<slashdot> my US geograpy is lousy...lol <knghtbrd> so's mine and I live here

aus+uk / uk.transport.london / OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
+* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralTweed
|+- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRoland Perry
|+- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|+- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|+* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralhounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
||+* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRoland Perry
|||`* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralChristopher A. Lee
||| `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRoland Perry
|||  `- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralGraeme Wall
||+* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|||`* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralhounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
||| +* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
||| `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|||  +* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralDavid Williams
|||  |`- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|||  `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRoland Perry
|||   `- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
||+- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralMB
||`* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|| +- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralMB
|| +* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralMB
|| |`- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralmartin.coffee
|| +* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRoland Perry
|| |`- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|| `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralhounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
||  `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralCharles Ellson
||   +- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralhounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
||   +* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralMarland
||   |`- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralCharles Ellson
||   `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralLondon calling
||    +- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralTweed
||    `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralCertes
||     `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRobin
||      +- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralChris J Dixon
||      +- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralhounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
||      `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralCertes
||       `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
||        `- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralCertes
|`* Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralulf_kutzner
| `* Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralMuttley
|  +* Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralulf_kutzner
|  |`- Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralMuttley
|  `* Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|   `- Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralMuttley
+- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralAllan
+* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralBevan Price
|`- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
+* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|+* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralGraeme Wall
||`* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRoland Perry
|| `- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralGraeme Wall
|`- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRoland Perry
`* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralDavid Williams
 +- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
 `- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner

Pages:1234
OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tfm0s6$22n7l$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4762&group=uk.transport.london#4762

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Subject: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 01:09:26 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:3+I53DZz8R+ZDO3rJsJAjfjV9yg=
 by: Recliner - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 01:09 UTC

Foreign heads of state and their spouses heading to London for the state
funeral for Queen Elizabeth II have been asked to arrive in the U.K. on
commercial flights and banned from using helicopters to get around.

World leaders have also been told they cannot use their own state cars to
attend the funeral at Westminster Abbey on September 19 — and will instead
be bussed in en masse from a site in west London.

Westminster Abbey will be so packed for the event that it will be
impossible for more than a single, senior representative per country and
their other half to attend, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development
Office (FCDO) lamented in the official protocol message regarding the
event.

In the document, sent to overseas embassies late Saturday night, the
department said it “regrets that, because of limited space at the state
funeral service and associated events, no other members of the principal
guest’s family, staff or entourage may be admitted.”

Heads of state unable to attend may choose someone else as their official
representative, such as a head of government or senior minister.

<https://www.politico.eu/article/queen-elizabeth-joe-biden-king-charles-westminster-abbeyonly-heads-of-state-plus-one-to-attend-queen-elizabeths-funeral/>

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tfmhso$26m9f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4763&group=uk.transport.london#4763

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 05:59:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:rB8NDrud6zMUPa4HCmCiX41fHCc=
 by: Tweed - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 05:59 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Foreign heads of state and their spouses heading to London for the state
> funeral for Queen Elizabeth II have been asked to arrive in the U.K. on
> commercial flights and banned from using helicopters to get around.
>
> World leaders have also been told they cannot use their own state cars to
> attend the funeral at Westminster Abbey on September 19 — and will instead
> be bussed in en masse from a site in west London.
>
> …
>
> Westminster Abbey will be so packed for the event that it will be
> impossible for more than a single, senior representative per country and
> their other half to attend, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development
> Office (FCDO) lamented in the official protocol message regarding the
> event.
>
> In the document, sent to overseas embassies late Saturday night, the
> department said it “regrets that, because of limited space at the state
> funeral service and associated events, no other members of the principal
> guest’s family, staff or entourage may be admitted.”
>
> Heads of state unable to attend may choose someone else as their official
> representative, such as a head of government or senior minister.
>
> <https://www.politico.eu/article/queen-elizabeth-joe-biden-king-charles-westminster-abbeyonly-heads-of-state-plus-one-to-attend-queen-elizabeths-funeral/>

Heads of State in a bus/coach? Can’t see Biden going by bus! Whole,idea
sounds like a security nightmare. All eggs in one basket and all that.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<jo8ckvFpac4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4764&group=uk.transport.london#4764

