The lion and the calf shall lie down together but the calf won't get much sleep. -- Woody Allen

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Cat scares

SubjectAuthor
* Cat scareswasbit
+* Re: Cat scaresColin Bignell
|`- Re: Cat scareswasbit
+* Re: Cat scaresalan_m
|+* Re: Cat scaresTheo
||`* Re: Cat scaresalan_m
|| +- Re: Cat scaresJeff Gaines
|| +* Re: Cat scaresTheo
|| |`* Re: Cat scaresalan_m
|| | +* Re: Cat scarescharles
|| | +* Re: Cat scaresRod Speed
|| | +* Re: Cat scaresTim Streater
|| | `* Re: Cat scaresJNugent
|| |  +* Re: Cat scaresJoe
|| |  |+- Re: Cat scaresJNugent
|| |  |`* Re: Cat scaresRod Speed
|| |  | +- Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!Peeler
|| |  | `- Re: Cat scaresJoe
|| |  +- Re: Cat scaresJeff Gaines
|| |  +- Re: Cat scaresTim Streater
|| |  +* Re: Cat scaresRod Speed
|| |  |`- Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!Peeler
|| |  `* Re: Cat scaresFredxx
|| |   `- Re: Cat scaresalan_m
|| +* Re: Cat scaresRod Speed
|| |+* Re: Cat scaresalan_m
|| |`- Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!Peeler
|| `- Re: Cat scaresSam Plusnet
|+- Re: Cat scaresSteveW
|`- Re: Cat scaresRoger Hayter
+* Re: Cat scaresClive Arthur
|+- Re: Cat scaresJeff Gaines
|`- Re: Cat scaresSoup
+* Re: Cat scaresRod Speed
|`- Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!Peeler
+- Re: Cat scaresCursitor Doom
+* Re: Cat scaresDavid Paste
|+* Re: Cat scaresalan_m
||+* Re: Cat scaresJNugent
|||+- Re: Cat scaresCursitor Doom
|||+* Re: Cat scaresRod Speed
|||+* Re: Cat scaresalan_m
|||`* Re: Cat scaresDavid Wade
||| `- Re: Cat scaresJNugent
||+* Re: Cat scaresRod Speed
|||`- Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!Peeler
||`* Re: Cat scaresDavid Paste
|| +* Re: Cat scaresThe Natural Philosopher
|| |`- Re: Cat scaresDavid Paste
|| `* Re: Cat scaresalan_m
||  +- Re: Cat scaresTim Streater
||  +* Re: Cat scaresDavid Paste
||  |`- Re: Cat scaresJNugent
||  `* Re: Cat scaresJNugent
||   `* Re: Cat scaresThe Natural Philosopher
||    `* Re: Cat scaresJNugent
|`* Re: Cat scaresClive Arthur
`* Re: Cat scareswasbit

Pages:12345
Cat scares

<us9eue$anu9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126332&group=uk.d-i-y#126332

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Cat scares
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 10:01:52 +0000
 by: wasbit - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 10:01 UTC

A neighbour (non cat owner) has a problem with cats defecating in his
front garden which is covered with white chippings.
The perimeter is too long & has too many access points to prevent them
entering.
He is currently contemplating covering the chippings with wire mesh.
Can anyone suggest a better or more cost effective deterrent?

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Cat scares

<noadnS2RXagk2HX4nZ2dnZeNn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126335&group=uk.d-i-y#126335

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 10:37:06 +0000
Subject: Re: Cat scares
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 10:37 UTC

On 06/03/2024 10:01, wasbit wrote:
> A neighbour (non cat owner) has a problem with cats defecating in his
> front garden which is covered with white chippings.
> The perimeter is too long & has too many access points to prevent them
> entering.
> He is currently contemplating covering the chippings with wire mesh.
> Can anyone suggest a better or more cost effective deterrent?

