From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Fibre
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 13:59:44 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 13:59 UTC

On 21/02/2024 13:32, SteveW wrote:
> On 21/02/2024 10:50, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> On 21/02/2024 09:48, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>
>>> The obvious location for the new router is my office as that is
>>> directly below the existing cable termination. Internal data cabling
>>> is all ducted under plaster but re-positioning the Netgear switches
>>> is possible. Piss poor location for wi-fi distribution though.
>>
>> They don't like fibre off ground level.
>>
>> You need to pick an outside wall where:
>>
>> - they can drop from the existing overhead location to ground level  -
>> they will replace the copper with fibre BUT THEY WILL NOT TERMINATE AT
>> EAVES LEVEL.
>>
>> http://vps.templar.co.uk/FTTP%20installation/4%20Fibre%20run%20eaves%20to%20ground%20level.png
>>
>> - they can then route the fibre to a location where they can put the
>> outside Openreach accessible and serviceable *optical* termination
>>
>> http://vps.templar.co.uk/FTTP%20installation/5%20OpenReach%20Fibre%20termination.png
>>
>> - They can drill through the wall to put the NTU near a mains
>> socket..,and run a very short *fibre* patch lead through the wall to it.
>>
>> http://vps.templar.co.uk/slideshow.php?picture=FTTP%20installation/6%20Modem%20installation.png
>>
>> That is where their responsibility ends.
>
> I wonder if they'll run along the wall to the back of the house? Our
> (currently unused) copper comes to the front corner of the house and
> drops down to come through to the Master socket, but I don't want their
> modem sitting in the hall (it'd be on view and I'd have to channel the
> wall for an Ethernet cable), when my ADSL extension used to and now the
> Virgin cable does run under the house to my dedicated server cupboard,
> where my modem, router, switch, server, DECT base-station and UPS are.

In my case straight down was into the kitchen, so they ran the fibre to
the house rear to the *annex* kitchen, which was fine. They had access
to it without needing to get the householder to open any gates, and I
had power and ethernet there already. So it was the perfect compromise

> I could play the disabilty card (my wife is disabled) and push them to
> get it to the back, so as to allow for use of the UPS, ensuring that she
> is not left without the "landline" if power goes out.

They will run the fibre anywhere you want *outside* provided it allows
easy access without a ladder to their *external* termination box .

They then want a power socket the other side of the wall to run up the NTE.

If you chose to put a router there as well, , but you can extend with
ethernet anywhere you like.

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.

Re: Fibre

<5b362dbef8charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125295&group=uk.d-i-y#125295

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 24 14:00:03 UTC
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!news.hispagatos.org!news.nntp4.net!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!news.mixmin.net!feeder1-2.proxad.net!proxad.net!feeder1-1.proxad.net!193.141.40.65.MISMATCH!npeer.as286.net!npeer-ng0.as286.net!peer03.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer02.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder3.usenet.farm!feeder4.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!news.usenet.farm
From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
 by: charles - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 14:00 UTC

In article <kMoZKCQPGf1lFwzn@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
<tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <9Nn*jmxDz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
> <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes
> >Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Hmm. For convenience of internal wiring and best wi-fi position, I
> >> pre-fitted a length of standard phone cable through our loft areas and
> >> *sweetened* the original installer to use that for the final
> >> connection. Be very awkward if the fibre is terminated at the gable or
> >> just run down the outside wall.
> >
> >On Openreach fibre you can pay £40 for a 'deluxe installation' (can't
> >remember exactly what they call it) that includes a good length of
> >interior cabling. They still want an external wall box at ground floor
> >level (to terminate the street fibre and allow techs to access) so there
> >would be a cable run down the outside, but the deluxe install means
> >they'll run cables from there internally to where you want your ONT
> >and/or router.

