Well, you know, no matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai

aus+uk / uk.telecom / Calls abroad

SubjectAuthor
* Calls abroadBill Borland
+* Re: Calls abroadTim+
|+* Re: Calls abroadOttavio Caruso
||+- Re: Calls abroadThe Natural Philosopher
||`* Re: Calls abroadTim+
|| +* Re: Calls abroadSpike
|| |`* Re: Calls abroadDavid Wade
|| | `- Re: Calls abroadSpike
|| `* Re: Calls abroadOttavio Caruso
||  `- Re: Calls abroadSpike
|`* Re: Calls abroadAnthonyL
| +* Re: Calls abroadLiz Tuddenham
| |+- Re: Calls abroadWoody
| |`- Re: Calls abroadTheo
| `* Re: Calls abroadWoody
|  `* Re: Calls abroadTheo
|   +* Re: Calls abroadWoody
|   |`- Re: Calls abroadTheo
|   `* Re: Calls abroadJulian Macassey
|    +* Re: Calls abroadTheo
|    |+* Re: Calls abroadTim+
|    ||`* Re: Calls abroadTheo
|    || `- Re: Calls abroadJulian Macassey
|    |`- Re: Calls abroadJulian Macassey
|    `* Re: Calls abroadThe Natural Philosopher
|     `* Re: Calls abroadKen
|      `* Re: Calls abroadThe Natural Philosopher
|       +* Re: Calls abroadDavid Wade
|       |+* Re: Calls abroadBill Borland
|       ||+- Re: Calls abroadTweed
|       ||`- Re: Calls abroadTim+
|       |`- Re: Calls abroadJulian Macassey
|       +* Re: Calls abroadTheo
|       |+* Re: Calls abroadgrinch
|       ||+- Re: Calls abroadChris Green
|       ||+* Re: Calls abroadThe Natural Philosopher
|       |||+- Re: Calls abroadJulian Macassey
|       |||`* Re: Calls abroadgrinch
|       ||| `* Re: Calls abroadThe Natural Philosopher
|       |||  `* Re: Calls abroadgrinch
|       |||   `- Re: Calls abroadThe Natural Philosopher
|       ||`- Re: Calls abroadJulian Macassey
|       |`* Re: Calls abroadJulian Macassey
|       | +- Re: Calls abroadThe Natural Philosopher
|       | `* Re: Calls abroadOttavio Caruso
|       |  +* Re: Calls abroadRichmond
|       |  |`* Re: Calls abroadOttavio Caruso
|       |  | +- Re: Calls abroadRichmond
|       |  | `- Re: Calls abroadJulian Macassey
|       |  +* Re: Calls abroadThe Natural Philosopher
|       |  |`- Re: Calls abroadOttavio Caruso
|       |  `- Re: Calls abroadJulian Macassey
|       `* Re: Calls abroadJulian Macassey
|        `- Re: Calls abroadAnthonyL
+- Re: Calls abroadAndy Burns
+- Re: Calls abroadThe Natural Philosopher
+* Re: Calls abroadJulian Macassey
|+- Re: Calls abroadOttavio Caruso
|`* Re: Calls abroadThe Natural Philosopher
| `* Re: Calls abroadSpike
|  +- Re: Calls abroadTim+
|  `- Re: Calls abroadJulian Macassey
`- Re: Calls abroadRichmond

Pages:123
Calls abroad

<u5rxuKAOLvAmFw1q@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2573&group=uk.telecom#2573

From: bill.g3efs@gmail.com (Bill Borland)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Calls abroad
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:07:42 +0000
 by: Bill Borland - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:07 UTC

Help! I am living in an old persons' Home and have no living
relatives in this country. I would like to phone my daughter who lives
in New Zealand; the only local calls I ever make are very occasional
calls to doctor or hospital and occasional calls to one friend - all my
old friends are dead (I am 97 and have outlived them all). So what I am
looking for is the cheapest available calls to N.Z. Can anyone
recommend a suitable network?

