It's always sad when the fleas leave, because that means your dog is dead. -- Wesley T. Williams

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / UK PAYG recommendation

SubjectAuthor
* UK PAYG recommendationChamp
+* UK PAYG recommendationchrisnd @ukrm
|`- UK PAYG recommendationEddie
+* UK PAYG recommendationwessie
|`* UK PAYG recommendationSqirrel99
| +- UK PAYG recommendationRustyHinge
| +- UK PAYG recommendationsweller
| +* UK PAYG recommendationwessie
| |`* UK PAYG recommendationSqirrel99
| | `- UK PAYG recommendationwessie
| `* UK PAYG recommendationYTC#1
|  +* UK PAYG recommendationSqirrel99
|  |`- UK PAYG recommendationYTC#1
|  +* UK PAYG recommendationajh
|  |`* UK PAYG recommendationYTC#1
|  | `* UK PAYG recommendationajh
|  |  +* UK PAYG recommendationSqirrel99
|  |  |`- UK PAYG recommendationajh
|  |  `- UK PAYG recommendationStephen Packer
|  `* UK PAYG recommendationYTC#1
|   `* UK PAYG recommendationYTC#1
|    `* UK PAYG recommendationSqirrel99
|     `* UK PAYG recommendationYTC#1
|      `* UK PAYG recommendationStephen Packer
|       +- UK PAYG recommendationYTC#1
|       +- UK PAYG recommendationAndy Burns
|       `- UK PAYG recommendationMark Olson
+* UK PAYG recommendationsiwilson
|`* UK PAYG recommendationHiggins
| `- UK PAYG recommendationsiwilson
+- UK PAYG recommendationYTC#1
+* UK PAYG recommendationcrn
|`- UK PAYG recommendationChamp
+* UK PAYG recommendationBoots
|`* UK PAYG recommendationChamp
| +* UK PAYG recommendationsiwilson
| |`- UK PAYG recommendationRustyHinge
| `* UK PAYG recommendationBoots
|  `* UK PAYG recommendationYTC#1
|   `- UK PAYG recommendationMike Fleming
+* UK PAYG recommendationTheo
|`- UK PAYG recommendationSpike
+* UK PAYG recommendationTim
|`- UK PAYG recommendationTim
`* Damaged Phone Replacement (Was: UK PAYG recommendation)"Worst Case"
 +- Damaged Phone Replacement (Was: UK PAYG recommendation)wessie
 +* Damaged Phone Replacement (Was: UK PAYG recommendation)Stephen Packer
 |`* Damaged Phone Replacement (Was: UK PAYG recommendation)Ace
 | +* Damaged Phone Replacement (Was: UK PAYG recommendation)Eddie
 | |`* Damaged Phone Replacement (Was: UK PAYG recommendation)Stephen Packer
 | | `- Damaged Phone Replacement (Was: UK PAYG recommendation)Eddie
 | `- Damaged Phone Replacement (Was: UK PAYG recommendation)Stephen Packer
 `- Damaged Phone Replacement (Was: UK PAYG recommendation)Boots

Pages:123
UK PAYG recommendation

<95f7di1c4urkg5c7tt6ncqcnhcg49ihni1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17447&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17447

From: neal@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: UK PAYG recommendation
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2023 17:25:23 +0100
 by: Champ - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 16:25 UTC

I've had my the same mobile phone number since the early 1990s, and am
loathe to let it go.

But I'm in a different jurisdiction now, and should get something
local (everyone here just dials 6 digits for local mobile or landline
calls - no need for the prefix), and I always feel I have to apologise
for "still being on a UK number" when I have to give my number to
someone.

I'm with Three at the mo, and old-fashioned SMSs have started to
become flakey, and I can't get my voicemail from my handset (I can
from literally any other phone on earth!), a problem Three have been
continually unable to solve.

So I'm thinking of getting a local contract, and using a dual-SIM
handset (which I currently have), such that I have use my new local
SIM most of the time, but my old heritage number is still live and in
the other slot.