Replace the chippings with large pebbles.
Spray the area with lion urine
Scatter lemon or orange peel around the area
Grow lavender in the garden

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Cat scares

<l4qvnoFog5sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126336&group=uk.d-i-y#126336

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 10:44:08 +0000
 by: alan_m - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 10:44 UTC

On 06/03/2024 10:01, wasbit wrote:
> A neighbour (non cat owner) has a problem with cats defecating in his
> front garden which is covered with white chippings.
> The perimeter is too long & has too many access points to prevent them
> entering.
> He is currently contemplating covering the chippings with wire mesh.
> Can anyone suggest a better or more cost effective deterrent?

What doesn't work is those ultrasonic cat/dog/mouse sounders. It will
scare the cat off a few times but after a couple of days they take no
notice.

Probably the only way is to apply for an ASBO for the irresponsible cat
owners who let their pets roam and shit in other peoples gardens. :(

Re: Cat scares

<us9him$b81q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126338&group=uk.d-i-y#126338

From: clive@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 10:46:43 +0000
 by: Clive Arthur - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 10:46 UTC

On 06/03/2024 10:01, wasbit wrote:
> A neighbour (non cat owner) has a problem with cats defecating in his
> front garden which is covered with white chippings.
> The perimeter is too long & has too many access points to prevent them
> entering.
> He is currently contemplating covering the chippings with wire mesh.
> Can anyone suggest a better or more cost effective deterrent?

We have a 'Catfree' ultrasonic cat deterrent which works very well -
from pretty much daily turds to turd free. It has a PIR sensor which
triggers the ultrasound and runs from a PP3 which lasts a couple to a
few months.

However. Ours is in an enclosed small back yard with high stone walls
which I'm sure helps to contain and concentrate the sound. Also, be
aware that these don't work instantly, the cats need to learn to
associate the sound with their presence which may take a couple of weeks.

And of course, deaf cats are immune to this. If the perp is a white cat
with two blue eyes, it's quite likely to be deaf. White with one blue
eye and it could well be deaf, white with no blue eyes and it stands a
good chance of being deaf.

--
Cheers
Clive

Re: Cat scares

<csD*0xHEz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126345&group=uk.d-i-y#126345

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 06 Mar 2024 11:47:30 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 11:47 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> Probably the only way is to apply for an ASBO for the irresponsible cat
> owners who let their pets roam and shit in other peoples gardens. :(

TBF they have built something that looks just like a giant cat litter tray
with pristine white litter, so it's not surprising the cats think it's an
ideal place to poop. Pooping in the litter tray provided is them doing
exactly what humans have trained them to do.

Theo

Re: Cat scares

<xn0oj026jbj48oj025@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126346&group=uk.d-i-y#126346

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 6 Mar 2024 11:48:22 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 11:48 UTC

On 06/03/2024 in message <us9him$b81q$1@dont-email.me> Clive Arthur wrote:

>And of course, deaf cats are immune to this. If the perp is a white cat
>with two blue eyes, it's quite likely to be deaf. White with one blue eye
>and it could well be deaf, white with no blue eyes and it stands a good
>chance of being deaf.

White with no eyes probably blind as well :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The fact that there's a highway to hell and only a stairway to heaven says

Re: Cat scares

<us9obo$dco6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126354&group=uk.d-i-y#126354

From: steve@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 12:42:31 +0000
 by: SteveW - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 12:42 UTC

On 06/03/2024 10:44, alan_m wrote:
> On 06/03/2024 10:01, wasbit wrote:
>> A neighbour (non cat owner) has a problem with cats defecating in his
>> front garden which is covered with white chippings.
>> The perimeter is too long & has too many access points to prevent them
>> entering.
>> He is currently contemplating covering the chippings with wire mesh.
>> Can anyone suggest a better or more cost effective deterrent?
>>

> What doesn't work is those ultrasonic cat/dog/mouse sounders. It will
> scare the cat off a few times but after a couple of days they take no
> notice.

And they are often in the upper hearing range of children and very
annoying for them while playing out. A neighbour had one and our sons
foun dit uncomfortable to play for long in our own garden.