Many thanks, and best regards.
--
Bill Borland
(G3EFS)

Re: Calls abroad

<448176935.733162559.154331.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2574&group=uk.telecom#2574

From: timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Re: Calls abroad
Date: 26 Mar 2024 16:17:48 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:17 UTC

Bill Borland <bill.g3efs@gmail.com> wrote:

> Help! I am living in an old persons' Home and have no living
> relatives in this country. I would like to phone my daughter who lives
> in New Zealand; the only local calls I ever make are very occasional
> calls to doctor or hospital and occasional calls to one friend - all my
> old friends are dead (I am 97 and have outlived them all). So what I am
> looking for is the cheapest available calls to N.Z. Can anyone
> recommend a suitable network?
>
> Many thanks, and best regards.

Cheapest/simplest way would be to make calls over a smart phone app like
WhatsApp, Signal, Messenger or similar. Effectively free if you have Wi-Fi
access and if you can persuade the recipient to install the same apps.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Calls abroad

<l6gbapFt959U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2575&group=uk.telecom#2575

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:27:01 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:27 UTC

Bill Borland wrote:

> I am living in an old persons' Home and have no living
> relatives in this country. I would like to phone my daughter who lives
> in New Zealand;

Do you have a landline or mobile? If so, who is the provider?

Re: Calls abroad

<utut72$1tr76$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2576&group=uk.telecom#2576

From: ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:30:26 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:30 UTC

Am 26/03/2024 um 16:17 schrieb Tim+:
> Bill Borland <bill.g3efs@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Help! I am living in an old persons' Home and have no living
>> relatives in this country. I would like to phone my daughter who lives
>> in New Zealand; the only local calls I ever make are very occasional
>> calls to doctor or hospital and occasional calls to one friend - all my
>> old friends are dead (I am 97 and have outlived them all). So what I am
>> looking for is the cheapest available calls to N.Z. Can anyone
>> recommend a suitable network?
>>
>> Many thanks, and best regards.
>
> Cheapest/simplest way would be to make calls over a smart phone app like
> WhatsApp, Signal, Messenger or similar. Effectively free if you have Wi-Fi
> access and if you can persuade the recipient to install the same apps.
>
> Tim

It is fair to assume the OP is probably not comfortable with wifi and
all that jazz.

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: Calls abroad

<utuuh0$1u41s$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2577&group=uk.telecom#2577

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:52:48 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:52 UTC

On 26/03/2024 16:07, Bill Borland wrote:

> Help! I am living in an old persons' Home and have no living
> relatives in this country. I would like to phone my daughter who lives
> in New Zealand; the only local calls I ever make are very occasional
> calls to doctor or hospital and occasional calls to one friend - all my
> old friends are dead (I am 97 and have outlived them all). So what I am
> looking for is the cheapest available calls to N.Z. Can anyone
> recommend a suitable network?

Mobile phone on PAYG, wifi via the Home, and use Whatsapp
All me family witter on it endlessly all over the world

For nowt, essentially

> Many thanks, and best regards.

--
“The fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

Re: Calls abroad

<utuuiv$1u41s$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2578&group=uk.telecom#2578

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:53:51 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:53 UTC

On 26/03/2024 16:30, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> Am 26/03/2024 um 16:17 schrieb Tim+:
>> Bill Borland <bill.g3efs@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>    Help!  I am living in an old persons' Home and have no living
>>> relatives in this country.  I would like to phone my daughter who lives
>>> in New Zealand; the only local calls I ever make are very occasional
>>> calls to doctor or hospital and occasional calls to one friend - all my
>>> old friends are dead (I am 97 and have outlived them all).  So what I am
>>> looking for is the cheapest available calls to N.Z.  Can anyone
>>> recommend a suitable network?
>>>
>>>    Many thanks, and best regards.
>>
>> Cheapest/simplest way would be to make calls over a smart phone app like
>> WhatsApp, Signal, Messenger or similar.  Effectively free if you have
>> Wi-Fi
>> access and if you can persuade the recipient to install the same apps.
>>
>> Tim
>>

> It is fair to assume the OP is probably not comfortable with wifi and
> all that jazz.

Doesnt have to be. If they are always in the same place someone will be
able to set it all up for them
It's pretty simple after that.