But, when I started looking at PAYG contracts, it looks like most
nowadays expire after 30 days! WTF? Is this the new normal? Can
you still get a PAYG contract that you don't have to use much?
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<kjhts5F1qb9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17449&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17449

From: chrisnd@privacy.net (chrisnd @ukrm)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: UK PAYG recommendation
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 17:40:37 +0100
 by: chrisnd @ukrm - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 16:40 UTC

On 09/08/2023 17:25, Champ wrote:
> I've had my the same mobile phone number since the early 1990s, and am
> loathe to let it go.
>
> But I'm in a different jurisdiction now, and should get something
> local (everyone here just dials 6 digits for local mobile or landline
> calls - no need for the prefix), and I always feel I have to apologise
> for "still being on a UK number" when I have to give my number to
> someone.
>
> I'm with Three at the mo, and old-fashioned SMSs have started to
> become flakey, and I can't get my voicemail from my handset (I can
> from literally any other phone on earth!), a problem Three have been
> continually unable to solve.
>
> So I'm thinking of getting a local contract, and using a dual-SIM
> handset (which I currently have), such that I have use my new local
> SIM most of the time, but my old heritage number is still live and in
> the other slot.
>
> But, when I started looking at PAYG contracts, it looks like most
> nowadays expire after 30 days! WTF? Is this the new normal? Can
> you still get a PAYG contract that you don't have to use much?

The 'new normal' is a rolling monthly contract for a 'SIM only' deal.
Lots available on the mainland...
HTH

Chris
--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<kjhuutF615gU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17452&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17452

From: eddie@deguello.org (Eddie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 17:59:09 +0100
 by: Eddie - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 16:59 UTC

On 09/08/2023 17:40, chrisnd @ukrm wrote:

> The 'new normal' is a rolling monthly contract for a 'SIM only' deal.
> Lots available on the mainland...

What he said.

I'm on a SIM only plan from iD Mobile (part of Currys group, using
Three's network): unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, inclusive roaming
to 50 destinations.

£5 per month seems to be their cheapest deal currently; the monthly data
allowance goes up with the price.

--
Eddie eddie@deguello.org

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<XnsB05BBA31750Dwtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17453&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17453

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 17:18:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 17:18 UTC

Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote in

> I've had my the same mobile phone number since the early 1990s, and am
> loathe to let it go.
>
> But I'm in a different jurisdiction now, and should get something
> local (everyone here just dials 6 digits for local mobile or landline
> calls - no need for the prefix), and I always feel I have to apologise
> for "still being on a UK number" when I have to give my number to
> someone.
>
> I'm with Three at the mo, and old-fashioned SMSs have started to
> become flakey, and I can't get my voicemail from my handset (I can
> from literally any other phone on earth!), a problem Three have been
> continually unable to solve.
>
> So I'm thinking of getting a local contract, and using a dual-SIM
> handset (which I currently have), such that I have use my new local
> SIM most of the time, but my old heritage number is still live and in
> the other slot.
>
> But, when I started looking at PAYG contracts, it looks like most
> nowadays expire after 30 days! WTF? Is this the new normal? Can
> you still get a PAYG contract that you don't have to use much?

google "MSE SIM only deal" and have a look at the offers for the MVNO
operators (virtual networks piggy backing on the 4 operators)

I currently use a Lebara SIM which has free roaming in the EU but not
IoM. Rolling 30 day contract. 3GB a month is under a fiver. Lebara uses
the Vodafone network in the UK.

Lyca, Smarty, Giffgaff, Tesco & Asda are just some of the popular MVNOs

Some do not even need a physical SIM.

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<kji13cF2jtnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17454&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17454

From: siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 18:35:41 +0100
 by: siwilson - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 17:35 UTC

On 09/08/2023 17:25, Champ wrote:
> I've had my the same mobile phone number since the early 1990s, and am
> loathe to let it go.
>
> But I'm in a different jurisdiction now, and should get something
> local (everyone here just dials 6 digits for local mobile or landline
> calls - no need for the prefix), and I always feel I have to apologise
> for "still being on a UK number" when I have to give my number to
> someone.
>
> I'm with Three at the mo, and old-fashioned SMSs have started to
> become flakey, and I can't get my voicemail from my handset (I can
> from literally any other phone on earth!), a problem Three have been
> continually unable to solve.
>
> So I'm thinking of getting a local contract, and using a dual-SIM
> handset (which I currently have), such that I have use my new local
> SIM most of the time, but my old heritage number is still live and in
> the other slot.
>
> But, when I started looking at PAYG contracts, it looks like most
> nowadays expire after 30 days! WTF? Is this the new normal? Can
> you still get a PAYG contract that you don't have to use much?

