If a train station is a place where a train stops, what's a workstation?

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Freely

SubjectAuthor
* FreelyTweed
+* Re: FreelyRoderick Stewart
+- Re: FreelyAndy Burns
`- Re: FreelyBrian Gaff

Pages:123
Re: Freely

<sj5ogilbqpbccs1g6h5u8eo1h7795jfd4p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42013&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42013

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Freely
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 11:31:46 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 10:31 UTC

On Thu, 21 Sep 23 09:30:03 UTC, Jim Lesurf <noise@audiomisc.co.uk>
wrote:

>In article <uf0lgiht4qu1ffb3s51e7thq8fndjm54li@4ax.com>, Roderick Stewart
><rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> If they are planning to include new material that cannot be seen by
>> simply waiting until it appears on one of the catchup services (which
>> with the exception of BBC iPlayer do not require a TV licence) then it
>> will have to be something really good to stand any chance of competing
>> with what every other internet streaming service is already doing.
>
>It will be convenient from my POV if it will be possible to use openly
>available software to watch it via a computer. Particularly if it can be
>recorded and inc decent HD. That would certainly justy the Licence for me.
>However I guess they will be determined to prevent this.
>
>Jim

I can't think of any justification for a licence paid to one
broadcaster for the right to watch other broadcasters' programmes.
Thankfully a licence is not required to watch them on internet catchup
services. It's only required in order to watch the BBC's own internet
catchup service, which effectively makes it the most expensive
streaming subscription of the lot, so the best one to ditch first for
anyone who is trying to economise.

The BBC could survive by fair and honest means if it wants to, earning
its living by the quality of what it offers, like all the others, but
it won't survive if it tries to live in the past. Assuming that it
will always be given a fixed income regardless of what it does,
because it is somehow 'special', is a bit like a teenager relying on a
parental allowance without any awareness of how the real world
functions. It'll be interesting to see what happens in 2027 when the
charter runs out. My guess is that the BBC probably won't change until
change is forced upon it. Nothing clarifies your mind like the need to
earn your own living to pay the bills.

Rod.

Re: Freely

<uehchn$3gup1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42016&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42016

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 13:22:15 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 12:22 UTC

On 20/09/2023 19:18, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 20/09/2023 in message <uef5i1$30ijv$1@dont-email.me> Jeff Layman wrote:
>
>> This is an area I know nothing about. Where does the HDMI signal come from
>> and where is it supposed to go to? Where and how do I save it as an MP4
>> file? My Panasonic TV's HDMI ports are for input only (other than ARC). My
>> Panasonic PVR's HDMI port is for output only. Do I assume that I get
>> iPlayer on my laptop and use its HDMI output to feed the TV? Am I supposed
>> to use something like VLC to view the iPlayer stream and convert it to an
>> MP4 file?
>
> You take the HDMI output from the PVR, feed it into a splitter then the
> Capture box which you hang a hard drive or SSD off. I made myself a
> diagram because I always end up holding all the bits in my hands and not
> knowing what to connect where. I put it on Dropbox:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/rq5t5s2g2a4ox0qwke6rg/Video-Capture.png?rlkey=ykdhnbzltvld9u3kbm09pg281&dl=0

So the purpose here is to take the HDMI output and eventually convert it
to a *.MP4 file, which can then be stored or edited?

--

Jeff

Re: Freely

<xn0o73rdx1grm8y004@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42017&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42017

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 21 Sep 2023 13:35:11 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 13:35 UTC

On 21/09/2023 in message <uehchn$3gup1$1@dont-email.me> Jeff Layman wrote:

>On 20/09/2023 19:18, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>On 20/09/2023 in message <uef5i1$30ijv$1@dont-email.me> Jeff Layman wrote:
>>
>>>This is an area I know nothing about. Where does the HDMI signal come
>>>from
>>>and where is it supposed to go to? Where and how do I save it as an MP4
>>>file? My Panasonic TV's HDMI ports are for input only (other than ARC).
>>>My
>>>Panasonic PVR's HDMI port is for output only. Do I assume that I get
>>>iPlayer on my laptop and use its HDMI output to feed the TV? Am I
>>>supposed
>>>to use something like VLC to view the iPlayer stream and convert it to an
>>>MP4 file?
>>
>>You take the HDMI output from the PVR, feed it into a splitter then the
>>Capture box which you hang a hard drive or SSD off. I made myself a
>>diagram because I always end up holding all the bits in my hands and not
>>knowing what to connect where. I put it on Dropbox:
>>
>>https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/rq5t5s2g2a4ox0qwke6rg/Video-Capture.png?rlkey=ykdhnbzltvld9u3kbm09pg281&dl=0
>
>So the purpose here is to take the HDMI output and eventually convert it
>to a *.MP4 file, which can then be stored or edited?

Indeed!

Useful for making an MP4 from a DVD so it can go on the DLNA media server.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I take full responsibility for what happened - that is why the person that

Re: Freely

<uehuv1$3kkv1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42021&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42021

From: i.love@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 18:36:31 +0100
 by: SH - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 17:36 UTC

On 20/09/2023 10:39, JMB99 wrote:
> On 20/09/2023 09:16, SH wrote:
>>
>> and since many radio stations are also broadcast on Freeview &
>> Freesat, and presumably will also appear on Freely, How much time left
>> do the FM and DAB transmitters have?
>

> And that is the (n x 100)th time that has been predicted.
>
> I can remember many years ago when most people only had a dial-up
> connections, there were people posting that we could close down all
> terrestrial broadcasting!

https://retra.co.uk/news/timeline-of-changes-to-freeview-and-satellite-tv

S.

Re: Freely

<kn3ei4Fd5qmU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42022&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42022

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 18:58:28 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 17:58 UTC

SH wrote:

> https://retra.co.uk/news/timeline-of-changes-to-freeview-and-satellite-tv

Ah so they're shutting freeview before the Y2K34 bug kicks in?
</twilight-zone-music>

Re: Freely

<5ae780dfbcbob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42024&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42024

From: bob@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 19:39:54 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 18:39 UTC

In article <sj5ogilbqpbccs1g6h5u8eo1h7795jfd4p@4ax.com>,
Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> I can't think of any justification for a licence paid to one
> broadcaster for the right to watch other broadcasters' programmes.

Indeed. It's not too dissimilar to a protection racket, you have a
demand for money (with menaces) from a third party which you have to
pay you can go about your chosen business.

Not satisfied with that, they then use the money they've extorted
from you to pump you with propaganda.

Bob.

Re: Freely

<uei36i$3lc18$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42025&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42025

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 19:48:49 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 18:48 UTC

On 21/09/2023 19:39, Bob Latham wrote:
> In article <sj5ogilbqpbccs1g6h5u8eo1h7795jfd4p@4ax.com>,
> Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I can't think of any justification for a licence paid to one
>> broadcaster for the right to watch other broadcasters' programmes.
>
> Indeed. It's not too dissimilar to a protection racket, you have a
> demand for money (with menaces) from a third party which you have to
> pay you can go about your chosen business.
>
> Not satisfied with that, they then use the money they've extorted
> from you to pump you with propaganda.

TRANSLATION: "propaganda" = "news that doesn't support my bigoted
right-wing view of the world"

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Freely

<ueia97$dgf0$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42029&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42029

From: wilf21@is.invalid (Wilf)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 21:49:43 +0100
 by: Wilf - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 20:49 UTC

On 21/09/2023 at 19:48, Java Jive wrote:
> On 21/09/2023 19:39, Bob Latham wrote:
>> In article <sj5ogilbqpbccs1g6h5u8eo1h7795jfd4p@4ax.com>,
>> Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I can't think of any justification for a licence paid to one
>>> broadcaster for the right to watch other broadcasters' programmes.
>>
>> Indeed. It's not too dissimilar to a protection racket, you have a
>> demand for money (with menaces) from a third party which you have to
>> pay you can go about your chosen business.
>>
>> Not satisfied with that, they then use the money they've extorted
>> from you to pump you with propaganda.
>
> TRANSLATION: "propaganda" = "news that doesn't support my bigoted
> right-wing view of the world"

Spot on.