--
“The fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

Re: Calls abroad

<1284596516.733166573.379026.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2579&group=uk.telecom#2579

From: timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: 26 Mar 2024 17:24:00 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 17:24 UTC

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Am 26/03/2024 um 16:17 schrieb Tim+:
>> Bill Borland <bill.g3efs@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Help! I am living in an old persons' Home and have no living
>>> relatives in this country. I would like to phone my daughter who lives
>>> in New Zealand; the only local calls I ever make are very occasional
>>> calls to doctor or hospital and occasional calls to one friend - all my
>>> old friends are dead (I am 97 and have outlived them all). So what I am
>>> looking for is the cheapest available calls to N.Z. Can anyone
>>> recommend a suitable network?
>>>
>>> Many thanks, and best regards.
>>
>> Cheapest/simplest way would be to make calls over a smart phone app like
>> WhatsApp, Signal, Messenger or similar. Effectively free if you have Wi-Fi
>> access and if you can persuade the recipient to install the same apps.
>>
>> Tim
>>

> It is fair to assume the OP is probably not comfortable with wifi and
> all that jazz.

He’s negotiated his way to posting on USENET so I wouldn’t presume that he
can’t use a smart phone.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Calls abroad

<l6gngeF2ej8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2580&group=uk.telecom#2580

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: 26 Mar 2024 19:54:54 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 19:54 UTC

Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:
> Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Cheapest/simplest way would be to make calls over a smart phone app like
>>> WhatsApp, Signal, Messenger or similar. Effectively free if you have Wi-Fi
>>> access and if you can persuade the recipient to install the same apps.

>> It is fair to assume the OP is probably not comfortable with wifi and
>> all that jazz.

> He’s negotiated his way to posting on USENET so I wouldn’t presume that he
> can’t use a smart phone.

Quite. Bill is an original G3.

--
Spike

Re: Calls abroad

<slrnv07nc0.1fh6r.julian@n6are.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2581&group=uk.telecom#2581

From: julian@n6are.com (Julian Macassey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 08:49:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Julian Macassey - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 08:49 UTC

On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:07:42 +0000, Bill Borland <bill.g3efs@gmail.com> wrote:

> Help! I am living in an old persons' Home and have no living
> relatives in this country. I would like to phone my daughter who lives
> in New Zealand; the only local calls I ever make are very occasional
> calls to doctor or hospital and occasional calls to one friend - all my
> old friends are dead (I am 97 and have outlived them all). So what I am
> looking for is the cheapest available calls to N.Z. Can anyone
> recommend a suitable network?

My money is on Signal.

It's secure, it's reliable and it's free.

You can use text, voice or video.

I use it to talk to friends all over the world.

https://signal.org/download/

--
The NHS will last as long as there are folk left with faith to
fight for it. - Aneurin Bevan

Re: Calls abroad

<uu0ngp$2o9lo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2582&group=uk.telecom#2582

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 09:05:28 +0000
 by: David Wade - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 09:05 UTC

On 26/03/2024 19:54, Spike wrote:
> Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:
>> Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> It is fair to assume the OP is probably not comfortable with wifi and
>>> all that jazz.
>
>> He’s negotiated his way to posting on USENET so I wouldn’t presume that he
>> can’t use a smart phone.
>
> Quite. Bill is an original G3.

In that case any of the messenger products. We use Facebook Messenger,
Whatsapp, Skype and if there are only apple users Facetime to talk to
family in various parts of the world.

I suggest as all these allow video calls, provided his vision is good he
would be able to see and talk. So much nicer.

Dave
G4UGM

Re: Calls abroad

<uu0nsu$2odlk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2583&group=uk.telecom#2583

From: ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 09:11:57 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 09:11 UTC

Am 26/03/2024 um 17:24 schrieb Tim+:
> Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Cheapest/simplest way would be to make calls over a smart phone app like
>>> WhatsApp, Signal, Messenger or similar. Effectively free if you have Wi-Fi
>>> access and if you can persuade the recipient to install the same apps.
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>

>> It is fair to assume the OP is probably not comfortable with wifi and
>> all that jazz.
>>

> He’s negotiated his way to posting on USENET so I wouldn’t presume that he
> can’t use a smart phone.
>
> Tim

What if he setup his Usenet account 30+ years ago and then he might have
never touched a smart phone afterwards? I had my first smartphone only
in 2021 and only because it was the only way of communicating with my
then employer, when I had to record my breaks over an app.