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Allan)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 10:32:14 +0100
 by: Allan - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 09:32 UTC

On 12/09/2022 02:09, Recliner wrote:
> Foreign heads of state and their spouses heading to London for the state
> funeral for Queen Elizabeth II have been asked to arrive in the U.K. on
> commercial flights and banned from using helicopters to get around.
>
> World leaders have also been told they cannot use their own state cars to
> attend the funeral at Westminster Abbey on September 19 — and will instead
> be bussed in en masse from a site in west London.
>
> …
>
> Westminster Abbey will be so packed for the event that it will be
> impossible for more than a single, senior representative per country and
> their other half to attend, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development
> Office (FCDO) lamented in the official protocol message regarding the
> event.
>
> In the document, sent to overseas embassies late Saturday night, the
> department said it “regrets that, because of limited space at the state
> funeral service and associated events, no other members of the principal
> guest’s family, staff or entourage may be admitted.”
>
> Heads of state unable to attend may choose someone else as their official
> representative, such as a head of government or senior minister.
>
> <https://www.politico.eu/article/queen-elizabeth-joe-biden-king-charles-westminster-abbeyonly-heads-of-state-plus-one-to-attend-queen-elizabeths-funeral/>

There's always Zoom :-)

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<sUsuTZB8DwHjFAbt@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4765&group=uk.transport.london#4765

From: roland@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 10:50:52 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 09:50 UTC

In message <tfmhso$26m9f$1@dont-email.me>, at 05:59:52 on Mon, 12 Sep
2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Foreign heads of state and their spouses heading to London for the state
>> funeral for Queen Elizabeth II have been asked to arrive in the U.K. on
>> commercial flights and banned from using helicopters to get around.
>>
>> World leaders have also been told they cannot use their own state cars to
>> attend the funeral at Westminster Abbey on September 19 — and will instead
>> be bussed in en masse from a site in west London.
>>
>> …
>>
>> Westminster Abbey will be so packed for the event that it will be
>> impossible for more than a single, senior representative per country and
>> their other half to attend, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development
>> Office (FCDO) lamented in the official protocol message regarding the
>> event.
>>
>> In the document, sent to overseas embassies late Saturday night, the
>> department said it “regrets that, because of limited space at the state
>> funeral service and associated events, no other members of the principal
>> guest’s family, staff or entourage may be admitted.”
>>
>> Heads of state unable to attend may choose someone else as their official
>> representative, such as a head of government or senior minister.
>>

>><https://www.politico.eu/article/queen-elizabeth-joe-biden-king-charles
>>-westminster-abbeyonly-heads-of-state-plus-one-to-attend-queen-elizabet
>>hs-funeral/>
>
>Heads of State in a bus/coach? Can’t see Biden going by bus!

Me neither, it'll be interesting to see what transpires. Another part of
the advice (which wasn't in the OP) is to arrive in London at least a
day early, whereas he's more into whistle-stopping.

There are some fairly obvious compromises, like having him arrive at 4am
at one the many secure venues within the Westminster campus. But they
are all grown-ups, and can work something out.

>Whole,idea sounds like a security nightmare. All eggs in one basket and
>all that.

There's lots and lots of baskets, if you mean coaches. The Abbey is one
basket though.
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tfmvjf$27ued$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4766&group=uk.transport.london#4766

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 09:53:51 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:RcT56gG0e7LC1C1yVlfK6QkKceE=
 by: Recliner - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 09:53 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Foreign heads of state and their spouses heading to London for the state
>> funeral for Queen Elizabeth II have been asked to arrive in the U.K. on
>> commercial flights and banned from using helicopters to get around.
>>
>> World leaders have also been told they cannot use their own state cars to
>> attend the funeral at Westminster Abbey on September 19 — and will instead
>> be bussed in en masse from a site in west London.
>>
>> …
>>
>> Westminster Abbey will be so packed for the event that it will be
>> impossible for more than a single, senior representative per country and
>> their other half to attend, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development
>> Office (FCDO) lamented in the official protocol message regarding the
>> event.
>>
>> In the document, sent to overseas embassies late Saturday night, the
>> department said it “regrets that, because of limited space at the state
>> funeral service and associated events, no other members of the principal
>> guest’s family, staff or entourage may be admitted.”
>>
>> Heads of state unable to attend may choose someone else as their official
>> representative, such as a head of government or senior minister.
>>
>> <https://www.politico.eu/article/queen-elizabeth-joe-biden-king-charles-westminster-abbeyonly-heads-of-state-plus-one-to-attend-queen-elizabeths-funeral/>
>>

> Heads of State in a bus/coach? Can’t see Biden going by bus! Whole,idea
> sounds like a security nightmare. All eggs in one basket and all that.

