1: No code table for op: ++post

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: It's a boy!

SubjectAuthor
* Troubleshooting kernel panicsAndré G. Isaak
+* Troubleshooting kernel panicsBob Campbell
|+- Troubleshooting kernel panicsDavid Brooks
|+* Troubleshooting kernel panicsAndré G. Isaak
||+- Troubleshooting kernel panicsDavid Brooks
||+* Troubleshooting kernel panicsAlan Browne
|||+* Troubleshooting kernel panicsgtr
|||`- It's a boy!Alan Browne
||`- It's a boy!Alan Browne-
|`- External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue-- RESOLVEDAnt
+* Troubleshooting kernel panicsAlan Browne
|`- Troubleshooting kernel panicsAndré G. Isaak
`- External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue-- RESOLVEDJolly Roger

Pages:123
Re: It's a boy!

<uim287$3088v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17415&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17415

From: xxx@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: It's a boy!
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 20:02:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 20:02 UTC

On Nov 9, 2023 at 5:34:39 PM PST, "Alan" <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

> On 2023-11-09 14:42, Alan Browne- wrote:

>>> What don't you like about the Migration Assistant?
>>

>> I used it once before and it was slow as molasses (ethernet 1 Gb/s).
>>
>> IAC, this gives me a chance to review what I really want to move over,
>> re-do the settings from scratch, etc. and so on. Also used it for work
>> as files were copying over. My desk is a disaster zone though - 4
>> monitors at present (one is off and behind). Old Mac is in Screen
>> Sharing and in a space - so easy to pop back and forth and stay on one
>> keyboard, trackpad...
>>
>> One nasty thing ... used to be Finder would follow my date-time
>> preference (YYYY-MM-DD::HH:mm), but doesn't. Puts it up in
>> ack-basswards mode (November 9, 2023 ...
>>
>> The workaround for this needs some study (need to execute some weird
>> terminal command to set a format string ... sheesh!). I'll get to it
>> over the weekend once I figure it out...
>>

> You're telling us you can't go to System Preferences to set your time
> and date formats?
>
> I find that highly doubtful.
>
> <https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mh27073/mac>
>
> 'To customize formats, do any of the following:
>
> Date format: Choose the date format, such as day, then month, then year.'

Just for grins I messed with this, changed the date format, and found it had
no effect on the display date for listed files in Finder.

Re: It's a boy!

<uim44l$30in3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17416&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17416

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 12:34:29 -0800
 by: Alan - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 20:34 UTC

On 2023-11-10 12:02, gtr wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2023 at 5:34:39 PM PST, "Alan" <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>>> I used it once before and it was slow as molasses (ethernet 1 Gb/s).
>>>
>>> IAC, this gives me a chance to review what I really want to move over,
>>> re-do the settings from scratch, etc. and so on. Also used it for work
>>> as files were copying over. My desk is a disaster zone though - 4
>>> monitors at present (one is off and behind). Old Mac is in Screen
>>> Sharing and in a space - so easy to pop back and forth and stay on one
>>> keyboard, trackpad...
>>>
>>> One nasty thing ... used to be Finder would follow my date-time
>>> preference (YYYY-MM-DD::HH:mm), but doesn't. Puts it up in
>>> ack-basswards mode (November 9, 2023 ...
>>>
>>> The workaround for this needs some study (need to execute some weird
>>> terminal command to set a format string ... sheesh!). I'll get to it
>>> over the weekend once I figure it out...
>>>

>> You're telling us you can't go to System Preferences to set your time
>> and date formats?
>>
>> I find that highly doubtful.
>>
>> <https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mh27073/mac>
>>
>> 'To customize formats, do any of the following:
>>
>> Date format: Choose the date format, such as day, then month, then year.'
>
> Just for grins I messed with this, changed the date format, and found it had
> no effect on the display date for listed files in Finder.

Did you change all the date formats to be the same, or change the width
of the date column in the Finder?

Because I just changed my short date format from YYYY-MM-DD (all
represented in digits) to YYYY-Nov-DD (year and day in digits and month
as three character abbreviations) and it worked perfectly...

....provided the date column I was looking at was set to a width that
required the short format.

Re: It's a boy!

<62x3N.7363$wvv7.4755@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17417&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17417

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: oneway@down.net (Alan Browne-)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 16:13:38 -0500
 by: Alan Browne- - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 21:13 UTC

On 2023-11-10 15:34, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-11-10 12:02, gtr wrote:

>>> You're telling us you can't go to System Preferences to set your time
>>> and date formats?
>>>
>>> I find that highly doubtful.
>>>
>>> <https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mh27073/mac>
>>>
>>> 'To customize formats, do any of the following:
>>>
>>> Date format: Choose the date format, such as day, then month, then
>>> year.'
>>
>> Just for grins I messed with this, changed the date format, and found
>> it had
>> no effect on the display date for listed files in Finder.
>
> Did you change all the date formats to be the same, or change the width
> of the date column in the Finder?
>
> Because I just changed my short date format from YYYY-MM-DD (all
> represented in digits) to YYYY-Nov-DD (year and day in digits and month
> as three character abbreviations) and it worked perfectly...
>
> ...provided the date column I was looking at was set to a width that
> required the short format.

What OS are you using?

Re: It's a boy!

<Hrx3N.27$rx%7.22@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17418&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17418

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: oneway@down.net (Alan Browne-)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 16:40:54 -0500
 by: Alan Browne- - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 21:40 UTC

On 2023-11-10 15:34, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-11-10 12:02, gtr wrote:

>>> You're telling us you can't go to System Preferences to set your time
>>> and date formats?
>>>
>>> I find that highly doubtful.
>>>
>>> <https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mh27073/mac>
>>>
>>> 'To customize formats, do any of the following:
>>>
>>> Date format: Choose the date format, such as day, then month, then
>>> year.'
>>
>> Just for grins I messed with this, changed the date format, and found
>> it had
>> no effect on the display date for listed files in Finder.
>
> Did you change all the date formats to be the same, or change the width
> of the date column in the Finder?
>
> Because I just changed my short date format from YYYY-MM-DD (all
> represented in digits) to YYYY-Nov-DD (year and day in digits and month
> as three character abbreviations) and it worked perfectly...
>
> ...provided the date column I was looking at was set to a width that
> required the short format.

Which is stupid (not you, the setting).

So

If the column is wider I see it as Nov 10, 2023, 18:48.

If the column is narrow I see it as 2023-11-10 .... w/o time of day.

On Mojave it shows in ONLY as I set it to be shown (YYYY-MM-DD and time).

Anyway, I'll have to dig around and find that command example - should
have bookmarked it or copied it ....

Re: It's a boy!

<uim8nd$31hr5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17419&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17419

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 13:52:45 -0800
 by: Alan - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 21:52 UTC

On 2023-11-10 13:13, Alan Browne- wrote:
> On 2023-11-10 15:34, Alan wrote:

>>> Just for grins I messed with this, changed the date format, and found
>>> it had
>>> no effect on the display date for listed files in Finder.
>>
>> Did you change all the date formats to be the same, or change the
>> width of the date column in the Finder?
>>
>> Because I just changed my short date format from YYYY-MM-DD (all
>> represented in digits) to YYYY-Nov-DD (year and day in digits and
>> month as three character abbreviations) and it worked perfectly...
>>
>> ...provided the date column I was looking at was set to a width that
>> required the short format.
>
> What OS are you using?

Monterey.

Re: It's a boy!

<uim8og$31hr5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17420&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17420

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 13:53:20 -0800
 by: Alan - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 21:53 UTC

On 2023-11-10 13:40, Alan Browne- wrote:
> On 2023-11-10 15:34, Alan wrote:

>>> Just for grins I messed with this, changed the date format, and found
>>> it had
>>> no effect on the display date for listed files in Finder.
>>
>> Did you change all the date formats to be the same, or change the
>> width of the date column in the Finder?
>>
>> Because I just changed my short date format from YYYY-MM-DD (all
>> represented in digits) to YYYY-Nov-DD (year and day in digits and
>> month as three character abbreviations) and it worked perfectly...
>>
>> ...provided the date column I was looking at was set to a width that
>> required the short format.
>
> Which is stupid (not you, the setting).
>
> So
>
> If the column is wider I see it as Nov 10, 2023, 18:48.
>
> If the column is narrow I see it as 2023-11-10   .... w/o time of day.
>

> On Mojave it shows in ONLY as I set it to be shown (YYYY-MM-DD and time).
>
> Anyway, I'll have to dig around and find that command example - should
> have bookmarked it or copied it ....

Show me a screenshot of the pertinent parts of Settings...

Re: It's a boy!

<HXy3N.14216$Ee89.14200@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17421&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17421

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: oneway@down.net (Alan Browne-)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 18:23:19 -0500
 by: Alan Browne- - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 23:23 UTC

On 2023-11-10 16:53, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-11-10 13:40, Alan Browne- wrote:

>>> Did you change all the date formats to be the same, or change the
>>> width of the date column in the Finder?
>>>
>>> Because I just changed my short date format from YYYY-MM-DD (all
>>> represented in digits) to YYYY-Nov-DD (year and day in digits and
>>> month as three character abbreviations) and it worked perfectly...
>>>
>>> ...provided the date column I was looking at was set to a width that
>>> required the short format.
>>
>> Which is stupid (not you, the setting).
>>
>> So
>>
>> If the column is wider I see it as Nov 10, 2023, 18:48.
>>
>> If the column is narrow I see it as 2023-11-10   .... w/o time of day.
>>

>> On Mojave it shows in ONLY as I set it to be shown (YYYY-MM-DD and time).
>>
>> Anyway, I'll have to dig around and find that command example - should
>> have bookmarked it or copied it ....
>>

> Show me a screenshot of the pertinent parts of Settings...

All there is now is "Region" and "Date Format" for short formats.

[AAA] The old panel with the "short format", "Medium", "Long", "Full"
(under "Advanced") is gone. No more. Vanished.

So, Mojave: (With all the fine options):
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/77wsfpibpop83ulewcbri/MojDates.png?rlkey=82cn1invx6awk8iiglz5kj4zw

Sonoma (And I believe Ventura): No "Advanced" button to get at the
finer selections (above AAA).
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/rw3086wig01ar2863uqch/SonDate.png?rlkey=52dx37wfeybtypkkls6bwi6ix

Re: It's a boy!

<uimsp2$38jvh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17422&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17422

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 19:34:58 -0800
 by: Alan - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 03:34 UTC

On 2023-11-10 15:23, Alan Browne- wrote:
> On 2023-11-10 16:53, Alan wrote:

>>> Which is stupid (not you, the setting).
>>>
>>> So
>>>
>>> If the column is wider I see it as Nov 10, 2023, 18:48.
>>>
>>> If the column is narrow I see it as 2023-11-10   .... w/o time of day.
>>>

>>> On Mojave it shows in ONLY as I set it to be shown (YYYY-MM-DD and
>>> time).
>>>
>>> Anyway, I'll have to dig around and find that command example -
>>> should have bookmarked it or copied it ....
>>>

>> Show me a screenshot of the pertinent parts of Settings...
>

> All there is now is "Region" and "Date Format" for short formats.
>
> [AAA] The old panel with the "short format", "Medium", "Long", "Full"
> (under "Advanced") is gone.  No more.  Vanished.
>
> So, Mojave: (With all the fine options):
> https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/77wsfpibpop83ulewcbri/MojDates.png?rlkey=82cn1invx6awk8iiglz5kj4zw
>

> Sonoma (And I believe Ventura):  No "Advanced" button to get at the
> finer selections (above AAA).
> https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/rw3086wig01ar2863uqch/SonDate.png?rlkey=52dx37wfeybtypkkls6bwi6ix

Well that makes no sense at all.

It's only showing you one date format, but the Finder isn't adopting it?

Have you force-quit the Finder (i.e. right-click "Relaunch")

Re: It's a boy!

<DjK3N.331$yAie.204@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17423&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17423

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: oneway@down.net (Alan Browne-)
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 07:19:47 -0500
 by: Alan Browne- - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 12:19 UTC

On 2023-11-10 22:34, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-11-10 15:23, Alan Browne- wrote:

>>> Show me a screenshot of the pertinent parts of Settings...
>>

>> All there is now is "Region" and "Date Format" for short formats.
>>
>> [AAA] The old panel with the "short format", "Medium", "Long", "Full"
>> (under "Advanced") is gone.  No more.  Vanished.
>>
>> So, Mojave: (With all the fine options):
>> https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/77wsfpibpop83ulewcbri/MojDates.png?rlkey=82cn1invx6awk8iiglz5kj4zw
>>

>> Sonoma (And I believe Ventura):  No "Advanced" button to get at the
>> finer selections (above AAA).
>> https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/rw3086wig01ar2863uqch/SonDate.png?rlkey=52dx37wfeybtypkkls6bwi6ix
>>

> Well that makes no sense at all.
>
> It's only showing you one date format, but the Finder isn't adopting it?
>
> Have you force-quit the Finder (i.e. right-click "Relaunch")

You're missing the point: Sonoma (perhaps Ventura) no longer has the
fine date/time settings of "short format", "Medium", "Long", "Full" -
as mentioned above.

Re: It's a boy!

<kr9oh2F2e3aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17426&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17426

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 11 Nov 2023 16:30:26 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 16:30 UTC

On 2023-11-11, Alan Browne- <oneway@down.net> wrote:

> You're missing the point: Sonoma (perhaps Ventura) no longer has the
> fine date/time settings of "short format", "Medium", "Long", "Full" -
> as mentioned above.

It really sucks that Apple sees fit to just remove functionality like
this without explanation.

JR

Re: It's a boy!

<IfO3N.2787$Ck2e.1764@fx37.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17429&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17429

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: oneway@down.net (Alan Browne-)
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 11:48:39 -0500
 by: Alan Browne- - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 16:48 UTC

On 2023-11-11 11:30, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-11-11, Alan Browne- <oneway@down.net> wrote:
>>
>> You're missing the point: Sonoma (perhaps Ventura) no longer has the
>> fine date/time settings of "short format", "Medium", "Long", "Full" -
>> as mentioned above.
>
> It really sucks that Apple sees fit to just remove functionality like
> this without explanation.

Especially since the underlying capability is still there - via issuing
commands in terminal - but they stripped out the setting UI. Maybe they
gave someone two weeks notice and he slipped this in ....

Anyway I (and others) have sent "bug" reports requesting it be restored.

My workaround also doesn't survive a re-boot, so I'll have to make it
into a script that execs on login... delays, delays ...

Re: It's a boy!

<krafgoF6avqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17433&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17433

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 11 Nov 2023 23:02:48 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 23:02 UTC

On 2023-11-11, Alan Browne- <oneway@down.net> wrote:
> On 2023-11-11 11:30, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-11-11, Alan Browne- <oneway@down.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> You're missing the point: Sonoma (perhaps Ventura) no longer has the
>>> fine date/time settings of "short format", "Medium", "Long", "Full" -
>>> as mentioned above.
>>
>> It really sucks that Apple sees fit to just remove functionality like
>> this without explanation.
>
> Especially since the underlying capability is still there - via issuing
> commands in terminal - but they stripped out the setting UI. Maybe they
> gave someone two weeks notice and he slipped this in ....

More like they often decide to redesign a user interface, and simply
don't bother to re-implement deep features in the new UI.

JR