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: Calls abroad

<uu0o8t$2odlk$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2584&group=uk.telecom#2584

From: ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 09:18:21 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 09:18 UTC

Am 27/03/2024 um 08:49 schrieb Julian Macassey:
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:07:42 +0000, Bill Borland <bill.g3efs@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Help! I am living in an old persons' Home and have no living
>> relatives in this country. I would like to phone my daughter who lives
>> in New Zealand; the only local calls I ever make are very occasional
>> calls to doctor or hospital and occasional calls to one friend - all my
>> old friends are dead (I am 97 and have outlived them all). So what I am
>> looking for is the cheapest available calls to N.Z. Can anyone
>> recommend a suitable network?
>
> My money is on Signal.
>
> It's secure, it's reliable and it's free.
>
> You can use text, voice or video.
>
> I use it to talk to friends all over the world.
>
> https://signal.org/download/

These Asian providers, like Lyca and Lebara, usually offer very cheap
services to NZ.

If the OP has landline, there are 3rd party numbers that one can call
and spend considerably less than their own provider. I used to do that
circa 1999/2000 calling Italy:

http://www.justcall.co.uk/cheap-calls-to-new-zealand

This was when we still had phone boxes and when calling from a phone box
was cheaper than calling from a landline. I remember doing 30+ minutes
calls to Italy for less than a full pound.

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: Calls abroad

<l6i7u9F9dt4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2585&group=uk.telecom#2585

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: 27 Mar 2024 09:41:29 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 09:41 UTC

David Wade <g4ugm@dave.invalid> wrote:
> On 26/03/2024 19:54, Spike wrote:
>> Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:

>>> He’s negotiated his way to posting on USENET so I wouldn’t presume that he
>>> can’t use a smart phone.
>>
>> Quite. Bill is an original G3.
>>
> In that case any of the messenger products. We use Facebook Messenger,
> Whatsapp, Skype and if there are only apple users Facetime to talk to
> family in various parts of the world.
>
> I suggest as all these allow video calls, provided his vision is good he
> would be able to see and talk. So much nicer.
>
> Dave
> G4UGM

I’ve just been reading some independent reviews of Signal, and they pretty
much suggest avoiding using WhatsApp, Telegram, and the other popular ones,
mostly on the grounds of collecting your data and monetising it.
Uncheckable encryption code and cloud storage doesn’t help. Signal has none
of these issues.

There are many reviews of Signal, of which this is but one:

<https://uk.pcmag.com/security/47451/signal-private-messenger>

You do need a phone number to register, even if you use the app on a
different device (most seem to be covered, even Linux). Very little of your
data is stored, and none of it monetised.

Good luck to Bill in getting this sorted.

--
Spike

Re: Calls abroad

<l6i8goF9gcvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2586&group=uk.telecom#2586

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: 27 Mar 2024 09:51:20 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 09:51 UTC

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Am 26/03/2024 um 17:24 schrieb Tim+:
>> Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> It is fair to assume the OP is probably not comfortable with wifi and
>>> all that jazz.
>>>

>> He’s negotiated his way to posting on USENET so I wouldn’t presume that he
>> can’t use a smart phone.
>>
>> Tim

> What if he setup his Usenet account 30+ years ago and then he might have
> never touched a smart phone afterwards? I had my first smartphone only
> in 2021 and only because it was the only way of communicating with my
> then employer, when I had to record my breaks over an app.

Here’s a part of a conversation about old radios, from 2015. I wouldn’t
write Bill off just yet:

“When I first started building radio's back in the 60's, top band was a
favourite of mine because it was relatively easy to re-tune a MW receiver
to receive it. It was popular on Sunday mornings and I remember one
particular amateur, Bill, (G3EFS) who was fairly local and had a very
strong signal. Very knowledgeable and willing to advise others.”

Now he needs our help. Unfortunately I’m 200 miles away so can’t do it in
person.

--
Spike

Re: Calls abroad

<66041105.487758375@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2587&group=uk.telecom#2587

From: nospam@please.invalid (AnthonyL)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 12:38:33 GMT
 by: AnthonyL - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 12:38 UTC

On 26 Mar 2024 16:17:48 GMT, Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:

>Bill Borland <bill.g3efs@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Help! I am living in an old persons' Home and have no living
>> relatives in this country. I would like to phone my daughter who lives
>> in New Zealand; the only local calls I ever make are very occasional
>> calls to doctor or hospital and occasional calls to one friend - all my
>> old friends are dead (I am 97 and have outlived them all). So what I am
>> looking for is the cheapest available calls to N.Z. Can anyone
>> recommend a suitable network?
>>
>> Many thanks, and best regards.
>
>Cheapest/simplest way would be to make calls over a smart phone app like
>WhatsApp, Signal, Messenger or similar. Effectively free if you have Wi-Fi
>access and if you can persuade the recipient to install the same apps.

