The nicest thing about the Alto is that it doesn't run faster at night.

tech / rec.aviation.soaring / Re: Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?

SubjectAuthor
* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Lawrence Spinetta
+* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Roy B.
|+* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Mark628CA
||`- Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Dan Marotta
|`- Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Lawrence Spinetta
+* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Linda Chism
|+* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?youngbl...@gmail.com
||`* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Dan Marotta
|| `* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Michael Fadden
||  +- Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Mark628CA
||  `- Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Dan Marotta
|`- Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Lawrence Spinetta
+- Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Moshe Braner
+* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Hank Nixon
     `* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?waltco...@aol.com
      `* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?youngbl...@gmail.com
       `* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?waltco...@aol.com
        `* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?2G
         `* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?rec.aviation.soaring
          `* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Eric Greenwell
           `* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?youngbl...@gmail.com
            +- Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Mark628CA
            `* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Eric Greenwell
             +* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Hank Nixon
             |`- Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Eric Greenwell
             +* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?youngbl...@gmail.com
             |`- Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Eric Greenwell
             `* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Moshe Braner
              +- Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Eric Greenwell
              `* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Richard Livingston
               `* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?youngbl...@gmail.com
                +* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Eric Greenwell
                |+* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Eric Greenwell
                ||`* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Dan Marotta
                || +* Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?youngbl...@gmail.com
                || |`- Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Dan Marotta
                || +- Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Eric Greenwell
                || +- Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?youngbl...@gmail.com
                || `- Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?waltco...@aol.com
                |+- Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?George Haeh
                |`- Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Hank Nixon
                +- Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?youngbl...@gmail.com
                `- Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?Richard Livingston

Pages:123
Re: Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?

<eb8b52fb-5ae2-4d6a-937a-2a2bbff43eb8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=33846&group=rec.aviation.soaring#33846

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 07:05:16 -0700 (PDT)
<4b46a73c-d82f-42e5-99c4-e86784c9db7an@googlegroups.com> <07887680-5bc7-4528-af7b-222f33601022n@googlegroups.com>
<c6cf1319-8841-4383-b202-d68c30413fb7n@googlegroups.com> <9078ca07-0b41-491e-be79-49818c393cban@googlegroups.com>
<1e00feb3-c3e1-43b4-97dd-d47547633446n@googlegroups.com> <0c5b43ef-11ab-49b5-96a2-6bda9d379492n@googlegroups.com>
<864f0332-fda5-4158-a52f-632861eea9d0n@googlegroups.com> <021700c2-a20a-4901-8b15-8feafab8fed7n@googlegroups.com>
<44f380b6-367a-4690-81e3-2acc3ca88ec0n@googlegroups.com> <c7ef4c61-b2c1-4f52-8721-f5f519b71369n@googlegroups.com>
<b8fae1fc-5b70-49f8-b6a0-680b1b4afc20n@googlegroups.com> <5ac8e6c4-c239-480f-9992-f36161be72c9n@googlegroups.com>
<075ed1e3-3dbe-465a-913b-0e4d3bb2a2b9n@googlegroups.com> <uedgbf$2jogr$1@dont-email.me>
<c3853009-b83b-48e7-8498-9272b63ba85en@googlegroups.com> <80aca383-1677-4a61-8862-e69bf59c6347n@googlegroups.com>
<901e06ff-3feb-4de1-b9ae-6772b84666fen@googlegroups.com> <9cf247bc-bdbf-452d-b531-9fb4f647855cn@googlegroups.com>
<9f2bfb79-37ae-43ee-a872-477709e7b714n@googlegroups.com> <9c66b87c-e9b7-497f-b653-bd915e6760fen@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?
From: richalivingston@gmail.com (Richard Livingston)
 by: Richard Livingston - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 14:05 UTC

On Thursday, September 21, 2023 at 8:52:19 PM UTC-5, George Haeh wrote:
> I'm waiting for one of the eminent instructors here to reveal the simple SECRET for following the tow plane when it's turning.