3 forced me to take out a new contract which didn't have the feel at
home stuff. Grrr. When it's out of contract I'm going to move to Smarty
(MVNO that uses 3). That won't help you though if your 3 service is
dodgy for whatever reason. Smarty has the same/similar roaming deal as
the old 3 aiui. But yeah, the days of buying a SIM and not using/paying
anything for multiple years are long gone.

--
/Simon

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<ub24r0$acnt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17475&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17475

From: the.best.names.are.gone@gmail.com (Higgins)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 07:49:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Higgins - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 07:49 UTC

siwilson <siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/08/2023 17:25, Champ wrote:

> But yeah, the days of buying a SIM and not using/paying
> anything for multiple years are long gone.

We must be lucky then as we’ve been in France for over 3 years and both
PAYG SIMS, on 3, still work just fine and that’s been incoming texts only.

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<ub29sv$au4r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17477&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17477

From: bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 10:16:15 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 09:16 UTC

On 09/08/2023 17:25, Champ wrote:
> I've had my the same mobile phone number since the early 1990s, and am
> loathe to let it go.

I've had the same number since 2000 (when I joined Sun) and Jean has my
old number which dates back to 1996.

Recently we both moved from Vodafone to Smarty.
Monthly contract.
Just renews automatically.

Switch was smooth (from Smarty PoV) and number retained.
Roaming works a treat, we had no hassle during our 2 months+ in Europe.

They do have a "fair use abroad" cap at 12Gb. But we failed to exceed
our 8Gb monthly limit anyway.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<ub2a1n$avgg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17478&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17478

From: secret.sqirrel99@gmail.com (Sqirrel99)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 10:18:46 +0100
 by: Sqirrel99 - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 09:18 UTC

wessie wrote:
> I currently use a Lebara SIM which has free roaming in the EU but not
> IoM. Rolling 30 day contract. 3GB a month is under a fiver. Lebara uses
> the Vodafone network in the UK.

This is what I have - It's fine except that 'WiFi Calling' and VoLTE
don't work on Pixel phones (except those bought directly from Vodafone,
apparently).

Unfortunately, as Vodafone are currently switching off their 3G service
(due to complete by the end of 2023) Lebara-Pixel users will be left
with only the 2G network for calls (and SMS ?)

It has been like this forever and Google and Lebara both blame each
other, so it doesn't look like it will be fixed any time soon.

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<kjjpobFb6hcU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17480&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17480

From: siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 10:42:36 +0100
 by: siwilson - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 09:42 UTC

On 10/08/2023 08:49, Higgins wrote:
> siwilson <siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 09/08/2023 17:25, Champ wrote:
>

>> But yeah, the days of buying a SIM and not using/paying
>> anything for multiple years are long gone.
>>

> We must be lucky then as we’ve been in France for over 3 years and both
> PAYG SIMS, on 3, still work just fine and that’s been incoming texts only.

Interesting.

--
/Simon

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<ub2cg6$b6ts$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17481&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17481

From: crn@nospam.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 10:00:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: crn@nospam.com - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 10:00 UTC

Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:

> But, when I started looking at PAYG contracts, it looks like most
> nowadays expire after 30 days! WTF? Is this the new normal? Can
> you still get a PAYG contract that you don't have to use much?

Giffgaff.

--
http://www.netunix.com/

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<ub2cuu$bas6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17484&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17484

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 11:08:26 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 10:08 UTC

On 10/08/2023 10:18, Sqirrel99 wrote:
> wessie wrote:
>> I currently use a Lebara SIM which has free roaming in the EU but not
>> IoM. Rolling 30 day contract. 3GB a month is under a fiver. Lebara
>> uses the Vodafone network in the UK.
>
> This is what I have - It's fine except that 'WiFi Calling' and VoLTE
> don't work on Pixel phones (except those bought directly from Vodafone,
> apparently).
>
> Unfortunately, as Vodafone are currently switching off their 3G service
> (due to complete by the end of 2023) Lebara-Pixel users will be left
> with only the 2G network for calls (and SMS ?)
>
> It has been like this forever and Google and Lebara both blame each
> other, so it doesn't look like it will be fixed any time soon.

AFAIK my O2 phobile still rolls over so long as it's used once a year -
or have they knocked that on the head for existing ones too?

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<kjjsb4Fblq9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17485&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17485

From: sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 10 Aug 2023 10:26:50 GMT
 by: sweller - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 10:26 UTC

Sqirrel99 wrote:

> It's fine except that 'WiFi Calling' and VoLTE don't work on Pixel
> phones (except those bought directly from Vodafone, apparently).

Wifi calling works on my Pixel 5 (bought directly from Google) - I have
a Vodaphone contract though.

--
Simon

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<XnsB05C7483A80D7wtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17486&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17486

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 10:27:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 10:27 UTC

Sqirrel99 <secret.sqirrel99@gmail.com> wrote in news:ub2a1n$avgg$1@dont-
email.me:

> wessie wrote:
>> I currently use a Lebara SIM which has free roaming in the EU but not
>> IoM. Rolling 30 day contract. 3GB a month is under a fiver. Lebara uses
>> the Vodafone network in the UK.
>
> This is what I have - It's fine except that 'WiFi Calling' and VoLTE
> don't work on Pixel phones (except those bought directly from Vodafone,
> apparently).
>
> Unfortunately, as Vodafone are currently switching off their 3G service
> (due to complete by the end of 2023) Lebara-Pixel users will be left
> with only the 2G network for calls (and SMS ?)
>
> It has been like this forever and Google and Lebara both blame each
> other, so it doesn't look like it will be fixed any time soon.

same with Wifi calling on my Moto G31. Lebara claim wifi calling is
available on their network but not by default. "We will let you know when
it is available on your SIM."

Never been a problem in Cheltenham but the Voda signal is weak here in the
boondocks of Shropshire so wifi calling would be handy. I have to walk to
the kitchen to get an SMS OTP code for banking etc!

Hopefully moving soon to a house in a better area for Voda signal, 4G at
least. No 5G in Welshpool yet, not that the G31 has it.

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<ub2f6j$bjjk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17490&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17490

From: secret.sqirrel99@gmail.com (Sqirrel99)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 11:46:42 +0100
 by: Sqirrel99 - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 10:46 UTC

wessie wrote:
> Sqirrel99 <secret.sqirrel99@gmail.com> wrote in news:ub2a1n$avgg$1@dont-
> email.me:
>
>> wessie wrote:
>>> I currently use a Lebara SIM which has free roaming in the EU but not
>>> IoM. Rolling 30 day contract. 3GB a month is under a fiver. Lebara uses
>>> the Vodafone network in the UK.
>> This is what I have - It's fine except that 'WiFi Calling' and VoLTE
>> don't work on Pixel phones (except those bought directly from Vodafone,
>> apparently).
>>
>> Unfortunately, as Vodafone are currently switching off their 3G service
>> (due to complete by the end of 2023) Lebara-Pixel users will be left
>> with only the 2G network for calls (and SMS ?)
>>
>> It has been like this forever and Google and Lebara both blame each
>> other, so it doesn't look like it will be fixed any time soon.
>>

> same with Wifi calling on my Moto G31. Lebara claim wifi calling is
> available on their network but not by default. "We will let you know when
> it is available on your SIM."
>
> Never been a problem in Cheltenham but the Voda signal is weak here in the
> boondocks of Shropshire so wifi calling would be handy. I have to walk to
> the kitchen to get an SMS OTP code for banking etc!
>
> Hopefully moving soon to a house in a better area for Voda signal, 4G at
> least. No 5G in Welshpool yet, not that the G31 has it.

I had the 'WiFi calling is available' notification; Lebara claim to have
provisioned it and VoLTE for my SIM, but it doesn't work.

Having a good 4G signal won't help for calls (and SMS ?) if VoLTE isn't
working though.

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<XnsB05C825D83D42wtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17494&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17494

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 11:48:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 11:48 UTC

> wessie wrote:
>> Sqirrel99 <secret.sqirrel99@gmail.com> wrote in
>> news:ub2a1n$avgg$1@dont- email.me:

>>> This is what I have - It's fine except that 'WiFi Calling' and VoLTE
>>> don't work on Pixel phones (except those bought directly from
>>> Vodafone, apparently).
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, as Vodafone are currently switching off their 3G
>>> service (due to complete by the end of 2023) Lebara-Pixel users will
>>> be left with only the 2G network for calls (and SMS ?)
>>>
>>> It has been like this forever and Google and Lebara both blame each
>>> other, so it doesn't look like it will be fixed any time soon.
>>>

>> same with Wifi calling on my Moto G31. Lebara claim wifi calling is
>> available on their network but not by default. "We will let you know
>> when it is available on your SIM."
>>
>> Never been a problem in Cheltenham but the Voda signal is weak here
>> in the boondocks of Shropshire so wifi calling would be handy. I have
>> to walk to the kitchen to get an SMS OTP code for banking etc!
>>
>> Hopefully moving soon to a house in a better area for Voda signal, 4G
>> at least. No 5G in Welshpool yet, not that the G31 has it.
>
> I had the 'WiFi calling is available' notification; Lebara claim to
> have provisioned it and VoLTE for my SIM, but it doesn't work.
>
> Having a good 4G signal won't help for calls (and SMS ?) if VoLTE
> isn't working though.

mobile calls & SMS work fine, if there is an actual signal

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<6uk9dipjdecqs38g8s2ac9hcnk6rdo3gok@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17498&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17498

From: neal@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 13:13:10 +0100
 by: Champ - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 12:13 UTC

On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 10:00:40 -0000 (UTC), crn@nospam.com wrote:

>Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> But, when I started looking at PAYG contracts, it looks like most
>> nowadays expire after 30 days! WTF? Is this the new normal? Can
>> you still get a PAYG contract that you don't have to use much?

>Giffgaff.

Yes, looked at them straight away, as they have a rep for cheap and
cheerful.

But, like most of the others, they only do a 30 day PAYG i.e. you have
to pay something every month. I really want to be able to one or two
£10 top-ups a year!

Ironically, Three seem to still offer something like that - according
to their website, their PAYG SIM-only offering must be used every 180
days. I wonder if I can swap my regular contract with them to a PAYG.
More investigation required.
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<57dfqj-7m4.ln1@bilbo.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17504&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17504

From: news@millhouse-communications.co.uk (Boots)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 23:44:05 +0800
 by: Boots - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 15:44 UTC

On 10/08/2023 00:25 Champ penned these words:
> I've had my the same mobile phone number since the early 1990s, and am
> loathe to let it go.

Snip

> But, when I started looking at PAYG contracts, it looks like most
> nowadays expire after 30 days! WTF? Is this the new normal? Can
> you still get a PAYG contract that you don't have to use much?

I hang on to my giffgaff SIM for this reason. Officially you need to make a call
or send a SMS every 3 months. However, signing into the web account seems to
also reset the timer. I've held onto my number for ages and just buy a £10 goody
bag for the months I balik kampung.
--
Ian

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of
the last priest"

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<ub3en9$ftk6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17508&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17508

From: bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 20:44:41 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 19:44 UTC

On 10/08/2023 10:18, Sqirrel99 wrote:
> wessie wrote:
>> I currently use a Lebara SIM which has free roaming in the EU but not
>> IoM. Rolling 30 day contract. 3GB a month is under a fiver. Lebara
>> uses the Vodafone network in the UK.
>
> This is what I have - It's fine except that 'WiFi Calling' and VoLTE
> don't work on Pixel phones (except those bought directly from Vodafone,
> apparently).