Re: Cat scares

<l4r924Fpr34U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126360&group=uk.d-i-y#126360

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 13:23:16 +0000
 by: alan_m - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 13:23 UTC

On 06/03/2024 11:47, Theo wrote:
> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> Probably the only way is to apply for an ASBO for the irresponsible cat
>> owners who let their pets roam and shit in other peoples gardens. :(
>
> TBF they have built something that looks just like a giant cat litter tray
> with pristine white litter, so it's not surprising the cats think it's an
> ideal place to poop. Pooping in the litter tray provided is them doing
> exactly what humans have trained them to do.
>
> Theo

So the victims of irresponsible cat owners are to blame?

Re: Cat scares

<us9ref$ek6b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126364&group=uk.d-i-y#126364

From: cheez2011@gmail.com (Soup)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 13:35:10 +0000
 by: Soup - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 13:35 UTC

On 06/03/2024 10:46, Clive Arthur wrote:

> And of course, deaf cats are immune to this.  If the perp is a white cat
> with two blue eyes, it's quite likely to be deaf.  White with one blue
> eye and it could well be deaf, white with no blue eyes and it stands a
> good chance of being deaf.

Interestingly(?) we had a white cat with two blue eyes and she could
hear fine .
Her mother was an "odd eye blue" and had one blue eye and one a sort of
Orange (no idea if she could hear, was not familliar with her or her
'staff').

Re: Cat scares

<xn0oj058zbn9s95027@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126366&group=uk.d-i-y#126366

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 6 Mar 2024 13:44:39 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 13:44 UTC

On 06/03/2024 in message <l4r924Fpr34U2@mid.individual.net> alan_m wrote:

>On 06/03/2024 11:47, Theo wrote:
>>alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>>>Probably the only way is to apply for an ASBO for the irresponsible cat
>>>owners who let their pets roam and shit in other peoples gardens. :(
>>
>>TBF they have built something that looks just like a giant cat litter tray
>>with pristine white litter, so it's not surprising the cats think it's an
>>ideal place to poop. Pooping in the litter tray provided is them doing
>>exactly what humans have trained them to do.
>>
>>Theo
>

>So the victims of irresponsible cat owners are to blame?

"Cats are protected by law and are free to roam meaning they might go into
other people's gardens or allotments. It is understood that some may wish
to deter other people's cats from those areas."

https://www.rspca.org.uk/documents/1494939/7712578/CAT_adviceondeterringcats.pdf

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Have you ever noticed that all the instruments searching for intelligent

Re: Cat scares

<bsD*B9HEz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126370&group=uk.d-i-y#126370

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 06 Mar 2024 14:27:57 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 14:27 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 06/03/2024 11:47, Theo wrote:
> > alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Probably the only way is to apply for an ASBO for the irresponsible cat
> >> owners who let their pets roam and shit in other peoples gardens. :(
> >
> > TBF they have built something that looks just like a giant cat litter tray
> > with pristine white litter, so it's not surprising the cats think it's an
> > ideal place to poop. Pooping in the litter tray provided is them doing
> > exactly what humans have trained them to do.
>
> So the victims of irresponsible cat owners are to blame?

How exactly are the cat owners irresponsible? You can't train cats like
dogs, they do their own thing. The only thing you can do is control when
you let them out or keep them in 24/7 - some cats cope with that, others
don't. Cats also climb so, unless you build a maximum security prison in
your garden, they will roam.

Somebody has built something that looks to them like a luxury toilet. So
their options are to make it unappealing in some way - either physical
measures like covering it or changing the litter, or let it get dirty enough
that it's no longer an attractive toilet.

Theo

Re: Cat scares

<op.2j72yjnobyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126384&group=uk.d-i-y#126384

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 04:31:21 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:31 UTC

On Wed, 06 Mar 2024 21:01:52 +1100, wasbit <wasbit@nowhere.com> wrote:

> A neighbour (non cat owner) has a problem with cats defecating in his
> front garden which is covered with white chippings.
> The perimeter is too long & has too many access points to prevent them
> entering.
> He is currently contemplating covering the chippings with wire mesh.
> Can anyone suggest a better or more cost effective deterrent?

Big dog on a long chain that can reach anywhere in the front garden.