If you have a normal BT landline then sign up to 1899.com
NZ is 3p/min plus 5p (I think) connection charge. You then need to
prefix (or store) their numbers with 1899 in front. You will be
debited about every 2 months.

The same prefix can be used for local calls which is also very handy
when having to wait a long time to get through to someone.

If you are able to use a smartphone, or get someone to set one up for
you then as others have said get on to WhatsApp then:

either attach yourself to a WiFi if available

or

buy a SIM. I've just got one from spusu.com, and for �2.90/month (no
contract) I have unlimited calls, texts (useful for your UK calls) and
1Gb data which will be more than ample for voice calls and enough for
some video calls on WhatsApp. But have someone check that you have
good EE network signal and if not go for one of the many other cheap
alternatives. Come back here and ask.

As Tim says if you are using WhatsApp or similar then the other end
needs to as well. There are also alternatives to WhatsApp for
instance Signal which is handy for support from spusu.

Good luck

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Re: Calls abroad

<uu15b3$2rdhi$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2588&group=uk.telecom#2588

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 13:01:23 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 13:01 UTC

On 27/03/2024 08:49, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:07:42 +0000, Bill Borland <bill.g3efs@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Help! I am living in an old persons' Home and have no living
>> relatives in this country. I would like to phone my daughter who lives
>> in New Zealand; the only local calls I ever make are very occasional
>> calls to doctor or hospital and occasional calls to one friend - all my
>> old friends are dead (I am 97 and have outlived them all). So what I am
>> looking for is the cheapest available calls to N.Z. Can anyone
>> recommend a suitable network?
>
> My money is on Signal.
>
> It's secure, it's reliable and it's free.
>
> You can use text, voice or video.
>
> I use it to talk to friends all over the world.
>
> https://signal.org/download/

Looks like whatsapp, but with different people stealing your data...

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Re: Calls abroad

<1qr2yuj.1pljgyd1tebbs2N%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2589&group=uk.telecom#2589

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 13:32:39 +0000
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 13:32 UTC

AnthonyL <nospam@please.invalid> wrote:

> On 26 Mar 2024 16:17:48 GMT, Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:
>
> >Bill Borland <bill.g3efs@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Help! I am living in an old persons' Home and have no living
> >> relatives in this country. I would like to phone my daughter who lives
> >> in New Zealand; the only local calls I ever make are very occasional
> >> calls to doctor or hospital and occasional calls to one friend - all my
> >> old friends are dead (I am 97 and have outlived them all). So what I am
> >> looking for is the cheapest available calls to N.Z. Can anyone
> >> recommend a suitable network?
> >>
> >> Many thanks, and best regards.
> >
> >Cheapest/simplest way would be to make calls over a smart phone app like
> >WhatsApp, Signal, Messenger or similar. Effectively free if you have Wi-Fi
> >access and if you can persuade the recipient to install the same apps.
> >

> If you have a normal BT landline then sign up to 1899.com
> NZ is 3p/min plus 5p (I think) connection charge. You then need to
> prefix (or store) their numbers with 1899 in front. You will be
> debited about every 2 months.
>
> The same prefix can be used for local calls which is also very handy
> when having to wait a long time to get through to someone.

There is a similar service called 18866 which I have used for years to
cut my 'phone bills. It used to be run by Swiss Telecom (perhaps it
still is) and the billing is monthly by Direct Debit.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Calls abroad

<l6in6gFbkl4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2590&group=uk.telecom#2590

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: 27 Mar 2024 14:01:53 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 14:01 UTC

The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 27/03/2024 08:49, Julian Macassey wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:07:42 +0000, Bill Borland <bill.g3efs@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Help! I am living in an old persons' Home and have no living
>>> relatives in this country. I would like to phone my daughter who lives
>>> in New Zealand; the only local calls I ever make are very occasional
>>> calls to doctor or hospital and occasional calls to one friend - all my
>>> old friends are dead (I am 97 and have outlived them all). So what I am
>>> looking for is the cheapest available calls to N.Z. Can anyone
>>> recommend a suitable network?
>>
>> My money is on Signal.
>>
>> It's secure, it's reliable and it's free.
>>
>> You can use text, voice or video.
>>
>> I use it to talk to friends all over the world.
>>
>> https://signal.org/download/
>>

> Looks like whatsapp, but with different people stealing your data...

