In these matters the only certainty is that there is nothing certain. -- Pliny the Elder

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: Troubleshooting kernel panics

SubjectAuthor
* Troubleshooting kernel panicsAndré G. Isaak
+* Troubleshooting kernel panicsBob Campbell
|+- Troubleshooting kernel panicsDavid Brooks
|+* Troubleshooting kernel panicsAndré G. Isaak
||+- Troubleshooting kernel panicsDavid Brooks
||+* Troubleshooting kernel panicsAlan Browne
|||+* Troubleshooting kernel panicsgtr
|||`- It's a boy!Alan Browne
||`- It's a boy!Alan Browne-
|`- External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue-- RESOLVEDAnt
+* Troubleshooting kernel panicsAlan Browne
|`- Troubleshooting kernel panicsAndré G. Isaak
`- External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue-- RESOLVEDJolly Roger

Pages:123
Re: Troubleshooting kernel panics

<u2f1ju$24dc7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=16886&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16886

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Troubleshooting kernel panics
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 16:48:14 -0700
<u2c2d1$1hi3m$1@dont-email.me> <zAj2M.1686962$Tcw8.1072316@fx10.iad>
<u2d2ug$1psg0$1@dont-email.me> <270420230655573886%nospam@nospam.invalid>
<Iow2M.2399979$iS99.735647@fx16.iad>
<270420231137115771%nospam@nospam.invalid>
<2Iw2M.1609581$MVg8.99507@fx12.iad>
<270420231154096809%nospam@nospam.invalid>
<try2M.490558$mmyc.459761@fx37.iad> <u2eof9$22isv$1@dont-email.me>
<u2eq8v$23dvi$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Alan - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 23:48 UTC

On 2023-04-27 14:42, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2023-04-27 15:12, Alan wrote:
>> On 2023-04-27 10:39, Alan Browne wrote:
>
>>> A new Mac mini is far more that that - and has no display, keyboard
>>> or mouse in the box...
>>
>> 1. You have a keyboard and mouse already.
>>
>> 2. <https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204592>
>
> That requires that the iMac used as a monitor be bootable (and free of
> recurrent panics to be useful), and that both Macs be using High Sierra
> or earlier. Not really a useful solution.

1. Given that essentially none of the OS needs to be loaded to run
target disk mode, it's unlikely that whatever is causing the kernel
panics will raise its head.

2. 2014 can be reinstalled onto the iMac, if necessary.

3. You're simply wrong about both the iMac and the machine using it as a
monitor needing to be on High Sierra or earlier.

4. I'd still look at buying a new machine, as 9 years out of a computer
is a good long innings.

Re: Troubleshooting kernel panics

<kb0ikfFpmpkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=16887&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16887

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 28 Apr 2023 00:34:24 GMT
<u2c2d1$1hi3m$1@dont-email.me> <zAj2M.1686962$Tcw8.1072316@fx10.iad>
<u2d2ug$1psg0$1@dont-email.me> <270420230655573886%nospam@nospam.invalid>
<Iow2M.2399979$iS99.735647@fx16.iad>
<270420231137115771%nospam@nospam.invalid>
<2Iw2M.1609581$MVg8.99507@fx12.iad>
<270420231154096809%nospam@nospam.invalid>
<try2M.490558$mmyc.459761@fx37.iad> <u2eof9$22isv$1@dont-email.me>
<u2eq8v$23dvi$1@dont-email.me> <u2f1ju$24dc7$2@dont-email.me>
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 00:34 UTC

On 2023-04-27, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:
> On 2023-04-27 14:42, André G. Isaak wrote:

>>> 1. You have a keyboard and mouse already.
>>>
>>> 2. <https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204592>
>>
>> That requires that the iMac used as a monitor be bootable (and free
>> of recurrent panics to be useful), and that both Macs be using High
>> Sierra or earlier. Not really a useful solution.
>
> 1. Given that essentially none of the OS needs to be loaded to run
> target disk mode

Actually, the iMac must be booted up in macOS before it is available as
a secondary display. I have relatives that use an iMac this way, and
it's somewhat problematic, because the iMac must be booted up, and often
they must press a keyboard shortcut on a keyboard connected to the iMac
in order to reconnect to it. It also uses energy and generates more heat
than a typical display the entire time it's being used. It's not optimal
(especially on a long-term basis).

JR

Re: Troubleshooting kernel panics

<SYU2M.190228$qpNc.50870@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=16888&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16888

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 15:17:06 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 19:17 UTC

On 2023-04-27 19:48, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-04-27 14:42, André G. Isaak wrote:

>>> 1. You have a keyboard and mouse already.
>>>
>>> 2. <https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204592>
>>
>> That requires that the iMac used as a monitor be bootable (and free of
>> recurrent panics to be useful), and that both Macs be using High
>> Sierra or earlier. Not really a useful solution.
>

> 1. Given that essentially none of the OS needs to be loaded to run
> target disk mode, it's unlikely that whatever is causing the kernel
> panics will raise its head.
>
> 2. 2014 can be reinstalled onto the iMac, if necessary.
>
> 3. You're simply wrong about both the iMac and the machine using it as a
> monitor needing to be on High Sierra or earlier.

Regretfully, Mx Mac don't support it - I'd happily use this iMac (2012)
as a 2nd monitor for my new iMac.

> 4. I'd still look at buying a new machine, as 9 years out of a computer
> is a good long innings.

Apple still haven't hit my spec spot in an iMac format yet - I hope
they'll do so this June with an M3. Then I'll have a "10 year machine"
again.

Likely : 2 or even 4 TB storage
32 GB RAM
Possibly 10 Gb/s Ethernet (if they offer it).
Max USB/Thunderbolt config.
Hopefully the return of the SD slot - and hopefully side bezel - not back.

-some rumours point to the fall, however...

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”

Re: Troubleshooting kernel panics

<51V2M.506203$cKvc.361194@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=16889&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16889

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 15:21:37 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 19:21 UTC

On 2023-04-27 20:34, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-04-27, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

>>> That requires that the iMac used as a monitor be bootable (and free
>>> of recurrent panics to be useful), and that both Macs be using High
>>> Sierra or earlier. Not really a useful solution.
>>
>> 1. Given that essentially none of the OS needs to be loaded to run
>> target disk mode
>
> Actually, the iMac must be booted up in macOS before it is available as
> a secondary display. I have relatives that use an iMac this way, and
> it's somewhat problematic, because the iMac must be booted up, and often
> they must press a keyboard shortcut on a keyboard connected to the iMac
> in order to reconnect to it. It also uses energy and generates more heat
> than a typical display the entire time it's being used. It's not optimal
> (especially on a long-term basis).

I heat with electricity so for 6+ months of the year the energy is no
issue - it ends up in the house - and the rest of the time it's CAD 6.5¢
/ kWh.

At rest (display on) the iMac (2012) uses about 70W.

So even 24h would be about 11 cents per day in the non-heating months.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”
- J Michael Luttig - 2022-06-16
- Former US appellate court judge (R) testifying to the January 6
committee

Re: Troubleshooting kernel panics

<u2jfek$30m9s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=16890&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16890

From: xxx@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 16:08:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 16:08 UTC

On Apr 27, 2023 at 8:16:20 AM PDT, "Alan Browne" <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
wrote:

> On 2023-04-27 01:58, gtr wrote:
>> On Apr 26, 2023 at 5:45:18 PM PDT, "Alan Browne" <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
>> wrote:

>>> It's not that hard. It does take a lot of room and a few unusual tools
>>> like a guitar pick to unseal the unit and maybe a suction cup to pull
>>> the display out.
>>>
>>> Of course re-sealing it requires a new gasket which you can get from
>>> iFixIt (along with the tools to take it apart ... good time to upgrade
>>> the drive while you're in there too...).
>>>
>>> Just watch the video "how to"'s first to avoid possible "bad things".
>>>
>>> That said I'd only go in there if other avenue are exhausted.
>>
>> I'd fork over a few bucks and have a local mac fixit shop take care of it. I
>> also don't do yard chores.
>
> Your choice. It's just the "fear" of breach is overblown IMO.
>
> Nobody cares about your aversion to yard chores.

I was trying to be light-hearted. I'll try to remember your name and avoid
that in the future.

Re: Troubleshooting kernel panics

<Y1d3M.1637972$MVg8.1399877@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=16891&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16891

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 14:07:52 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 18:07 UTC

On 2023-04-29 12:08, gtr wrote:
> On Apr 27, 2023 at 8:16:20 AM PDT, "Alan Browne" <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-04-27 01:58, gtr wrote:

>>> I'd fork over a few bucks and have a local mac fixit shop take care of it. I
>>> also don't do yard chores.
>>
>> Your choice. It's just the "fear" of breach is overblown IMO.
>>
>> Nobody cares about your aversion to yard chores.
>
> I was trying to be light-hearted. I'll try to remember your name and avoid
> that in the future.

My apology - came off as elitist to me.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”
- J Michael Luttig - 2022-06-16
- Former US appellate court judge (R) testifying to the January 6
committee

Re: Troubleshooting kernel panics

<u2n3q8$3rj8f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=16892&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16892

From: xxx@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 01:14:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Mon, 1 May 2023 01:14 UTC

On Apr 29, 2023 at 11:07:52 AM PDT, "Alan Browne" <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
wrote:

> On 2023-04-29 12:08, gtr wrote:
>> On Apr 27, 2023 at 8:16:20 AM PDT, "Alan Browne" <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Your choice. It's just the "fear" of breach is overblown IMO.
>>>
>>> Nobody cares about your aversion to yard chores.
>>
>> I was trying to be light-hearted. I'll try to remember your name and avoid
>> that in the future.
>
> My apology - came off as elitist to me.

Hey, that's cool--I like the idea of walking with a cane as something elitist,
instead of hobbled!

Re: Troubleshooting kernel panics

<JVP3M.582959$5CY7.547203@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=16893&group=comp.sys.mac.system#16893

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 10:21:29 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Mon, 1 May 2023 14:21 UTC

On 2023-04-30 21:14, gtr wrote:
> On Apr 29, 2023 at 11:07:52 AM PDT, "Alan Browne" <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-04-29 12:08, gtr wrote:

>>> I was trying to be light-hearted. I'll try to remember your name and avoid
>>> that in the future.
>>
>> My apology - came off as elitist to me.
>
> Hey, that's cool--I like the idea of walking with a cane as something elitist,
> instead of hobbled!

Changed to the summer (4 season) tires the other day for 2 cars (keep
winter tires on steel rims), after that felt like I need a cane.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”
- J Michael Luttig - 2022-06-16
- Former US appellate court judge (R) testifying to the January 6
committee

Re: Troubleshooting kernel panics

<none-D43A4C.23291625042023@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17392&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17392

From: none@none.none (Bob Campbell)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 23:29:16 -0400
 by: Bob Campbell - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 03:29 UTC

In article <u29ug2$139bj$1@dont-email.me>,
André G. Isaak <agisaak@gm.invalid> wrote:

> Starting about 2 weeks ago, my 2014 iMac started suffering from kernel
> panics, averaging around 2/day (as opposed to probably less than once a
> year prior to that).
>
> Does anyone have suggestions for any utilities that might be able to
> diagnose RAM issues and/or drive issues and/or any other sort of
> hardware issue that might lead to kernel panics? I don't want to replace
> the whole system if the problem is with a single peripheral or DIMM.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The first hardware thing to check is, are the fans working? Air vents
not blocked with dust? No dust on the CPU heat sink? An overheating
CPU will crash.

Next, I would rotate the RAM into different slots. If there is a bad
DIMM, moving the bad one to a slot where perhaps the kernel is not
living will stop the panics. Even just removing them and re-seating
them can cure it if it is just a bad connection.

While you are in there, re-seat any power connections and drive
connections that are plugged in. Fluctuating power is a common cause of
flaky hardware. But fluctuating power can also be a sign of a failing
power supply. Re-seating cables is the first, easy thing to do.
From: gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Rapid Security Responses for macOS Ventura 13.4.1
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 05:53:51 -0000 (UTC)

On Jul 10, 2023 at 9:25:26 PM PDT, "Alan" <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

> On 2023-07-10 21:02, johnson wrote:
>> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.system.]
>> On 2023-07-10, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>>> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213825
>>
>> appears to have been pulled
>
> No... ...it doesn't.

it has! Quite the anomaly...

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/07/10/apple-pulls-ios-16-5-1-macos-13-4-1-rsrs/
From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Apple wins for its highlighted texts to speech to talk in their software.
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.systems,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 19:16:48 +0000

Apple wins for its highlighted texts to speech to talk in their
software. Windows 10's Narrator sucks. It doesn't even let you highlight
texts to speak outloud. :( Apple made it SO easy in macOS and iOS. I still
haven't found any offline (no Internet) free third party apps that can
do it easily and simple. Apple wins this part for me. :)
--
"Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others." --1 Corinthians 10:24. Dang old bodies, sprinklers, humans, companies, colony, etc.
| |o o| |
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 16:46:17 -0400

On 2023-09-30 14:12, Connor Shannon wrote:

> The software is in MacOS it doesn't matter what kind of UPS it is. System settings, Energy saver, UPS options. I have it set to close down when the UPS gets down to 10%. So it won't be any kind of sudden shutdown. MacOS will close the open programs. I just don't know what happens if it can't close a pgm b'cuz something wasn't saved. If it was important to save I would of saved it but sometimes like the other night I'd made a little comment on a PDF so it wouldn't close till I said whether to save it. No big deal but will it stop the shutdown and then stay on until the UPS dies?
>
> So does the Mac skip that program and close the others or does it just give up and shut down suddenly or does it not shut down at all?

My recollection of it is that the Mac would shut down. Maybe save the
state of the open-file-program so the work before saving the file is
also conserved.

MS Office products (Excel, Word, etc.) make a backup of WIP every 10
minutes or so you're fairly safe there UPS or not.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

.
From: Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: where's nospam?
Date: 14 Oct 2023 02:49:42 GMT

On 2023-10-14, Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote
>
>> Nah. I very much look forward to the day you trolls no longer disrupt
>> this newsgroup. My concern is: when will that be?
>
> you iKooks
> you an iKook by now.
> All iKooks
> uneducated
> ignorant
> low IQ
> iKooks
> stupid
> iKooks
> iKooks
> iKooks

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Troubleshooting kernel panics

<u2c2d1$1hi3m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17395&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17395

From: agisaak@gm.invalid (André G. Isaak)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 14:43:07 -0600
 by: André G. Isaak - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 20:43 UTC

On 2023-04-25 21:29, Bob Campbell wrote:
> In article <u29ug2$139bj$1@dont-email.me>,
> André G. Isaak <agisaak@gm.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Starting about 2 weeks ago, my 2014 iMac started suffering from kernel
>> panics, averaging around 2/day (as opposed to probably less than once a
>> year prior to that).
>>
>> Does anyone have suggestions for any utilities that might be able to
>> diagnose RAM issues and/or drive issues and/or any other sort of
>> hardware issue that might lead to kernel panics? I don't want to replace
>> the whole system if the problem is with a single peripheral or DIMM.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> The first hardware thing to check is, are the fans working? Air vents
> not blocked with dust? No dust on the CPU heat sink? An overheating
> CPU will crash.

Sadly, I'm not qualified to take my iMac apart to do this, but I don't
think there's a problem with my CPU overhearing. I can monitor the CPU
temp and fan speed with iStat Menus and there doesn't seem to be any
problems.

> Next, I would rotate the RAM into different slots. If there is a bad
> DIMM, moving the bad one to a slot where perhaps the kernel is not
> living will stop the panics. Even just removing them and re-seating
> them can cure it if it is just a bad connection.
>
> While you are in there, re-seat any power connections and drive
> connections that are plugged in. Fluctuating power is a common cause of
> flaky hardware. But fluctuating power can also be a sign of a failing
> power supply. Re-seating cables is the first, easy thing to do.

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought to verify the RAM seating
or to rotate the DIMMs. I will give that a shot (the other cables I've
verified already).

André

--
To email remove 'invalid' & replace 'gm' with well known Google mail
service.
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 11:07:48 -0400

On 2023-07-11 00:02, johnson wrote:
> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.system.]
> On 2023-07-10, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213825
>
> appears to have been pulled

No.

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase

.
From: Patrick <patrick@oleary.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 05:25:36 +0800

On Fri, 08 Sep 2023 19:16:48 +0000, Ant wrote:
> Apple wins for its highlighted texts to speech to talk in their
> software.

Does Apple's iOS have an app that speaks an entire PDF file?
--
The kind of PDF that has text - not the image-kind of PDF file.
Subject: Re: Sonoma 14.0
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 16:54:07 -0400

On 2023-09-30 15:43, Bud Frede wrote:
> Bob Campbell <nunya@none.none> writes:
>
>> Percival John Hackworth <pjh@nanoworks.com> wrote:

>>> I'm cautious and will wait until 14.1 in December.
>>
>> This.
>>
>> I always wait until the x.1 release. Sometimes even the x.1.1. Of
>> anything. I am on 16.7 on this iPad Pro. Don’t need 17 yet.
>>
>> Although I see it is up to 17.0.2 already. Gee I wonder why?
>
> I thought that was due to some recent security issues? Maybe the webp
> one?

Not security related. Per Apple: <iOS 17.0.2
This update has no published CVE entries.>

From: Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Still too hot after iOS 17.0.3
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 13:11:28 -0400

Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote

> <https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/3333708>
> <https://www.samsung.com/sg/support/mobile-devices/what-to-do-if-your-galaxy-s23-device-is-overheating/>
> <https://bgr.com/tech/galaxy-s22-overheating-might-not-just-be-samsungs-fault/>
> <https://phoneswiz.com/fix-oneplus-11-overheating-issue/>
> <https://www.techradar.com/news/pixel-7-and-6-units-have-been-overheating-but-google-has-a-fix-for-that>
> ...the list goes on...
>
> But we're all supposed to ignore these. They are all different. And so
> is the iPhone.

Do you know why *iKooks always blame someone else* for Apple's own flaws?

I do.

HINT: Nobody on the _adult_ OS newsgroups uses Apple as an excuse for why
their product has whatever flaws it has - it's something only iKooks do.
From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Re: External USB SSD Disk Utility/First Aid Issue-- RESOLVED
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2023 20:26:41 +0000

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17398&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17398

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 20:45:18 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 00:45 UTC

From: Woozy Song <suzyw0ng@outlook.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Rapid Security Responses for iOS 16.5.1 and iPadOS 16.5.1
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 08:53:22 +0800

badgolferman wrote:

> https://arstechnica.com/security/2023/07/apple-releases-quickly-pulls-rapid-security-response-update-for-0-day-webkit-bug/

Apple is going through teething pains which every other operating system
when through years ago, since only Apple releases a monolith anymore.

Due to Apple's antiquated error prone release mechanism, they are having
teething flaws, which are to be expected as Apple tries to catch up to the
modern world using a release mechanism that allows for incremental updates.

Apple releases, quickly pulls Rapid Security Response update
for 0-day WebKit bug
Update for iOS 16, macOS Ventura can be uninstalled
if you're having problems.

ANDREW CUNNINGHAM - 7/11/2023, 2:52 PM

Yesterday, Apple published a new Rapid Security Response update for iOS 16,
iPadOS 16, and macOS Ventura to patch yet another actively exploited WebKit
code execution bug. But shortly after installation, users began having
issues accessing certain websites, and Apple has apparently pulled the
update to fix the problem.

According to MacRumors, affected sites include Facebook, Instagram,
WhatsApp, and Zoom, which began showing warning messages about not being
supported following the update.

Luckily for anyone who has installed it, Rapid Security Response updates
can be removed just as quickly as they were installed; on iOS, navigate to
the About page in the Settings app, tap on your iOS version, and then tap
"Remove Security Response."

The benefit of Rapid Security Response updates is that they're small in
size and quick to install (which makes one wonder why is the last operating
system vendor to shed the behemoth of the monolith for incremental
patches). One has to wonder what took Apple so long to get the idea?

The answer is in the two words: Walled Garden

The updates Apple has released so far have required a restart on my
devices, but total downtime was much less than it was for a typical
software update.

This is because Apple has stored many Safari and WebKit components outside
of the main Signed System Volume (SSV), a tamper-proof read-only volume for
most system files that must be mounted separately, patched, and re-sealed
every time most system updates are installed.

Everything about the Apple release mechanism stinks of its walled garden
antiquated design, which is _why_ Apple systems are the most exploited.

The downside of Rapid Security Response updates is that they may not be
tested as thoroughly as some system updates; Apple is currently on its
fifth developer betas of iOS 16.6 and macOS 13.5, and both updates have
been in testing since mid-May. Though you'll typically want to install them
quickly because the bugs they're patching tend to be severe, you may
occasionally run into problems.

The decision you have to make is do you suffer the inevitable teething
pains because Apple never tests their releases - or do you suffer exploits.

WebKit vulnerabilities in iOS tend to be especially severe since any app
that wants to render web content needs to use a webview powered by the
built-in WebKit engine used by Safari.

WebKit is why there can never be real privacy on any iOS or MacOS device.
https://support.torproject.org/tormobile/tormobile-3/

This includes third-party browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and
Microsoft Edge, which can't use their own native rendering engines on iOS
or iPadOS the way they can on macOS, Windows, or other platforms. Apple has
long maintained that this restriction improves security on the platform.

And yet, not only is WebKit the source of most of Apple's zero-click
zero-day holes, but Apple lied about the security they claim it offers.

Apple announced the Rapid Security Response feature as part of iOS 16 and
macOS Ventura last June but didn't actually start using the feature
publicly until a couple of months ago.

It's good that Apple's antiquated release mechanism is intended to be
upgraded to the same incremental hotfix method that every other operating
system uses - but for Apple - this leap into modern methods is difficult.

When contacted for comment, an Apple spokesperson pointed us to this
support document, which says that new iOS/iPadOS 16.5.1 (b) and macOS
13.4.1 (b) Rapid Security Response updates will be available to resolve the
issues soon.

Let's hope.
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Subject: history of OS "popularity" over time, video graphic
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 16:47:10 -0400

https://youtu.be/B7fVOW-zNQI

From: Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Ming-Chi Kuo explains the iPhone 15 overheating design flaws
Date: 30 Sep 2023 21:03:26 GMT
<uevvp1$2omhf$3@dont-email.me> <knhjs4FokktU2@mid.individual.net>
<uf0m0e$2faov$1@paganini.bofh.team>
<0001HW.2AC4F5620000D6097000008C32CF@news.eternal-september.org>
<uf2hgs$3bnpu$1@dont-email.me> <knk7ghF73klU4@mid.individual.net>
<uf2shu$3gvck$2@dont-email.me> <uf4307$3nj04$1@dont-email.me>
<knllcmFecn7U1@mid.individual.net> <uf4oam$3rnr1$1@dont-email.me>
<0001HW.2AC646C6001CD8927000006B72CF@news.eternal-september.org>
<knmundFl0ppU2@mid.individual.net> <uf5kkg$30in5$1@paganini.bofh.team>
<0HGRM.329263$ZXz4.303092@fx18.iad> <uf7m2r$gc5l$1@dont-email.me>
<wuKRM.207900$Hih7.57774@fx11.iad> <uf802i$lm86$1@dont-email.me>
<uf82oi$3p4tc$1@news.samoylyk.net> <knphajF39egU1@mid.individual.net>
<uf86jf$fg0t$4@dont-email.me> <uf871i$mqvs$1@dont-email.me>
<H2VRM.43668$q0k.107@fx34.iad> <uf9b78$u6b2$1@dont-email.me>
<uf9glt$v433$3@dont-email.me> <m%%RM.216298$Hih7.172201@fx11.iad>

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Troubleshooting kernel panics

<u2d2ug$1psg0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17399&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17399

From: xxx@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 05:58:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: gtr - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 05:58 UTC

From: gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 04:58:37 -0000 (UTC)

On Jul 11, 2023 at 5:29:53 PM PDT, "Wally J" <walterjones@invalid.nospam>
wrote:

> gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote
>
>>> If you're on any other operating system other than iOS 16, you're fucked.
>>> The only operating system less secure than Apple's OS's are Micsrosofts.
>>>
>>> Specifically, *Android is _ten times LESS EXPLOITED_ than iOS* is.
>>> https://www.cisa.gov/known-exploited-vulnerabilities-catalog
>>>

>> It is a great idea, so let's talk about how Android is the second coming of
>> Jesus!
>
> Please don't ascribe religion to realism.
>
> The religious zealots know nothing about the iPhone in the real world.
> https://www.cisa.gov/known-exploited-vulnerabilities-catalog
>
> Alan Browne. Jolly Roger. Joerg Lorenze. Bob Campbell. nospam.
> None of them knows anything at all about the iPhone in the real world.
>
> All they read are the very pretty nicely written marketing white papers.
> In Apple's white papers, a zero-click zero-day exploit is impossible.
>
> Yet in the real world *iPhones are exploited _10 times more_ than Android.*
>
> Android has more malware (which is avoided by not installing dodgy apps).
> The iPhone has ten times as many huge wide-open EXPLOITED security holes.
>
> That's reality.
> Not religion.

I see.

Android is Jesus! Praise our lord Jesus, unless your are Satan.
From: Fishrrman <Fishrrman2000@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 19:40:31 -0400

On 9/10/23 4:47 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

> https://youtu.be/B7fVOW-zNQI

Looks like with the past 3 years or so, Mac OS has enjoyed
it greatest popularity ever.
From: Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 14:06:09 -0700
<uevta4$2oc1c$1@dont-email.me> <uevvp1$2omhf$3@dont-email.me>

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17400&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17400

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 06:55:57 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 10:55 UTC

In article <u2d2ug$1psg0$1@dont-email.me>, gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote:

> I'd fork over a few bucks and have a local mac fixit shop take care of it. I
> also don't do yard chores.

not worth it for a mac that old.
From: gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 04:59:29 -0000 (UTC)

On Jul 11, 2023 at 8:07:48 AM PDT, "Alan Browne" <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
wrote:

> On 2023-07-11 00:02, johnson wrote:
>> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.system.]
>> On 2023-07-10, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>>> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213825
>>
>> appears to have been pulled
>
> No.

Yes.
From: Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 04:46:49 -0400

rdh <rdh@tilde.institute> wrote

> The reason I switched from Android to Apple, is because I was tired of
> phones that only get 18-24 months of security updates, and sometimes
> don't even get feature updates. That many iPhones kept getting updates
> six or more years after launch was just too good to pass up.

Hi rdh,

Given iKooks are always ignorant of the truth about Apple products...

By now you should no longer be ignorant of how bad Apple support is.
Apple support is the worst of all common consumer electronic platforms.

By now you should be informed Apple fully supports only a single release.
Meanwhile _every_ other platform often fully supports multiple releases.

And you should be informed EVERYTHING on that iOS monolith becomes
_instantly_ unsupported the moment Apple stops supporting that 1 release.

Meanwhile on _every other common consumer platform_, the drivers, and the
default system apps and the core modules, etc., are supported for as long
as a decade or more.

Android still fully supports all Android 10 and up phones for up to 37 core
modules which are automatically updated over the Internet every single day.

Even Qualcomm firmware drivers are supported seamlessly over the Internet.
All of this you were completely ignorant of before - but no longer.

Do you agree now that Apple support is easily the worst in the industry?

BTW, check out the battery in my free 3-year old Andriod phone...
<https://i.postimg.cc/cHVNcCjW/battery01.jpg>

You never need to charge it overnight.
You charge it when it needs to be charged.
And that takes about an hour.

Using the charger that came with the free Android phone.
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
<ufa2k2$14h0v$1@dont-email.me>
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 17:15:54 -0400

On 2023-09-30 17:06, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-09-30 14:00, Alan Browne wrote:

>>> That's SolidWorks fault.
>>>
>>> But...
>>>
>>> <https://www.reddit.com/r/SolidWorks/comments/11v5149/solidworks_2023_running_on_macbook_pro_14_m1_pro/>
>>>
>>> Running on an M1 Pro MacBook Pro.
>>
>> In a VM (Parallels).
>>

> Yup.
>
> So what?

It's good thing. But I'd need to see it render a large, complex project
before cheering it completely.

From: Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 15:06:51 -0700

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Troubleshooting kernel panics

<9lw2M.2399978$iS99.2058206@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17401&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17401

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 11:16:20 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 15:16 UTC

From: alien <alien@invalid.address>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.software,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.systems
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 00:04:32 GMT

On 10 Jul 2023 at 21:48:03 CEST, "Ant" <Ant> wrote:

> <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213825>

They just re update it with

macOS Ventura 13.4.1 c
Released July 12, 2023

Rapid Security Response macOS Ventura 13.4.1 (c) includes the security content
of Rapid Security Response macOS Ventura 13.4.1 (a) and fixes an issue that
prevents some websites from displaying properly.

So far it looks fine on my mac.

--
-alien-
~ Work like you don't need the money. ~
From: candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Consumer friendly trend - replaceable battery & the longest
hardware & software & warranty support in the industry
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 07:43:32 -0500

On 9/11/23 03:46, Wally J wrote:
> And you should be informed EVERYTHING on that iOS monolith becomes
> _instantly_ unsupported the moment Apple stops supporting that 1 release.
>
> Meanwhile on _every other common consumer platform_, the drivers, and the
> default system apps and the core modules, etc., are supported for as long
> as a decade or more.

Geezus, now I'm sad I'm stuck with an iPhone.

> Android still fully supports all Android 10 and up phones for up to 37 core
> modules which are automatically updated over the Internet every single day.
>
> Even Qualcomm firmware drivers are supported seamlessly over the Internet.
> All of this you were completely ignorant of before - but no longer.
>
> Do you agree now that Apple support is easily the worst in the industry?

I also dislike how they don't have any kind of compatibility mode for
software "made for older versions". At the very least, they don't
outright remove it from your phone on update.

.
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
<knrgouFc565U17@mid.individual.net>
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 17:16:49 -0400

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17402&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17402

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 11:20:08 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 15:20 UTC

On 2023-04-27 06:55, nospam wrote:

>> I'd fork over a few bucks and have a local mac fixit shop take care of it. I
>> also don't do yard chores.
>
> not worth it for a mac that old.

Sure it is. But while it's in the shop (or on the operating dining
table), might as well upgrade the disk too.

My iMac is even older ... aside from higher resolution video rendering,
it's perfectly fine and fast. Just starting to show "ecosphere
incompatibility syndrome" as all other devices here are more recent.

This iMac will end up as a server, I suppose.

Waiting on the elusive M3 iMac... hopefully in June ... some rumours
point to the fall.

From: Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 15:29:09 -0400

gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote

>> That's reality.
>> Not religion.
>
> I see.
>
> Android is Jesus! Praise our lord Jesus, unless your are Satan.

No. You don't understand. Nobody says Android is a religion.
People on Android read the news about how Android works.

It's mainly you iMorons who never read anything about how Apple works.

If someone tells you that Android has been creating hotfix patches since
about Android 10, then that's simply a reality that Android has been
patched for many years via about a half dozen separate patch methods.

It all happens every day, by the billions, under the covers, using the
Google Play Update mechanism which is the default on every Android phone.

What's different with iOS is that Apple has used a highly backward
single-slab monolith walled garden iOS release since the inception of iOS.

That ancient method was how people did operating systems back in the 1950s
and 1960s, but every company abandoned the single slab - except for Apple.

Like Moses and the single slab ten commandments, you Apple iNuts have
hailed that single-slab release as a religious embodiment of Apple's Jesus.

And yet, even Apple had to finally join the modern world by adding to iOS
16 for the first time in Apple's history the ability to patch a single bug.

That's the RSR.

And since Apple has never patched a single bug in their history prior to
iOS 16, it's obvious that Apple is having teething pains joining the modern
world.

That is just what's happening to Apple.
It has nothing to do with Android as much as you'd like to make it so.

Apple is simply copying what every other operating system has always done.
Patch a bug as fast as possible.

Instead of taking three to six months to build & test a single-slab iOS.
This is a good thing, whether or not you iMorons even know how it works.

What's no longer amazing, actually, is how little you iKooks know of Apple.
From: Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 10:45:00 -0400

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote

>> Meanwhile on _every other common consumer platform_, the drivers, and the
>> default system apps and the core modules, etc., are supported for as long
>> as a decade or more.
>>

> Geezus, now I'm sad I'm stuck with an iPhone.

I use iOS and Android every single day - for years and years.
*The iOS devices are all garbage compared to Android*

It's not so much that the iOS devices lack useful hardware.
*It's that Apple drastically limits what iPhones can do*
(Google can't limit what an Android phone can do.)

Yet people love iPhones - just like people join religious cults.
*It doesn't have to make any sense why people like them.*

People are allowed to like the iPhone.

But what they should be is NOT ignorant about the alternatives if they're
going to lie repeatedly by claiming the iPhone is a God-like creature that
can do things that it simply never did - and certainly doesn't do.

The religious iKook zealots have been lying about support for years.
*The iPhone has the _shortest_ overall operating system support.*

Only someone educated in how operating systems update would understand.

I have iPads (and some in my family plan have iPhones) and those people
love them - but - get this - the iPhone owner is _always_ ignorant.

They can't be intelligent because they wasted their money for nothing.

Seriously.
*There's NOTHING useful iOS does that Android doesn't already do.*

And my Android phone was free in April of 2021 when T-Mobile gave every USA
postpaid customer a free 5G phone if they wanted it (they gave me three).

That free phone is more powerful than any iPhone ever sold, simply because
it has an sd slot, a battery that can jump-start your car, and the ability
to load thousands upon thousands (upon thousands!) of apps an iPhone can't.
>> Android still fully supports all Android 10 and up phones for up to 37 core
>> modules which are automatically updated over the Internet every single day.
>>
>> Even Qualcomm firmware drivers are supported seamlessly over the Internet.
>> All of this you were completely ignorant of before - but no longer.
>>
>> Do you agree now that Apple support is easily the worst in the industry?
>>

> I also dislike how they don't have any kind of compatibility mode for
> software "made for older versions".

Nobody knows of any end-of-life (EOL) date for half the components of the
Android operating system (e.g., mainline & treble) and another third are
always available on the play store (e.g., default apps), so there's only a
very small component of Android which isn't updated essentially forever.(1)

> At the very least, they don't
> outright remove it from your phone on update.

Classic of iPhone owners always being afraid of what isn't going to happen.
--
(1) Forever, in this case, means it's not only updated without any EOL
date, but it's open sourced so that the community can support it too.
From: Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 14:30:16 -0700
<knrgouFc565U17@mid.individual.net> <5f0SM.216301$Hih7.175947@fx11.iad>

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17403&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17403

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 11:37:11 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 15:37 UTC

In article <Iow2M.2399979$iS99.735647@fx16.iad>, Alan Browne

> >> I'd fork over a few bucks and have a local mac fixit shop take care of it.
> >> also don't do yard chores.
> >
> > not worth it for a mac that old.
>
> Sure it is. But while it's in the shop (or on the operating dining
> table), might as well upgrade the disk too.

it's a 9 year old mac that will almost certainly cost more to repair
than it's worth.
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: johnson <root@example.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 20:36:53 GMT

On 2023-07-13, Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
[stuff]

A befitting name is Wally
From: Georgemoody <arad.shafiei@icloud.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 21:16:39 +0330

On 1402-06-19 23:40:31 +0000, Fishrrman said:

> On 9/10/23 4:47 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
>>
>> https://youtu.be/B7fVOW-zNQI
>>
> Looks like with the past 3 years or so, Mac OS has enjoyed it greatest
> popularity ever.

Good to see it honestly, windows has been way too dominent, especially
in the gaming scene. wish linux and macOS could chip even more at their
market share.
--
I have no idea what I'm doing

.
From: Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Apple confirms iOS 17 fix for overheating iPhones is on the way
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 17:42:09 -0400

Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote

>> facts about Apple
>
> You have a proven track record of an inability to discern opinion from
> fact

And yet, it's obvious that Apple did not sufficiently test the defective
iPhone 15 under the rather common circumstances you said Apple blamed.
From: Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 20:56:41 -0400
References: <xn0o7zrm19lr235000@reader443.eternal-september.org> <ugeagb$3tk0s$1@dont-email.me> <OoyWM.34774$0UVe.31715@fx17.iad> <uged47$3u3g5$1@dont-email.me> <FBzWM.14955$Pb89.9079@fx36.iad> <uget6i$1l55$1@dont-email.me> <T9DWM.86013$2fS.76473@fx16.iad> <ugg1d3$c980$1@dont-email.me> <kp2k0vFa7htU1@mid.individual.net> <ugh6g0$k4n2$1@dont-email.me> <ughake$l4cb$1@dont-email.me> <kp32p4FcqkaU1@mid.individual.net> <ughmvd$nttq$1@dont-email.me> <ughnpr$o5po$1@dont-email.me> <kp3d1mFels0U1@mid.individual.net>

Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote

>> The quote was supposed to come next.
>
> The non-existent quote he's dreaming up in his hate-addled mind.

Whenever Apple's flaws are discussed you iKooks are _desperate_ to
deflect the blame to Google or Samsung - instead of addressing the issues.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/wordplay/whataboutism-origin-meaning

Whataboutism gives a clue to its meaning in its name. It is not merely the
changing of a subject ("What about the economy?") to deflect away from an
earlier subject as a political strategy; it's essentially a reversal of
accusation, arguing that an opponent is guilty of an offense just as
egregious or worse than what the original party was accused of doing,
however unconnected the offenses may be.

The tactic behind whataboutism has been around for a long time.
Rhetoricians generally consider it to be a form of tu quoque, which means
"you too" in Latin and involves charging your accuser with whatever it is
you've just been accused of rather than refuting the truth of the
accusation made against you. Tu quoque is considered to be a logical
fallacy, because whether or not the original accuser is likewise guilty of
an offense has no bearing on the truth value of the original accusation.

Whataboutism adds a twist to tu quoque by directing its energies into
establishing an equivalence between two or more disparate actions, thereby
defaming the accuser with the insinuation that their priorities are
backwards.
Subject: Re: It's a boy!
From: Alan Browne- <oneway@down.net>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 09:42:50 -0500

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17404&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17404

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 11:40:45 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 15:40 UTC

On 2023-04-27 11:37, nospam wrote:

>>> not worth it for a mac that old.
>>
>> Sure it is. But while it's in the shop (or on the operating dining
>> table), might as well upgrade the disk too.
>
> it's a 9 year old mac that will almost certainly cost more to repair
> than it's worth.

Depends on what it's used for afterwards - esp. if one does the work
themselves - it's far less daunting than people assume.

From: =?UTF-8?B?QW5kcsOpIEcuIElzYWFr?= <agisaak@gm.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Manually manage music
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 22:34:26 -0600

This isn't really a macOS question, but I thought someone here might
know the answer.

My 2014 iMac running Mojave recently died and I am now on a more recent
iMac running Monterey. Unfortunately, this unanticipated upgrade forced
me to switch from iTunes to Music.app/TV.app which I *hate*. In
particular, I want to be able to go back to manually managing the
library on my iPod. Are there any good 3rd party solutions which allow
you to manually manage the music/videos on an iPod or which allow you to
see a unified view (music AND video) of what is on an iPod.

André

--
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 14:29:20 -0400

On 2023-09-10 19:40, Fishrrman wrote:
> On 9/10/23 4:47 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
>>
>> https://youtu.be/B7fVOW-zNQI
>>
> Looks like with the past 3 years or so, Mac OS has enjoyed it greatest
> popularity ever.

A big surge for Mac OS (then OS X) was around the years where they moved
to the x66 coupled to the iPhone intro, aka halo effect.

This might not show well in the video above, but in terms of raw sales
it certainly picked up. In % terms they went from 2.5% to 5% over 5
years, but in numbers terms it was somewhat more than 2X as many units.

Personally dumped Windows for Mac in late 2007 as the Windows options
for a new machine were dismally bad.
Experiments with Linux over the course of a month or so were not
encouraging (due to apps, not the OS, simply unworkable in my
professional space).

--

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
<ufa418$14jj6$2@dont-email.me>
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 17:50:15 -0400

On 2023-09-30 17:30, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-09-30 14:16, Alan Browne wrote:

>>> And people report it works well.
>>
>> I'd have to see it on a large complex project.
>>

> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsZZW_CminM>
>
> At about 3:00 they compare some benchmarks against an HP Z8 G4
> workstation with 384GB of RAM and an nVidia 6000 GPU.
>
> The M1 Max MacBook Pro 16" was:
>
> A little (about 10%) slower in graphics.
>
> A good bit FASTER in processor benchmarking.
>
> Pretty much even in I/O
>
> And that's against a MacBook Pro with an M1 processor (albeit the "Max"
> version).

RealView performance was not great.

Quote: "It is quite usable __ depending __ on the size of the model."

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17405&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17405

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 11:54:09 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 15:54 UTC

In article <2Iw2M.1609581$MVg8.99507@fx12.iad>, Alan Browne

> >> Sure it is. But while it's in the shop (or on the operating dining
> >> table), might as well upgrade the disk too.
> >
> > it's a 9 year old mac that will almost certainly cost more to repair
> > than it's worth.
>
> Depends on what it's used for afterwards - esp. if one does the work
> themselves - it's far less daunting than people assume.

what it's used for is irrelevant. the calculation is very simple: if
the cost to replace it is less than the cost to repair, then replacing
it is a better choice, especially if the replacement has better specs.
From: Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Manually manage music
Date: 15 Jul 2023 15:22:40 GMT

On 2023-07-15, André G Isaak <agisaak@gm.invalid> wrote:
> This isn't really a macOS question, but I thought someone here might
> know the answer.
>
> My 2014 iMac running Mojave recently died and I am now on a more
> recent iMac running Monterey. Unfortunately, this unanticipated
> upgrade forced me to switch from iTunes to Music.app/TV.app which I
> *hate*.

I'm not sure why you'd *hate* the Music app, since it's mostly the same
as iTunes.

> In particular, I want to be able to go back to manually managing the
> library on my iPod. Are there any good 3rd party solutions which allow
> you to manually manage the music/videos on an iPod or which allow you
> to see a unified view (music AND video) of what is on an iPod.

Syncing is done through the Finder now, and you still have the option to
manually manage music, movies, and TV shows in the General tab.

JR
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 14:37:45 -0400

On 2023-09-11 13:46, Georgemoody wrote:

> Good to see it honestly, windows has been way too dominent, especially
> in the gaming scene. wish linux and macOS could chip even more at their
> market share.

Anything to thin the world of Windows is a good thing, but they are very
well entrenched, esp. in business.

As to gaming on Linux, there are compatibility products (one is Valve's
Proton) - but I really know very little about it.

On Mac OS, esp. in the Mx world, Apple are making strong signals to get
game co's onboard for both native apps and to provide conversion (if
that's the right term) tools for it. (Again, not my area of interest).
Article:
https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/7/23752164/apple-mac-gaming-game-porting-toolkit-windows-games-macos

From: Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 30 Sep 2023 22:01:28 GMT

On 2023-09-30, Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote
>
>>> facts about Apple
>>
>> You have a proven track record of an inability to discern opinion
>> from fact
>
> the defective iPhone 15i

False.

JR
From: Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 19:47:02 -0700

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17406&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17406

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 13:39:37 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 17:39 UTC

On 2023-04-27 11:54, nospam wrote:

>>> it's a 9 year old mac that will almost certainly cost more to repair
>>> than it's worth.
>>
>> Depends on what it's used for afterwards - esp. if one does the work
>> themselves - it's far less daunting than people assume.
>
> what it's used for is irrelevant. the calculation is very simple: if
> the cost to replace it is less than the cost to repair, then replacing
> it is a better choice, especially if the replacement has better specs.

The quoted price to replace an SSD from a downtown store here is $160 +
the price of the SSD and some parts. All in - about $350 + taxes.
(CAD). Then you have a computer that's useful for 5+ more years in a
secondary role that has plenty of oomph left.

From: Scratch <scratchnsniff@tornado.net>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Apple's description of UPDATES, UPGRADES & RAPID SECURITY RESPONSE releases
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 21:46:33 +0200

Apple's description of UPDATES, UPGRADES & RAPID SECURITY RESPONSE releases

Once you understand what a release entails, you'll realize the truth.
Apple's full release support is (by far!) the shortest in the industry.

https://screenrant.com/apple-product-security-update-lifespan/
"The support document notes that only the latest releases provide full
protection from security vulnerabilities. "Because of dependency on
architecture and system changes to any current version of macOS (for
example, macOS 13), not all known security issues are addressed in previous
versions (for example, macOS 12)," the Apple document says. Essentially,
this means that the security updates Apple issues to older operating system
versions are not fully protected. Using that logic, the iOS 15.7.1 update
may leave security vulnerabilities unaddressed that have been patched in
the iOS 16.1 updates. This means that although Apple issues security
updates to older operating systems, users should only expect their devices
to be secure during the typical five to six-year software upgrade support
window."

https://hothardware.com/news/apple-admits-only-fully-patches-security-flaws-in-latest-os-releases
"Old versions of operating systems of Apple devices do not get complete
security patches. The emphasis in the document is that there is a
difference between Upgrade and Update, at least in the Apple lexicon."

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/10/apple-clarifies-security-update-policy-only-the-latest-oses-are-fully-patched/
"Despite providing security updates for multiple versions of macOS and iOS
at any given time, Apple says that only devices running the most recent
major operating system versions should expect to be fully protected.
Throughout the document, Apple uses "upgrade" to refer to major OS releases
that can add big new features and user interface changes and "update" to
refer to smaller but more frequently released patches that mostly fix bugs
and address security problems (though these can occasionally enable minor
feature additions or improvements as well). So updating from iOS 15 to iOS
16 or macOS 12 to macOS 13 is an upgrade. Updating from iOS 16.0 to 16.1 or
macOS 12.5 to 12.6 or 12.6.1 is an update. In other words, while Apple will
provide security-related updates for older versions of its operating
systems, only the most recent upgrades will receive updates for every
security problem Apple knows about."

Note that a release is more than a kernel.
A lot more.

Most people who "think" Apple releases are supported longer than, oh, say,
Windows or Android, are wrong because they don't understand how Windows and
Android releases their software. Mainly, neither is a monoslab like Apple.

Windows is supported for so many years, the machine will fall apart before
the support ends, and even then you get a free upgrade to the next version.

So is Android, although the support varies for Android from a mere five
years to much longer than that for the underlying components (which is why
the Apple people can't understand that Android is supported for over 10
years due to the fact that the _components_ are supported for that long).

The problem is Apple-only owners don't understand what a "release" entails.
It's not just the kernel. It's more than that. A _lot_ more than that.

Only was iOS a monoslab. No other operating system. Only iOS.

As a direct result of that monoslab, iOS is ten times more exploited.
https://www.cisa.gov/known-exploited-vulnerabilities-catalog

But things are improving for chipping away at the Apple monoslab.

While Apple's iOS is _still_ mostly a monoslab (e.g., the messenger is a
key component integral with the monoslab only on iOS - and no other OS),
the new-to-iOS-16 abiltity for a "Rapid Security Response" is good news!

UPDATE monoslab vs UPGRADE monoslab vs RAPID SECURITY RESPONSE patch:
https://support.apple.com/guide/deployment/about-software-updates-depc4c80847a/

RSR patches:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201224

UPGRADES:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

Note that there is more to a release than just the bugfixes (e.g., Android
is updated every day over the Google Play Services update mechanisms), but
the bugfixes are important to be rolled out as soon as they possibly can.

Windows runs those bufixes every "patch tuesday" for example, not waiting
for a monoslab to be created (which would take three to six months to do).

Hence, I congratulate Apple for joining the rest of the world in adding
this new ability to reduce the monolithic slab a tiny bit, with the RSRs.

RSR: (only available in iOS 16 which is no longer a single monolithic slab)
RSR: (Only available in macOS 13 which never really was a single monoslab).

Apple's description of UPDATES, UPGRADES & RAPID SECURITY RESPONSE releases
From: Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 11:52:48 -0700

On 2023-09-11 11:29, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2023-09-10 19:40, Fishrrman wrote:
>> On 9/10/23 4:47 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
>>>
>>> https://youtu.be/B7fVOW-zNQI
>>>
>> Looks like with the past 3 years or so, Mac OS has enjoyed it greatest
>> popularity ever.
>
> A big surge for Mac OS (then OS X) was around the years where they moved
> to the x66 coupled to the iPhone intro, aka halo effect.
>
> This might not show well in the video above, but in terms of raw sales
> it certainly picked up.  In % terms they went from 2.5% to 5% over 5
> years, but in numbers terms it was somewhat more than 2X as many units.
>
> Personally dumped Windows for Mac in late 2007 as the Windows options
> for a new machine were dismally bad.
> Experiments with Linux over the course of a month or so were not
> encouraging (due to apps, not the OS, simply unworkable in my
> professional space).

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Troubleshooting kernel panics

<270420231403131605%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17407&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17407

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 14:03:13 -0400
References: <u29ug2$139bj$1@dont-email.me> <none-D43A4C.23291625042023@news.supernews.com> <u2c2d1$1hi3m$1@dont-email.me> <zAj2M.1686962$Tcw8.1072316@fx10.iad> <u2d2ug$1psg0$1@dont-email.me> <270420230655573886%nospam@nospam.invalid> <Iow2M.2399979$iS99.735647@fx16.iad> <270420231137115771%nospam@nospam.invalid> <2Iw2M.1609581$MVg8.99507@fx12.iad> <270420231154096809%nospam@nospam.invalid> <try2M.490558$mmyc.459761@fx37.iad>
 by: nospam - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 18:03 UTC

In article <try2M.490558$mmyc.459761@fx37.iad>, Alan Browne

> >> Depends on what it's used for afterwards - esp. if one does the work
> >> themselves - it's far less daunting than people assume.
> >
> > what it's used for is irrelevant. the calculation is very simple: if
> > the cost to replace it is less than the cost to repair, then replacing
> > it is a better choice, especially if the replacement has better specs.
>
> The quoted price to replace an SSD from a downtown store here is $160 +
> the price of the SSD and some parts. All in - about $350 + taxes.
> (CAD). Then you have a computer that's useful for 5+ more years in a
> secondary role that has plenty of oomph left.

interesting definition of useful, given that that it kernel panics
twice a day:

at least with an ssd, booting will be faster after it panics, so all is
not lost.

kernel panics are generally hardware. fixing that is not going to be
worth it unless the fix is very simple, such as a loose cable that can
be reseated. while possible, it's very unlikely it is that simple.

> A new Mac mini is far more that that - and has no display, keyboard or
> mouse in the box...

who said anything about new mac or switching to a mac mini?

a used 2014 imac is cheap, less than $350 on ebay. a quick check shows
a bunch around $200, one as low as $50 (working, but poor condition).
From: Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Apple's description of UPDATES, UPGRADES & RAPID SECURITY
RESPONSE releases
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 13:08:00 -0700

On 2023-07-15 12:46, Scratch wrote:
> Apple's description of UPDATES, UPGRADES & RAPID SECURITY RESPONSE releases
>
> Once you understand...

....that this is just your latest posting nym, Arlen?

Yes: I'll understand that one should ignore it.

:-)

.
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 15:24:48 -0400

On 2023-09-11 14:52, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-09-11 11:29, Alan Browne wrote:

>>> Looks like with the past 3 years or so, Mac OS has enjoyed it
>>> greatest popularity ever.
>>
>> A big surge for Mac OS (then OS X) was around the years where they
>> moved to the x66 coupled to the iPhone intro, aka halo effect.
>>
>> This might not show well in the video above, but in terms of raw sales
>> it certainly picked up.  In % terms they went from 2.5% to 5% over 5
>> years, but in numbers terms it was somewhat more than 2X as many units.
>>
>> Personally dumped Windows for Mac in late 2007 as the Windows options
>> for a new machine were dismally bad.
>> Experiments with Linux over the course of a month or so were not
>> encouraging (due to apps, not the OS, simply unworkable in my
>> professional space).
>>

> Exactly.
>
> The surge was the introduction of Windows 8 and Windows 10, which were
> both so different from what came before that a lot of people said "Why
> not try macOS?"

I don't care about changes to the OS per se[1].

The issue was with Windows Vista which was introduced in 2007 a lot of
hardware (esp. new h/w like in the new PC's I was looking at)
unsupported by drivers and/or poorly implemented.

Phoned up the local Apple store in the morning to see if they had a
specific config. in stock. They did. Picked it up over lunch.

They even delivered it to me by the back door (at a mall) so I wouldn't
have to lug it around.

[1] Having said that, most Windows "changes" are cosmetic and deck chair
shuffling w/o really improving the OS at all.... (Run Win 10 at work for
accounting, regrettably).

--

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system
<ufa418$14jj6$2@dont-email.me> <rK0SM.219452$Hih7.201309@fx11.iad>
<ufa92i$15gb9$2@dont-email.me>
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 19:00:41 -0400

On 2023-09-30 18:56, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-09-30 14:50, Alan Browne wrote:

>>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsZZW_CminM>
>>>
>>> At about 3:00 they compare some benchmarks against an HP Z8 G4
>>> workstation with 384GB of RAM and an nVidia 6000 GPU.
>>>
>>> The M1 Max MacBook Pro 16" was:
>>>
>>> A little (about 10%) slower in graphics.
>>>
>>> A good bit FASTER in processor benchmarking.
>>>
>>> Pretty much even in I/O
>>>
>>> And that's against a MacBook Pro with an M1 processor (albeit the
>>> "Max" version).
>>
>> RealView performance was not great.
>>
>> Quote:  "It is quite usable __ depending __ on the size of the model."
>
> On a far-from-fastest Mac...
>

>> Quote:(ish - using the transcript extraction) "there can be no doubt
>> about the fact that running a cpu intensive piece of software like
>> solidworks on an m1 macbook especially the first gen laptop is far
>> from ideal if you consider yourself a heavy user "
>
> Exactly.
>
> So he compared one of the fastest workstations available with 384GB of
> RAM to a MacBook Pro with a first generation Mx processor.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Troubleshooting kernel panics

<u2eh6l$220l0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17408&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17408

From: agisaak@gm.invalid (André G. Isaak)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 13:07:59 -0600
<u2c2d1$1hi3m$1@dont-email.me> <zAj2M.1686962$Tcw8.1072316@fx10.iad>
<u2d2ug$1psg0$1@dont-email.me> <270420230655573886%nospam@nospam.invalid>
<Iow2M.2399979$iS99.735647@fx16.iad>
<270420231137115771%nospam@nospam.invalid>
<2Iw2M.1609581$MVg8.99507@fx12.iad>
<270420231154096809%nospam@nospam.invalid>
<try2M.490558$mmyc.459761@fx37.iad>
<270420231403131605%nospam@nospam.invalid>
 by: André G. Isaak - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 19:07 UTC

On 2023-04-27 12:03, nospam wrote:

>>> what it's used for is irrelevant. the calculation is very simple: if
>>> the cost to replace it is less than the cost to repair, then replacing
>>> it is a better choice, especially if the replacement has better specs.
>>
>> The quoted price to replace an SSD from a downtown store here is $160 +
>> the price of the SSD and some parts. All in - about $350 + taxes.
>> (CAD). Then you have a computer that's useful for 5+ more years in a
>> secondary role that has plenty of oomph left.
>
> interesting definition of useful, given that that it kernel panics
> twice a day:

Exactly. Right now I don't consider it very useful until I can track
down the source of these panics. I'm certainly not going to be investing
money in it when, for all I know, the CPU or GPU is gone flaky on me.

Unfortunately, the troubleshooting is going slowly because the panics
are frequent enough that they prevent me from doing actual work, but
infrequent enough that it takes a long time to test each possibility
(e.g. I can remove one drive, use it for a day or two, get a panic, and
conclude that that drive was not the problem, so that's two days spent
ruling out a single possible cause).

André

From: =?UTF-8?B?QW5kcsOpIEcuIElzYWFr?= <agisaak@gm.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 14:34:43 -0600

On 2023-07-15 09:22, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-07-15, André G Isaak <agisaak@gm.invalid> wrote:
>> This isn't really a macOS question, but I thought someone here might
>> know the answer.
>>
>> My 2014 iMac running Mojave recently died and I am now on a more
>> recent iMac running Monterey. Unfortunately, this unanticipated
>> upgrade forced me to switch from iTunes to Music.app/TV.app which I
>> *hate*.
>
> I'm not sure why you'd *hate* the Music app, since it's mostly the same
> as iTunes.

Except it lacks the ability to copy songs from the mac to the iPod.

>> In particular, I want to be able to go back to manually managing the
>> library on my iPod. Are there any good 3rd party solutions which allow
>> you to manually manage the music/videos on an iPod or which allow you
>> to see a unified view (music AND video) of what is on an iPod.
>
> Syncing is done through the Finder now, and you still have the option to
> manually manage music, movies, and TV shows in the General tab.

The problem is that I don't want to *sync* the iPod. The iPod contains a
substantial amount of music which isn't on my current mac and which I do
not want to be deleted. With iTunes, I could simply copy music files
from the computer to the iPod without it having an effect on the
existing contents of the iPod. With the finder's sync function it warns
me that the contents of the iPod will be erased and replaced with the
contents of the music library on the computer which I don't want.

André

From: Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 12:55:02 -0700

On 2023-09-11 12:24, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2023-09-11 14:52, Alan wrote:

>>> A big surge for Mac OS (then OS X) was around the years where they
>>> moved to the x66 coupled to the iPhone intro, aka halo effect.
>>>
>>> This might not show well in the video above, but in terms of raw
>>> sales it certainly picked up.  In % terms they went from 2.5% to 5%
>>> over 5 years, but in numbers terms it was somewhat more than 2X as
>>> many units.
>>>
>>> Personally dumped Windows for Mac in late 2007 as the Windows options
>>> for a new machine were dismally bad.
>>> Experiments with Linux over the course of a month or so were not
>>> encouraging (due to apps, not the OS, simply unworkable in my
>>> professional space).
>>>

>> Exactly.
>>
>> The surge was the introduction of Windows 8 and Windows 10, which were
>> both so different from what came before that a lot of people said "Why
>> not try macOS?"
>
> I don't care about changes to the OS per se[1].
>
> The issue was with Windows Vista which was introduced in 2007 a lot of
> hardware (esp. new h/w like in the new PC's I was looking at)
> unsupported by drivers and/or poorly implemented.
>
> Phoned up the local Apple store in the morning to see if they had a
> specific config. in stock.  They did.  Picked it up over lunch.
>
> They even delivered it to me by the back door (at a mall) so I wouldn't
> have to lug it around.
>
> [1] Having said that, most Windows "changes" are cosmetic and deck chair
> shuffling w/o really improving the OS at all.... (Run Win 10 at work for
> accounting, regrettably).

I'll respectfully disagree. OS UI matters almost more than anything to
people.

Microsoft decided that "one UI for everything" was a good idea, and it
alienated a lot of users. They were suddenly struggling to use the OS.

Case in point, my aunt, aged about 70 at the time, struck out on her own
to buy her second computer when her original second hand XP system
needed replacement.

She went to the big box stores, and she was confronted by computers
running Windows 8, and basically immediately called me to say she'd like
to try a Mac because of it; if it was all going to be such a change.
From: Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Apple support "was" the worst in the industry - but maybe no more in the future?
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 19:05:34 -0400

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Troubleshooting kernel panics

<uYz2M.568758$5CY7.310734@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17409&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17409

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 15:23:06 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 19:23 UTC

On 2023-04-27 14:03, nospam wrote:

>>> what it's used for is irrelevant. the calculation is very simple: if
>>> the cost to replace it is less than the cost to repair, then replacing
>>> it is a better choice, especially if the replacement has better specs.
>>
>> The quoted price to replace an SSD from a downtown store here is $160 +
>> the price of the SSD and some parts. All in - about $350 + taxes.
>> (CAD). Then you have a computer that's useful for 5+ more years in a
>> secondary role that has plenty of oomph left.
>
> interesting definition of useful, given that that it kernel panics
> twice a day:

Twisting away from things. The kernel panic is likely something that
will be resolved eventually (esp. if taken to a repaid shop that will
diagnose and fix it handily enough.

> at least with an ssd, booting will be faster after it panics, so all is
> not lost.
>
> kernel panics are generally hardware. fixing that is not going to be

Per Apple: "an error known as a kernel panic occurred, and a message
indicates that your computer restarted because of a problem.

The most likely cause is faulty software. "

> worth it unless the fix is very simple, such as a loose cable that can
> be reseated. while possible, it's very unlikely it is that simple.
>
>> A new Mac mini is far more that that - and has no display, keyboard or
>> mouse in the box...
>
> who said anything about new mac or switching to a mac mini?
>
> a used 2014 imac is cheap, less than $350 on ebay. a quick check shows
> a bunch around $200, one as low as $50 (working, but poor condition).

That's Canadian $350 that I mentioned - if done at a shop.

IAC - my point isn't about any specific case - but the case that any
computer can usually do more than become e-waste with minimal effort.

From: gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 22:53:01 -0000 (UTC)

On Jul 15, 2023 at 1:34:43 PM PDT, "André G. Isaak" <agisaak@gm.invalid>
wrote:

> On 2023-07-15 09:22, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-07-15, André G Isaak <agisaak@gm.invalid> wrote:
>>> This isn't really a macOS question, but I thought someone here might
>>> know the answer.
>>>
>>> My 2014 iMac running Mojave recently died and I am now on a more
>>> recent iMac running Monterey. Unfortunately, this unanticipated
>>> upgrade forced me to switch from iTunes to Music.app/TV.app which I
>>> *hate*.
>>
>> I'm not sure why you'd *hate* the Music app, since it's mostly the same
>> as iTunes.
>
> Except it lacks the ability to copy songs from the mac to the iPod.
>
>>> In particular, I want to be able to go back to manually managing the
>>> library on my iPod. Are there any good 3rd party solutions which allow
>>> you to manually manage the music/videos on an iPod or which allow you
>>> to see a unified view (music AND video) of what is on an iPod.
>>
>> Syncing is done through the Finder now, and you still have the option to
>> manually manage music, movies, and TV shows in the General tab.
>
> The problem is that I don't want to *sync* the iPod. The iPod contains a
> substantial amount of music which isn't on my current mac and which I do
> not want to be deleted. With iTunes, I could simply copy music files
> from the computer to the iPod without it having an effect on the
> existing contents of the iPod. With the finder's sync function it warns
> me that the contents of the iPod will be erased and replaced with the
> contents of the music library on the computer which I don't want.
>
> André

This does not address your issue, but I would recommend you copy the iPod
files to your Mac. Then you can select those files alone to be synced with
your iPod.

Back to your issue: There are number of utilities that will let you copy
files, including songs, from one device to another. If that's the source of
your hatred for the app, it might solve your problems. Seems like DaisyDisk is
one of them, but I don't have an iPod.

I assume you not open a finder window and access file storage on the iPod
directly,
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 17:01:31 -0400

On 2023-09-11 15:55, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-09-11 12:24, Alan Browne wrote:

>>> Exactly.
>>>
>>> The surge was the introduction of Windows 8 and Windows 10, which
>>> were both so different from what came before that a lot of people
>>> said "Why not try macOS?"
>>
>> I don't care about changes to the OS per se[1].
>>
>> The issue was with Windows Vista which was introduced in 2007 a lot of
>> hardware (esp. new h/w like in the new PC's I was looking at)
>> unsupported by drivers and/or poorly implemented.
>>
>> Phoned up the local Apple store in the morning to see if they had a
>> specific config. in stock.  They did.  Picked it up over lunch.
>>
>> They even delivered it to me by the back door (at a mall) so I
>> wouldn't have to lug it around.
>>
>> [1] Having said that, most Windows "changes" are cosmetic and deck
>> chair shuffling w/o really improving the OS at all.... (Run Win 10 at
>> work for accounting, regrettably).
>>

> I'll respectfully disagree. OS UI matters almost more than anything to
> people.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Troubleshooting kernel panics

<H2A2M.538143$Lfzc.7805@fx36.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17410&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17410

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
<270420231403131605%nospam@nospam.invalid> <u2eh6l$220l0$1@dont-email.me>
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 15:29:43 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 19:29 UTC

On 2023-04-27 15:07, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2023-04-27 12:03, nospam wrote:

>>> The quoted price to replace an SSD from a downtown store here is $160 +
>>> the price of the SSD and some parts.  All in - about $350 + taxes.
>>> (CAD).  Then you have a computer that's useful for 5+ more years in a
>>> secondary role that has plenty of oomph left.
>>
>> interesting definition of useful, given that that it kernel panics
>> twice a day:
>
> Exactly. Right now I don't consider it very useful until I can track
> down the source of these panics. I'm certainly not going to be investing
> money in it when, for all I know, the CPU or GPU is gone flaky on me.
>
> Unfortunately, the troubleshooting is going slowly because the panics
> are frequent enough that they prevent me from doing actual work, but
> infrequent enough that it takes a long time to test each possibility
> (e.g. I can remove one drive, use it for a day or two, get a panic, and
> conclude that that drive was not the problem, so that's two days spent
> ruling out a single possible cause).

Are there specific apps that you use a lot?

Are there specific apps that you leave "loaded" even though not used so
much?

Close as many apps as practical and keep working and see what happens.

In preferences, "Users & Groups" are there login items that can be
disabled for the time being?

One app that used to cause me complete computer freezes was Mail. This
was several versions ago, however.

Anyway - I approach this from the POV of "this can be fixed/saved" and
I'll invest x time into it and even $ if it makes sense. But - to be
sure - this iMac will be 2nd string sometime this year... but it won't
be e-waste if I can help it.

From: gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 22:54:20 -0000 (UTC)

On Jul 13, 2023 at 12:29:09 PM PDT, "Wally J" <walterjones@invalid.nospam>
wrote:

> gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote
>
>>> That's reality.
>>> Not religion.
>>
>> I see.
>>
>> Android is Jesus! Praise our lord Jesus, unless your are Satan.
>
> No. You don't understand. Nobody says Android is a religion.
> People on Android read the news about how Android works.
>
> It's mainly you iMorons who never read anything about how Apple works.
>
> If someone tells you that Android has been creating hotfix patches since
> about Android 10, then that's simply a reality that Android has been
> patched for many years via about a half dozen separate patch methods.
>
> It all happens every day, by the billions, under the covers, using the
> Google Play Update mechanism which is the default on every Android phone.
>
> What's different with iOS is that Apple has used a highly backward
> single-slab monolith walled garden iOS release since the inception of iOS.
>
> That ancient method was how people did operating systems back in the 1950s
> and 1960s, but every company abandoned the single slab - except for Apple.
>
> Like Moses and the single slab ten commandments, you Apple iNuts have
> hailed that single-slab release as a religious embodiment of Apple's Jesus.
>
> And yet, even Apple had to finally join the modern world by adding to iOS
> 16 for the first time in Apple's history the ability to patch a single bug.
>
> That's the RSR.
>
> And since Apple has never patched a single bug in their history prior to
> iOS 16, it's obvious that Apple is having teething pains joining the modern
> world.
>
> That is just what's happening to Apple.
> It has nothing to do with Android as much as you'd like to make it so.
>
> Apple is simply copying what every other operating system has always done.
> Patch a bug as fast as possible.
>
> Instead of taking three to six months to build & test a single-slab iOS.
> This is a good thing, whether or not you iMorons even know how it works.
>
> What's no longer amazing, actually, is how little you iKooks know of Apple.

The Father, the Son and the Holy Android. Cast away your graven images and
return t our Lord Android!
From: Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.os.linux
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 14:09:02 -0700

On 2023-09-11 14:01, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2023-09-11 15:55, Alan wrote:

>>> I don't care about changes to the OS per se[1].
>>>
>>> The issue was with Windows Vista which was introduced in 2007 a lot
>>> of hardware (esp. new h/w like in the new PC's I was looking at)
>>> unsupported by drivers and/or poorly implemented.
>>>
>>> Phoned up the local Apple store in the morning to see if they had a
>>> specific config. in stock.  They did.  Picked it up over lunch.
>>>
>>> They even delivered it to me by the back door (at a mall) so I
>>> wouldn't have to lug it around.
>>>
>>> [1] Having said that, most Windows "changes" are cosmetic and deck
>>> chair shuffling w/o really improving the OS at all.... (Run Win 10 at
>>> work for accounting, regrettably).
>>>

>> I'll respectfully disagree. OS UI matters almost more than anything to
>> people.
>
> "Most" people don't care.  Their whole computer world is through their
> browser.  The OS UI doesn't matter much at all.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Troubleshooting kernel panics

<u2eof9$22isv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17413&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17413

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 14:12:09 -0700
 by: Alan - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 21:12 UTC

From: Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 16 Jul 2023 01:13:13 GMT

On 2023-07-15, André G Isaak <agisaak@gm.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-07-15 09:22, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-07-15, André G Isaak <agisaak@gm.invalid> wrote:
>>> This isn't really a macOS question, but I thought someone here might
>>> know the answer.
>>>
>>> My 2014 iMac running Mojave recently died and I am now on a more
>>> recent iMac running Monterey. Unfortunately, this unanticipated
>>> upgrade forced me to switch from iTunes to Music.app/TV.app which I
>>> *hate*.
>>
>> I'm not sure why you'd *hate* the Music app, since it's mostly the
>> same as iTunes.
>
> Except it lacks the ability to copy songs from the mac to the iPod.

Have you actually tried dragging music to the iPod in the Music app?

>>> In particular, I want to be able to go back to manually managing the
>>> library on my iPod. Are there any good 3rd party solutions which
>>> allow you to manually manage the music/videos on an iPod or which
>>> allow you to see a unified view (music AND video) of what is on an
>>> iPod.
>>
>> Syncing is done through the Finder now, and you still have the option
>> to manually manage music, movies, and TV shows in the General tab.
>
> The problem is that I don't want to *sync* the iPod. The iPod contains
> a substantial amount of music which isn't on my current mac and which
> I do not want to be deleted. With iTunes, I could simply copy music
> files from the computer to the iPod without it having an effect on the
> existing contents of the iPod. With the finder's sync function it
> warns me that the contents of the iPod will be erased and replaced
> with the contents of the music library on the computer which I don't
> want.

So you've enabled "manually manage music, movies, and TV shows" in the
General tab and still can't drag music to your iPod in the Finder?

I'm doubtful of your claim that you can't drag music to the iPod either
in the Music app or in the Finder. But even if what you say is true, you
can use a third-party app to copy the music from your iPod to your Mac,
then sync it back to the iPod.

JR
From: Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Fix the Most Annoying iOS 17 Features
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 15:53:00 -0700

On 2023-09-19 14:06, Wally J wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote
>
>> Clearly not true. iOS 14 hasn't had an update in nearly two years whereas
>> 15 and 16 have had several. If you want a fully patched ios, it needs to be
>> the most recent or next most recent for a short time.
>
> FACT:
> *iOS has more than twice as many security holes as Android*

That's not a fact. That's an assertion.

Learn the difference.

> FACT
> *iOS has over ten times the number of active exploits!*

Supra.

> Much of which is due to Apple's lack of support for older iOS releases.
> <https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/10/apple-clarifies-security-update-policy-only-the-latest-oses-are-fully-patched/>
> <https://hothardware.com/news/apple-admits-only-fully-patches-security-flaws-in-latest-os-releases>
> <https://screenrant.com/apple-product-security-update-lifespan/>
>
> Unlike _every_ other operating system vendor of common consumer
> operating systems, only Apple refuses to ever fully support
> more than one release at a time.

But makes that one OS support devices up to 6 years old...

> Given iOS has the shortest support lifecycle of all smartphone
> operating systems

That's not a fact. Supra.

>, there's a good reason these are the facts:

A colon is normally followed by a list.

Happy to help the ignorant.
From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2023 01:52:45 +0000

Click here to read the complete article
Re: It's a boy!

<uilg0g$2sgkk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17414&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17414

From: rhett@tara.net (Capt'n Butler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 09:50:54 -0500
 by: Capt'n Butler - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 14:50 UTC

On 11/9/23 5:42 PM, Alan Browne- wrote:
> On 2023-11-08 11:16, Capt'n Butler wrote:
>> On 11/7/23 11:51 PM, Alan Browne- wrote:
>>>
>>> Of course I ordered it in blue - because the very bold red one is
>>> called "pink".  Can't have that.
>>>
>>> Anyway this M3 iMac is a very quick and nimble machine.
>>>
>>> Due to semi-serious prep work, setting it up was a breeze (all
>>> manual, no "migration" nonsense...)
>>>
>>> Hope to have this nice machine for the better part of a decade - or
>>> more...
>>>
>>> [iMac M3 24 GB, 2 TB]
>>>

>> What don't you like about the Migration Assistant?
>

> I used it once before and it was slow as molasses (ethernet 1 Gb/s).
>
> IAC, this gives me a chance to review what I really want to move over,
> re-do the settings from scratch, etc. and so on.  Also used it for work
> as files were copying over.  My desk is a disaster zone though - 4
> monitors at present (one is off and behind).  Old Mac is in Screen
> Sharing and in a space - so easy to pop back and forth and stay on one
> keyboard, trackpad...
>
> One nasty thing ... used to be Finder would follow my date-time
> preference (YYYY-MM-DD::HH:mm), but doesn't.  Puts it up in
> ack-basswards mode (November 9, 2023 ...
>
> The workaround for this needs some study  (need to execute some weird
> terminal command to set a format string ... sheesh!).  I'll get to it
> over the weekend once I figure it out...

Well that is a snoot full :-)

--
When did Western society decide that instead of helping mentally ill
people, we should indulge their delusions 100% and allow them to set

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: Troubleshooting kernel panics