--
Wilf

Re: Freely

<uejd6l$2gqi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42030&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42030

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 07:45:41 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 06:45 UTC

On 21/09/2023 19:48, Java Jive wrote:
> TRANSLATION:  "propaganda" = "news that doesn't support my bigoted
> right-wing view of the world"

Don't forget the LEFT can be just as bigoted and perhaps are more
bigoted as can be seen from the way they call anyone who disagrees with
them 'far right'.

Re: Freely

<5ae7501609noise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42032&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42032

From: noise@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 23 09:08:03 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
 by: Jim Lesurf - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 09:08 UTC

In article <xn0o72e8m38n1s000@news.individual.net>, Jeff Gaines
<jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:

> Intercept the HDMI connection with an iSolem video splitter and Globmall
> HD Game Capture Box:

> https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006KZBC92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

> https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074Z3K8C1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

> Save it as an MP4 and you have it for keeps.

I just use a DVB-T2 usb dongle and the magic 'record' icon of VLC for
non-BBC items. Result is file with the relevant streams transcribed into
it. Can then trim/process if needed with ffmpeg or handbrake (or even VLC).

If someone wants to keep an every growing set of recordings then its worth
noting that these days you can get, say, 8TB SSDs in a USB caddy.

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: Freely

<uejpkr$4qcd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42033&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42033

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 11:18:02 +0100
 by: Woody - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 10:18 UTC

On Fri 22/09/2023 10:08, Jim Lesurf wrote:
> In article <xn0o72e8m38n1s000@news.individual.net>, Jeff Gaines
> <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> Intercept the HDMI connection with an iSolem video splitter and Globmall
>> HD Game Capture Box:
>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006KZBC92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074Z3K8C1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>
>> Save it as an MP4 and you have it for keeps.
>
> I just use a DVB-T2 usb dongle and the magic 'record' icon of VLC for
> non-BBC items. Result is file with the relevant streams transcribed into
> it. Can then trim/process if needed with ffmpeg or handbrake (or even VLC).
>
> If someone wants to keep an every growing set of recordings then its worth
> noting that these days you can get, say, 8TB SSDs in a USB caddy.
>
> Jim

....but it needs to be USB3 or higher - unless you've got from now until
the end of the century to transfer it!

Re: Freely

<uejsro$6181$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42126&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42126

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 12:12:55 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 11:12 UTC

On 22/09/2023 07:45, JMB99 wrote:

> On 21/09/2023 19:48, Java Jive wrote:
>>
>> TRANSLATION:  "propaganda" = "news that doesn't support my bigoted
>> right-wing view of the world"
>
> Don't forget the LEFT can be just as bigoted and perhaps are more
> bigoted as can be seen from the way they call anyone who disagrees with
> them 'far right'.

The left/far left can certainly be bigoted, but, AFAIAA, there's few to
none of them here, or if they are here, they don't feel a need to preach
their politics on every possible occasion.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Freely

<5ae806fc96bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42127&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42127

From: bob@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 20:04:46 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 19:04 UTC

In article <ueia97$dgf0$1@solani.org>,
Wilf <wilf21@is.invalid> wrote:
> On 21/09/2023 at 19:48, Java Jive wrote:
> > On 21/09/2023 19:39, Bob Latham wrote:

> >> Indeed. It's not too dissimilar to a protection racket, you have a
> >> demand for money (with menaces) from a third party which you have to
> >> pay you can go about your chosen business.
> >>
> >> Not satisfied with that, they then use the money they've extorted
> >> from you to pump you with propaganda.
> >
> > TRANSLATION: "propaganda" = "news that doesn't support my bigoted
> > right-wing view of the world"
> >

> Spot on.

In this age of unreason, anyone who tells the truth instead of going
along with the Emperor's new clothes ideologies is now far right.

Here's a short clip from a Melanie Phillips interview. She really is
"spot on", and says it far better than I.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6GRVUCd3g

Anyone who doesn't agree with the new "educated people" ideologies
and can see them for what they are, has to be insulted and shut down
by the "be nice" hypocritical left always keen to make the personal
attack.

BBC & MSM doesn't support the truth but does support an agenda.

Propaganda.
Not taking the vaccine will mean you can kill granny, you must have
the vaccine or lose your job and not be allowed anywhere public.

Propaganda.
The vaccine is safe and effective.

Propaganda.
Wearing a mask reduces the spread of the virus.

Propaganda.
Some women have a penis.

Propaganda.
Clips of 'Horrible Histories' programme they push at kids claims
Britain's history was full of great Black people?
There were very, very few black or brown people in the UK before the
1960s. I know, I was here.

Propaganda.
The earth is "boiling" and it's your fault.

Propaganda.
Destroying everyone's freedom of movement and speech, netzero, not
eating meat, etc. are all essential to save the planet.

The list of bullshit presented as fact goes on and on.

The nation's elite and "educated" people gaslit into driving our
total destruction. I fear when the penny does finally drop with these
people it will be far too late. Dark times ahead thanks to cultural
idiocy.

I realise I'm wasting my time, it is impossible to reason someone out
of a cult they were not reasoned into. If it makes your weak
arguments feel stronger please feel free to make further personal
attacks.

Bob.

Re: Freely

<5ae808015fbob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42128&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42128

From: bob@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 20:15:53 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 19:15 UTC

In article <uejd6l$2gqi$1@dont-email.me>,
JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:

> Don't forget the LEFT can be just as bigoted and perhaps are more
> bigoted as can be seen from the way they call anyone who disagrees
> with them 'far right'.

Indeed. I do now see the translation of 'far right' as realist.

Bigot = Not brainwashed and doesn't like bullshit.

The left do seem to feel they have the moral high ground for some
obscure reason and this leads them to think that anything they say to
someone, however nasty is justified as the end justifies the means.

Strange that the left have now completely abandoned the poor and
working people of our country. They just turned their backs on them
and are now only interested in the champagne socialists. Yet they see
themselves as morally superior it's a good trick of self delusion.

Bob.

Re: Freely

<uekuql$dduc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42130&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42130

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 21:52:30 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 20:52 UTC

On 22/09/2023 20:04, Bob Latham wrote:

> In article <ueia97$dgf0$1@solani.org>,
> Wilf <wilf21@is.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> On 21/09/2023 at 19:48, Java Jive wrote:
>>>
>>> TRANSLATION: "propaganda" = "news that doesn't support my bigoted
>>> right-wing view of the world"
>>
>> Spot on.

[Snip tl;dr self-deluded diatribe]

The very fact that you cannot ignore a chance to promote right-wing
propaganda is in and of itself proof of your bigotry - go and piss
your life up against a wall somewhere else, people here aren't interested.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Freely

<uekuvd$dduc$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42131&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42131

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 21:55:03 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 20:55 UTC

On 22/09/2023 20:15, Bob Latham wrote:

> In article <uejd6l$2gqi$1@dont-email.me>,
> JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>>
>> Don't forget the LEFT can be just as bigoted and perhaps are more
>> bigoted as can be seen from the way they call anyone who disagrees
>> with them 'far right'.
>
> Indeed. I do now see the translation of 'far right' as realist.

Nobody is more unrealistic in this ng than you, except possibly one
other whom I will not name since mercifully we haven't heard from him in
quite a while.

[snip self-deluded pontification]

Go and pollute some other place.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Freely

<vl8tgidi9r80362htutaij0egf4712h289@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42134&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42134

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 09:34:20 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 08:34 UTC

On Fri, 22 Sep 2023 11:18:02 +0100, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>On Fri 22/09/2023 10:08, Jim Lesurf wrote:
>> In article <xn0o72e8m38n1s000@news.individual.net>, Jeff Gaines
>> <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Intercept the HDMI connection with an iSolem video splitter and Globmall
>>> HD Game Capture Box:
>>
>>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006KZBC92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>>
>>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074Z3K8C1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>>
>>> Save it as an MP4 and you have it for keeps.
>>
>> I just use a DVB-T2 usb dongle and the magic 'record' icon of VLC for
>> non-BBC items. Result is file with the relevant streams transcribed into
>> it. Can then trim/process if needed with ffmpeg or handbrake (or even VLC).
>>
>> If someone wants to keep an every growing set of recordings then its worth
>> noting that these days you can get, say, 8TB SSDs in a USB caddy.
>>
>> Jim
>>

>...but it needs to be USB3 or higher - unless you've got from now until
>the end of the century to transfer it!

And there will come a point where you know you won't live long enough
to watch all your recorded programmes anyway.

Rod.

Re: Freely

<hq8tgipqkkgagck8a7fp1rpnkg0babb3c3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42135&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42135

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 09:41:33 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 08:41 UTC

On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 19:48:49 +0100, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
wrote:

>On 21/09/2023 19:39, Bob Latham wrote:
>> In article <sj5ogilbqpbccs1g6h5u8eo1h7795jfd4p@4ax.com>,
>> Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I can't think of any justification for a licence paid to one
>>> broadcaster for the right to watch other broadcasters' programmes.
>>
>> Indeed. It's not too dissimilar to a protection racket, you have a
>> demand for money (with menaces) from a third party which you have to
>> pay you can go about your chosen business.
>>
>> Not satisfied with that, they then use the money they've extorted
>> from you to pump you with propaganda.
>
>TRANSLATION: "propaganda" = "news that doesn't support my bigoted
>right-wing view of the world"

Alternatively: "propaganda" = "news carefully selected and/or
described so as to present the broadcasters' bigoted view of the
world, rather than a selection balanced to reflect the truth, from
which viewers can make up their own minds about what they think is
important".

Rod.

Re: Freely

<uema9g$nvi5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42137&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42137

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 09:14:25 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:GqI/+i6GELnUblBx8Dy3RYA2+q8=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 09:14 UTC

Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 19:48:49 +0100, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 21/09/2023 19:39, Bob Latham wrote:

>>> Indeed. It's not too dissimilar to a protection racket, you have a
>>> demand for money (with menaces) from a third party which you have to
>>> pay you can go about your chosen business.
>>>
>>> Not satisfied with that, they then use the money they've extorted
>>> from you to pump you with propaganda.
>>
>> TRANSLATION: "propaganda" = "news that doesn't support my bigoted
>> right-wing view of the world"
>
> Alternatively: "propaganda" = "news carefully selected and/or
> described so as to present the broadcasters' bigoted view of the
> world, rather than a selection balanced to reflect the truth, from
> which viewers can make up their own minds about what they think is
> important".
>
> Rod.

There are hundreds of news outlets available, of every conceivable shade.
You are free to choose whatever suits you. You are lucky to have that
freedom, many don’t.

Re: Freely

<5ae8598e8bbob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42139&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42139

From: bob@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 11:06:44 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 10:06 UTC

In article <uema9g$nvi5$1@dont-email.me>,
Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are hundreds of news outlets available, of every conceivable
> shade. You are free to choose whatever suits you. You are lucky to
> have that freedom, many don‘t.

You are just about still correct. However, evil people are bending
over backwards to kill anything but the mainstream media's propaganda
output. If you don't say the "correct" things you must be silenced.

When free speech dies only tyranny lies ahead.

Bob.

Re: Freely

<uemgsh$otds$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42140&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42140

From: max_demian@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 12:06:57 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 11:06 UTC

On 23/09/2023 09:34, Roderick Stewart wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Sep 2023 11:18:02 +0100, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
>> On Fri 22/09/2023 10:08, Jim Lesurf wrote:

>>> I just use a DVB-T2 usb dongle and the magic 'record' icon of VLC for
>>> non-BBC items. Result is file with the relevant streams transcribed into
>>> it. Can then trim/process if needed with ffmpeg or handbrake (or even VLC).
>>>
>>> If someone wants to keep an every growing set of recordings then its worth
>>> noting that these days you can get, say, 8TB SSDs in a USB caddy.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>

>> ...but it needs to be USB3 or higher - unless you've got from now until
>> the end of the century to transfer it!
>
> And there will come a point where you know you won't live long enough
> to watch all your recorded programmes anyway.

I record programmes on DVD so I *don't* have to watch them. I know I've
got them, and that's enough. If I didn't have them on DVD I would have
to decide whether to watch them or not before the HDD fills up (or fails).

--
Max Demian

Re: Freely

<uemj2t$p9j1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42142&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42142

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 12:44:30 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 11:44 UTC

On 23/09/2023 11:06, Bob Latham wrote:

> In article <uema9g$nvi5$1@dont-email.me>,
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There are hundreds of news outlets available, of every conceivable
>> shade. You are free to choose whatever suits you. You are lucky to
>> have that freedom, many don‘t.
>
> You are just about still correct. However, evil people are bending
> over backwards to kill anything but the mainstream media's propaganda
> output. If you don't say the "correct" things you must be silenced.

Puerile paranoia.

> When free speech dies only tyranny lies ahead.

So why do you keep pushing paranoid right-wing propaganda here?

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Freely

<knbpd9Fq0rrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42156&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42156

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 22:52:40 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 21:52 UTC

On 23/09/2023 09:34, Roderick Stewart wrote:

> And there will come a point where you know you won't live long enough
> to watch all your recorded programmes anyway.

Anything worth watching on TV is repeated often enough so no need to
record to archive it.
Record to time shift view or jump through adverts but not to make a copy
that is likely to sit there gathering dust until you die.

Re: Freely

<9ng2hilhr1lifs3rdppjh8uir0dhmcn1d8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42161&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42161

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 09:26:11 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 08:26 UTC

On Sun, 24 Sep 2023 22:52:40 +0100, alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 23/09/2023 09:34, Roderick Stewart wrote:
>

>> And there will come a point where you know you won't live long enough
>> to watch all your recorded programmes anyway.
>>

>Anything worth watching on TV is repeated often enough so no need to
>record to archive it.
>Record to time shift view or jump through adverts but not to make a copy
>that is likely to sit there gathering dust until you die.

There seems little point in going to the trouble of making your own
recordings when a cheap streaming device will enable you to access the
recordings that the broadcasters have already made. I still have the
means to play discs, but nowadays I find that I hardly ever do.

Rod.

Re: Freely

<ueri86$fef2$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=42164&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#42164

From: wilf21@is.invalid (Wilf)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 10:00:55 +0100
 by: Wilf - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 09:00 UTC

On 25/09/2023 at 09:26, Roderick Stewart wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Sep 2023 22:52:40 +0100, alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On 23/09/2023 09:34, Roderick Stewart wrote:
>>

>>> And there will come a point where you know you won't live long enough
>>> to watch all your recorded programmes anyway.
>>>

>> Anything worth watching on TV is repeated often enough so no need to
>> record to archive it.
>> Record to time shift view or jump through adverts but not to make a copy
>> that is likely to sit there gathering dust until you die.
>
> There seems little point in going to the trouble of making your own
> recordings when a cheap streaming device will enable you to access the
> recordings that the broadcasters have already made. I still have the
> means to play discs, but nowadays I find that I hardly ever do.
>
> Rod.

Recording allows you to skip over the adverts.

--
Wilf

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Freely