Smarty + Pixel + wifi calling is fine

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<ub4pb7$p49m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17516&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17516

From: secret.sqirrel99@gmail.com (Sqirrel99)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 08:52:07 +0100
 by: Sqirrel99 - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 07:52 UTC

YTC#1 wrote:

> On 10/08/2023 10:18, Sqirrel99 wrote:
>> wessie wrote:
>>> I currently use a Lebara SIM which has free roaming in the EU but not
>>> IoM. Rolling 30 day contract. 3GB a month is under a fiver. Lebara
>>> uses the Vodafone network in the UK.
>> This is what I have - It's fine except that 'WiFi Calling' and VoLTE
>> don't work on Pixel phones (except those bought directly from Vodafone,
>> apparently).
>
> Smarty + Pixel + wifi calling is fine

Smarty look like they would be perfect if only they weren't a Three MVNO
- I find Three to be annoyingly patchy in coverage where I need it.

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<0uhcdih6j52gvel0eefk40suoivejqlp45@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17534&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17534

From: neal@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 15:38:08 +0100
 by: Champ - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 14:38 UTC

On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 23:44:05 +0800, Boots
<news@millhouse-communications.co.uk> wrote:

>I balik kampung

Sorry old man, don't understand your lingo
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<kjn72uFsb6uU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17538&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17538

From: siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 17:48:31 +0100
 by: siwilson - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 16:48 UTC

On 11/08/2023 15:38, Champ wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 23:44:05 +0800, Boots
> <news@millhouse-communications.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I balik kampung
>
> Sorry old man, don't understand your lingo

HE SAID: I BALIK KAMPUNG

--
/Simon

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<ub5std$ucjn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17540&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17540

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 18:59:09 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 17:59 UTC

On 11/08/2023 17:48, siwilson wrote:
> On 11/08/2023 15:38, Champ wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 23:44:05 +0800, Boots
>> <news@millhouse-communications.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I balik kampung
>>
>> Sorry old man, don't understand your lingo
>
> HE SAID: I BALIK KAMPUNG

A? Wossat you say? Eyeball what?

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<kjnlafFufuuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17545&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17545

From: news@loampitsfarm.co.uk (ajh)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 21:51:27 +0100
 by: ajh - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 20:51 UTC

On 10/08/2023 20:44, YTC#1 wrote:

> Smarty + Pixel + wifi calling is fine

How can one tell whether a call is via wifi or A MAST?

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<5vf*4GAnz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17546&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17546

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 11 Aug 2023 21:58:09 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 20:58 UTC

Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:
> But, when I started looking at PAYG contracts, it looks like most
> nowadays expire after 30 days! WTF? Is this the new normal? Can
> you still get a PAYG contract that you don't have to use much?

http://payg.pythonanywhere.com/
lists all the tariffs. The list has got massively shorter in recent years
as networks try to pressure people to making monthly payments.

1pmobile (EE network) is cheapest but you have to top up every 4 months,
although you keep the credit from the topups (eg could donate it to charity
via premium SMS, or something).

It looks like iD Mobile (Three network) has a 3p/call, 2p/SMS, 1p/MB tariff,
must make a chargeable call/SMS every 120 days.

Theo

Re: UK PAYG recommendation

<kjrmqrFk176U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17560&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17560

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 13 Aug 2023 09:41:47 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:41 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:
>> But, when I started looking at PAYG contracts, it looks like most
>> nowadays expire after 30 days! WTF? Is this the new normal? Can
>> you still get a PAYG contract that you don't have to use much?
>
> http://payg.pythonanywhere.com/
> lists all the tariffs. The list has got massively shorter in recent years
> as networks try to pressure people to making monthly payments.
>
> 1pmobile (EE network) is cheapest but you have to top up every 4 months,
> although you keep the credit from the topups (eg could donate it to charity
> via premium SMS, or something).

You can use the 1pMobile top-up credit to buy 30-day Boosts, for such
things as calls and data (various Boosts are available).

--
Spike