Never put off till run-time what you can do at compile-time. -- D. Gries

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

SubjectAuthor
* Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outingswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Moment Edinburgh chav-cyclist loses it when splashed with waterJNugent
+* Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water onswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water onJNugent
+* Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water onSimon Mason
> [...]
|`- Re: Moment Edinburgh chav-cyclist loses it when splashed with waterJNugent
+* Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water onswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Moment Edinburgh cycling chav loses it when splashed with waterJNugent
|+- Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed withSpike
|+* Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water onswldx...@gmail.com
||+- Re: Moment Edinburgh chav-cyclist loses it when splashed with waterJNugent
||`- Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water onSimon Mason
|+- Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed withSpike
|`* Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water onswldx...@gmail.com
| +- Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed withSpike
| +- Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi OutingSpike

Pages:12345
Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<feb9bca9-fd30-48f9-81ee-bd05ccf532bdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29980&group=uk.rec.cycling#29980

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 08:47:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 15:47 UTC

A mum has spoken out after a cyclist hit their cab during the iconic Edinburgh Taxi Outing.

The 30-year-old was riding in the back of a black cab with her six-year-old autistic son during the charity day on June 13. But one commuter appeared less than keen to participate.

The annual outing has been running since 1947, where children with life-altering disabilities and terminal illnesses are ferried around in style as part of a day they will never forget.

Speaking to Edinburgh Live, the mum explained that it was their first time joining the special day and it meant a lot being the 75th anniversary. They were enjoying themselves in the back of the cab, her son with a customary water pistol with which to target passersby in the spirit of the day. But one cyclist took umbrage.

The mum said: "Unfortunately, it’s not all sunshine and rainbows when it comes to the public. While travelling on the bridges, a cyclist was forced to come onto the pavement to let the taxis pass. In the name of fun, as the day is all about, she got a little bit wet, she was furious and proceeded to hit the taxi and ram her bike into it.

"Two seconds later a disheveled angry man then hurled abuse at the taxi screaming and swearing that he was ‘wet for court’. Absolutely out of order, no consideration for the day out, the taxis and most importantly the children that are inside these vehicles. It’s a bit of water on a blistering hot day, everyone would have been dried in a matter of a few minutes."

She added: "My child, in this occasion was ok, but it could have been extremely different. Luckily there was no damage to the taxi, again this could have been different.

"This is the driver's livelihood, income, and life. The driver remained happy and on his mission of fun! He was kind enough to say, ‘they may be going through a rough time, you just never know what people are going through’, which really emphasised the people who put this day on for the children are so selfless.

"With this being said, these people are a minority. They don’t get in the way of us enjoying ourselves, the support from locals is truly outstanding and heartwarming to be a part of! A massive hats off to the ones who make this all a reality, families are so grateful for you all."

On Tuesday, taxis lined up Edinburgh's roads, dressed up with bright balloons and ribbons flowing as kids threw sweets and used water pistols from the water.

The cars were tooting their horns to signal their arrival as they made their way from Edinburgh Zoo to Direlton.

Not everyone is a fan, however. Back in 2019, a private hire driver lay on the ground in protest before a police officer asked him to move.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/moment-edinburgh-cyclist-loses-splashed-27137013

Re: Moment Edinburgh chav-cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<kf3hjcFa2lsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29985&group=uk.rec.cycling#29985

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Moment Edinburgh chav-cyclist loses it when splashed with water
on Taxi Outing
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 17:40:12 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 16:40 UTC

> A mum has spoken out after a cyclist hit their cab during the iconic Edinburgh Taxi Outing.
> The 30-year-old was riding in the back of a black cab with her six-year-old autistic son during the charity day on June 13. But one commuter appeared less than keen to participate.
> The annual outing has been running since 1947, where children with life-altering disabilities and terminal illnesses are ferried around in style as part of a day they will never forget.

Many UK cities have a similar tradition, selflessly kept alive by
licenced cabmen.