At least this solves one dilemma for Biden. Historically the US president
would invite former presidents who had known the dead leader to accompany
them on AF1, but he certainly wouldn't want Trump on board.

<https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/09/11/queen-elizabeth-iis-funeral-foreign-leaders-banned-travelling/>

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tfn07r$28096$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4767&group=uk.transport.london#4767

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 10:04:43 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:MyYahbGyL8VNhzzzNOkqrR90Hoc=
 by: Recliner - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 10:04 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Foreign heads of state and their spouses heading to London for the state
>> funeral for Queen Elizabeth II have been asked to arrive in the U.K. on
>> commercial flights and banned from using helicopters to get around.
>>
>> World leaders have also been told they cannot use their own state cars to
>> attend the funeral at Westminster Abbey on September 19 — and will instead
>> be bussed in en masse from a site in west London.
>>
>> …
>>
>> Westminster Abbey will be so packed for the event that it will be
>> impossible for more than a single, senior representative per country and
>> their other half to attend, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development
>> Office (FCDO) lamented in the official protocol message regarding the
>> event.
>>
>> In the document, sent to overseas embassies late Saturday night, the
>> department said it “regrets that, because of limited space at the state
>> funeral service and associated events, no other members of the principal
>> guest’s family, staff or entourage may be admitted.”
>>
>> Heads of state unable to attend may choose someone else as their official
>> representative, such as a head of government or senior minister.
>>
>> <https://www.politico.eu/article/queen-elizabeth-joe-biden-king-charles-westminster-abbeyonly-heads-of-state-plus-one-to-attend-queen-elizabeths-funeral/>
>>

> Heads of State in a bus/coach? Can’t see Biden going by bus! Whole,idea
> sounds like a security nightmare. All eggs in one basket and all that.

Looks like Australia is organising a plane-share to bring along the leaders
of Pacific island countries. They'll have a very long journey. This may be
the biggest gathering of heads of state and government in world history.

Queen’s funeral: Joe Biden caught officials off guard with plan to attend

<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/6684e724-31fc-11ed-a08f-af84e8072b22?shareToken=1feaf547393c0b60854faf073d55bdf2>

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tfn2ss$286fc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4768&group=uk.transport.london#4768

From: bevanprice666@gmail.com (Bevan Price)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 11:50:04 +0100
 by: Bevan Price - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 10:50 UTC

On 12/09/2022 02:09, Recliner wrote:
> Foreign heads of state and their spouses heading to London for the state
> funeral for Queen Elizabeth II have been asked to arrive in the U.K. on
> commercial flights and banned from using helicopters to get around.
>
> World leaders have also been told they cannot use their own state cars to
> attend the funeral at Westminster Abbey on September 19 — and will instead
> be bussed in en masse from a site in west London.
>
> …
>
> Westminster Abbey will be so packed for the event that it will be
> impossible for more than a single, senior representative per country and
> their other half to attend, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development
> Office (FCDO) lamented in the official protocol message regarding the
> event.
>
> In the document, sent to overseas embassies late Saturday night, the
> department said it “regrets that, because of limited space at the state
> funeral service and associated events, no other members of the principal
> guest’s family, staff or entourage may be admitted.”
>
> Heads of state unable to attend may choose someone else as their official
> representative, such as a head of government or senior minister.
>
> <https://www.politico.eu/article/queen-elizabeth-joe-biden-king-charles-westminster-abbeyonly-heads-of-state-plus-one-to-attend-queen-elizabeths-funeral/>

Inevitably, there will probably be a few "special case exceptions".

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tfn47k$28agu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4769&group=uk.transport.london#4769

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 11:12:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:aggpRKooxXFK1tF3u9mqtKy6XCo=
 by: Recliner - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 11:12 UTC

Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/09/2022 02:09, Recliner wrote:
>> Foreign heads of state and their spouses heading to London for the state
>> funeral for Queen Elizabeth II have been asked to arrive in the U.K. on
>> commercial flights and banned from using helicopters to get around.
>>
>> World leaders have also been told they cannot use their own state cars to
>> attend the funeral at Westminster Abbey on September 19 — and will instead
>> be bussed in en masse from a site in west London.
>>
>> …
>>
>> Westminster Abbey will be so packed for the event that it will be
>> impossible for more than a single, senior representative per country and
>> their other half to attend, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development
>> Office (FCDO) lamented in the official protocol message regarding the
>> event.
>>
>> In the document, sent to overseas embassies late Saturday night, the
>> department said it “regrets that, because of limited space at the state
>> funeral service and associated events, no other members of the principal
>> guest’s family, staff or entourage may be admitted.”
>>
>> Heads of state unable to attend may choose someone else as their official
>> representative, such as a head of government or senior minister.
>>
>> <https://www.politico.eu/article/queen-elizabeth-joe-biden-king-charles-westminster-abbeyonly-heads-of-state-plus-one-to-attend-queen-elizabeths-funeral/>
>>

> Inevitably, there will probably be a few "special case exceptions".

Yes, I'm sure that's the case. But those arrivals may have to be spread
across multiple airports. They may then have to park their planes further
away, as happened with the ever-so-green COP event in Glasgow.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tfn91v$28nbn$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4770&group=uk.transport.london#4770

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 12:35:11 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:pT7N7ryL7CVQlqFBFGGel8wcGPE=
 by: Recliner - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 12:35 UTC

One thing to remember in all this: we have a brand new PM, a brand new
Foreign Secretary, a brand new Home Secretary and only an acting chief of
the Metropolitan Police. Ironically, the only one who's an old hand at
state funerals, and has been preparing for this one for decades, is the one
person who is, by definition, new in his job.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tfnb7t$28sgi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4771&group=uk.transport.london#4771

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 14:12:29 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 13:12 UTC

On 12/09/2022 13:35, Recliner wrote:
> One thing to remember in all this: we have a brand new PM, a brand new
> Foreign Secretary, a brand new Home Secretary and only an acting chief of
> the Metropolitan Police. Ironically, the only one who's an old hand at
> state funerals, and has been preparing for this one for decades, is the one
> person who is, by definition, new in his job.

And he has had no hand in the detailed organisation either.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<YjoTekSvIzHjFAOR@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4772&group=uk.transport.london#4772

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 14:20:47 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 13:20 UTC

In message <tfnb7t$28sgi$1@dont-email.me>, at 14:12:29 on Mon, 12 Sep
2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>On 12/09/2022 13:35, Recliner wrote:
>> One thing to remember in all this: we have a brand new PM, a brand new
>> Foreign Secretary, a brand new Home Secretary and only an acting chief of
>> the Metropolitan Police. Ironically, the only one who's an old hand at
>> state funerals, and has been preparing for this one for decades, is the one
>> person who is, by definition, new in his job.
>
>And he has had no hand in the detailed organisation either.

I'm sure he has, because his wishes regarding what happens in the
current 10 (or whatever) days would need to be sought, in detail.
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<dz6S6MSmHzHjFAvP@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4773&group=uk.transport.london#4773

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 14:19:34 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 13:19 UTC

In message <tfn91v$28nbn$2@dont-email.me>, at 12:35:11 on Mon, 12 Sep
2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>One thing to remember in all this: we have a brand new PM, a brand new
>Foreign Secretary, a brand new Home Secretary and only an acting chief of
>the Metropolitan Police. Ironically, the only one who's an old hand at
>state funerals, and has been preparing for this one for decades, is the one
>person who is, by definition, new in his job.