> Ah! They are going to need an overhead incomer. Concrete yard and no
> convenient lawns to trench:-)

My incomer is overhead from a pole across the road.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Fibre

<5nbhak-s32b.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125297&group=uk.d-i-y#125297

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 13:51:01 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 13:51 UTC

Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <ur4jj5$32fbl$7@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
> >> On Openreach fibre you can pay £40 for a 'deluxe installation'
> >>(can't
> >> remember exactly what they call it) that includes a good length of interior
> >> cabling. They still want an external wall box at ground floor level (to
> >> terminate the street fibre and allow techs to access) so there would be a
> >> cable run down the outside, but the deluxe install means they'll run cables
> >> from there internally to where you want your ONT and/or router.
> >
> >Not cables. Fibre.
> >
> >The ONT connects to the fibre WITH fibre.
> >
> >I suspect the deluxe is to add (external)?) Ethernet to where the
> >incoming copper used to go.
> >
> >I don't think they want any fibre running around inside the house at all.
> >
> >E.g. they would do essentially what I have here
> >
> >http://vps.templar.co.uk/FTTP%20installation/6%20Modem%20installation.png
> >
> >Bring the fibre through the wall and put the NTU there, and then
> >provide some internal *Ethernet* to the existing router position
>
> Confusion rains:-)

.... or even reigns! :-)

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Fibre

<8Nn*dgyDz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125300&group=uk.d-i-y#125300

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 21 Feb 2024 14:17:48 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 14:17 UTC

SteveW <steve@walker-family.me.uk> wrote:
> On 21/02/2024 13:36, Theo wrote:
> >
> > They're sneakier than that - they analyse the audio stream that's playing
> > and use it to ID what video it's associated with. Then they have a full
> > list of programmes you watch, on any channel or catchup, to which they can
> > attach to your account information and then sell that to advertisers.
> > (which is still valuable even if they never get to show you ads)
> >
> > This is avoided if you never give the thing internet.
>
> Are they really checking against a massive list or just against what's
> being broadcast at the time - we rarely watch anything while it is
> actually on.

They have computers 'watch' content (live and streaming) and generate
fingerprints, so once you have the fingerprint library you can use it to match
against the fingerprints generated from smart TVs. It's then just a case of
how much storage they want to pay to store their fingerprint back catalogue.

https://www.adexchanger.com/ad-exchange-news/the-marketers-guide-to-acr-tech-in-smart-tvs/

Theo

Re: Fibre

<ur56p3$383d7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125304&group=uk.d-i-y#125304

From: steve@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 16:01:37 +0000
 by: SteveW - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 16:01 UTC

> On 21/02/2024 13:32, SteveW wrote:

>>> They don't like fibre off ground level.
>>>
>>> You need to pick an outside wall where:
>>>
>>> - they can drop from the existing overhead location to ground level
>>> - they will replace the copper with fibre BUT THEY WILL NOT TERMINATE
>>> AT EAVES LEVEL.
>>>
>>> http://vps.templar.co.uk/FTTP%20installation/4%20Fibre%20run%20eaves%20to%20ground%20level.png
>>>
>>> - they can then route the fibre to a location where they can put the
>>> outside Openreach accessible and serviceable *optical* termination
>>>
>>> http://vps.templar.co.uk/FTTP%20installation/5%20OpenReach%20Fibre%20termination.png
>>>
>>> - They can drill through the wall to put the NTU near a mains
>>> socket..,and run a very short *fibre* patch lead through the wall to it.
>>>
>>> http://vps.templar.co.uk/slideshow.php?picture=FTTP%20installation/6%20Modem%20installation.png
>>>
>>> That is where their responsibility ends.
>>
>> I wonder if they'll run along the wall to the back of the house? Our
>> (currently unused) copper comes to the front corner of the house and
>> drops down to come through to the Master socket, but I don't want
>> their modem sitting in the hall (it'd be on view and I'd have to
>> channel the wall for an Ethernet cable), when my ADSL extension used
>> to and now the Virgin cable does run under the house to my dedicated
>> server cupboard, where my modem, router, switch, server, DECT
>> base-station and UPS are.
>>
> In my case straight down was into the kitchen, so they ran the fibre to
> the house rear  to the *annex* kitchen, which was fine. They had access
> to it without needing to get the householder to open any gates, and I
> had power and ethernet there already. So it was the perfect compromise
>
>> I could play the disabilty card (my wife is disabled) and push them to
>> get it to the back, so as to allow for use of the UPS, ensuring that
>> she is not left without the "landline" if power goes out.
>>

> They will run the fibre anywhere you want *outside* provided it allows
> easy access without a ladder to their *external*  termination box .
>
> They then want a power socket the other side of the wall to run up the NTE.
>
> If you chose to put a router there as well, , but you can extend with
> ethernet anywhere you like.

Fibre to the back of the house, termination box on the conservatory wall
and straight through into the server cupbaord would work for me. It puts
everything together and right where the UPS is.

Re: Fibre

<9Nn*qOyDz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125305&group=uk.d-i-y#125305

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 21 Feb 2024 16:43:45 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 16:43 UTC

John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
> Might be worth seeing if there is a "superfast" web site for your area.
> Ours is here:
>
> https://www.superfastessex.org/get-connected/broadband/interactive-map/
>
> and it has an interactive map that shows what coverage each property has
> and at what stage upgrades are planned (if they are planned!)

This is interesting:
https://bidb.uk/

It shows not just networks operating in your area (including altnets) but
roadworks (current and future). So you get a heads up of work that might be
coming your way, even if they haven't announced.

For me it says Gigaclear is 'planned' - which is confirmed on their site -
and indeed they have some in the next village - I hadn't seen any mention of
that at all locally.

Theo

Re: Fibre

<ur5k8l$3b2uh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125317&group=uk.d-i-y#125317

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 19:51:49 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 19:51 UTC

On 21/02/2024 13:36, Theo wrote:
> SteveW <steve@walker-family.me.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Not sure that follows... speed of internet doesn't affect ads on your TV.
>>> But a good rule of thumb is to never connect a smart TV to the internet:
>>> makers sell them at a loss and make a profit by spying on your viewing
>>> habits and sending you ads. Better to use a third party box like an Apple
>>> TV [*] and connect via HDMI.
>>
>> They'd not get too much from our smart TV. We sometimes use it for
>> catchup or for Netflix (rare) and other than that it is just a display
>> for one of our satellite boxes (running open source, not commercial,
>> software).
>
> They're sneakier than that - they analyse the audio stream that's playing
> and use it to ID what video it's associated with. Then they have a full
> list of programmes you watch, on any channel or catchup, to which they can
> attach to your account information and then sell that to advertisers.
> (which is still valuable even if they never get to show you ads)
>
> This is avoided if you never give the thing internet.

I can see a challenge[1] with that for your average user that wants to
access streaming / catchup content...

Good idea to place such devices on their own VLAN so that they can't see
or access other parts of the LAN though.

[1] Spose a network tuner for live broadcast content via a media server.
Then you could download streamed content prior to viewing onto that as
well. The TV then just being a "screen" without internet access.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Fibre

<ur5l6o$3aqn2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125320&group=uk.d-i-y#125320

From: i.love@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 20:07:52 +0000
 by: SH - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 20:07 UTC

On 20/02/2024 21:08, Theo wrote:
> Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Whoopee!
>>
>> The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>>
>> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have to
>> start worrying about telephone connections?
>
> Have you heard any noises locally about a fibre deployment?
>
> These days Openreach will install fibre if you have a development site of 2
> or more properties. That means you may see fibre on a pole route that
> services a new build site, but doesn't mean they will fit fibre to the
> houses with existing connections any time soon. If your lane happens to
> have (had) a building site along it, that might be the reason.
>
> You can also use the BT Checker to see what they say for your property:
> https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/
>
> Theo

in a related vein.....

i have a friend who currently has 10 mbit ADSL.

I can see there is fibre to the pole along with a black plastic dome
fibre splice box on it literally at the corner of his front garden. Its
been there a few months now.

Now there are also 7 neighbours all with the same post code that are fed
by copper on this pole plus another pole 3 poles down the road (also
with a fibre splice box.

What have all of them got to do in order to persuade OR to provide them
with FTTP from the fibre splice boxes from said poles?

Looking up up that BB checker BT wholesale and putting in the UPRN
reveals that the local exchange is not a FTTP priority exchange.

All of the 7 neighbours and my friend all want FTTP.

S.

Re: Fibre

<ur5lp9$3aqn2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125323&group=uk.d-i-y#125323

From: i.love@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 20:17:45 +0000
 by: SH - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 20:17 UTC

On 21/02/2024 19:51, John Rumm wrote:
> On 21/02/2024 13:36, Theo wrote:
>> SteveW <steve@walker-family.me.uk> wrote:

>>> They'd not get too much from our smart TV. We sometimes use it for
>>> catchup or for Netflix (rare) and other than that it is just a display
>>> for one of our satellite boxes (running open source, not commercial,
>>> software).
>>
>> They're sneakier than that - they analyse the audio stream that's playing
>> and use it to ID what video it's associated with.  Then they have a full
>> list of programmes you watch, on any channel or catchup, to which they
>> can
>> attach to your account information and then sell that to advertisers.
>> (which is still valuable even if they never get to show you ads)
>>
>> This is avoided if you never give the thing internet.
>
> I can see a challenge[1] with that for your average user that wants to
> access streaming / catchup content...
>
> Good idea to place such devices on their own VLAN so that they can't see
> or access other parts of the LAN though.
>
> [1] Spose a network tuner for live broadcast content via a media server.
> Then you could download streamed content prior to viewing onto that as
> well. The TV then just being a "screen" without internet access.

oh yes like a HD Home Run Quattro for Freeview or a Kathrein EXIP 414
for freesat.... :-)

Re: Fibre

<ur661a$3f9hj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125340&group=uk.d-i-y#125340

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 00:55:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 00:55 UTC

On 21 Feb 2024 at 14:17:48 GMT, Theo wrote:

> SteveW <steve@walker-family.me.uk> wrote:
>> On 21/02/2024 13:36, Theo wrote:
>>>
>>> They're sneakier than that - they analyse the audio stream that's playing
>>> and use it to ID what video it's associated with. Then they have a full
>>> list of programmes you watch, on any channel or catchup, to which they can
>>> attach to your account information and then sell that to advertisers.
>>> (which is still valuable even if they never get to show you ads)
>>>
>>> This is avoided if you never give the thing internet.
>>
>> Are they really checking against a massive list or just against what's
>> being broadcast at the time - we rarely watch anything while it is
>> actually on.
>
> They have computers 'watch' content (live and streaming) and generate
> fingerprints, so once you have the fingerprint library you can use it to match
> against the fingerprints generated from smart TVs. It's then just a case of
> how much storage they want to pay to store their fingerprint back catalogue.
>
> https://www.adexchanger.com/ad-exchange-news/the-marketers-guide-to-acr-tech-in-smart-tvs/

On my LG TV there are settings to switch it all off - via several menus and
opt outs. Also, reset, data, whatever that means. I had a look just now, and
I'd thought I'd disabled it all when I bought it, but a couple of settings
were allowing tracking. Maybe they'd sneaked in folowing software updates.

In any event, I can't think of a way they use that data - for me at least. By
app, maybe - iPlayer for example. But the TV itself doesn't seem to push
anything that I use.

I'd be more worried if the data is used outside the TV . . . dread to think
what sort of profile AI might generate

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Fibre

<l3oc79FabftU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125345&group=uk.d-i-y#125345

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 07:42:33 +0000
 by: alan_m - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 07:42 UTC

On 21/02/2024 10:19, Theo wrote:
> Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> No real rush now my phone line has been repaired. In some ways I'd be
>> happier to not have my TV screen cluttered with intrusive video offers!
>
> Not sure that follows... speed of internet doesn't affect ads on your TV.
> But a good rule of thumb is to never connect a smart TV to the internet:
> makers sell them at a loss and make a profit by spying on your viewing
> habits and sending you ads. Better to use a third party box like an Apple
> TV [*] and connect via HDMI.
>
> Theo
>
> [*] Apple are better than the others, Nvidia Shield comes out well too:
> https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/privacynotincluded/categories/streaming-players/

My Samsung TV came with the settings for the adverts from thousands of
third parties default = on. On one of the privacy menu settings it was
possible to turn off these permissions BUT only one at a time, a task
that would have taken a week :). It took me quite a while to find in
the setting menu the option(s) to disable all of the permissions in one
go. The setting was obscurely and misleadingly named to hide the true
functionality. Even when turned off there were dire warnings about not
getting the best viewing experience from the TV!

Re: Fibre

<2p1etihqeulfk35n1fon9a173hh4e8ejic@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125346&group=uk.d-i-y#125346

From: chris@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 08:35:14 +0000
 by: Chris J Dixon - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 08:35 UTC

alan_m wrote:

>My Samsung TV came with the settings for the adverts from thousands of
>third parties default = on. On one of the privacy menu settings it was
>possible to turn off these permissions BUT only one at a time, a task
>that would have taken a week :). It took me quite a while to find in
>the setting menu the option(s) to disable all of the permissions in one
>go. The setting was obscurely and misleadingly named to hide the true
>functionality. Even when turned off there were dire warnings about not
>getting the best viewing experience from the TV!

And the setting name was?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: Fibre

<l3og2bFb2b9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125348&group=uk.d-i-y#125348

From: robert@invalid.invalid (Robert)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 08:48:10 +0000
 by: Robert - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 08:48 UTC

On 20/02/2024 17:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
> Whoopee!
>
> The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>
> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have to
> start worrying about telephone connections?
It depends on who is putting the fibre infrastructure in, there are
fibre companies who install the fibre and provide the ISP services and
those who install fibre for use by a selection of ISPs.
Unlike the copper feed from Openreach, each fibre company install their
own fibre so you could end up with more than one feed on the pole.
We have Wefibre ( Telecom) installed and working, with Fibrus installing
a 2nd fibre onto the pole at present !
There is usually plenty of local advertising when fibre is becoming
available sometimes with early-bird deals. I pay £20 per month for "1Gbps."
Worth thinking about where in the house you want the final connection
box installed.

Re: Fibre

<ur8tpj$6dfj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125393&group=uk.d-i-y#125393

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 01:52:51 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 01:52 UTC

On 21/02/2024 14:00, charles wrote:
> In article <kMoZKCQPGf1lFwzn@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
> <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <9Nn*jmxDz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
>> <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes
>>>
>>> On Openreach fibre you can pay £40 for a 'deluxe installation' (can't
>>> remember exactly what they call it) that includes a good length of
>>> interior cabling. They still want an external wall box at ground floor
>>> level (to terminate the street fibre and allow techs to access) so there
>>> would be a cable run down the outside, but the deluxe install means
>>> they'll run cables from there internally to where you want your ONT
>>> and/or router.
>
>> Ah! They are going to need an overhead incomer. Concrete yard and no
>> convenient lawns to trench:-)
>
> My incomer is overhead from a pole across the road.

Mine from a pole planted in the middle of our hedge...

>> I can re-jig my internal wiring for data but wi-fi and existing phone
>> system will be tricky. £40 install probably best. Better still if they
>> gift me enough *cable* to do the lofts run in advance.

A roll of CAT5E is cheap :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Fibre

<ur8tsd$6dfj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125394&group=uk.d-i-y#125394

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 01:54:21 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 01:54 UTC

> On 21/02/2024 12:50, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> In message <ur4jj5$32fbl$7@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
>> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>>>
>>> Not cables. Fibre.
>>>
>>> The ONT connects to the fibre WITH fibre.
>>>
>>> I suspect the deluxe is to add (external)?) Ethernet to where the
>>> incoming copper used to go.
>>>
>>> I don't think they want any fibre running around inside the house at
>>> all.
>>>
>>> E.g. they would do essentially what I have here
>>>
>>> http://vps.templar.co.uk/FTTP%20installation/6%20Modem%20installation.png
>>>
>>> Bring the fibre through the wall and put the NTU there, and then
>>> provide some internal *Ethernet* to the existing router position
>>
>> Confusion rains:-)
>>
>> So they could do the fibre termination in my office.
>
> If it is ground floor, yes. Although it looks like they would extend
> fibre from ground floor ingress to where you wantm, for extra
>
>> I then run some Ethernet cable to my existing router position.
>
> Yes. For openreach that is the important difference. The NTE and the
> router are *not* the same box and are connected by *Ethernet*'
>
> So the NTE goes where its convenient for Openreach, and the Router
> wherever is convenient for *you*...
>

> They supply a new router
>> with a phone outlet which I use for the Panasonic set up?
>>
> Probably: depends on ISP. Might use existing router and supply Ethernet
> to phone adapter.
>
> But that's irrelevant.  You will get a phone socket either in the
> router, or able to be attached to it via Ethernet

or use your own router with built in VoIP / SIP capability. Port the
phone service from the current telco / ISP and port the number to a SIP
service.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Fibre

<l3r4g8Fph2kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125398&group=uk.d-i-y#125398

From: robert@invalid.invalid (Robert)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 08:49:12 +0000
 by: Robert - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 08:49 UTC

On 20/02/2024 17:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
> Whoopee!
>
> The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>
> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have to
> start worrying about telephone connections?

It depends on who is putting the fibre infrastructure in, there are
fibre companies who install the fibre and provide the ISP services and
those who install fibre for use by a selection of ISPs.
Unlike the copper feed from Openreach, each fibre company install their
own fibre so you could end up with more than one feed on the pole.
We have Wefibre ( Telecom) installed and working, with Fibrus installing
a 2nd fibre onto the pole at present !
There is usually plenty of local advertising when fibre is becoming
available sometimes with early-bird deals. I pay £20 per month for "1Gbps."
Worth thinking about where in the house you want the final connection
box installed.

Re: Fibre

<1923875217.730376383.194314.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125412&group=uk.d-i-y#125412

From: timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Feb 2024 10:21:19 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 10:21 UTC

Robert <robert@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 20/02/2024 17:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> Whoopee!
>>
>> The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>>
>> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have to
>> start worrying about telephone connections?
>
> It depends on who is putting the fibre infrastructure in, there are
> fibre companies who install the fibre and provide the ISP services and
> those who install fibre for use by a selection of ISPs.
> Unlike the copper feed from Openreach, each fibre company install their
> own fibre so you could end up with more than one feed on the pole.
> We have Wefibre ( Telecom) installed and working, with Fibrus installing
> a 2nd fibre onto the pole at present !

I don’t think Tim Lamb lives in an area where there is hot competition for
fibre customers. That might be the case in cities but not out in the
sticks.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Fibre

<mnGpgpb4+G2lFw4g@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125413&group=uk.d-i-y#125413

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 10:13:12 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 10:13 UTC

In message <ur8tpj$6dfj$1@dont-email.me>, John Rumm
<see.my.signature@nowhere.null> writes
>On 21/02/2024 14:00, charles wrote:
>> In article <kMoZKCQPGf1lFwzn@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
>> <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <9Nn*jmxDz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
>>> <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes

>>> Ah! They are going to need an overhead incomer. Concrete yard and no
>>> convenient lawns to trench:-)
>> My incomer is overhead from a pole across the road.
>
>Mine from a pole planted in the middle of our hedge...
>
>>> I can re-jig my internal wiring for data but wi-fi and existing phone
>>> system will be tricky. £40 install probably best. Better still if they
>>> gift me enough *cable* to do the lofts run in advance.
>
>A roll of CAT5E is cheap :-)

I have the cable from the original install. This is a chalet bungalow so
routing their cable around the soffits might work except I doubt my wife
will want electronic clutter on her kitchen wall.

There seem to be several workable options from upthread posts so I think
waiting to see if Plusnet have anything planned might be best.

Current connection is by their Hub 2.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Fibre

<$3Xv0Zd9LH2lFwKT@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125414&group=uk.d-i-y#125414

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 10:27:09 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 10:27 UTC

In message <l3r4g8Fph2kU1@mid.individual.net>, Robert
<robert@invalid.invalid> writes
>On 20/02/2024 17:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> Whoopee!
>> The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have
>>to start worrying about telephone connections?
>
>It depends on who is putting the fibre infrastructure in, there are
>fibre companies who install the fibre and provide the ISP services and
>those who install fibre for use by a selection of ISPs.
>Unlike the copper feed from Openreach, each fibre company install their
>own fibre so you could end up with more than one feed on the pole.
>We have Wefibre ( Telecom) installed and working, with Fibrus
>installing a 2nd fibre onto the pole at present !
>There is usually plenty of local advertising when fibre is becoming
>available sometimes with early-bird deals. I pay £20 per month for
>"1Gbps."
>Worth thinking about where in the house you want the final connection
>box installed.

Ok. If there is a deluxe offer, it would suit me to have it run to the
existing router position. I guess I could put a cable duct linked to the
soffit without much effort.
There is power available, existing telephone incomer, Netgear ethernet
booster and router.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Fibre

<w-e*zfIDz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125421&group=uk.d-i-y#125421

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Feb 2024 11:45:42 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 11:45 UTC

Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:
> Robert <robert@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > It depends on who is putting the fibre infrastructure in, there are
> > fibre companies who install the fibre and provide the ISP services and
> > those who install fibre for use by a selection of ISPs.
> > Unlike the copper feed from Openreach, each fibre company install their
> > own fibre so you could end up with more than one feed on the pole.
> > We have Wefibre ( Telecom) installed and working, with Fibrus installing
> > a 2nd fibre onto the pole at present !
>
> I don’t think Tim Lamb lives in an area where there is hot competition for
> fibre customers. That might be the case in cities but not out in the
> sticks.

In rural areas there's actually quite good competition for customers -
Openreach can't be bothered, and so altnets want to get their fibre in the
ground and have first mover advantage before Openreach gets around to doing
theirs.

Usually altnets pick off areas one by one, so you may find one village has
one altnet and the next has a different one. It's less likely to have
two altnets sharing the same patch.

Theo

Re: Fibre

<l3rjkkFrt4nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125424&group=uk.d-i-y#125424

From: robert@invalid.invalid (Robert)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 13:07:32 +0000
 by: Robert - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 13:07 UTC

On 23/02/2024 10:21, Tim+ wrote:
> Robert <robert@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 20/02/2024 17:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>> Whoopee!
>>>
>>> The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>>>
>>> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have to
>>> start worrying about telephone connections?
>>
>> It depends on who is putting the fibre infrastructure in, there are
>> fibre companies who install the fibre and provide the ISP services and
>> those who install fibre for use by a selection of ISPs.
>> Unlike the copper feed from Openreach, each fibre company install their
>> own fibre so you could end up with more than one feed on the pole.
>> We have Wefibre ( Telecom) installed and working, with Fibrus installing
>> a 2nd fibre onto the pole at present !
>
> I don’t think Tim Lamb lives in an area where there is hot competition for
> fibre customers. That might be the case in cities but not out in the
> sticks.
>
> Tim

I am in a small rural town , think there was money to provide fibre to
these rural locations so we now have 2 companies interdependently
installing fibre here and in local villages !

Re: Fibre

<l3rjqeFrt4nU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125425&group=uk.d-i-y#125425

From: robert@invalid.invalid (Robert)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 13:10:38 +0000
 by: Robert - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 13:10 UTC

On 23/02/2024 10:27, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <l3r4g8Fph2kU1@mid.individual.net>, Robert
> <robert@invalid.invalid> writes
>> On 20/02/2024 17:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>> Whoopee!
>>>  The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>>>  How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have
>>> to  start worrying about telephone connections?
>>
>> It depends on who is putting the fibre infrastructure in, there are
>> fibre companies who install the fibre and provide the ISP services and
>> those who install fibre for use by a selection of ISPs.
>> Unlike the copper feed from Openreach, each fibre company install
>> their own fibre so you could end up with more than one feed on the pole.
>> We have Wefibre ( Telecom) installed and working, with Fibrus
>> installing a 2nd fibre onto the pole at present !
>> There is usually plenty of local advertising when fibre is becoming
>> available sometimes with early-bird deals. I pay £20 per month for
>> "1Gbps."
>> Worth thinking about where in the house you want the final connection
>> box installed.
>
> Ok. If there is a deluxe offer, it would suit me to have it run to the
> existing router position. I guess I could put a cable duct linked to the
> soffit without much effort.
> There is power available, existing telephone incomer, Netgear ethernet
> booster and router.

The external fibre got run overhead from existing Openreach pole to
House wall, alongside Openrach copper, then thin internal fibre run 18m
through house and 3 walls to my router. No internal ducts just stuck to
ceiling/wall corners and almost invisible.

Re: Fibre

<l3rrc7Fsui3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125449&group=uk.d-i-y#125449

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 15:19:36 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 15:19 UTC

On 22/02/2024 08:35, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> alan_m wrote:
>
>> My Samsung TV came with the settings for the adverts from thousands of
>> third parties default = on. On one of the privacy menu settings it was
>> possible to turn off these permissions BUT only one at a time, a task
>> that would have taken a week :). It took me quite a while to find in
>> the setting menu the option(s) to disable all of the permissions in one
>> go. The setting was obscurely and misleadingly named to hide the true
>> functionality. Even when turned off there were dire warnings about not
>> getting the best viewing experience from the TV!
>
> And the setting name was?
>
> Chris

I've just checked, the exact wording in the menu is an option titled

"I consent to Interest based Advertisements"

Re: Fibre

<a3Gmk1e5VH2lFwOe@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125455&group=uk.d-i-y#125455

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 10:37:45 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 10:37 UTC

In message
<1923875217.730376383.194314.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.
net>, Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> writes
>Robert <robert@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 20/02/2024 17:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>> Whoopee!
>>>
>>> The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed!
>>>
>>> How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have to
>>> start worrying about telephone connections?
>>
>> It depends on who is putting the fibre infrastructure in, there are
>> fibre companies who install the fibre and provide the ISP services and
>> those who install fibre for use by a selection of ISPs.
>> Unlike the copper feed from Openreach, each fibre company install their
>> own fibre so you could end up with more than one feed on the pole.
>> We have Wefibre ( Telecom) installed and working, with Fibrus installing
>> a 2nd fibre onto the pole at present !
>
>I don’t think Tim Lamb lives in an area where there is hot competition for
>fibre customers. That might be the case in cities but not out in the
>sticks.

Indeed. This is a residential village of around 7000. Very little known
commercial activity apart from high street shops.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Fibre

<KzGilBg5oM2lFwcm@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125459&group=uk.d-i-y#125459

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 16:39:21 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 16:39 UTC

In message <l3rjqeFrt4nU2@mid.individual.net>, Robert
<robert@invalid.invalid> writes
>On 23/02/2024 10:27, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> In message <l3r4g8Fph2kU1@mid.individual.net>, Robert
>><robert@invalid.invalid> writes
>>>
>>> It depends on who is putting the fibre infrastructure in, there are
>>>fibre companies who install the fibre and provide the ISP services
>>>and those who install fibre for use by a selection of ISPs.
>>> Unlike the copper feed from Openreach, each fibre company install
>>>their own fibre so you could end up with more than one feed on the pole.
>>> We have Wefibre ( Telecom) installed and working, with Fibrus
>>>installing a 2nd fibre onto the pole at present !
>>> There is usually plenty of local advertising when fibre is becoming
>>>available sometimes with early-bird deals. I pay £20 per month for
>>>"1Gbps."
>>> Worth thinking about where in the house you want the final
>>>connection box installed.
>> Ok. If there is a deluxe offer, it would suit me to have it run to
>>the existing router position. I guess I could put a cable duct linked
>>to the soffit without much effort.
>> There is power available, existing telephone incomer, Netgear
>>ethernet booster and router.
>>
>The external fibre got run overhead from existing Openreach pole to
>House wall, alongside Openrach copper, then thin internal fibre run 18m
>through house and 3 walls to my router. No internal ducts just stuck to
>ceiling/wall corners and almost invisible.

So not jointed at house wall. Our phone line runs through the outer
cavity wall, along a convenient tie beam, through a second cavity wall
and along a further beam before reaching an eaves cupboard and the
outlet. Access by 2 loft hatches. Bit much for your average installer!

--
Tim Lamb

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Fibre