
I was back in the lab, fighting a losing battle.

But practically speaking, nothing has changed :-)
Still the same endearing qualities.

At least nobody got stabbed with a piece of broken glass fibre
(very bad, floats in the blood stream). You can horse
around all you want, but be VERY CAREFUL with bare
fibre. If they left pieces on the ground,
you'd use a tool to pick them up, not your fingers.
And the pieces go into an approved marked container.
The same way you'd handle "sharps" at an injection site.

Paul

Re: Fibre

<l4600aFggvnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125659&group=uk.d-i-y#125659

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 11:39:55 +0000
 by: alan_m - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 11:39 UTC

On 27/02/2024 11:18, Paul wrote:
> On 2/26/2024 12:36 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Chris J Dixon wrote:
>>
>>> This video shows an installation of FTTP by Wildanet.
>>>
>>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TfuKX6cGrY>
>>
>> Nobody's told them the microduct wouldn't go all "coily" if they unspooled it properly, rather than just pulling it of the edge of the drum ...
>
> It's all a bit like a moon landing.
>
> Having to remind people about dust caps, it's like
> I was back in the lab, fighting a losing battle.
>
> But practically speaking, nothing has changed :-)
> Still the same endearing qualities.
>
> At least nobody got stabbed with a piece of broken glass fibre
> (very bad, floats in the blood stream). You can horse
> around all you want, but be VERY CAREFUL with bare
> fibre. If they left pieces on the ground,
> you'd use a tool to pick them up, not your fingers.
> And the pieces go into an approved marked container.
> The same way you'd handle "sharps" at an injection site.

When I was working with fibre 40 years ago the one bit of safety advice
was to never hold the fibre close to your eye. It's the equivalent of
putting a laser pointer to your eye, more so if the light at the other
end is in the IR band.

Re: Fibre

<1gjrtid0bccppqtk04avkdu7fqrbau03af@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125660&group=uk.d-i-y#125660

From: chris@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 11:57:45 +0000
References: <opjKzQBgeO1lFwgy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> <ur2uig$2ld6t$2@dont-email.me> <Qmg0A4CtcR1lFwXH@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> <ur38gi$2n8a2$4@dont-email.me> <7KY+L6FPHc1lFwhV@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> <9Nn*jmxDz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <ur4jj5$32fbl$7@dont-email.me> <hMxYaUQrGf1lFwzr@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> <neloti9josu5c68hmkrb3a0vflt96paver@4ax.com> <l438umF3icaU1@mid.individual.net> <bGn*mq0Dz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>
 by: Chris J Dixon - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 11:57 UTC

Theo wrote:

> He has another video showing the
>whole end to end process:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaf1lw2syQA
>
>- see 39:24 onwards for the pole setup.

Thanks for that, some really interesting basic stuff there.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: Fibre

<urtfi3$1eddh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125824&group=uk.d-i-y#125824

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 15:58:42 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 20:58 UTC

On 2/27/2024 6:39 AM, alan_m wrote:

> When I was working with fibre 40 years ago the one bit of safety advice
> was to never hold the fibre close to your eye. It's the equivalent of
> putting a laser pointer to your eye, more so if the light at the other
> end is in the IR band.

I think I had a power meter for that.

Most of the staff I worked with, knew that 1500nm
wasn't visible and there was nothing to see.

But with lab accidents, you never really know
what people know. You have to be careful when
new people wander into the lab.

Paul