QUOTE “First, [Signal is] end-to-end encrypted (E2EE) by default. That
means only you and your recipient(s) on Signal can read your messages.
[Even] the creators of Signal cannot peek inside your conversations. While
other services like Facebook Messenger and Telegram include an E2EE option,
Signal is one of the very few to make it mandatory. Bear in mind that
Signal is built for privacy, not anonymity. In fact, its main concern is
ensuring that you're speaking securely with only the people you intend, not
hiding your identity.

Second, Signal has no incentive to sell your data. It's a 501(c)(3)
non-profit organization registered in the US. Companies are keen to grab
your data so they can target you for ads or simply sell that information to
someone else. That's just not Signal's model. WhatsApp is also free, but it
sits atop of Meta's data mining empire. Telegram is still trying to figure
out its monetization” ENDQUOTE [from a review]

Signal is funded through grants and donations.

--
Spike

Re: Calls abroad

<uu1a10$2su1u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2591&group=uk.telecom#2591

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 14:21:18 +0000
 by: Woody - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 14:21 UTC

Another option for Bill (I remember his name (ISTR) from packet radio
days?) is to open a VoIP account with such as voipcheap.co.uk, use a
soft phone or a VoIP app on your smartphone, and use that app to dial NZ
- which with voipcheap is FREE!!

There are quite a number of VoIP providers such as Sipgate or First
Europe (formerly known as Sipdroid) who also provide a VoIP service at
low or zero cost. If Bill has the patience he can get a VoIP adapter
(known as an ATA or analogue telephone adapter) and programme it up to
work with whichever VoIP SP he has chosen. Then it is simply a case of
plugging in a conventional phone and dialling the number which can be a
landline or mobile albeit at a small unit cost. Such ATAs come from the
likes of Grandstream or a Cisco Linksys PAP2T. An alternative is to buy
a SIPphone which will do it all for you.

Re: Calls abroad

<uu1a6f$2su1u$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2592&group=uk.telecom#2592

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 14:24:13 +0000
 by: Woody - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 14:24 UTC

On Wed 27/03/2024 13:32, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
> AnthonyL <nospam@please.invalid> wrote:

>>> Cheapest/simplest way would be to make calls over a smart phone app like
>>> WhatsApp, Signal, Messenger or similar. Effectively free if you have Wi-Fi
>>> access and if you can persuade the recipient to install the same apps.
>>>

>> If you have a normal BT landline then sign up to 1899.com
>> NZ is 3p/min plus 5p (I think) connection charge. You then need to
>> prefix (or store) their numbers with 1899 in front. You will be
>> debited about every 2 months.
>>
>> The same prefix can be used for local calls which is also very handy
>> when having to wait a long time to get through to someone.
>
> There is a similar service called 18866 which I have used for years to
> cut my 'phone bills. It used to be run by Swiss Telecom (perhaps it
> still is) and the billing is monthly by Direct Debit.

and 18185.co.uk

Re: Calls abroad

<PZq*AUqGz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2593&group=uk.telecom#2593

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: 27 Mar 2024 14:34:17 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 14:34 UTC

Liz Tuddenham <liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote:
> AnthonyL <nospam@please.invalid> wrote:

> > >Cheapest/simplest way would be to make calls over a smart phone app like
> > >WhatsApp, Signal, Messenger or similar. Effectively free if you have Wi-Fi
> > >access and if you can persuade the recipient to install the same apps.
> > >

> > If you have a normal BT landline then sign up to 1899.com
> > NZ is 3p/min plus 5p (I think) connection charge. You then need to
> > prefix (or store) their numbers with 1899 in front. You will be
> > debited about every 2 months.
> >
> > The same prefix can be used for local calls which is also very handy
> > when having to wait a long time to get through to someone.
>
> There is a similar service called 18866 which I have used for years to
> cut my 'phone bills. It used to be run by Swiss Telecom (perhaps it
> still is) and the billing is monthly by Direct Debit.