Re: Cat scares

<l4rnk4FrutcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126385&group=uk.d-i-y#126385

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:31:49 +0000
 by: alan_m - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:31 UTC

On 06/03/2024 14:27, Theo wrote:
> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> TBF they have built something that looks just like a giant cat litter tray
>>> with pristine white litter, so it's not surprising the cats think it's an
>>> ideal place to poop. Pooping in the litter tray provided is them doing
>>> exactly what humans have trained them to do.
>>
>> So the victims of irresponsible cat owners are to blame?
>
> How exactly are the cat owners irresponsible?

By owning a pet that they know that they cannot control and then not
taking any responsibility for cleaning up their pet's shit.

And then they think this anti-social behaviour is perfectly acceptable
by taking pride in quoting the bullshit that cats cannot be controlled.

> Somebody has built something that looks to them like a luxury toilet. So
> their options are to make it unappealing in some way - either physical
> measures like covering it or changing the litter, or let it get dirty enough
> that it's no longer an attractive toilet.

Typical response from a cat person who fails to recognise that they are
sole reason for this type of problem. It is no longer acceptable to have
so many cats in a built up urban area and the law should be changed to
reflect that cats are a problem, and more so for the owners that make
excuses for their failure to act in a responsible social manner when it
comes to cat shit.

I'll bet you would be the first to complain if a dog owner let their pet
shit in your front garden.

Re: Cat scares

<op.2j73f8hwbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126387&group=uk.d-i-y#126387

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 04:41:58 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:41 UTC

On Thu, 07 Mar 2024 00:23:16 +1100, alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> On 06/03/2024 11:47, Theo wrote:
>> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Probably the only way is to apply for an ASBO for the irresponsible cat
>>> owners who let their pets roam and shit in other peoples gardens. :(
>> TBF they have built something that looks just like a giant cat litter
>> tray
>> with pristine white litter, so it's not surprising the cats think it's
>> an
>> ideal place to poop. Pooping in the litter tray provided is them doing
>> exactly what humans have trained them to do.
>> Theo
>

> So the victims of irresponsible cat owners are to blame?

For deliberately making what the cat thinks is a giant cat litter tray,
yep.

Re: Cat scares

<l4rokqFs61uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126389&group=uk.d-i-y#126389

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:49:14 +0000
 by: alan_m - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:49 UTC

On 06/03/2024 17:41, Rod Speed wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Mar 2024 00:23:16 +1100, alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>>>  TBF they have built something that looks just like a giant cat
>>> litter tray
>>> with pristine white litter, so it's not surprising the cats think
>>> it's an
>>> ideal place to poop.  Pooping in the litter tray provided is them doing
>>> exactly what humans have trained them to do.
>>>  Theo
>>

>> So the victims of irresponsible cat owners are to blame?
>
> For deliberately making what the cat thinks is a giant cat litter tray,
> yep.

So the solution that has be adopted by irresponsible cat owners is to
make their own property look like the ideal litter tray so that their
cats prefer shitting there.
Cat owner need to take responsibly for their own pets and not insist
that others spend money degrading their properties to make them
unattractive as a cat toilet , or spend money on other cat deterrents.

Re: Cat scares

<5b3d7cb9ebcharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126391&group=uk.d-i-y#126391

From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 24 18:00:13 UTC
 by: charles - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:00 UTC

In article <l4rnk4FrutcU1@mid.individual.net>, alan_m
<junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 06/03/2024 14:27, Theo wrote:
> > alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> >> So the victims of irresponsible cat owners are to blame?
> >
> > How exactly are the cat owners irresponsible?

> By owning a pet that they know that they cannot control and then not
> taking any responsibility for cleaning up their pet's shit.

Cats don't have owners, they have people who provide bed & board.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

<8j2GN.370625$vFZa.280113@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126393&group=uk.d-i-y#126393

From: trolltrap@valid.invalid (Peeler)
Subject: Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 19:09:05 +0100
 by: Peeler - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:09 UTC

On Thu, 07 Mar 2024 04:41:58 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID: <f9056fe6-1479-40ff-8cc0-8118292c547e@googlegroups.com>

Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

<Wj2GN.403020$Ama9.260785@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126394&group=uk.d-i-y#126394

From: trolltrap@valid.invalid (Peeler)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 19:09:55 +0100
 by: Peeler - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:09 UTC

On Thu, 07 Mar 2024 04:31:21 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/rod-speed-faq.2973853/

Re: Cat scares

<op.2j74uwo1byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126395&group=uk.d-i-y#126395

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 05:12:22 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:12 UTC

On Thu, 07 Mar 2024 04:31:49 +1100, alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> On 06/03/2024 14:27, Theo wrote:
>> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>>> So the victims of irresponsible cat owners are to blame?
>> How exactly are the cat owners irresponsible?
>
> By owning a pet that they know that they cannot control and then not
> taking any responsibility for cleaning up their pet's shit.
>
> And then they think this anti-social behaviour is perfectly acceptable
> by taking pride in quoting the bullshit that cats cannot be controlled.
>
>> Somebody has built something that looks to them like a luxury toilet.
>> So
>> their options are to make it unappealing in some way - either physical
>> measures like covering it or changing the litter, or let it get dirty
>> enough
>> that it's no longer an attractive toilet.
>
> Typical response from a cat person who fails to recognise that they are
> sole reason for this type of problem. It is no longer acceptable to have
> so many cats in a built up urban area and the law should be changed to
> reflect that cats are a problem, and more so for the owners that make
> excuses for their failure to act in a responsible social manner when it
> comes to cat shit.

So next you will be poisoning all the birds because they dare to shit on
your car and roof.

> I'll bet you would be the first to complain if a dog owner let their pet
> shit in your front garden.

That happens all the time with my place because
its next to a small park/walk way with no fence
between my propery and the park, deliberates.

A number of individuals do walk their dogs and
exercise them off lead in the park every single
day and I don't give a damn about dog shit.

Just the once a mate managed to step on one when
visiting, and that was in what is now 50 years.

And there are always a few of the neighbour's
cats who love my jungle and love to bask in the
sun in winter on the concrete on the north side
of my passive solar house. Never noticed any
cat shit, but there must be plenty there somewhere.

Re: Cat scares

<op.2j744dxfbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126396&group=uk.d-i-y#126396

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 05:18:03 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:18 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote
>>> Theo wrote

>>> So the victims of irresponsible cat owners are to blame?

>> For deliberately making what the cat thinks is a giant cat litter
>> tray, yep.

> So the solution that has be adopted by irresponsible cat owners is to
> make their own property look like the ideal litter tray so that their
> cats prefer shitting there.

The solution that should have been adopted by those
who are obsessed about cat shit is to not have a front
yard that is a gigantic litter tray that all the neighbour
cats will choose to use.

> Cat owner need to take responsibly for their own pets and not insist
> that others spend money degrading their properties to make them
> unattractive as a cat toilet , or spend money on other cat deterrents.

Or they could get real radical and not be stupid enough to spend
lots more money on a gigantic litter tray for all the neighbour's cats.

Re: Cat scares

<l4rr1sFs8s0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126397&group=uk.d-i-y#126397

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:30:20 +0000
 by: alan_m - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:30 UTC

On 06/03/2024 18:00, charles wrote:

> Cats don't have owners, they have people who provide bed & board.

Again typical response from cat owners that take no responsibility for
the problem they have created.

Re: Cat scares

<l4rr78Fsk4oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126398&group=uk.d-i-y#126398

From: tim@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 6 Mar 2024 18:33:12 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:33 UTC

On 6 Mar 2024 at 17:31:49 GMT, "alan_m" <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> On 06/03/2024 14:27, Theo wrote:
>> alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>>> So the victims of irresponsible cat owners are to blame?
>>
>> How exactly are the cat owners irresponsible?
>
> By owning a pet that they know that they cannot control and then not
> taking any responsibility for cleaning up their pet's shit.

Am I supposed to follow Tibbles around 7 X 24?

> And then they think this anti-social behaviour is perfectly acceptable
> by taking pride in quoting the bullshit that cats cannot be controlled.
>

>> Somebody has built something that looks to them like a luxury toilet. So
>> their options are to make it unappealing in some way - either physical
>> measures like covering it or changing the litter, or let it get dirty enough
>> that it's no longer an attractive toilet.
>
> Typical response from a cat person who fails to recognise that they are
> sole reason for this type of problem. It is no longer acceptable to have
> so many cats in a built up urban area and the law should be changed to

I'm not in a built-up urban area.