I'm not a CFI-G, but during a turn I allow the tow plane to drift to the inside of the turn somewhat while keeping it at the same level above the instrument panel. And I bank the wings the same as the tow plane. I want to keep the tail fin of the tow plane approximately centered on the fuselage. This works very well and, once mastered, prevents over controlling.

Rich L.

Re: Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?

<uek996$9n42$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=33847&group=rec.aviation.soaring#33847

From: dcmarotta@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 08:44:54 -0600
<075ed1e3-3dbe-465a-913b-0e4d3bb2a2b9n@googlegroups.com>
<uedgbf$2jogr$1@dont-email.me>
<c3853009-b83b-48e7-8498-9272b63ba85en@googlegroups.com>
<80aca383-1677-4a61-8862-e69bf59c6347n@googlegroups.com>
<901e06ff-3feb-4de1-b9ae-6772b84666fen@googlegroups.com>
<9cf247bc-bdbf-452d-b531-9fb4f647855cn@googlegroups.com>
<9f2bfb79-37ae-43ee-a872-477709e7b714n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Dan Marotta - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 14:44 UTC

You and Bob gotta be old farts, Eric! But I love the reference to Billy
Grammer.

BTW, the trick to flying tow is, indeed, to keep the tug in a spot on
the canopy. But the REAL trick that nobody has revealed yet is to know
just where that spot is and how it changes during turns and straight
ahead flight.

Not an instructor (by choice) - just an old fart, too...

Dan
5J

On 9/21/23 17:13, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> On Thursday, September 21, 2023 at 1:04:25 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Told you! You gotta tell the student the SECRET, which is using the elevator and rudder to point a spot on the canopy at the tow plane, then using the ailerons to match the glider wing (the bank) with the tow plane wing. Learn to that, and you can fly entire tow from rope attachment to rope release even do wing down, unassisted takeoffs. You need more training to be solo ready, but hey! That's great progress that doesn't take a lot of flights to learn.
>>>
>>> I've only trained students in a Blanik L-13, and other gliders might not be as docile, and require a slightly different approach.
>>>
>>> Eric
>> Eric, the SECRET is that Elvis is not at a pizza parlor in Detroit, he might just be flying his motorglider somewhere near Memphis while he sings Amazing Grace. I love how all you instructors come up with these theories on how to follow the towplane, just put that dot on the window and all is good, I am going to call BS on that theory. OBTP
> It's not just me and Moshe, Old Bob, but also ... (wait for it) ... the 1989 Joy of Soaring [rimshot ]put out by the SSA (page 28): "The third, and preferred, technique is to keep the towplane in a fixed position on the glider's windshield. ... In effect, the glider pilot aligns two points in the glider upon the towplane, ... thus aiming the glider at the towplane." [2nd rimshot]
>
> Now, there are TWO things you should read: "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" and "The Joy of Soaring". You are probably still busy with towing and all, but summer's almost gone, yes, and winter's comin' on, so you'll have those long, dark evenings to catch up on some this stuff.

Re: Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?

<da48489e-53c2-4191-be4b-f4f9dbbc1564n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=33849&group=rec.aviation.soaring#33849

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 15:03:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: youngblood8116@gmail.com (youngbl...@gmail.com)
 by: youngbl...@gmail.com - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 22:03 UTC

On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 10:44:59 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
> You and Bob gotta be old farts, Eric! But I love the reference to Billy
> Grammer.
>
> BTW, the trick to flying tow is, indeed, to keep the tug in a spot on
> the canopy. But the REAL trick that nobody has revealed yet is to know
> just where that spot is and how it changes during turns and straight
> ahead flight.
>
> Not an instructor (by choice) - just an old fart, too...
>
> Dan
> 5J
> On 9/21/23 17:13, Eric Greenwell wrote:

> >> Eric, the SECRET is that Elvis is not at a pizza parlor in Detroit, he might just be flying his motorglider somewhere near Memphis while he sings Amazing Grace. I love how all you instructors come up with these theories on how to follow the towplane, just put that dot on the window and all is good, I am going to call BS on that theory. OBTP
> > It's not just me and Moshe, Old Bob, but also ... (wait for it) ... the 1989 Joy of Soaring [rimshot ]put out by the SSA (page 28): "The third, and preferred, technique is to keep the towplane in a fixed position on the glider's windshield. ... In effect, the glider pilot aligns two points in the glider upon the towplane, ... thus aiming the glider at the towplane." [2nd rimshot]
> >
> > Now, there are TWO things you should read: "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" and "The Joy of Soaring". You are probably still busy with towing and all, but summer's almost gone, yes, and winter's comin' on, so you'll have those long, dark evenings to catch up on some this stuff.
Dan, I am a bit confused about the spot or is it a dot? If it is a spot I am going to get a Magic Marker and place a spot from the marker on the windshield of the 2-33, AKA, Skyhag, in hopes that the students will keep the spot on the Pawnee. Now if it is a dot then I will place a red dot sticker on the windshield and never again do I expect any glider pilot to be out of position.
Yes Eric, the days will be getting shorter and darkness will cover the sky sooner than expected, this will allow more time for me to catch up on all the books that I have on my night stand. Don't think the Joy Of Soaring or The Guide To Motorgliding will be at the top of my list. I have the new Mark Levin book on how the democrats have ruined the country.
With this new fall weather approaching I do plan on flying my pure ASW27B on some nice triangles around South Florida, who knows, might just make a few more trips around 2901 taking the left and right banana. OBTP

Re: Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?

<88ce4d44-868f-439a-9aed-c4515c934cf6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=33850&group=rec.aviation.soaring#33850

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 16:06:33 -0700 (PDT)
<uek996$9n42$1@dont-email.me> <da48489e-53c2-4191-be4b-f4f9dbbc1564n@googlegroups.com>
From: engreenwell@gmail.com (Eric Greenwell)
 by: Eric Greenwell - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 23:06 UTC

On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 3:03:22 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail..com wrote:
> On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 10:44:59 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
> > You and Bob gotta be old farts, Eric! But I love the reference to Billy
> > Grammer.
> >
> > BTW, the trick to flying tow is, indeed, to keep the tug in a spot on
> > the canopy. But the REAL trick that nobody has revealed yet is to know
> > just where that spot is and how it changes during turns and straight
> > ahead flight.
> >
> > Not an instructor (by choice) - just an old fart, too...
> >
> > Dan
> > 5J

> > > It's not just me and Moshe, Old Bob, but also ... (wait for it) ... the 1989 Joy of Soaring [rimshot ]put out by the SSA (page 28): "The third, and preferred, technique is to keep the towplane in a fixed position on the glider's windshield. ... In effect, the glider pilot aligns two points in the glider upon the towplane, ... thus aiming the glider at the towplane." [2nd rimshot]
> > >
> > > Now, there are TWO things you should read: "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" and "The Joy of Soaring". You are probably still busy with towing and all, but summer's almost gone, yes, and winter's comin' on, so you'll have those long, dark evenings to catch up on some this stuff.
> Dan, I am a bit confused about the spot or is it a dot? If it is a spot I am going to get a Magic Marker and place a spot from the marker on the windshield of the 2-33, AKA, Skyhag, in hopes that the students will keep the spot on the Pawnee. Now if it is a dot then I will place a red dot sticker on the windshield and never again do I expect any glider pilot to be out of position.
> Yes Eric, the days will be getting shorter and darkness will cover the sky sooner than expected, this will allow more time for me to catch up on all the books that I have on my night stand. Don't think the Joy Of Soaring or The Guide To Motorgliding will be at the top of my list. I have the new Mark Levin book on how the democrats have ruined the country.
> With this new fall weather approaching I do plan on flying my pure ASW27B on some nice triangles around South Florida, who knows, might just make a few more trips around 2901 taking the left and right banana. OBTP
OB, don't worry, be happy, it doesn't need to be done note for note, but just keep the towplane somewhere near the "dot". Which, btw, will have a location that depends mostly on the pilot's seated height; also, you are the towpilot way up front, so it will be your club instructors revealing the "secret" of the aim point.

Re: Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?