It's part of an empire of anonymous interconnected companies that variously
go by the names of Finarea, Betamax and Dellmont and operate out of
Switzerland and the Netherlands. Nothing to do with Swiss Telecom.

18185 is the newest of the three and used to be cheapest:
https://www.18185.co.uk/
https://www.1899.com/
https://www.call18866.co.uk/

Currently NZ landline is 3p/min at all of them, mobile is 12p/min at 18185
and 15p/min at the others.

However the prefixes only work if you have an analogue line from BT, and not
from anybody else. There are alternative access numbers to use from other
providers (including BT digital voice), but they used to have a higher rate
(although I haven't checked lately).

That said, if you can put up with the prices, don't have a smart phone, and
don't want anything too complicated, then they may be a useful option.

Theo

Re: Calls abroad

<OZq*F3qGz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2594&group=uk.telecom#2594

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: 27 Mar 2024 15:13:00 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 15:13 UTC

Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Another option for Bill (I remember his name (ISTR) from packet radio
> days?) is to open a VoIP account with such as voipcheap.co.uk, use a
> soft phone or a VoIP app on your smartphone, and use that app to dial NZ
> - which with voipcheap is FREE!!

It's not free, it's 0.7p/min to a NZ landline and 21p/min to a NZ mobile.
(another reason why 'let's all just use mobiles' isn't such a great idea).

They have a 'freedays' promotion where certain destinations are free if you
have topped up in the last 90 days, but it seems NZ isn't one of those.

Another Finarea/Betamax/Dellmont clone service may offer 'freedays' to NZ,
but given the price of mobile calls it's likely to be NZ landlines only.

> There are quite a number of VoIP providers such as Sipgate or First
> Europe (formerly known as Sipdroid) who also provide a VoIP service at
> low or zero cost. If Bill has the patience he can get a VoIP adapter
> (known as an ATA or analogue telephone adapter) and programme it up to
> work with whichever VoIP SP he has chosen. Then it is simply a case of
> plugging in a conventional phone and dialling the number which can be a
> landline or mobile albeit at a small unit cost. Such ATAs come from the
> likes of Grandstream or a Cisco Linksys PAP2T. An alternative is to buy
> a SIPphone which will do it all for you.

Finarea/Betamax/Delmmont also have an Android/iOS app called MobileVOIP,
which works with any of their clone services, and is handy for use without
VOIP hardware since it also tells you your balance and allows you to topup
in the app.

Theo

Re: Calls abroad

<uu1e56$2tsq8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2595&group=uk.telecom#2595

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 15:31:48 +0000
 by: Woody - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 15:31 UTC

On Wed 27/03/2024 15:13, Theo wrote:
> Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> Another option for Bill (I remember his name (ISTR) from packet radio
>> days?) is to open a VoIP account with such as voipcheap.co.uk, use a
>> soft phone or a VoIP app on your smartphone, and use that app to dial NZ
>> - which with voipcheap is FREE!!
>
> It's not free, it's 0.7p/min to a NZ landline and 21p/min to a NZ mobile.
> (another reason why 'let's all just use mobiles' isn't such a great idea).
>
> They have a 'freedays' promotion where certain destinations are free if you
> have topped up in the last 90 days, but it seems NZ isn't one of those.
>
> Another Finarea/Betamax/Dellmont clone service may offer 'freedays' to NZ,
> but given the price of mobile calls it's likely to be NZ landlines only.
>
>> There are quite a number of VoIP providers such as Sipgate or First
>> Europe (formerly known as Sipdroid) who also provide a VoIP service at
>> low or zero cost. If Bill has the patience he can get a VoIP adapter
>> (known as an ATA or analogue telephone adapter) and programme it up to
>> work with whichever VoIP SP he has chosen. Then it is simply a case of
>> plugging in a conventional phone and dialling the number which can be a
>> landline or mobile albeit at a small unit cost. Such ATAs come from the
>> likes of Grandstream or a Cisco Linksys PAP2T. An alternative is to buy
>> a SIPphone which will do it all for you.
>
> Finarea/Betamax/Delmmont also have an Android/iOS app called MobileVOIP,
> which works with any of their clone services, and is handy for use without
> VOIP hardware since it also tells you your balance and allows you to topup
> in the app.