Our cat seems to prefer to come in and use the litter tray rather than the
large garden, the 15 acre field behind us, or the 20 acre field across the
road.

> reflect that cats are a problem, and more so for the owners that make
> excuses for their failure to act in a responsible social manner when it
> comes to cat shit.
>
> I'll bet you would be the first to complain if a dog owner let their pet
> shit in your front garden.

Dog shit is a far far worse problem than cat shit. Dogs shit where they are,
rather than, as with cats, taking any steps to bury it (which is what cats
usually do). It's not as bad as it once was, but try any public footpath and
what do you find? Dog shit and if there are trees, dog shit in *bags*, FFS.

Dog shit is also much more unpleasant than cat shit, and may contain those
parasites that cause blindness.

--
"People don't buy Microsoft for quality, they buy it for compatibility with what Bob in accounting bought last year. Trace it back - they buy Microsoft because the IBM Selectric didn't suck much" - P Seebach, afc

Re: Cat scares

<op.2j75wozkbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126400&group=uk.d-i-y#126400

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 05:35:02 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:35 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote
> charles wrote

>> Cats don't have owners, they have people who provide bed & board.

> Again typical response from cat owners that takeno responsibility for
> the problem they have created.

Again, typical response from cat haters who don't
have a clue about cats.

Re: Cat scares

<l4rrf0Fs8s0U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126401&group=uk.d-i-y#126401

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:37:20 +0000
 by: alan_m - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:37 UTC

On 06/03/2024 18:18, Rod Speed wrote:

> The solution that should have been adopted by those
> who are obsessed about cat shit is to not have a front
> yard that is a gigantic litter tray that all the neighbour
> cats will choose to use.

Here in the uk if dogs shit anywhere they want and it is not cleaned up
by their owners it is considered to be anti-social.

Why is acceptable for cat owners not to be held to the same standards?

Re: Cat scares

<op.2j76cfxfohnwxp@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126402&group=uk.d-i-y#126402

From: bhju88@gmail.com (blacky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 05:44:29 +1100
 by: blacky - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:44 UTC

On Thu, 07 Mar 2024 05:33:12 +1100, Tim Streater <tim@streater.me.uk>
wrote:

> On 6 Mar 2024 at 17:31:49 GMT, "alan_m" <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>>> How exactly are the cat owners irresponsible?
>>
>> By owning a pet that they know that they cannot control and then not
>> taking any responsibility for cleaning up their pet's shit.
>
> Am I supposed to follow Tibbles around 7 X 24?
>
>> And then they think this anti-social behaviour is perfectly acceptable
>> by taking pride in quoting the bullshit that cats cannot be controlled.
>>

>>> Somebody has built something that looks to them like a luxury toilet.
>>> So
>>> their options are to make it unappealing in some way - either physical
>>> measures like covering it or changing the litter, or let it get dirty
>>> enough
>>> that it's no longer an attractive toilet.
>>
>> Typical response from a cat person who fails to recognise that they are
>> sole reason for this type of problem. It is no longer acceptable to have
>> so many cats in a built up urban area and the law should be changed to
>
> I'm not in a built-up urban area.
>
> Our cat seems to prefer to come in and use the litter tray rather than
> the
> large garden, the 15 acre field behind us, or the 20 acre field across
> the
> road.
>
>> reflect that cats are a problem, and more so for the owners that make
>> excuses for their failure to act in a responsible social manner when it
>> comes to cat shit.
>>
>> I'll bet you would be the first to complain if a dog owner let their pet
>> shit in your front garden.
>
> Dog shit is a far far worse problem than cat shit. Dogs shit where they
> are,
> rather than, as with cats, taking any steps to bury it (which is what
> cats
> usually do). It's not as bad as it once was, but try any public footpath
> and
> what do you find? Dog shit and if there are trees, dog shit in *bags*,
> FFS.

> Dog shit is also much more unpleasant than cat shit,

That's not correct.

and may contain
> those
> parasites that cause blindness.