<uemsm6$qlv9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=33853&group=rec.aviation.soaring#33853

From: dcmarotta@earthlink.net (Dan Marotta)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 08:28:22 -0600
<uedgbf$2jogr$1@dont-email.me>
<c3853009-b83b-48e7-8498-9272b63ba85en@googlegroups.com>
<80aca383-1677-4a61-8862-e69bf59c6347n@googlegroups.com>
<901e06ff-3feb-4de1-b9ae-6772b84666fen@googlegroups.com>
<9cf247bc-bdbf-452d-b531-9fb4f647855cn@googlegroups.com>
<9f2bfb79-37ae-43ee-a872-477709e7b714n@googlegroups.com>
<uek996$9n42$1@dont-email.me>
<da48489e-53c2-4191-be4b-f4f9dbbc1564n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Dan Marotta - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 14:28 UTC

Not so easy, Bob.

The dot, spot, or location on the canopy changes based upon pilot
height, straight flight, turns, etc. Forgetting dots, just try to fly
the glider along the same path as the tug is flying. Otherwise you'll
quickly get out of position,

Dan
5J

On 9/22/23 16:03, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 10:44:59 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
>> You and Bob gotta be old farts, Eric! But I love the reference to Billy
>> Grammer.
>>
>> BTW, the trick to flying tow is, indeed, to keep the tug in a spot on
>> the canopy. But the REAL trick that nobody has revealed yet is to know
>> just where that spot is and how it changes during turns and straight
>> ahead flight.
>>
>> Not an instructor (by choice) - just an old fart, too...
>>
>> Dan
>> 5J

>>> It's not just me and Moshe, Old Bob, but also ... (wait for it) ... the 1989 Joy of Soaring [rimshot ]put out by the SSA (page 28): "The third, and preferred, technique is to keep the towplane in a fixed position on the glider's windshield. ... In effect, the glider pilot aligns two points in the glider upon the towplane, ... thus aiming the glider at the towplane." [2nd rimshot]
>>>
>>> Now, there are TWO things you should read: "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" and "The Joy of Soaring". You are probably still busy with towing and all, but summer's almost gone, yes, and winter's comin' on, so you'll have those long, dark evenings to catch up on some this stuff.
> Dan, I am a bit confused about the spot or is it a dot? If it is a spot I am going to get a Magic Marker and place a spot from the marker on the windshield of the 2-33, AKA, Skyhag, in hopes that the students will keep the spot on the Pawnee. Now if it is a dot then I will place a red dot sticker on the windshield and never again do I expect any glider pilot to be out of position.
> Yes Eric, the days will be getting shorter and darkness will cover the sky sooner than expected, this will allow more time for me to catch up on all the books that I have on my night stand. Don't think the Joy Of Soaring or The Guide To Motorgliding will be at the top of my list. I have the new Mark Levin book on how the democrats have ruined the country.
> With this new fall weather approaching I do plan on flying my pure ASW27B on some nice triangles around South Florida, who knows, might just make a few more trips around 2901 taking the left and right banana. OBTP

Re: Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?

<33b235f4-ba76-4e4f-ab43-aac2e7b0990dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=33855&group=rec.aviation.soaring#33855

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 15:57:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: youngblood8116@gmail.com (youngbl...@gmail.com)
 by: youngbl...@gmail.com - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 22:57 UTC

On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 7:06:36 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 3:03:22 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 10:44:59 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
> > > You and Bob gotta be old farts, Eric! But I love the reference to Billy
> > > Grammer.
> > >
> > > BTW, the trick to flying tow is, indeed, to keep the tug in a spot on
> > > the canopy. But the REAL trick that nobody has revealed yet is to know
> > > just where that spot is and how it changes during turns and straight
> > > ahead flight.
> > >
> > > Not an instructor (by choice) - just an old fart, too...
> > >
> > > Dan
> > > 5J

> > Dan, I am a bit confused about the spot or is it a dot? If it is a spot I am going to get a Magic Marker and place a spot from the marker on the windshield of the 2-33, AKA, Skyhag, in hopes that the students will keep the spot on the Pawnee. Now if it is a dot then I will place a red dot sticker on the windshield and never again do I expect any glider pilot to be out of position.
> > Yes Eric, the days will be getting shorter and darkness will cover the sky sooner than expected, this will allow more time for me to catch up on all the books that I have on my night stand. Don't think the Joy Of Soaring or The Guide To Motorgliding will be at the top of my list. I have the new Mark Levin book on how the democrats have ruined the country.
> > With this new fall weather approaching I do plan on flying my pure ASW27B on some nice triangles around South Florida, who knows, might just make a few more trips around 2901 taking the left and right banana. OBTP
> OB, don't worry, be happy, it doesn't need to be done note for note, but just keep the towplane somewhere near the "dot". Which, btw, will have a location that depends mostly on the pilot's seated height; also, you are the towpilot way up front, so it will be your club instructors revealing the "secret" of the aim point.
I was able to get to the gliderport today after a visit in the hospital this week, but I did have my IPAD next to me reading the BS in RAS, it actually lowers my blood pressure. At the port today I had a fill in tow pilot, I briefed him on the pilots that he might be towing and I asked the instructor if he had gone over SPOTS and DOTS with the student, they looked at me and asked me if I felt ok. I took a few minutes of my time to show them where the marker was to make the SPOT and I had some of my shooting target red peel off DOTS that they could use if needed.
Now Eric, these guys looked at me like I had flown in on one of the alien spaceships or one of those motorglider spaceships. OBTP

Re: Takeoff distance charts while towing with a Pawnee?

<1f2faa6a-2af9-4726-a8f8-c8c9ab621b30n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=33867&group=rec.aviation.soaring#33867

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 06:41:35 -0700 (PDT)
<88ce4d44-868f-439a-9aed-c4515c934cf6n@googlegroups.com> <33b235f4-ba76-4e4f-ab43-aac2e7b0990dn@googlegroups.com>
From: waltconnelly@aol.com (waltco...@aol.com)
 by: waltco...@aol.com - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 13:41 UTC

On Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 6:57:41 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 7:06:36 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:

> > > Dan, I am a bit confused about the spot or is it a dot? If it is a spot I am going to get a Magic Marker and place a spot from the marker on the windshield of the 2-33, AKA, Skyhag, in hopes that the students will keep the spot on the Pawnee. Now if it is a dot then I will place a red dot sticker on the windshield and never again do I expect any glider pilot to be out of position.
> > > Yes Eric, the days will be getting shorter and darkness will cover the sky sooner than expected, this will allow more time for me to catch up on all the books that I have on my night stand. Don't think the Joy Of Soaring or The Guide To Motorgliding will be at the top of my list. I have the new Mark Levin book on how the democrats have ruined the country.
> > > With this new fall weather approaching I do plan on flying my pure ASW27B on some nice triangles around South Florida, who knows, might just make a few more trips around 2901 taking the left and right banana. OBTP
> > OB, don't worry, be happy, it doesn't need to be done note for note, but just keep the towplane somewhere near the "dot". Which, btw, will have a location that depends mostly on the pilot's seated height; also, you are the towpilot way up front, so it will be your club instructors revealing the "secret" of the aim point.
> I was able to get to the gliderport today after a visit in the hospital this week, but I did have my IPAD next to me reading the BS in RAS, it actually lowers my blood pressure. At the port today I had a fill in tow pilot, I briefed him on the pilots that he might be towing and I asked the instructor if he had gone over SPOTS and DOTS with the student, they looked at me and asked me if I felt ok. I took a few minutes of my time to show them where the marker was to make the SPOT and I had some of my shooting target red peel off DOTS that they could use if needed.
> Now Eric, these guys looked at me like I had flown in on one of the alien spaceships or one of those motorglider spaceships. OBTP

Let's simplify all this. Tell the student to keep the tow plane on the horizon, stay just to the left of the tow plane making it easier on the tow pilots knees, tell the student to release IMMEDIATELY if they lose sight of the tow plane and tell them WHY!! BECAUSE YOU COULD KILL THE TOW PILOT.

WALT CONNELLY