Interesting Theo given that the table on this page
(https://www.voipcheap.com/dashboard)
shows NZ calls as free?

Re: Calls abroad

<OZq*ghrGz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2596&group=uk.telecom#2596

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: 27 Mar 2024 16:19:36 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 16:19 UTC

Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Wed 27/03/2024 15:13, Theo wrote:
> > Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >> Another option for Bill (I remember his name (ISTR) from packet radio
> >> days?) is to open a VoIP account with such as voipcheap.co.uk, use a
> >> soft phone or a VoIP app on your smartphone, and use that app to dial NZ
> >> - which with voipcheap is FREE!!
> >
> > It's not free, it's 0.7p/min to a NZ landline and 21p/min to a NZ mobile.
> > (another reason why 'let's all just use mobiles' isn't such a great idea).
> >
> > They have a 'freedays' promotion where certain destinations are free if you
> > have topped up in the last 90 days, but it seems NZ isn't one of those.
> >
> > Another Finarea/Betamax/Dellmont clone service may offer 'freedays' to NZ,
> > but given the price of mobile calls it's likely to be NZ landlines only.
> >
> >> There are quite a number of VoIP providers such as Sipgate or First
> >> Europe (formerly known as Sipdroid) who also provide a VoIP service at
> >> low or zero cost. If Bill has the patience he can get a VoIP adapter
> >> (known as an ATA or analogue telephone adapter) and programme it up to
> >> work with whichever VoIP SP he has chosen. Then it is simply a case of
> >> plugging in a conventional phone and dialling the number which can be a
> >> landline or mobile albeit at a small unit cost. Such ATAs come from the
> >> likes of Grandstream or a Cisco Linksys PAP2T. An alternative is to buy
> >> a SIPphone which will do it all for you.
> >
> > Finarea/Betamax/Delmmont also have an Android/iOS app called MobileVOIP,
> > which works with any of their clone services, and is handy for use without
> > VOIP hardware since it also tells you your balance and allows you to topup
> > in the app.
> >

> Interesting Theo given that the table on this page
> (https://www.voipcheap.com/dashboard)
> shows NZ calls as free?

voipcheap.com != voipcheap.co.uk

They're both one of a hundred different Finarea/Betamax/Dellmont brands.
You open an account at one brand and topups only work for that brand. They
business model is that they lure you in to a brand with cheap rates then,
once they have your topup, the rates change. They have Ryanair-style
dynamic pricing so the rates (which are the same for everyone at a given
brand) change from day to day.

(If anyone cares, there are price comparison sites showing the best rates
for destinations across all the brands and will email you pricing updates)

Theo

Re: Calls abroad

<796839836.733260703.702219.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2597&group=uk.telecom#2597

From: timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: 27 Mar 2024 19:33:17 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 19:33 UTC

Spike <aero.spike@mail.com> wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> My money is on Signal.
>>>
>>> It's secure, it's reliable and it's free.
>>>
>>> You can use text, voice or video.
>>>
>>> I use it to talk to friends all over the world.
>>>
>>> https://signal.org/download/
>>>

>> Looks like whatsapp, but with different people stealing your data...
>
> QUOTE “First, [Signal is] end-to-end encrypted (E2EE) by default. That
> means only you and your recipient(s) on Signal can read your messages.
> [Even] the creators of Signal cannot peek inside your conversations. While
> other services like Facebook Messenger and Telegram include an E2EE option,
> Signal is one of the very few to make it mandatory. Bear in mind that
> Signal is built for privacy, not anonymity. In fact, its main concern is
> ensuring that you're speaking securely with only the people you intend, not
> hiding your identity.
>
> Second, Signal has no incentive to sell your data. It's a 501(c)(3)
> non-profit organization registered in the US. Companies are keen to grab
> your data so they can target you for ads or simply sell that information to
> someone else. That's just not Signal's model. WhatsApp is also free, but it
> sits atop of Meta's data mining empire. Telegram is still trying to figure
> out its monetization” ENDQUOTE [from a review]
>
> Signal is funded through grants and donations.

Soldiers are allowed to use Signal, but not WhatsApp.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls