We don't really understand it, so we'll give it to the programmers.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

SubjectAuthor
* Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopBoris
+* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopPaul
|+- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopVanguardLH
|+* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopBoris
||`- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopPaul
|`* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopAndy Burns
| +- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktoprabidPedagog
| `- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktopwasbit
`* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopJoel
 +* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopBob Henson
 |`* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopChris
 | `* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopStan Brown
 |  +* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopJack
 |  |+* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopChris
 |  ||`- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopKen Blake
 |  |`- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopStan Brown
 |  +* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopChar Jackson
 |  |+* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopStan Brown
 |  ||+* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopBob Henson
 |  |||+- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopKen Blake
 |  |||`* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopStan Brown
 |  ||| +* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopKen Blake
 |  ||| |`* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopStan Brown
 |  ||| | `- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopKen Blake
 |  ||| `* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopStan Brown
 |  |||  `- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopBob Henson
 |  ||`- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopKen Blake
 |  |`- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopKen Blake
 |  +* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopZaidy036
 |  |`* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopBen
 |  | `- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopZaidy036
 |  +- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktopwasbit
 |  +* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktoprabidPedagog
 |  |`- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopChris
 |  +* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopJohnny
 |  |+- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopBig Al
 |  |+- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktoprabidPedagog
 |  |+* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopPaul
 |  ||+* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopJohnny
 |  |||`* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktopwasbit
 |  ||| `- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopJohnny
 |  ||`- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktoprabidPedagog
 |  |`* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopChris
 |  | +- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopPaul
 |  | `* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopKen Blake
 |  |  +- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopPaul
 |  |  `* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktoprabidPedagog
 |  |   `- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopPaul
 |  `- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopChris
 `* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopPaul
  +* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopStan Brown
  |`* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopPaul
  | `* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopStan Brown
  |  `- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopPaul
  `* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopBoris
   `* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopPaul
    `* Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopStan Brown
     `- Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My DesktopKen Blake

Pages:123
Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<u6n10q$1lq1i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2247&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2247

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:32:12 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:u+2OIGPs7raC9Iko3Ale/iwo8bg=
 by: Chris - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:32 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>> Bob Henson <bob.henson@outlook.com> wrote:
>>> I too can't see why it is a problem to have a Microsoft account - mine
>>> comes in quite handy on many occasions.
>
> On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 18:33:35 -0000 (UTC), Chris wrote:
>> It's not a problem it's an annoyance. MS has managed fine for nearly 30
>> years without needing us to create an account with them simply to be able
>> to use Windows. This "feature" only benefits them. The heavy handedness is
>> unnecessary.
>
> Good answer, Chris!
>
> I'll just add that one big negative to having a Microsoft account,
> for many of us, is that it helps Microsoft to aggregate information
> about us: "we are not the customers, we are (our personal information
> is) the product."

I didn't want to get into that as that's a personal choice. Some people
think it's beneficial to have all your accounts and information in one
place.

Personally, I just don't want yet another unnecessary account. I miss the
days when the only reason an org wanted my email address was to communicate
with me i.e. about a delivery. Why do I need to create an account for
buying a shower accessory from a website I'm unlikely to ever use again?

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<u6n10s$1lq1i$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2248&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2248

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:32:12 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:icePXuKBPGYRdwxT9GBlD/BPBGo=

Jack <jack@invalid.net> wrote:

>> I play Microsoft solitaire games on my Windows 10 desktop. Many of
>> the ads -- too many to be coincidence -- are targeted at my age group
>> or residents of my small town, or both. Even without a Microsoft
>> account, Microsoft somehow knows both of those, and it's creepy. I
>> resist doing anything to make it easier for them to get more
>> information.
>>

> Does it also happen when you are offline? The trick to stop ads in
> Solitaire is to play it offline. This means unplug the Ethernet cable or
> airplane mode for Wi-Fi before launching the game.

Why should we inconvenience ourselves to work around this?

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<MPG.3ef8a7775e53497e990143@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2249&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2249

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 06:33:19 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:33 UTC

On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 21:07:40 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 16:19:51 -0700, Stan Brown
> <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> >I play Microsoft solitaire games on my Windows 10 desktop. Many of
> >the ads -- too many to be coincidence -- are targeted at my age group
> >or residents of my small town, or both. Even without a Microsoft
> >account, Microsoft somehow knows both of those, and it's creepy. I
> >resist doing anything to make it easier for them to get more
> >information.
>
> Yuck, that's why I've never even tried the Win 10 versions of MS games.
> I just bring the games forward from XP or 7, I forget which. Ads,
> especially targeted ads, would bum me out.

I did that on my Windows 10 machine, but the installer
fails on Windows 11. It's been a couple of months, so I
don't remember the exact issue, but I think it was
either a failure message at install time, or possibly a
missing DLL when I launched a game.

That said, the Windows 10 games are nicer visually than
the Windows 7 versions, they have daily challenges that
I enjoy, and the UI is better (single click is, er, a
game changer). So I put up with the ads, or take the
video ads as my cue to go to the kitchen to refill my
teacup.

I don't think I've tried the Windows 11 games yet.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA
https://BrownMath.com/

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<7LDjM.4632$IQR3.2143@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2250&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2250

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
From: rabid@pedag.og (rabidPedagog)
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 09:36:00 -0400
 by: rabidPedagog - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:36 UTC

On 2023-06-18 7:58 a.m., Johnny wrote:

>> On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 18:33:35 -0000 (UTC), Chris wrote:
>>> It's not a problem it's an annoyance. MS has managed fine for
>>> nearly 30 years without needing us to create an account with them
>>> simply to be able to use Windows. This "feature" only benefits
>>> them. The heavy handedness is unnecessary.
>>
>> Good answer, Chris!
>>
>> I'll just add that one big negative to having a Microsoft account,
>> for many of us, is that it helps Microsoft to aggregate information
>> about us: "we are not the customers, we are (our personal information
>> is) the product."
>
> It amazes me how people will put up with an operating system that
> annoys them constantly.

They do it because the alternative doesn't work at all.

--
rabidPedagog
TG: @rabidPedagog

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<u6n18f$1lql0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2251&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2251

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:36:16 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:02/WRgE97Jbi2Qa+ZdK5BWFzTxc=
 by: Chris - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:36 UTC

rabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:

>> On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 18:33:35 -0000 (UTC), Chris wrote:
>>> It's not a problem it's an annoyance. MS has managed fine for nearly 30
>>> years without needing us to create an account with them simply to be able
>>> to use Windows. This "feature" only benefits them. The heavy handedness is
>>> unnecessary.
>>
>> Good answer, Chris!
>>
>> I'll just add that one big negative to having a Microsoft account,
>> for many of us, is that it helps Microsoft to aggregate information
>> about us: "we are not the customers, we are (our personal information
>> is) the product."
>>
>> I play Microsoft solitaire games on my Windows 10 desktop. Many of
>> the ads -- too many to be coincidence -- are targeted at my age group
>> or residents of my small town, or both. Even without a Microsoft
>> account, Microsoft somehow knows both of those, and it's creepy. I
>> resist doing anything to make it easier for them to get more
>> information.
>
> Microsoft does a good job of explaining targeted ads. In the end, you're
> going to get the ads anyway; would you rather they be relevant to you or
> completely random? Those who would prefer random ones, to me, seem a
> little paranoid.

Targeted ads almost always never work and usually not your favour. Often
the recommendation for buying, e.g. flights, is to use your browser's
privacy mode.

Companies are perfectly capable of doing market research without the need
for personalisation.

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<u6n1eb$1lr4r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2252&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2252

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 09:39:22 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:39 UTC

On 6/18/2023 7:58 AM, Johnny wrote:

> It amazes me how people will put up with an operating system that
> annoys them constantly.

Remember your audience though. Linux is full of annoyances too.

And some users, won't lift a finger to help themselves.

I don't see the storm of support issues, the endless posts on the
same topics all the time, resulting in a lot of happy Linux campers.

I can imagine the audience here now, reveling in the joys of
setting up NFS mounts for themselves. I used to do that
back in my Unix days, and I remember the experience as
"not that pleasant" :-)

Self serve OSes are fine for enthusiasts, not so nice for
computer-haters (who expect a computer to be an appliance
and never-ever want to drop to shell).

OK, let me give you an example, buddy. This is me trying
to access my Windows notes.txt file (on the other machine) from Linux.

nautilus smb://192.168.1.7/shared

nemo smb://192.168.1.7/shared

pcmanfs smb://192.168.1.7/shared

Each distro has a different name for their file manager,
the namespace doesn't work (I have to use IP addresses),
and luckily, I happen to know what URI format to use.
One distro, insists on referring in "help text" to the
"files application", when the fucking application is
actually named "nautilus".

What the hell kind of "smooth and pleasant experience" is that, FFS ???

I also have to remember to do "ipconfig" or "ifconfig" on some
other machine, to discover what its IP address is.

It's all self serve. Manual-topia.

It's like keeping a cow, a tomato plant, a bun tree,
in my back yard, looking out the bedroom window and
exclaiming "you know, I could make a hamburger out of that!".
But how much cow-butchering, tomato slicing and bun toasting
am I willing to do ? Well, that's Linux. Year after year after
year, we're still toasting the same buns by hand. Like we
are enjoying it or something. "sudo toast bun".
"sudo make me a sandwich".

Paul

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<u6n1mv$1ls4i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2253&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2253

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:43:59 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:df5HXoV9LOpLzIuJJL7DU4ffjZY=
 by: Chris - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:43 UTC

Johnny <johnny@invalid.net> wrote:

>> On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 18:33:35 -0000 (UTC), Chris wrote:
>>> It's not a problem it's an annoyance. MS has managed fine for
>>> nearly 30 years without needing us to create an account with them
>>> simply to be able to use Windows. This "feature" only benefits
>>> them. The heavy handedness is unnecessary.
>>
>> Good answer, Chris!
>>
>> I'll just add that one big negative to having a Microsoft account,
>> for many of us, is that it helps Microsoft to aggregate information
>> about us: "we are not the customers, we are (our personal information
>> is) the product."
>
> It amazes me how people will put up with an operating system that
> annoys them constantly.

Fortunately, I don't. I use a Mac for work and at home the Windows PC is
rarely turned on.

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<20230618085236.38ee3384@mx>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2254&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2254

From: johnny@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 08:52:36 -0500
 by: Johnny - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:52 UTC

On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 09:39:22 -0400
Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> On 6/18/2023 7:58 AM, Johnny wrote:
>
> > It amazes me how people will put up with an operating system that
> > annoys them constantly.
> >

> Remember your audience though. Linux is full of annoyances too.
>
> And some users, won't lift a finger to help themselves.
>
> I don't see the storm of support issues, the endless posts on the
> same topics all the time, resulting in a lot of happy Linux campers.
>
> I can imagine the audience here now, reveling in the joys of
> setting up NFS mounts for themselves. I used to do that
> back in my Unix days, and I remember the experience as
> "not that pleasant" :-)
>
> Self serve OSes are fine for enthusiasts, not so nice for
> computer-haters (who expect a computer to be an appliance
> and never-ever want to drop to shell).
>
> OK, let me give you an example, buddy. This is me trying
> to access my Windows notes.txt file (on the other machine) from Linux.
>
> nautilus smb://192.168.1.7/shared
>
> nemo smb://192.168.1.7/shared
>
> pcmanfs smb://192.168.1.7/shared

> Each distro has a different name for their file manager,
> the namespace doesn't work (I have to use IP addresses),
> and luckily, I happen to know what URI format to use.
> One distro, insists on referring in "help text" to the
> "files application", when the fucking application is
> actually named "nautilus".
>
> What the hell kind of "smooth and pleasant experience" is that, FFS
> ???
>
> I also have to remember to do "ipconfig" or "ifconfig" on some
> other machine, to discover what its IP address is.
>
> It's all self serve. Manual-topia.
>
> It's like keeping a cow, a tomato plant, a bun tree,
> in my back yard, looking out the bedroom window and
> exclaiming "you know, I could make a hamburger out of that!".
> But how much cow-butchering, tomato slicing and bun toasting
> am I willing to do ? Well, that's Linux. Year after year after
> year, we're still toasting the same buns by hand. Like we
> are enjoying it or something. "sudo toast bun".
> "sudo make me a sandwich".
>
> Paul

Anyone that wants to try a problem free Linux operating system should
try MX Linux. There is no reason to ever open a terminal and type in
commands. You just use it.

https://mxlinux.org/

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<kf8jo8FucugU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2255&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2255

From: bob.henson@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 15:47:36 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 14:47 UTC

On 18.6.23 2:33 pm, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 21:07:40 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 16:19:51 -0700, Stan Brown
>> <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>>
>>> I play Microsoft solitaire games on my Windows 10 desktop. Many
>>> of the ads -- too many to be coincidence -- are targeted at my
>>> age group or residents of my small town, or both. Even without a
>>> Microsoft account, Microsoft somehow knows both of those, and
>>> it's creepy. I resist doing anything to make it easier for them
>>> to get more information.
>>
>> Yuck, that's why I've never even tried the Win 10 versions of MS
>> games. I just bring the games forward from XP or 7, I forget which.
>> Ads, especially targeted ads, would bum me out.
>
> I did that on my Windows 10 machine, but the installer fails on
> Windows 11. It's been a couple of months, so I don't remember the
> exact issue, but I think it was either a failure message at install
> time, or possibly a missing DLL when I launched a game.
>
> That said, the Windows 10 games are nicer visually than the Windows 7
> versions, they have daily challenges that I enjoy, and the UI is
> better (single click is, er, a game changer). So I put up with the
> ads, or take the video ads as my cue to go to the kitchen to refill
> my teacup.
>
> I don't think I've tried the Windows 11 games yet.

You can still get the Windows 7 games for Windows 11 from Winaero
Tweaker site - I use them every day, more or less. Winaero tweaker
itself is good too, I make quite a few mods with it to make Windows 11
more usable.

https://tinyurl.com/2ddw5xdu

I don't remember doing anything except installing the download.

--
Bob,
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Licentiae, quam stulti libertatem vocabant - Tacitus
Licence, which fools call liberty.

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<u6n9gp$1mnj7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2256&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2256

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 11:57:12 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 15:57 UTC

On 6/18/2023 9:43 AM, Chris wrote:
> Johnny <johnny@invalid.net> wrote:

>>> Good answer, Chris!
>>>
>>> I'll just add that one big negative to having a Microsoft account,
>>> for many of us, is that it helps Microsoft to aggregate information
>>> about us: "we are not the customers, we are (our personal information
>>> is) the product."
>>
>> It amazes me how people will put up with an operating system that
>> annoys them constantly.
>
> Fortunately, I don't. I use a Mac for work and at home the Windows PC is
> rarely turned on.

I've used three platforms over time, and never really
got attached to any of them.

Since forever, I've used two or more of them at the same time.
Such as having SoftWindows installed on a Sparc long ago.
And in the same year range, using MacII machines for work.
Using the Chooser. Skipping around the corporate WAN and so on.

One reason for ditching Mac, was arbitrary processor arch changes.
(I have old 68K and PPC machines in the room. Not cabled up.)

At work, tech people never seemed to be given physical PC machines.
If you were in sales, they might give you an eight core PC to
craft your three page PDF sales brochures. Or you could play
Solitaire half the day on your eight core machine.

Whereas a tech person had to virtualize their PC usage. They
would give me SoftWindows -- they would not give my an IBM PC.

The one memorable day, when I asked for a PC short term,
I was given a 6MHz single core computer, with no NIC card.
But, because I like challenges, I managed to do the
comms to that box *without* adding any hardware. As engineers,
we love challenges like this.

I don't really care what box I'm on. And when you "didn't give
me cores to work with", I would remote into someone elses machine
and work. Simples. One of our guys, got in trouble one night
(working on-site), by remoting into 30 machines and starting
jobs running. One of the machines had a physical user and
"he got caught".

Each platform has something it does well, and you just use the
best bits from each.

Paul

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<a3fu8ilubgossa5jvbi5e9la91vcnlp5pv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2257&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2257

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 10:22:42 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 17:22 UTC

On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 21:07:40 -0500, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 16:19:51 -0700, Stan Brown
><the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>>I play Microsoft solitaire games on my Windows 10 desktop. Many of
>>the ads -- too many to be coincidence -- are targeted at my age group
>>or residents of my small town, or both. Even without a Microsoft
>>account, Microsoft somehow knows both of those, and it's creepy. I
>>resist doing anything to make it easier for them to get more
>>information.
>
>Yuck, that's why I've never even tried the Win 10 versions of MS games.
>I just bring the games forward from XP or 7, I forget which.

Windows 7.

>especially targeted ads, would bum me out.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not just the ads. I think the older
versions of the games are much better. but the only one I play is
Spider Solitaire. And I play it only to help pass the time when I'm
waiting for something--for example when I'm on hold on a telephone
call.

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<mcfu8iltdb5ugfs4a64rrshfg0kh6gvpm6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2258&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2258

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 10:24:53 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 17:24 UTC

On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:32:12 -0000 (UTC), Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Jack <jack@invalid.net> wrote:
>>

>>> I play Microsoft solitaire games on my Windows 10 desktop. Many of
>>> the ads -- too many to be coincidence -- are targeted at my age group
>>> or residents of my small town, or both. Even without a Microsoft
>>> account, Microsoft somehow knows both of those, and it's creepy. I
>>> resist doing anything to make it easier for them to get more
>>> information.
>>>

>> Does it also happen when you are offline? The trick to stop ads in
>> Solitaire is to play it offline. This means unplug the Ethernet cable or
>> airplane mode for Wi-Fi before launching the game.
>
>Why should we inconvenience ourselves to work around this?

Should? There's no should. Do it only if you want to. I wouldn't
either, but Jack apparently does.

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<7gfu8itt46qmc1sd6lve9kfpgn1diul4im@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2259&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2259

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 10:26:44 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 17:26 UTC

On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 06:33:19 -0700, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 21:07:40 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 16:19:51 -0700, Stan Brown
>> <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>>
>> >I play Microsoft solitaire games on my Windows 10 desktop. Many of
>> >the ads -- too many to be coincidence -- are targeted at my age group
>> >or residents of my small town, or both. Even without a Microsoft
>> >account, Microsoft somehow knows both of those, and it's creepy. I
>> >resist doing anything to make it easier for them to get more
>> >information.
>>
>> Yuck, that's why I've never even tried the Win 10 versions of MS games.
>> I just bring the games forward from XP or 7, I forget which. Ads,
>> especially targeted ads, would bum me out.
>
>I did that on my Windows 10 machine, but the installer
>fails on Windows 11.

It works here.

>It's been a couple of months, so I
>don't remember the exact issue, but I think it was
>either a failure message at install time, or possibly a
>missing DLL when I launched a game.
>
>That said, the Windows 10 games are nicer visually than
>the Windows 7 versions,

Interesting. To me, it's the other way around.

>they have daily challenges that
>I enjoy, and the UI is better (single click is, er, a
>game changer). So I put up with the ads, or take the
>video ads as my cue to go to the kitchen to refill my
>teacup.
>
>I don't think I've tried the Windows 11 games yet.

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<9jfu8i9g2drtt11dvrssd2lk1iondhl6pl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2260&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2260

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 10:28:41 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 17:28 UTC

On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 15:47:36 +0100, Bob Henson
<bob.henson@outlook.com> wrote:

>On 18.6.23 2:33 pm, Stan Brown wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 21:07:40 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:

>>> Yuck, that's why I've never even tried the Win 10 versions of MS
>>> games. I just bring the games forward from XP or 7, I forget which.
>>> Ads, especially targeted ads, would bum me out.
>>
>> I did that on my Windows 10 machine, but the installer fails on
>> Windows 11. It's been a couple of months, so I don't remember the
>> exact issue, but I think it was either a failure message at install
>> time, or possibly a missing DLL when I launched a game.
>>
>> That said, the Windows 10 games are nicer visually than the Windows 7
>> versions, they have daily challenges that I enjoy, and the UI is
>> better (single click is, er, a game changer). So I put up with the
>> ads, or take the video ads as my cue to go to the kitchen to refill
>> my teacup.
>>
>> I don't think I've tried the Windows 11 games yet.
>>

>You can still get the Windows 7 games for Windows 11 from Winaero
>Tweaker site - I use them every day, more or less. Winaero tweaker
>itself is good too, I make quite a few mods with it to make Windows 11
>more usable.
>
>https://tinyurl.com/2ddw5xdu

Another recommendation from me about Winaero Tweaker

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<utfu8ipue20g5qvba6iv1r90ltsco9eojt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2261&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2261

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 10:35:50 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 17:35 UTC

On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:43:59 -0000 (UTC), Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Johnny <johnny@invalid.net> wrote:

>>> Good answer, Chris!
>>>
>>> I'll just add that one big negative to having a Microsoft account,
>>> for many of us, is that it helps Microsoft to aggregate information
>>> about us: "we are not the customers, we are (our personal information
>>> is) the product."
>>
>> It amazes me how people will put up with an operating system that
>> annoys them constantly.
>
>Fortunately, I don't. I use a Mac for work and at home the Windows PC is
>rarely turned on.

Fortunately, I also don't. I use a Windows 11 PC, which I have
configured to my liking with third-party programs. It seldom annoys
me. I'm happy with the way I have it set up.

I've never used a Macintosh, nor any flavor of Linux. I see no reason
to switch from what I know and like.

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<MPG.3ef8e6cb732b8b61990143@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2262&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2262

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 11:03:24 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 18:03 UTC

On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 00:43:01 +0100, Jack wrote:

> > I play Microsoft solitaire games on my Windows 10 desktop. Many of
> > the ads -- too many to be coincidence -- are targeted at my age group
> > or residents of my small town, or both. Even without a Microsoft
> > account, Microsoft somehow knows both of those, and it's creepy. I
> > resist doing anything to make it easier for them to get more
> > information.
>
> Does it also happen when you are offline? The trick to stop ads in
> Solitaire is to play it offline. This means unplug the Ethernet cable or
> airplane mode for Wi-Fi before launching the game.

Well, it's a nice idea, but with both Solitaire and Sudoku I get a
pop-up that an Internet connection is required to play the daily
challenges. (I can see why.) The non-challenge games can be played
without Internet, it looks like, but with some nags, which I found no
less irritating than conventional ads.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<MPG.3ef8e8eefa9f1509990144@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2263&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2263

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 11:12:35 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 18:12 UTC

On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 15:47:36 +0100, Bob Henson wrote:

> On 18.6.23 2:33 pm, Stan Brown wrote:
> > On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 21:07:40 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:

> >> Yuck, that's why I've never even tried the Win 10 versions of MS
> >> games. I just bring the games forward from XP or 7, I forget which.
> >> Ads, especially targeted ads, would bum me out.
> >
> > I did that on my Windows 10 machine, but the installer fails on
> > Windows 11. It's been a couple of months, so I don't remember the
> > exact issue, but I think it was either a failure message at install
> > time, or possibly a missing DLL when I launched a game.
> >
> > That said, the Windows 10 games are nicer visually than the Windows 7
> > versions, they have daily challenges that I enjoy, and the UI is
> > better (single click is, er, a game changer). So I put up with the
> > ads, or take the video ads as my cue to go to the kitchen to refill
> > my teacup.
> >
> > I don't think I've tried the Windows 11 games yet.
> >

> You can still get the Windows 7 games for Windows 11 from Winaero
> Tweaker site - I use them every day, more or less. Winaero tweaker
> itself is good too, I make quite a few mods with it to make Windows 11
> more usable.
>
> https://tinyurl.com/2ddw5xdu
>
> I don't remember doing anything except installing the download.

Thanks, Bob.

I was using the same installer (from MajorGeeks) for my Win 11 laptop
that I had installed on my Win 10 desktop. And on the site where you
linked to, Winaero says their installer was updated and doesn't get
the message "Error opening file for writing: C:\Windows\System32\en-
US\cmncliM.dll.mui". That message looks awfully familiar: it may well
be the one got from the MajorGeeks installer.

I'll give the Winaero one a try and report back.

I see that they also have a Win 10?type Task Manager for use in Win
11. I don't care for the new Win 11 one, so I'll give Winaero's
version a try also.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<XnsB02777902382Borisinvalidinvalid@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2264&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2264

From: Boris@invalid.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 18:45:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 18:45 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote in news:u6hib3$qnlv$1@dont-email.me:

> [...]
>>> Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 (KB5027119)
>>>
>>> 2023-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based
>>> Systems (KB5027231)
>>>
>>> After the update was complete, a full screen Microsoft window came
>>> up saying something like "Let's complete you setup". (I didn't make
>>> a screenshot, didn't think I'd need it.) My choices for this window
>>> were "Remind me in three days", and "Continue". I didn't want to be
>>> bugged later, so I pressed "Continue", hoping I could say no to
>>> everything, and get back to my desktop.
>>>
>>> No such luck. After pressing "Continue", the next window wanted
>>> 'customize my experience' by setting up how I used my machine,
>>> things like entertainment, gaming, school, business...but it did
>>> give me the option to "Skip" this window. I skipped.
>>>
>>> The next window wanted to set up Edge. This window allowed me to
>>> "Skip for now". I skipped for now.
>>>
>>> But, the next window wanted was "Let's add your Microsoft account".
>>> It asked me either sign in or create a MSFT account.
>>>
>>> I don't have a MSFT account, and set this Windows 11 machine up with
>>> only a local account.
>>>
>>> I could not get out of this window. If I clicked "Next", all I got
>>> was the expected reply that my name/pw was incorrect. Pressing
>>> "Back" sent me back, but that didn't get me back to my desktop.
>>>
>>> A CTRL-ALT-Del gave me the opportunity to select Task Manager, but
>>> when I clicked on Task Manager, nothing happened.
>>>
>>> I eventually hit the power button to turn the machine off, and then
>>> turned it back on, and I was back to my desktop.
>>>
>>> https://postimg.cc/gallery/4gnFDm1
>>>
>>> I suspect this may happen again with a future update. Has anyone
>>> (with only a local account) successfully gotten out of this window
>>> in a proper way?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>

>> It may not be what you really want to hear, but you should just
>> create a Microsoft account, and log into Windows with it. This
>> obsessive need, to work around that, is just missing the point of
>> using a modern computer, with the latest and greatest OS.
>>

> Ha.
>
> Microsoft harassment interfaces are a dime-a-dozen.
>
> How about MSEdge something-or-other opens in your face,
> and "can't be dismissed". That's just another example of
> this baloney. You can try alt-F4 to dismiss, but my favorite
> method is control-alt-delete and kill every instance of
> msedge until the damn screen comes back :-) If you have
> a hard drive and not an SSD, even hitting the power button
> is a valid response.
>
> The machine I'm typing this on, has an MSA. Am I seeing
> Sparkle Ponies here ? No.
>
> And the knobs you flip in this OS, can be randomly flipped
> back again, after a Patch Tuesday. You always have to be
> on your guard for the monkey business. These are not
> accidents, when this happens. Little kiddies sit in a
> meeting room and plot all this stuff. And they <snicker>
> a bit while doing so. Who said you can't have fun at work.

I've had my System Restore disabled and all restore points deleted after
a Patch Tuesday or an Update, don't know which. I didn't realize it
until I needed it.

Boris

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<u6noqi$1o8gh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2265&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2265

From: Zaidy036@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 16:18:26 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 20:18 UTC

On 6/18/2023 9:13 AM, Ben@XPOnly.org wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 22:10:52 -0400, Zaidy036 <Zaidy036@air.isp.spam>
> wrote:

>> Instead of MS Games use Pysol. Free, many games, no adds
>
> Fare Thee Well
>
> As of 2004 any work on PySol has stopped, and PySol is
> officially discontinued.
>
> Fortunately a number of enthusiastic people have continued from
> where I left off and have created the PySol Fan Club* edition.
> Please contribute all your patches and enhancements to this new
> project.
>
> It has been very much fun creating this game, and I hope you
> will appreciate the result of my efforts. Share and enjoy!
>
> * http://pysolfc.sourceforge.net/

I am using PySol Fan Club Edition v 2.15.0 on Win 10 Pro. v 2.20.1 is
current

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<l7qu8idi76mfoj0ivsgrvv24820ostnmnt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2266&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2266

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:29:13 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 20:29 UTC

On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 11:12:35 -0700, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 15:47:36 +0100, Bob Henson wrote:

>> > I did that on my Windows 10 machine, but the installer fails on
>> > Windows 11. It's been a couple of months, so I don't remember the
>> > exact issue, but I think it was either a failure message at install
>> > time, or possibly a missing DLL when I launched a game.
>> >
>> > That said, the Windows 10 games are nicer visually than the Windows 7
>> > versions, they have daily challenges that I enjoy, and the UI is
>> > better (single click is, er, a game changer). So I put up with the
>> > ads, or take the video ads as my cue to go to the kitchen to refill
>> > my teacup.
>> >
>> > I don't think I've tried the Windows 11 games yet.
>> >

>> You can still get the Windows 7 games for Windows 11 from Winaero
>> Tweaker site - I use them every day, more or less. Winaero tweaker
>> itself is good too, I make quite a few mods with it to make Windows 11
>> more usable.
>>
>> https://tinyurl.com/2ddw5xdu
>>
>> I don't remember doing anything except installing the download.
>
>Thanks, Bob.
>
>I was using the same installer (from MajorGeeks) for my Win 11 laptop
>that I had installed on my Win 10 desktop. And on the site where you
>linked to, Winaero says their installer was updated and doesn't get
>the message "Error opening file for writing: C:\Windows\System32\en-
>US\cmncliM.dll.mui". That message looks awfully familiar: it may well
>be the one got from the MajorGeeks installer.
>
>I'll give the Winaero one a try and report back.
>
>I see that they also have a Win 10?type Task Manager for use in Win
>11. I don't care for the new Win 11 one, so I'll give Winaero's
>version a try also.

You might also want to try the freeware Task Manager Deluxe.

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<u6o480$1q04u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2267&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2267

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 19:33:18 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 23:33 UTC

On 6/18/2023 2:45 PM, Boris wrote:

> I've had my System Restore disabled and all restore points deleted after
> a Patch Tuesday or an Update, don't know which. I didn't realize it
> until I needed it.
>
> Boris

Yes, mine is off too.

I don't even bother checking it any more.

It's no good in a malware situation. It might be
useful during an update.

Paul

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<u6o4ek$1q04u$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2268&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2268

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 19:36:52 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 23:36 UTC

On 6/18/2023 1:35 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:43:59 -0000 (UTC), Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Johnny <johnny@invalid.net> wrote:

>>> It amazes me how people will put up with an operating system that
>>> annoys them constantly.
>>
>> Fortunately, I don't. I use a Mac for work and at home the Windows PC is
>> rarely turned on.
>

> Fortunately, I also don't. I use a Windows 11 PC, which I have
> configured to my liking with third-party programs. It seldom annoys
> me. I'm happy with the way I have it set up.
>
> I've never used a Macintosh, nor any flavor of Linux. I see no reason
> to switch from what I know and like.

You should try a virtual machine... before they go extinct :-)

Paul

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<DDMjM.3530$WpOe.59@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2269&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2269

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
From: rabid@pedag.og (rabidPedagog)
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 19:42:24 -0400
 by: rabidPedagog - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 23:42 UTC

On 2023-06-18 9:39 a.m., Paul wrote:
> On 6/18/2023 7:58 AM, Johnny wrote:
>
>> It amazes me how people will put up with an operating system that
>> annoys them constantly.
>>

> Remember your audience though. Linux is full of annoyances too.

At the top of the list is Linux's almost complete inability to wake from
suspend. You need to have the Holy Grail of laptops to get a
consistently waking machine. Before any of the zealots tell me that I'm
lying, look it up on your search engine of choice; thousands upon
thousands of people have problems doing the absolute basics with Linux.

< snip > -

--
rabidPedagog
TG: @rabidPedagog

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<VdNjM.4649$IQR3.526@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2270&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2270

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
From: rabid@pedag.og (rabidPedagog)
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 20:23:13 -0400
 by: rabidPedagog - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 00:23 UTC

On 2023-06-18 1:35 p.m., Ken Blake wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:43:59 -0000 (UTC), Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Johnny <johnny@invalid.net> wrote:

>>> It amazes me how people will put up with an operating system that
>>> annoys them constantly.
>>
>> Fortunately, I don't. I use a Mac for work and at home the Windows PC is
>> rarely turned on.
>

> Fortunately, I also don't. I use a Windows 11 PC, which I have
> configured to my liking with third-party programs. It seldom annoys
> me. I'm happy with the way I have it set up.
>
> I've never used a Macintosh, nor any flavor of Linux. I see no reason
> to switch from what I know and like.

To be completely honest, the Mac is a wonderful machine, especially if
you have no interest in playing games. It runs everything it should,
quietly, and the hardware is very reliable. Additionally, its screens
generally have the nicest colour and sharpness you can get on the market.

In Linux's case, if your hardware is a little older, chances are that
Linux will support it out of the box. The experience isn't perfect for a
machine that was just released, but it tends to get stellar within a
year or two. However, it has traditionally and continues to struggle
with waking from sleep if your machine supports S3. However, since
today's machines are deployed with S3 disabled and S0 standard, it won't
struggle at all.

--
rabidPedagog
TG: @rabidPedagog

Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop

<u6p8l5$21n6e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2271&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2271

From: wasbit@nowhere.invalid (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 10:54:45 +0100
 by: wasbit - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 09:54 UTC

On 18/06/2023 14:52, Johnny wrote:
> snip <
>
> Anyone that wants to try a problem free Linux operating system should
> try MX Linux. There is no reason to ever open a terminal and type in
> commands. You just use it.
>
> https://mxlinux.org/

I thought I might try it.
They don't make it easy for non linux users presuming that everyone
knows the difference between xfce, kde & fluxbox.
No sizes for those on restricted downloads.
Seems every standard desktop is black. Yuk!
No doubt it can be changed once the OS is installed.

--
Regards
wasbit

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Re: Microsoft Insists on Setting Up My Desktop