Underlying Principle of Socio-Genetics: Superiority is recessive.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: RMT

SubjectAuthor
* RMTRoland Perry
+* Re: RMTCoffee
|+* Re: RMTRoland Perry
||+- Re: RMTRecliner
||`* Re: RMTCoffee
|| +- Re: RMTTweed
|| +* Re: RMTRoland Perry
|| |+* Re: RMTGraeme Wall
|| |+* Re: RMTCertes
|| |`* Re: RMTCoffee
|| | `- Re: RMTRoland Perry
|| `* Re: RMTRecliner
||  `* Re: RMTTweed
||   +- Re: RMTCoffee
||   `- Re: RMTRoland Perry
|`* Re: RMTAnna Noyd-Dryver
| +- Re: RMTRoland Perry
| `* Re: RMTBevan Price
|  +* Re: RMTGraeme Wall
|  |`* Re: RMTCoffee
|  | `* Re: RMTGraeme Wall
|  |  `- Re: RMTRecliner
|  +- Re: RMTAnna Noyd-Dryver
|  `* Re: RMTKen
|   `* Re: RMTBevan Price
|    `* Re: RMTRecliner
|     +- Re: RMTSam Wilson
|     `* Re: RMTMatthew Geier
|      `* Re: RMTCertes
|       `- Re: RMTRecliner
`* Re: RMTRecliner
 +* Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |+* Re: RMTRecliner
 ||`* Re: RMTRoland Perry
 || `* Re: RMTRecliner
 ||  `- Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |`* Re: RMTTweed
 | `* Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |  `* Re: RMTRecliner
 |   `* Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |    `* Re: RMTTweed
 |     +* Re: RMTGraeme Wall
 |     |+* Re: RMTTweed
 |     ||`* Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |     || `* Re: RMTTweed
 |     ||  `* Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |     ||   `* Re: RMTCoffee
 |     ||    `* Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |     ||     `* Re: RMTTweed
 |     ||      `* Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |     ||       +* Re: RMTTweed
 |     ||       |+* Re: RMTRecliner
 |     ||       ||+* Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |     ||       |||`* Re: RMTRecliner
 |     ||       ||| `* Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |     ||       |||  +* Re: RMTSam Wilson
 |     ||       |||  |`- Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |     ||       |||  `* Re: RMTRecliner
 |     ||       |||   `* Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |     ||       |||    `* Re: RMTRecliner
 |     ||       |||     `- Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |     ||       ||`- Re: RMTAnna Noyd-Dryver
 |     ||       |`* Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |     ||       | `- Re: RMTTweed
 |     ||       `* Re: RMTSam Wilson
 |     ||        `* Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |     ||         `* Re: RMTSam Wilson
 |     ||          `* Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |     ||           `* Re: RMTSam Wilson
 |     ||            `* Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |     ||             `* Re: RMTSam Wilson
 |     ||              `- Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |     |`* Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |     | `- Re: RMTGraeme Wall
 |     +- Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |     `* Re: RMTAnna Noyd-Dryver
 |      +* Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |      |+* Re: RMTTweed
 |      ||+- Re: RMTRecliner
 |      ||+* Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |      |||+* Re: RMTCertes
 |      ||||`* Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |      |||| `* Re: RMTRoger Lynn
 |      ||||  +- Re: RMTAnna Noyd-Dryver
 |      ||||  `* Re: RMTGraeme Wall
 |      ||||   +- Re: RMTRecliner
 |      ||||   `- Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |      |||`* Re: RMTCoffee
 |      ||| `- Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |      ||`- Re: RMTAnna Noyd-Dryver
 |      |+- Re: RMTRecliner
 |      |`* Re: RMTBevan Price
 |      | `* Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |      |  `* Re: RMTRecliner
 |      |   `* Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |      |    `* Re: RMTRecliner
 |      |     `* Re: RMTRoland Perry
 |      |      `- Re: DOORecliner
 |      `- Re: RMTRecliner
 `- Re: RMTAnna Noyd-Dryver

Pages:12345
Re: RMT

<ukirdq$31egh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71206&group=uk.railway#71206

From: Certes@example.org (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: RMT
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 21:19:54 +0000
 by: Certes - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 21:19 UTC

On 03/12/2023 20:25, Matthew Geier wrote:
> On 4/12/23 03:40, Recliner wrote:
> In principle, driverless trains are much simpler to implement than
>> driverless road vehicles, and quite a few metro lines are already
>> driverless. So, politicians like BoJo don't want to pay the existing
>> drivers less; they want to eliminate most of those jobs altogether.
>> Indeed,
>> that day will probably come, sooner or later, but they'd like to
>> accelerate
>> the process.
>>

> And the higher the wages of the drivers, the faster this will happen as
> the business case looks better.
> Drivers are getting more expensive, the technology to replace them is
> getting cheaper.
>
> It's just a matter of time when the two graphs cross over.
>
> My local rail unions waged a successful campaign against driver-only
> operation over the last couple of years - but I think their win has only
> bought forward the point where the cost of automation crosses the cost
> of crew. If they had accepted DOO, the justification for replacing one
> skilled and trained crew instead of two skilled and trained crew could
> have delayed the automation push by years. Now the business case for
> automation has the cost of 2 crew to offset the cost not one.
> I guess that's has bought forward the cost justifications for automation
> 10-15 years.
> (We already have a 'digital railway' program in flight, using ETCS to do
> level 2 ATP - and that will provide a baseline for more automation)
>
> Id day they have one the battle but lost the war.

The problem occurs when you need a person on the spot to do something
other than drive, e.g. deal with an emergency. I think the best they
will do (from a financial rather than staff needs angle) is to replace
the driver by a lower-skilled worker as done on the DLR.

Re: RMT

<8cupmitord1bhorcr44u6333ai2sel2lsm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71213&group=uk.railway#71213

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 21:58:54 +0000
 by: Recliner - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 21:58 UTC

On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 21:19:54 +0000, Certes <Certes@example.org> wrote:

>On 03/12/2023 20:25, Matthew Geier wrote:
>> On 4/12/23 03:40, Recliner wrote:
>> In principle, driverless trains are much simpler to implement than
>>> driverless road vehicles, and quite a few metro lines are already
>>> driverless. So, politicians like BoJo don't want to pay the existing
>>> drivers less; they want to eliminate most of those jobs altogether.
>>> Indeed,
>>> that day will probably come, sooner or later, but they'd like to
>>> accelerate
>>> the process.
>>>

>> And the higher the wages of the drivers, the faster this will happen as
>> the business case looks better.
>> Drivers are getting more expensive, the technology to replace them is
>> getting cheaper.
>>
>> It's just a matter of time when the two graphs cross over.
>>
>> My local rail unions waged a successful campaign against driver-only
>> operation over the last couple of years - but I think their win has only
>> bought forward the point where the cost of automation crosses the cost
>> of crew. If they had accepted DOO, the justification for replacing one
>> skilled and trained crew instead of two skilled and trained crew could
>> have delayed the automation push by years. Now the business case for
>> automation has the cost of 2 crew to offset the cost not one.
>> I guess that's has bought forward the cost justifications for automation
>> 10-15 years.
>> (We already have a 'digital railway' program in flight, using ETCS to do
>> level 2 ATP - and that will provide a baseline for more automation)
>>
>> Id day they have one the battle but lost the war.
>
>The problem occurs when you need a person on the spot to do something
>other than drive, e.g. deal with an emergency. I think the best they
>will do (from a financial rather than staff needs angle) is to replace
>the driver by a lower-skilled worker as done on the DLR.

That's effectively what SN has done: guards have been replaced by OBSs. All but one of the existing guards accepted a
transfer to the new roles, and retained their pay and conditions, but new recruits may be offered less. Trains that had
guards still have OBSs, but in the future, if the OBS doesn't turn up, the train may still be able to run.

Re: RMT

<ynksxc5XwablFAjC@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71240&group=uk.railway#71240

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 10:38:15 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 10:38 UTC

In message <ukiakn$2tpd9$2@dont-email.me>, at 16:33:27 on Sun, 3 Dec
2023, Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Virtually all trains outside of the former NSE area, and Glasgow Suburban
>>> services, can't run without a guard (by various job titles but 'guard' is
>>> the Rule Book definition) on board, I think?
>>>
>>> Are there any other DOO areas?
>> Well, the trains you mention above are probably only a third of
>>those running.

>> However, several other areas show up in searches of DOO disputes,
>>such as Northern, Merseyrail and West Midlands Trains.
>
>All of the mentioned "TOCs" retain "guards".

On some services, and at the present rate, not for much longer.
--
Roland Perry

Re: RMT

<7XzuN95IxablFAB5@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71241&group=uk.railway#71241

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 10:39:04 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 10:39 UTC

In message <uki7mk$2tbe9$1@dont-email.me>, at 15:43:16 on Sun, 3 Dec
2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:
>On 03/12/2023 12:12, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <ukhp78$2r9di$1@dont-email.me>, at 11:36:08 on Sun, 3 Dec
>>2023, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Lots of stations have trains with guards and platform dispatch staff -
>>> especially the busy ones.

>> But is it an unnecessary luxury?
>
>No.

Please show your working.
--
Roland Perry

Re: RMT

<z3ysVh4OuablFAiC@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71243&group=uk.railway#71243

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 10:35:58 +0000
<irioSVVLidalFAZy@perry.uk> <ukcqk6$1t8ro$1@dont-email.me>
<6kreBTfsbgalFAqS@perry.uk> <3ooaN.13$XUo2.1@fx14.ams1>
<q+i6Xt6IUzalFA5X@perry.uk> <ukfhee$2dcna$1@dont-email.me>
<ukfhlg$2da5q$3@dont-email.me> <ukfi7h$2dgni$1@dont-email.me>
<e3mnVoFYR1alFA$u@perry.uk> <ukfmmi$2e6sa$1@dont-email.me>
<5YdeuCO2M4alFAIb@perry.uk> <ukg999$2gvt7$2@dont-email.me>
<Y1GGVkRfUCblFAmu@perry.uk> <ukhcsg$2peej$1@dont-email.me>
<dea3f$gtHFblFA0a@perry.uk> <ukhnrf$2r3bn$1@dont-email.me>
<SvZaN.12602$iIT1.4864@fx15.ams1> <Cfpgv7ohZGblFAGJ@perry.uk>
<RSZaN.12603$iIT1.9386@fx15.ams1>
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 10:35 UTC

In message <RSZaN.12603$iIT1.9386@fx15.ams1>, at 11:44:49 on Sun, 3 Dec
2023, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

Click here to read the complete article
Re: RMT

<1XStd94MvablFABg@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71244&group=uk.railway#71244

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 10:37:00 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 10:37 UTC

In message <ukil5f$30356$1@dont-email.me>, at 19:33:03 on Sun, 3 Dec
2023, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <ukhcsg$2peej$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:05:36 on Sun, 3 Dec
>> 2023, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>
>>> The point is that there’s very few, if any, railway lines that can be
>>> operated only by the driver. …
>>
>> You overestimate the number of stations manned by anyone at all…
>
>Lines != stations. I don’t think I need to point out the implications.

The implication is you don't seem to recognise how many stations are one
just one line.
--
Roland Perry

Re: RMT

<ukkb2f$3cqp8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71247&group=uk.railway#71247

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 10:53:03 -0000 (UTC)
<e3mnVoFYR1alFA$u@perry.uk>
<ukfmmi$2e6sa$1@dont-email.me>
<5YdeuCO2M4alFAIb@perry.uk>
<ukg999$2gvt7$2@dont-email.me>
<Y1GGVkRfUCblFAmu@perry.uk>
<ukhcsg$2peej$1@dont-email.me>
<dea3f$gtHFblFA0a@perry.uk>
<ukhnrf$2r3bn$1@dont-email.me>
<SvZaN.12602$iIT1.4864@fx15.ams1>
<Cfpgv7ohZGblFAGJ@perry.uk>
<RSZaN.12603$iIT1.9386@fx15.ams1>
<z3ysVh4OuablFAiC@perry.uk>
sha1:0aokk5jLFy4pmiIJmVBUg5hjz/U=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 10:53 UTC

<ukkbd8$3cs9e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71248&group=uk.railway#71248

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 10:58:48 -0000 (UTC)
<e3mnVoFYR1alFA$u@perry.uk>
<ukfmmi$2e6sa$1@dont-email.me>
<5YdeuCO2M4alFAIb@perry.uk>
<ukg999$2gvt7$2@dont-email.me>
<Y1GGVkRfUCblFAmu@perry.uk>
<ukhcsg$2peej$1@dont-email.me>
<dea3f$gtHFblFA0a@perry.uk>
<ukil5f$30356$1@dont-email.me>
<1XStd94MvablFABg@perry.uk>
sha1:MzMJ78DoaCVCReRKe7Qb6c25GWw=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 10:58 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <ukil5f$30356$1@dont-email.me>, at 19:33:03 on Sun, 3 Dec
> 2023, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <ukhcsg$2peej$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:05:36 on Sun, 3 Dec
>>> 2023, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> You overestimate the number of stations manned by anyone at all…
>>
>> Lines != stations. I don’t think I need to point out the implications.
>
> The implication is you don't seem to recognise how many stations are one
> just one line.

“… on just one line…”? Let me be boringly explicit: just because some
stations don’t need staff to handle trains that doesn’t mean the whole line
can be operated without non-driving staff. You and Tweed were talking
about different things.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: RMT

<2xibN.4829$XUo2.3759@fx14.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71249&group=uk.railway#71249

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2023 11:15:10 GMT
 by: Recliner - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 11:15 UTC

<jlfrmi5cve6ff4ko5rcf98r2706fco32kf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71251&group=uk.railway#71251

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2023 11:58:12 +0000
 by: Recliner - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 11:58 UTC

On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 10:38:15 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:

>In message <ukiakn$2tpd9$2@dont-email.me>, at 16:33:27 on Sun, 3 Dec
>2023, Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Well, the trains you mention above are probably only a third of
>>>those running.
>
>>> However, several other areas show up in searches of DOO disputes,
>>>such as Northern, Merseyrail and West Midlands Trains.
>>
>>All of the mentioned "TOCs" retain "guards".
>
>On some services, and at the present rate, not for much longer.

When did a UK service last go DOO?

Re: RMT

<6BkO406VCcblFAAW@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71252&group=uk.railway#71252

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 12:05:41 +0000
<6kreBTfsbgalFAqS@perry.uk> <3ooaN.13$XUo2.1@fx14.ams1>
<q+i6Xt6IUzalFA5X@perry.uk> <ukfhee$2dcna$1@dont-email.me>
<ukfhlg$2da5q$3@dont-email.me> <ukfi7h$2dgni$1@dont-email.me>
<e3mnVoFYR1alFA$u@perry.uk> <ukfmmi$2e6sa$1@dont-email.me>
<5YdeuCO2M4alFAIb@perry.uk> <ukg999$2gvt7$2@dont-email.me>
<Y1GGVkRfUCblFAmu@perry.uk> <ukhcsg$2peej$1@dont-email.me>
<dea3f$gtHFblFA0a@perry.uk> <ukhnrf$2r3bn$1@dont-email.me>
<SvZaN.12602$iIT1.4864@fx15.ams1> <Cfpgv7ohZGblFAGJ@perry.uk>
<RSZaN.12603$iIT1.9386@fx15.ams1> <z3ysVh4OuablFAiC@perry.uk>
<ukkb2f$3cqp8$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 12:05 UTC

In message <ukkb2f$3cqp8$1@dont-email.me>, at 10:53:03 on Mon, 4 Dec
2023, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>> Do the trains prepare themselves?
>>
>> Define what you mean by "prepare". If for example you mean cleaning the
>> toilets and litter picking, there's plenty of evidence that on many
>> services none of that is done overnight.
>
>But if it’s done sometime then there are clearly staff who do it, and if
>they didn’t we’d be knee deep in rubbish.

I've been on early morning GA trains where the tables were covered in
beer cans and discarded food packaging. Someone can clear that up
afterwards, even if the long suffering public who want to use that same
table for their laptop.
--
Roland Perry

Re: RMT

<lRaJcX7sFcblFAjy@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71253&group=uk.railway#71253

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 12:09:16 +0000
<6kreBTfsbgalFAqS@perry.uk> <3ooaN.13$XUo2.1@fx14.ams1>
<q+i6Xt6IUzalFA5X@perry.uk> <ukfhee$2dcna$1@dont-email.me>
<ukfhlg$2da5q$3@dont-email.me> <ukfi7h$2dgni$1@dont-email.me>
<e3mnVoFYR1alFA$u@perry.uk> <ukfmmi$2e6sa$1@dont-email.me>
<5YdeuCO2M4alFAIb@perry.uk> <ukg999$2gvt7$2@dont-email.me>
<Y1GGVkRfUCblFAmu@perry.uk> <ukhcsg$2peej$1@dont-email.me>
<dea3f$gtHFblFA0a@perry.uk> <ukhnrf$2r3bn$1@dont-email.me>
<SvZaN.12602$iIT1.4864@fx15.ams1> <Cfpgv7ohZGblFAGJ@perry.uk>
<RSZaN.12603$iIT1.9386@fx15.ams1> <z3ysVh4OuablFAiC@perry.uk>
<2xibN.4829$XUo2.3759@fx14.ams1>
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 12:09 UTC

In message <2xibN.4829$XUo2.3759@fx14.ams1>, at 11:15:10 on Mon, 4 Dec
2023, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Do the trains prepare themselves?
>>
>> Define what you mean by "prepare". If for example you mean cleaning the
>> toilets and litter picking, there's plenty of evidence that on many
>> services none of that is done overnight.
>
>The toilets in modern trains need more than just cleaning.

Which often doesn't happen because I suspect many of them which go
out-of-action are because of unemptied tanks.

The last two trains I wanted to use the toilet, had run out of paper.
Maybe grab some of the litter elsewhere on the train and wipe one's bum
with that instead?

>And what about the overnight servicing and checking of the trains? '

You need to tell us what servicing and checking that involves.
--
Roland Perry

Re: RMT

<uRmLcw7cHcblFAj$@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71255&group=uk.railway#71255

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 12:11:08 +0000
<irioSVVLidalFAZy@perry.uk> <ukcqk6$1t8ro$1@dont-email.me>
<6kreBTfsbgalFAqS@perry.uk> <3ooaN.13$XUo2.1@fx14.ams1>
<q+i6Xt6IUzalFA5X@perry.uk> <ukfhee$2dcna$1@dont-email.me>
<ukfhlg$2da5q$3@dont-email.me> <ukfi7h$2dgni$1@dont-email.me>
<e3mnVoFYR1alFA$u@perry.uk> <ukfmmi$2e6sa$1@dont-email.me>
<5YdeuCO2M4alFAIb@perry.uk> <ukg999$2gvt7$2@dont-email.me>
<Y1GGVkRfUCblFAmu@perry.uk> <ukhcsg$2peej$1@dont-email.me>
<dea3f$gtHFblFA0a@perry.uk> <ukil5f$30356$1@dont-email.me>
<1XStd94MvablFABg@perry.uk> <ukkbd8$3cs9e$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 12:11 UTC

In message <ukkbd8$3cs9e$1@dont-email.me>, at 10:58:48 on Mon, 4 Dec
2023, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <ukil5f$30356$1@dont-email.me>, at 19:33:03 on Sun, 3 Dec
>> 2023, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>> Lines != stations. I don’t think I need to point out the implications.
>>
>> The implication is you don't seem to recognise how many stations are one
>> just one line.
>
>“… on just one line…”? Let me be boringly explicit: just because some
>stations don’t need staff to handle trains that doesn’t mean the whole line
>can be operated without non-driving staff.

But the whole transit of a specific train, on one line, might be able
to.

>You and Tweed were talking about different things.

Wouldn't be the first time the group should be renamed
uk.railway.cross-purposes
--
Roland Perry

Re: RMT

<53hrmi9iv6gh9qe9dlfebal0acb2cs6tib@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71258&group=uk.railway#71258

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
References: <ukfi7h$2dgni$1@dont-email.me> <e3mnVoFYR1alFA$u@perry.uk> <ukfmmi$2e6sa$1@dont-email.me> <5YdeuCO2M4alFAIb@perry.uk> <ukg999$2gvt7$2@dont-email.me> <Y1GGVkRfUCblFAmu@perry.uk> <ukhcsg$2peej$1@dont-email.me> <dea3f$gtHFblFA0a@perry.uk> <ukhnrf$2r3bn$1@dont-email.me> <SvZaN.12602$iIT1.4864@fx15.ams1> <Cfpgv7ohZGblFAGJ@perry.uk> <RSZaN.12603$iIT1.9386@fx15.ams1> <z3ysVh4OuablFAiC@perry.uk> <2xibN.4829$XUo2.3759@fx14.ams1> <lRaJcX7sFcblFAjy@perry.uk>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2023 12:24:31 +0000
 by: Recliner - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 12:24 UTC

On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 12:09:16 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:

>In message <2xibN.4829$XUo2.3759@fx14.ams1>, at 11:15:10 on Mon, 4 Dec
>2023, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Define what you mean by "prepare". If for example you mean cleaning the
>>> toilets and litter picking, there's plenty of evidence that on many
>>> services none of that is done overnight.
>>
>>The toilets in modern trains need more than just cleaning.
>
>Which often doesn't happen because I suspect many of them which go
>out-of-action are because of unemptied tanks.

Or water not topped up.

In either case, if the depot staff are on strike, trains are less likely to be available for service.

>The last two trains I wanted to use the toilet, had run out of paper.
>Maybe grab some of the litter elsewhere on the train and wipe one's bum
>with that instead?
>
>>And what about the overnight servicing and checking of the trains? '
>
>You need to tell us what servicing and checking that involves.

<https://www.raildeliverygroup.com/files/Publications/ACOP/GuidanceNotes/RDG-OPS-GN-007DepotGoodPractice.pdf>

Re: RMT

<lua5TjEv4cblFAA5@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71268&group=uk.railway#71268

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 13:03:43 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 13:03 UTC

In message <53hrmi9iv6gh9qe9dlfebal0acb2cs6tib@4ax.com>, at 12:24:31 on
Mon, 4 Dec 2023, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 12:09:16 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <2xibN.4829$XUo2.3759@fx14.ams1>, at 11:15:10 on Mon, 4 Dec
>>2023, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>>The toilets in modern trains need more than just cleaning.
>>
>>Which often doesn't happen because I suspect many of them which go
>>out-of-action are because of unemptied tanks.
>
>Or water not topped up.
>
>In either case, if the depot staff are on strike, trains are less
>likely to be available for service.

No, they simply send the trains out with non-functional toilets.

>>The last two trains I wanted to use the toilet, had run out of paper.
>>Maybe grab some of the litter elsewhere on the train and wipe one's bum
>>with that instead?
>>
>>>And what about the overnight servicing and checking of the trains? '
>>
>>You need to tell us what servicing and checking that involves.
>
><https://www.raildeliverygroup.com/files/Publications/ACOP/GuidanceNotes
>/RDG-OPS-GN-007DepotGoodPractice.pdf>

That appears to be almost entirely about the H&S of depot workers,
not the works needed to be done to trains. Many trains don't stable
overnight in formal depots, anyway.
--
Roland Perry

Re: RMT

<7+2+XUFe7cblFAjH@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71269&group=uk.railway#71269

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 13:06:38 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 13:06 UTC

In message <jlfrmi5cve6ff4ko5rcf98r2706fco32kf@4ax.com>, at 11:58:12 on
Mon, 4 Dec 2023, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 10:38:15 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <ukiakn$2tpd9$2@dont-email.me>, at 16:33:27 on Sun, 3 Dec
>>2023, Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> remarked:

>>>All of the mentioned "TOCs" retain "guards".
>>
>>On some services, and at the present rate, not for much longer.
>
>When did a UK service last go DOO?

There's clearly a lot of discussion about it between TOCs and the
unions. I don't have a date for your specific enquiry, so that
relieves you of the responsibility to do enough research to quibble
about it.
--
Roland Perry

Re: RMT

<r5krmi9cdsfd940av3rmutrj1bq2tuuvua@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71270&group=uk.railway#71270

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
References: <l2e5VC16gYalFAJ3@perry.uk> <IPhaN.87461$OAC8.26087@fx09.ams1> <irioSVVLidalFAZy@perry.uk> <ukcqk6$1t8ro$1@dont-email.me> <6kreBTfsbgalFAqS@perry.uk> <3ooaN.13$XUo2.1@fx14.ams1> <q+i6Xt6IUzalFA5X@perry.uk> <ukfhee$2dcna$1@dont-email.me> <ukhluj$2qqot$3@dont-email.me> <$s6fT7nuUGblFAiu@perry.uk> <ukiakn$2tpd9$2@dont-email.me> <ynksxc5XwablFAjC@perry.uk> <jlfrmi5cve6ff4ko5rcf98r2706fco32kf@4ax.com> <7+2+XUFe7cblFAjH@perry.uk>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2023 13:19:36 +0000
 by: Recliner - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 13:19 UTC

On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 13:06:38 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:

>In message <jlfrmi5cve6ff4ko5rcf98r2706fco32kf@4ax.com>, at 11:58:12 on
>Mon, 4 Dec 2023, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>>On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 10:38:15 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>In message <ukiakn$2tpd9$2@dont-email.me>, at 16:33:27 on Sun, 3 Dec
>>>2023, Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> remarked:

>>>On some services, and at the present rate, not for much longer.
>>
>>When did a UK service last go DOO?
>
>There's clearly a lot of discussion about it between TOCs and the
>unions.

The TOCs (ie, DfT) want it on some (commuter-type) routes, the unions don't. The unions go on strike to block it, and
usually win.

> I don't have a date for your specific enquiry, so that
>relieves you of the responsibility to do enough research to quibble
>about it.

Why don't you just admit that you have no idea when it was?

Re: RMT

<ukklu9$3eihf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71271&group=uk.railway#71271

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 13:58:33 -0000 (UTC)
<e3mnVoFYR1alFA$u@perry.uk>
<ukfmmi$2e6sa$1@dont-email.me>
<5YdeuCO2M4alFAIb@perry.uk>
<ukg999$2gvt7$2@dont-email.me>
<Y1GGVkRfUCblFAmu@perry.uk>
<ukhcsg$2peej$1@dont-email.me>
<dea3f$gtHFblFA0a@perry.uk>
<ukil5f$30356$1@dont-email.me>
<1XStd94MvablFABg@perry.uk>
<ukkbd8$3cs9e$1@dont-email.me>
<uRmLcw7cHcblFAj$@perry.uk>
sha1:fDUviYB70jP4tScn2ZxctO2ehnw=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 13:58 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <ukkbd8$3cs9e$1@dont-email.me>, at 10:58:48 on Mon, 4 Dec
> 2023, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <ukil5f$30356$1@dont-email.me>, at 19:33:03 on Sun, 3 Dec
>>> 2023, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>> The implication is you don't seem to recognise how many stations are one
>>> just one line.
>>
>> “… on just one line…”? Let me be boringly explicit: just because some
>> stations don’t need staff to handle trains that doesn’t mean the whole line
>> can be operated without non-driving staff.
>
> But the whole transit of a specific train, on one line, might be able
> to.

Now who’s talking about edge cases?

>> You and Tweed were talking about different things.
>
> Wouldn't be the first time the group should be renamed
> uk.railway.cross-purposes

:-)

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: RMT

<GvphjPhgAkblFAF+@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71303&group=uk.railway#71303

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 21:09:52 +0000
<ukcqk6$1t8ro$1@dont-email.me> <6kreBTfsbgalFAqS@perry.uk>
<3ooaN.13$XUo2.1@fx14.ams1> <q+i6Xt6IUzalFA5X@perry.uk>
<ukfhee$2dcna$1@dont-email.me> <ukfhlg$2da5q$3@dont-email.me>
<ukfi7h$2dgni$1@dont-email.me> <e3mnVoFYR1alFA$u@perry.uk>
<ukfmmi$2e6sa$1@dont-email.me> <5YdeuCO2M4alFAIb@perry.uk>
<ukg999$2gvt7$2@dont-email.me> <Y1GGVkRfUCblFAmu@perry.uk>
<ukhcsg$2peej$1@dont-email.me> <dea3f$gtHFblFA0a@perry.uk>
<ukil5f$30356$1@dont-email.me> <1XStd94MvablFABg@perry.uk>
<ukkbd8$3cs9e$1@dont-email.me> <uRmLcw7cHcblFAj$@perry.uk>
<ukklu9$3eihf$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 21:09 UTC

In message <ukklu9$3eihf$1@dont-email.me>, at 13:58:33 on Mon, 4 Dec
2023, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <ukkbd8$3cs9e$1@dont-email.me>, at 10:58:48 on Mon, 4 Dec
>> 2023, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>> “… on just one line…”? Let me be boringly explicit: just
>>>because some stations don’t need staff to handle trains that
>>>doesn’t mean the whole line can be operated without non-driving staff.
>>
>> But the whole transit of a specific train, on one line, might be able
>> to.
>
>Now who’s talking about edge cases?

Dunno, but edge cases I can think of are LNER trains that don't travel
the ECML, or GN trains that don't travel the GN line (especially since
the outer suburbans to Peterborough are now branded Thameslink apart
from two per day).

--
Roland Perry

Re: RMT

<uklhih$3j1t9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71307&group=uk.railway#71307

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 21:50:10 -0000 (UTC)
<ukfmmi$2e6sa$1@dont-email.me>
<5YdeuCO2M4alFAIb@perry.uk>
<ukg999$2gvt7$2@dont-email.me>
<Y1GGVkRfUCblFAmu@perry.uk>
<ukhcsg$2peej$1@dont-email.me>
<dea3f$gtHFblFA0a@perry.uk>
<ukil5f$30356$1@dont-email.me>
<1XStd94MvablFABg@perry.uk>
<ukkbd8$3cs9e$1@dont-email.me>
<uRmLcw7cHcblFAj$@perry.uk>
<ukklu9$3eihf$1@dont-email.me>
<GvphjPhgAkblFAF+@perry.uk>
sha1:0y/np6t3hzGmc3pehsAwdFpD3wc=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 21:50 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <ukklu9$3eihf$1@dont-email.me>, at 13:58:33 on Mon, 4 Dec
> 2023, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <ukkbd8$3cs9e$1@dont-email.me>, at 10:58:48 on Mon, 4 Dec
>>> 2023, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>> But the whole transit of a specific train, on one line, might be able
>>> to.
>>
>> Now who’s talking about edge cases?
>
> Dunno, but edge cases I can think of are LNER trains that don't travel
> the ECML, or GN trains that don't travel the GN line (especially since
> the outer suburbans to Peterborough are now branded Thameslink apart
> from two per day).

A specific train on one line travelling DOO with no other staff isn’t an
edge case?

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: RMT

<9ug44k-81b.ln1@castle.rilynn.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71380&group=uk.railway#71380

From: usenet@rilynn.me.uk (Roger Lynn)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 21:22:49 +0000
 by: Roger Lynn - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 21:22 UTC

On 03/12/2023 15:05, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <uki0if$2sa3m$1@dont-email.me>, at 13:41:35 on Sun, 3 Dec
> 2023, Certes <Certes@example.org> remarked:
>>Perhaps the train also visits other, unstaffed stations where a guard
>>is needed, and this station is served by other, DOO trains which require
>>platform dispatch staff. Or it's just a long train on a bendy platform.
>
> A veritable confluence of edge cases! The thing about DOO trains is they
> are supposed to have CCTV along the train so a bendy platform doesn't
> matter. If anything it's a dispatcher who would have difficulty seeing
> the whole length of the train at once.

Do 165s and 168s have CCTV? (I don't know.)

Re: RMT

<ukodfr$ej2c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71383&group=uk.railway#71383

From: anna@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 23:58:51 -0000 (UTC)
<ukhp78$2r9di$1@dont-email.me>
<Jeayf7ptCHblFA2K@perry.uk>
<uki0if$2sa3m$1@dont-email.me>
<hHaoZD1skJblFAST@perry.uk>
<9ug44k-81b.ln1@castle.rilynn.me.uk>
sha1:CRE338Bwxr05vcS17aT94IrTJbY=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 23:58 UTC

Roger Lynn <usenet@rilynn.me.uk> wrote:
> On 03/12/2023 15:05, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <uki0if$2sa3m$1@dont-email.me>, at 13:41:35 on Sun, 3 Dec
>> 2023, Certes <Certes@example.org> remarked:
>>> Perhaps the train also visits other, unstaffed stations where a guard
>>> is needed, and this station is served by other, DOO trains which require
>>> platform dispatch staff. Or it's just a long train on a bendy platform.
>>
>> A veritable confluence of edge cases! The thing about DOO trains is they
>> are supposed to have CCTV along the train so a bendy platform doesn't
>> matter. If anything it's a dispatcher who would have difficulty seeing
>> the whole length of the train at once.
>
> Do 165s and 168s have CCTV? (I don't know.)

No; for DOO operation they rely on platform-mounted CCTV or mirrors.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: RMT

<ukpc9n$m7gu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71389&group=uk.railway#71389

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 08:44:39 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 08:44 UTC

On 05/12/2023 21:22, Roger Lynn wrote:
> On 03/12/2023 15:05, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <uki0if$2sa3m$1@dont-email.me>, at 13:41:35 on Sun, 3 Dec
>> 2023, Certes <Certes@example.org> remarked:
>>> Perhaps the train also visits other, unstaffed stations where a guard
>>> is needed, and this station is served by other, DOO trains which require
>>> platform dispatch staff. Or it's just a long train on a bendy platform.
>>
>> A veritable confluence of edge cases! The thing about DOO trains is they
>> are supposed to have CCTV along the train so a bendy platform doesn't
>> matter. If anything it's a dispatcher who would have difficulty seeing
>> the whole length of the train at once.
>
> Do 165s and 168s have CCTV? (I don't know.)

Not on the 165s, don't know about the 168s but I would assume not.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: RMT

<EYFRu89NOEclFA$A@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71401&group=uk.railway#71401

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 09:49:01 +0000
<3ooaN.13$XUo2.1@fx14.ams1> <q+i6Xt6IUzalFA5X@perry.uk>
<ukfhee$2dcna$1@dont-email.me> <ukfhlg$2da5q$3@dont-email.me>
<ukfi7h$2dgni$1@dont-email.me> <e3mnVoFYR1alFA$u@perry.uk>
<ukfmmi$2e6sa$1@dont-email.me> <5YdeuCO2M4alFAIb@perry.uk>
<ukg999$2gvt7$2@dont-email.me> <Y1GGVkRfUCblFAmu@perry.uk>
<ukhcsg$2peej$1@dont-email.me> <dea3f$gtHFblFA0a@perry.uk>
<ukil5f$30356$1@dont-email.me> <1XStd94MvablFABg@perry.uk>
<ukkbd8$3cs9e$1@dont-email.me> <uRmLcw7cHcblFAj$@perry.uk>
<ukklu9$3eihf$1@dont-email.me> <GvphjPhgAkblFAF+@perry.uk>
<uklhih$3j1t9$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 09:49 UTC

In message <uklhih$3j1t9$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:50:10 on Mon, 4 Dec
2023, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <ukklu9$3eihf$1@dont-email.me>, at 13:58:33 on Mon, 4 Dec
>> 2023, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>> Now who’s talking about edge cases?
>>
>> Dunno, but edge cases I can think of are LNER trains that don't travel
>> the ECML, or GN trains that don't travel the GN line (especially since
>> the outer suburbans to Peterborough are now branded Thameslink apart
>> from two per day).
>
>A specific train on one line travelling DOO with no other staff isn’t an
>edge case?

I wouldn't expect a station to be staffed just to service one or two
trains a day like that. Most likely they'd upgrade the platform
equipment to allow DOO operation.
--
Roland Perry

Re: RMT

<PAXbN.5$MGj.1@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71402&group=uk.railway#71402

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
<ukhp78$2r9di$1@dont-email.me>
<Jeayf7ptCHblFA2K@perry.uk>
<uki0if$2sa3m$1@dont-email.me>
<hHaoZD1skJblFAST@perry.uk>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2023 09:58:07 GMT
 by: Recliner - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 09:58 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 05/12/2023 21:22, Roger Lynn wrote:
>> On 03/12/2023 15:05, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> In message <uki0if$2sa3m$1@dont-email.me>, at 13:41:35 on Sun, 3 Dec
>>> 2023, Certes <Certes@example.org> remarked:
>>>
>>> A veritable confluence of edge cases! The thing about DOO trains is they
>>> are supposed to have CCTV along the train so a bendy platform doesn't
>>> matter. If anything it's a dispatcher who would have difficulty seeing
>>> the whole length of the train at once.
>>
>> Do 165s and 168s have CCTV? (I don't know.)
>
> Not on the 165s, don't know about the 168s but I would assume not.

As with LU trains, which are all OPO, the monitors or mirrors are on the
platforms. Most LU stations don't have platform staff, and the trains are
longer than 16x trains.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: RMT