> Speaking to Edinburgh Live, the mum explained that it was their first time joining the special day and it meant a lot being the 75th anniversary. They were enjoying themselves in the back of the cab, her son with a customary water pistol with which to target passersby in the spirit of the day. But one cyclist took umbrage.
> The mum said: "Unfortunately, it’s not all sunshine and rainbows when it comes to the public. While travelling on the bridges, a cyclist was forced to come onto the pavement to let the taxis pass. In the name of fun, as the day is all about, she got a little bit wet, she was furious and proceeded to hit the taxi and ram her bike into it.

Typical chav-cyclist behaviour. No sense of humour whatsoever and no
sense of occasion or respect for those children. Loses her temper with a
playful disabled child... Diddums! Was her dignity breached for a few
seconds? Then she takes out her fit-of-pique revenge on a third party.

> "Two seconds later a disheveled angry man then hurled abuse at the taxi screaming and swearing that he was ‘wet for court’.

Oh, that will never do. Answering a D&D and turning up looking like a
tramp. And wet to boot.

> Absolutely out of order, no consideration for the day out, the taxis and most importantly the children that are inside these vehicles. It’s a bit of water on a blistering hot day, everyone would have been dried in a matter of a few minutes."
> She added: "My child, in this occasion was ok, but it could have been extremely different. Luckily there was no damage to the taxi, again this could have been different.
> "This is the driver's livelihood, income, and life. The driver remained happy and on his mission of fun! He was kind enough to say, ‘they may be going through a rough time, you just never know what people are going through’, which really emphasised the people who put this day on for the children are so selfless.

Quite so.

What a shame the cyclist wasn't even a tenth as selfless.

> "With this being said, these people are a minority. They don’t get in the way of us enjoying ourselves, the support from locals is truly outstanding and heartwarming to be a part of! A massive hats off to the ones who make this all a reality, families are so grateful for you all."

And that is very reasonable and speaks volumes for the right way to see
this event.

> On Tuesday, taxis lined up Edinburgh's roads, dressed up with bright balloons and ribbons flowing as kids threw sweets and used water pistols from the water.
> The cars were tooting their horns to signal their arrival as they made their way from Edinburgh Zoo to Direlton.
> Not everyone is a fan, however. Back in 2019, a private hire driver lay on the ground in protest before a police officer asked him to move.

They - and cyclists - are usually the villains of any piece.

> https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/moment-edinburgh-cyclist-loses-splashed-27137013

I see you have given up your tacit claims to have written these pieces.

About time too.

Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<29a33162-b0ea-461e-8344-e9c374b9d4f5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29988&group=uk.rec.cycling#29988

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 10:01:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on
Taxi Outing
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 17:01 UTC

QUOTE: On Tuesday, taxis lined up Edinburgh's roads, dressed up with bright balloons and ribbons flowing as kids threw sweets and used water pistols from the water. The cars were tooting their horns to signal their arrival as they made their way from Edinburgh Zoo to Direlton. ENDS

Don't the cyclist haters say that such events trap them in their homes for several days?

Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<kf3k8bFafetU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29994&group=uk.rec.cycling#29994

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Taxi Outing
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 18:25:32 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 17:25 UTC

> QUOTE: On Tuesday, taxis lined up Edinburgh's roads, dressed up with bright balloons and ribbons flowing as kids threw sweets and used water pistols from the water. The cars were tooting their horns to signal their arrival as they made their way from Edinburgh Zoo to Direlton. ENDS
>
> Don't the cyclist haters say that such events trap them in their homes for several days?

No-one has ever said such a thing about a procession of thirty to fifty
vehicles travelling along a road on a trip to the seaside. There are no
road closures; no-one whinges that they need barriers to keep other
humans away from them.

In short, no-one hates the annual taxi outing for sick and disabled
children.

Well, no-one apart from you and the dishevelled and angry pair. And that
merely confirms that no-one of any importance has any criticism to make
of this very worthy annual act of charity.

On th other hand, everyone hates chav-cyclists, as you well know.

Do you think you might be able to persuade a cohort of chavs to arrange
a seaside outing for sick and disabled children?

Go on... have a try... you might even be able to make a start on
rehabilitating you chav-cyclists.

Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<7fa3e510-293e-45cb-9648-5c69c133f126n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29998&group=uk.rec.cycling#29998

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 10:37:38 -0700 (PDT)
Taxi Outing
From: swldxer2022@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 17:37 UTC

QUOTE: The cars were tooting their horns to signal their arrival as they made their way from Edinburgh Zoo to Direlton. ENDS

Misuse of the horn as well - some will have been stationary - another no no.

Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<kf3ngtFav4lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30000&group=uk.rec.cycling#30000

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with
water on Taxi Outing
Date: 16 Jun 2023 18:21:18 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 18:21 UTC

Cyclists, eh?

Spoiling things for others 24/7…

> A mum has spoken out after a cyclist hit their cab during the iconic Edinburgh Taxi Outing.
>
> The 30-year-old was riding in the back of a black cab with her
> six-year-old autistic son during the charity day on June 13. But one
> commuter appeared less than keen to participate.

<snip>

--
Spike

Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<ddaa3632-9e01-4ca6-a206-9e51274a9f06n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30001&group=uk.rec.cycling#30001

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 11:34:36 -0700 (PDT)
Taxi Outing
From: swldxer2022@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 18:34 UTC

QUOTE: customary water pistol with which to target passersby in the spirit of the day ENDS

So these hooligans have been assaulting innocent bystanders with their unwanted and unknown fluids for some time?
Not everyone appreciates your selfish behaviour - try a car meet next time.

Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<kf3ougFb5dcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30002&group=uk.rec.cycling#30002

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
water on Taxi Outing
Date: 16 Jun 2023 18:45:36 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 18:45 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer2022@gmail.com> wrote:

> QUOTE: customary water pistol with which to target passersby in the spirit of the day ENDS

> So these hooligans have been assaulting innocent bystanders with their
> unwanted and unknown fluids for some time?

> Not everyone appreciates your selfish behaviour - try a car meet next time.

Unbelievable…This was a charity run for disadvantaged children…and you’re
complaining.

Bit of a wet blanket, aren’t you.

--
Spike

Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<315bf105-8577-436d-b962-4efa23328de3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30003&group=uk.rec.cycling#30003

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 12:04:29 -0700 (PDT)
Taxi Outing
From: swldxer2022@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 19:04 UTC

On Friday, 16 June 2023 at 19:34:38 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE: customary water pistol with which to target passersby in the spirit of the day ENDS
>
> So these hooligans have been assaulting innocent bystanders with their unwanted and unknown fluids for some time?
> Not everyone appreciates your selfish behaviour - try a car meet next time.

Tell you what, son. When you are old enough, you can fill your windscreen washer bottle with piss and then go around soaking people along with your mates laughing in the back seats. You know you want to.

Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<kf4a85Fdkn1U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30005&group=uk.rec.cycling#30005

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Taxi Outing
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 00:40:54 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 23:40 UTC

On 16/06/2023 06:37 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE: The cars were tooting their horns to signal their arrival as they made their way from Edinburgh Zoo to Direlton. ENDS
>
> Misuse of the horn as well - some will have been stationary - another no no.

Misanthropic lunatic!

But we all knew that.

Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<kf4ab0Fdkn1U5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30006&group=uk.rec.cycling#30006

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Taxi Outing
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 00:42:25 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 23:42 UTC

On 16/06/2023 07:34 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: customary water pistol with which to target passersby in the spirit of the day ENDS
>
> So these hooligans have been assaulting innocent bystanders [chavs] with their unwanted and unknown fluids for some time?
> Not everyone appreciates your selfish behaviour - try a car meet next time.

Try and lose that overdeveloped sense of your own non-importance.

And perhaps grow a sense of humour.

Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<kf4acrFdkn1U6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30007&group=uk.rec.cycling#30007

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Taxi Outing
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 00:43:24 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 23:43 UTC

On 16/06/2023 08:04 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
> On Friday, 16 June 2023 at 19:34:38 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
>> QUOTE: customary water pistol with which to target passersby in the spirit of the day ENDS
>>
>> So these hooligans have been assaulting innocent bystanders with their unwanted and unknown fluids for some time?
>> Not everyone appreciates your selfish behaviour - try a car meet next time.
>
> Tell you what, son. When you are old enough, you can fill your windscreen washer bottle with piss and then go around soaking people along with your mates laughing in the back seats. You know you want to.

To whom are you responding?

Not yourself, obviously.

Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<a827ae23-9478-40be-a55b-a1a57977fe7en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30009&group=uk.rec.cycling#30009

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 22:29:52 -0700 (PDT)
Taxi Outing
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 05:29 UTC

> Tell you what, son. When you are old enough, you can fill your windscreen washer bottle with piss and then go around soaking people along with your mates laughing in the back seats. You know you want to.

This is where it leads to. NOTE REFERENCE TO SCREEN WASH!

QUOTE: A road-rage driver has been jailed after being found guilty of deliberately swerving into a group of cyclists – including two children.

South Derbyshire Magistrates Court heard how John Rafferty “saw the red mist” because he was unable to get past the group of a dozen cyclists, which included two 12-year-old boys, as they were riding two abreast down a country road at Coton in the Clay, near Tutbury in Staffordshire.

The 50-year-old repeatedly honked his horn at the cycling club, the CC Giro from Sutton Coldfield in the West Midlands, swerved into the group three times in an attempt to overtake them and deliberately sprayed his screen wash at them.

After the leader of the group confronted him about his behaviour he chased after him, hit his bike and knocked him off into a hedge during the incident on 26 July last year.

Prosecutor Peter Bettany told the court: "The defendant started to sound his horn for
periods, tried to pull past them and swerved into them on three occasions, deliberately squirting his screen wash as he did so and showering the cyclist.

"One of the lead riders rode past him and started to remonstrate through the window, before pulling in front of him. This seemed to annoy the defendant even more and he drove within inches of the lead rider eventually hitting his back tyre and sending him off his bike and into the side of the road."

After this Rafferty and the group stopped at the scene until the police arrived where he was charged with dangerous driving, cycling news website Road..CC reported.

He later pleaded guilty to charges but accused the cyclists of “getting together” to make sure their statements matched to ensure the maximum prosecution before it came to court, the Derby Telegraph reported.

He was sentenced to 16 weeks in prison, handed him a 26-month road ban and ordered him to pay a £115 victim surcharge.

Sentencing him, District Judge Jonathan Taaffe said: "This involved you using your motor vehicle as a weapon against a vulnerable group of road users in what can be termed a road rage incident.

"Cyclists are vulnerable not because they don't know how to use the road but because they lack protection from impacts such as this. You firstly intimidated them because you wanted to get past them, sounding your horn continuously for 25 or 30 seconds.

"There were cyclists as young as 12 in that group and the way you drove would have caused them fear and anxiety. You attempted to overtake the group and swerved into them on three occasions and using your screen wash against them.

"Finally, when one of them rode past you to remonstrate you ran him off the road and into a hedge. This could have resulted in absolutely catastrophic and life-changing injuries for the cyclist involved."

Speaking outside the court, the unnamed man who was injured in the incident said: "I am in my 60s and I have ridden for more than 50 years, including leading cycling tour holidays in the UK and abroad, and I have never experienced road rage like this in all of that time." ENDS

Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<kf57s0FhsdsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30016&group=uk.rec.cycling#30016

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
water on Taxi Outing
Date: 17 Jun 2023 08:06:24 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 08:06 UTC

>> Tell you what, son. When you are old enough, you can fill your
>> windscreen washer bottle with piss and then go around soaking people
>> along with your mates laughing in the back seats. You know you want to.

> This is where it leads to. NOTE REFERENCE TO SCREEN WASH!

*Date of incident 26 July 2016*

> [...]
>
> "There were cyclists as young as 12 in that group and the way you drove
> would have caused them fear and anxiety. You attempted to overtake the
> group and swerved into them on three occasions and using your screen wash against them.
>
> "Finally, when one of them rode past you to remonstrate you ran him off
> the road and into a hedge. This could have resulted in absolutely
> catastrophic and life-changing injuries for the cyclist involved."
>
> Speaking outside the court, the unnamed man who was injured in the
> incident said: "I am in my 60s and I have ridden for more than 50 years,
> including leading cycling tour holidays in the UK and abroad, and I have
> never experienced road rage like this in all of that time." ENDS

--
Spike

Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<39caf496-4c8b-450c-b9d2-246b237faca7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30019&group=uk.rec.cycling#30019

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 02:36:58 -0700 (PDT)
Taxi Outing
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 09:36 UTC

A POLICE car has been spotted soaking two cyclists and people are asking if they should be fined.

The video was uploaded to TikTok by user @nickdaw1 and shows a flooded London street.

It's shot using a smartphone from high up above the flooded road and starts by showing cars driving through the deep water.

The caption on the video reads; 'wait till the end,' and 'got them both.'

A few seconds in, a siren can be heard approaching the section of the road in shot and a police car comes into view.

At the same time, a couple of cyclists can be made out coming along the drenched road in the same direction.

As the police car roars past it hits a stretch of water and gives both cyclists a proper soaking.

The video ends with the police car speeding off up the road and you can hear shouting in the background - perhaps from the cyclists.

But people in the comments were quick to point out that the police driver could be fined for the act.

Under section three of the Road Traffic Act 1988, it is an offence to drive "without reasonable consideration for other persons."

According to the Crown Prosecution Service, this includes "driving through a puddle causing pedestrians to be splashed.

Typically, this will land you with a £100 fixed penalty notice and three points on your licence if you're caught by the police.

But if you're considered to be driving your motor in a manner that "amounts to a clear act of incompetence, selfishness, impatience or aggressiveness" then you can get a maximum level five fine, which is currently set at £5,000.

@cherryruthmoore said: "that is a £5000 fine! according to the new law!!!😳"

@adam.pearcy said: "£5000 fine according to the law… and it’d be worth every penny."

@Danielpumphrey said: "Hope they got a £5k fine! One rule for them, another for us."

While @al_1001 said: "9 points and a £5000 fine coming your way 😆"

Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<kf5r08Fkms1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30025&group=uk.rec.cycling#30025

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
water on Taxi Outing
Date: 17 Jun 2023 13:32:56 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 13:32 UTC

“…a siren can be heard approaching the section of the road in shot and a
police car comes into view.”

The best get-out-of-jail-free card they could have held.

Can you imagine what @cherryruthmoore, @adam.pearcy, @Danielpumphrey, and
@al_1001 might have to say if they’re trapped on the upper floors of a
burning building, shouting and screaming on the phone, and the Fire Brigade
say “Sorry, duckie, we’re coming as fast as we can but the road’s wet and
we don’t want to splash a cyclist”.

🙄

> A POLICE car has been spotted soaking two cyclists and people are asking
> if they should be fined.
>
> The video was uploaded to TikTok by user @nickdaw1 and shows a flooded London street.
>
> It's shot using a smartphone from high up above the flooded road and
> starts by showing cars driving through the deep water.
>
> The caption on the video reads; 'wait till the end,' and 'got them both.'
>
> A few seconds in, a siren can be heard approaching the section of the
> road in shot and a police car comes into view.
>
> At the same time, a couple of cyclists can be made out coming along the
> drenched road in the same direction.
>
> As the police car roars past it hits a stretch of water and gives both
> cyclists a proper soaking.
>
> The video ends with the police car speeding off up the road and you can
> hear shouting in the background - perhaps from the cyclists.
>
> But people in the comments were quick to point out that the police driver
> could be fined for the act.
>
> Under section three of the Road Traffic Act 1988, it is an offence to
> drive "without reasonable consideration for other persons."
>
> According to the Crown Prosecution Service, this includes "driving
> through a puddle causing pedestrians to be splashed.
>
> Typically, this will land you with a £100 fixed penalty notice and three
> points on your licence if you're caught by the police.
>
> But if you're considered to be driving your motor in a manner that
> "amounts to a clear act of incompetence, selfishness, impatience or
> aggressiveness" then you can get a maximum level five fine, which is
> currently set at £5,000.
>
> @cherryruthmoore said: "that is a £5000 fine! according to the new law!!!😳"
>
> @adam.pearcy said: "£5000 fine according to the law… and it’d be worth every penny."
>
> @Danielpumphrey said: "Hope they got a £5k fine! One rule for them, another for us."
>
> While @al_1001 said: "9 points and a £5000 fine coming your way 😆"

--
Spike

Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<b19e5458-bb51-4e66-8745-eaa81ede1a16n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30027&group=uk.rec.cycling#30027

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 08:40:09 -0700 (PDT)
Taxi Outing
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 15:40 UTC

Under section three of the Road Traffic Act 1988, it is illegal to splash someone as it amounts to driving “without reasonable consideration for other persons”. Those found guilty of deliberately driving through puddles and splashing pedestrians will likely be hit with a £100 fixed penalty notice and three penalty points if caught by police.

However, should motorists be deemed to be driving in a manner that “amounts to a clear act of incompetence, selfishness, impatience, and aggressiveness” then the maximum punishment of a £5,000 fine could be levelled.

If drivers fail to pay the £100 fixed penalty or refuse the penalty notice they could also face the maximum £5,000 fine if the case is taken to court.

Pete Williams, RAC road safety spokesperson, called on motorists to show respect and care for other road users and pedestrians.

He said: “Anyone unfortunate enough to have suffered a drenching by an inconsiderate motorist splashing them when driving through a puddle would probably welcome a sizeable financial penalty for the driver. "Since 2013 careless driving can be dealt with by a Fixed Penalty Notice with a £100 fine and three penalty points.

"If, however, they refuse [the notice] then they will face a magistrate who could impose a fine up to £5,000, although the maximum is very unlikely.”

The Met Office issued two yellow weather warnings for rain earlier this week, with both affecting parts of Wales and South West England.

It warned of persistent heavy rain, which could lead to floods, possible power cuts and the potential for some communities to be cut off. Spray and flooding can also lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures in the affected areas.

Andy Moody, Director at GoShorty, warned drivers of the risk of receiving fines or penalty points on their licence for simple actions.

He said: “Getting 12 points on your driving licence in less than three years could get you disqualified from driving.

“On top of that, getting points on your licence will also result in the increase of your insurance policy, as your insurance provider will want to be informed about all your motoring convictions in the past three years (five in some cases).

Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<kf68rgFmo8aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30029&group=uk.rec.cycling#30029

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
water on Taxi Outing
Date: 17 Jun 2023 17:29:20 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 17:29 UTC

> Under section three of the Road Traffic Act 1988, it is illegal to splash
> someone as it amounts to driving “without reasonable consideration for
> other persons”. Those found guilty of deliberately driving through
> puddles and splashing pedestrians will likely be hit with a £100 fixed
> penalty notice and three penalty points if caught by police.
>
> However, should motorists be deemed to be driving in a manner that
> “amounts to a clear act of incompetence, selfishness, impatience, and
> aggressiveness” then the maximum punishment of a £5,000 fine could be levelled.

> If drivers fail to pay the £100 fixed penalty or refuse the penalty
> notice they could also face the maximum £5,000 fine if the case is taken to court.

Ah! So @cherryruthmoore, @adam.pearcy, @Danielpumphrey, and @al_1001, who
were screaming about a £5000 fine, had missed out a vital step in the
process.

Thanks for clearing that up.

> Pete Williams, RAC road safety spokesperson, called on motorists to show
> respect and care for other road users and pedestrians.

Well, there’s no point in calling on cyclists to show respect and care for
other road users and pedestrians, as Auriol Grey found out.

--
Spike

Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<f539ce5c-a003-4143-96e0-5014d24661b0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30030&group=uk.rec.cycling#30030

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 10:35:40 -0700 (PDT)
Taxi Outing
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 17:35 UTC

You may laugh when splashing pedestrians in your car on rainy days, but you may actually be committing a criminal offence.

It doesn’t matter if it’s accidental or on purpose - if the splashing is deemed to be deliberate and when it is as a result of incompetence, inadvertence or inexperience, you could get fined, according to the Crown Prosecution Service.

However, police officers are asked to judge each case individually.

The maximum punishment is a level five fine of £5,000 in instances where driving “amounts to a clear act of incompetence, selfishness, impatience or aggressiveness”.

Under section three of the Road Traffic Act 1988, it is an offence to drive “without reasonable consideration for other persons”, and this includes any instance of “driving through a puddle causing pedestrians to be splashed”.

Luckily, it’s more likely that you’ll be issued with a £100 fixed penalty notice and three penalty points if you are caught.

Re: Moment Edinburgh chav-cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<kf6gmqFntc7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30031&group=uk.rec.cycling#30031

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
on Taxi Outing
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 20:43:23 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 19:43 UTC

> You may laugh when splashing pedestrians in your car on rainy days, but you may actually be committing a criminal offence.

What a STUPID attempt to divert from the actual subject of the story -
which was a *disabled* *child* splashing a passing humourless
chav-on-a-bike with a water pistol.

> It doesn’t matter if it’s accidental or on purpose - if the splashing is deemed to be deliberate...

Are you quite right in the head?

Re-read what you've just written.

It sums to "If it's deliberate, it doesn't matter whether it's deliberate".

But hey... it IS Mad mason's post...

[ ... ]

> Under section three of the Road Traffic Act 1988, it is an offence to drive “without reasonable consideration for other persons”, and this includes any instance of “driving through a puddle causing pedestrians to be splashed”.

What does it say about water pistols in the hands of a child?

> Luckily, it’s more likely that you’ll be issued with a £100 fixed penalty notice and three penalty points if you are caught.

Mason: prize buffoon.

Re: Moment Edinburgh chav-cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<kf6gqkFntc7U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30032&group=uk.rec.cycling#30032

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
on Taxi Outing
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 20:45:24 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 19:45 UTC

On 17/06/2023 10:36 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> A POLICE car has been spotted soaking two cyclists and people are asking if they should be fined.
>
> The video was uploaded to TikTok by user @nickdaw1 and shows a flooded London street.
>
> It's shot using a smartphone from high up above the flooded road and starts by showing cars driving through the deep water.
>
> The caption on the video reads; 'wait till the end,' and 'got them both.'
>
> A few seconds in, a siren can be heard approaching the section of the road in shot and a police car comes into view.
>
> At the same time, a couple of cyclists can be made out coming along the drenched road in the same direction.
>
> As the police car roars past it hits a stretch of water and gives both cyclists a proper soaking.
>
> The video ends with the police car speeding off up the road and you can hear shouting in the background - perhaps from the cyclists.
>
> But people in the comments were quick to point out that the police driver could be fined for the act.
>
> Under section three of the Road Traffic Act 1988, it is an offence to drive "without reasonable consideration for other persons."
>
> According to the Crown Prosecution Service, this includes "driving through a puddle causing pedestrians to be splashed.
>
> Typically, this will land you with a £100 fixed penalty notice and three points on your licence if you're caught by the police.
>
> But if you're considered to be driving your motor in a manner that "amounts to a clear act of incompetence, selfishness, impatience or aggressiveness" then you can get a maximum level five fine, which is currently set at £5,000.
>
> @cherryruthmoore said: "that is a £5000 fine! according to the new law!!!😳"
>
> @adam.pearcy said: "£5000 fine according to the law… and it’d be worth every penny."
>
> @Danielpumphrey said: "Hope they got a £5k fine! One rule for them, another for us."
>
> While @al_1001 said: "9 points and a £5000 fine coming your way 😆"

Yeah.... go on... report them. You know you want to...

See whether it improves the regard in which you chavs-on-bikes are held
by the police.

Re: Moment Edinburgh chav loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<kf6gufFntc7U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30033&group=uk.rec.cycling#30033

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Moment Edinburgh chav loses it when splashed with water on Taxi
Outing
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 20:47:28 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 19:47 UTC

> Under section three of the Road Traffic Act 1988, it is illegal to splash someone as it amounts to driving “without reasonable consideration for other persons”. Those found guilty of deliberately driving through puddles and splashing pedestrians will likely be hit with a £100 fixed penalty notice and three penalty points if caught by police.

Does that cover children with water pistols?

Are you TOTALLY without a sense of fun or humour?

[That was rhetorical. Everyone knows the answer. The only thing you've
ever found funny was when your wife got a GATSO speeding ticket.]

Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<500959e1-8fb8-4a95-8bb8-f8209d61e637n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30038&group=uk.rec.cycling#30038

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 13:01:48 -0700 (PDT)
Taxi Outing
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 20:01 UTC

Drivers across the UK face fines of up to £5,000 for an immature action when in control of a car in wet conditions.

Amid heavy rain across the UK in recent months, driving conditions have been far from ideal.

One rule drivers need to know involves driving in puddles of water in wet conditions.

Although the urge to soak a pedestrian may be strong, it has been highlighted as a £5,000 offence according to research from Zuto.

According to the Road Traffic Act 1988 in reference to careless and inconsiderate driving, the law is clear.

It states: “If a person drives a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road or place, he is guilty of an offence.”

This means that speeding up through a puddle at the side of the road to splash an unsuspecting pedestrian is actually illegal and can land you a fine of up to £5,000!

The best way to avoid this is to either slow down when going through the puddle (if safe to do so) to minimise the impact or to go around the puddle and avoid it completely (again, only if safe to do so).

So, although it may seem like a harmless prank, it’s worth thinking twice the next time you drive in wet conditions.

Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<kf6ochFp117U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30044&group=uk.rec.cycling#30044

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
water on Taxi Outing
Date: 17 Jun 2023 21:54:25 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 21:54 UTC

This incomplete report has left out a necessary step in the application
legal sanction for this offence, so treat the below with some caution.

> Drivers across the UK face fines of up to £5,000 for an immature action
> when in control of a car in wet conditions.
>
> Amid heavy rain across the UK in recent months, driving conditions have
> been far from ideal.
>
> One rule drivers need to know involves driving in puddles of water in wet conditions.
>
> Although the urge to soak a pedestrian may be strong, it has been
> highlighted as a £5,000 offence according to research from Zuto.
>
> According to the Road Traffic Act 1988 in reference to careless and
> inconsiderate driving, the law is clear.
>
> It states: “If a person drives a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road
> or other public place without due care and attention, or without
> reasonable consideration for other persons using the road or place, he is
> guilty of an offence.”
>
> This means that speeding up through a puddle at the side of the road to
> splash an unsuspecting pedestrian is actually illegal and can land you a
> fine of up to £5,000!
>
> The best way to avoid this is to either slow down when going through the
> puddle (if safe to do so) to minimise the impact or to go around the
> puddle and avoid it completely (again, only if safe to do so).
>
> So, although it may seem like a harmless prank, it’s worth thinking twice
> the next time you drive in wet conditions.

--
Spike

Re: Moment Edinburgh cyclist loses it when splashed with water on Taxi Outing

<23cda1f0-479c-4607-9897-d66cc196c576n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30045&group=uk.rec.cycling#30045

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 23:13:30 -0700 (PDT)
Taxi Outing
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 06:13 UTC

When it rains, puddles collect in and near the gutter and in the hundreds of thousands of potholes that litter the UK’s roads. Sometimes it’s hard to avoid them. For pedestrians on the pavement they are at risk of being splashed if a vehicle drives through the puddle. Is it illegal, though?

Yes, splashing pedestrians is illegal and you can be prosecuted under Section 3 of the Road Traffic Act for careless, aggressive or inconsiderate behaviour on the road. You could be summoned to court, fined £150 and given three penalty points. The same applies to cyclists.

If you are convicted then you could see an increase in your insurance premiums..