They had the chap who is actually in charge of planning this stuff on TV
earlier. He's been doing it for a very long time.
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tfnc2l$28unu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4774&group=uk.transport.london#4774

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 14:26:45 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 13:26 UTC

On 12/09/2022 14:20, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <tfnb7t$28sgi$1@dont-email.me>, at 14:12:29 on Mon, 12 Sep
> 2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>> On 12/09/2022 13:35, Recliner wrote:
>>> One thing to remember in all this: we have a brand new PM, a brand new
>>> Foreign Secretary, a brand new Home Secretary and only an acting
>>> chief of
>>> the Metropolitan Police. Ironically, the only one who's an old hand at
>>> state funerals, and has been preparing for this one for decades, is
>>> the one
>>> person who is, by definition, new in his job.
>>
>> And he has had no hand in the detailed organisation either.
>
> I'm sure he has, because his wishes regarding what happens in the
> current 10 (or whatever) days would need to be sought, in detail.

I was referring to the previous funerals, in the context of being "an
old hand".

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tfnjii$18km$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4775&group=uk.transport.london#4775

From: hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:34:42 +0100
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 15:34 UTC

On 12/09/2022 06:59, Tweed wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Foreign heads of state and their spouses heading to London for the state
>> funeral for Queen Elizabeth II have been asked to arrive in the U.K. on
>> commercial flights and banned from using helicopters to get around.
>>
>> World leaders have also been told they cannot use their own state cars to
>> attend the funeral at Westminster Abbey on September 19 — and will instead
>> be bussed in en masse from a site in west London.
>>
>> …
>>
>> Westminster Abbey will be so packed for the event that it will be
>> impossible for more than a single, senior representative per country and
>> their other half to attend, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development
>> Office (FCDO) lamented in the official protocol message regarding the
>> event.
>>
>> In the document, sent to overseas embassies late Saturday night, the
>> department said it “regrets that, because of limited space at the state
>> funeral service and associated events, no other members of the principal
>> guest’s family, staff or entourage may be admitted.”
>>
>> Heads of state unable to attend may choose someone else as their official
>> representative, such as a head of government or senior minister.
>>
>> <https://www.politico.eu/article/queen-elizabeth-joe-biden-king-charles-westminster-abbeyonly-heads-of-state-plus-one-to-attend-queen-elizabeths-funeral/>
>>

> Heads of State in a bus/coach? Can’t see Biden going by bus! Whole,idea
> sounds like a security nightmare. All eggs in one basket and all that.

Secret Service simply would not permit Biden to travel in anything but
the Beast.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<KUNnDtW4Y1HjFAur@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4776&group=uk.transport.london#4776

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:54:32 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 15:54 UTC

In message <tfnjii$18km$1@gioia.aioe.org>, at 16:34:42 on Mon, 12 Sep
2022, "hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk" <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> remarked:
>On 12/09/2022 06:59, Tweed wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Foreign heads of state and their spouses heading to London for the state
>>> funeral for Queen Elizabeth II have been asked to arrive in the U.K. on
>>> commercial flights and banned from using helicopters to get around.
>>>
>>> World leaders have also been told they cannot use their own state cars to
>>> attend the funeral at Westminster Abbey on September 19 — and will instead
>>> be bussed in en masse from a site in west London.
>>>
>>> …
>>>
>>> Westminster Abbey will be so packed for the event that it will be
>>> impossible for more than a single, senior representative per country and
>>> their other half to attend, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development
>>> Office (FCDO) lamented in the official protocol message regarding the
>>> event.
>>>
>>> In the document, sent to overseas embassies late Saturday night, the
>>> department said it “regrets that, because of limited space at the state
>>> funeral service and associated events, no other members of the principal
>>> guest’s family, staff or entourage may be admitted.”
>>>
>>> Heads of state unable to attend may choose someone else as their official
>>> representative, such as a head of government or senior minister.
>>>

>>><https://www.politico.eu/article/queen-elizabeth-joe-biden-king-charle
>>>s-westminster-abbeyonly-heads-of-state-plus-one-to-attend-queen-elizab
>>>eths-funeral/>
>>>
>> Heads of State in a bus/coach? Can’t see Biden going by bus!
>>Whole,idea sounds like a security nightmare. All eggs in one basket
>>and all that.
>
>Secret Service simply would not permit Biden to travel in anything but
>the Beast.

What if they dropped him off at Downing St, and then he got a lift off
Truss (will she get a car, or have to walk?) Although actually they
could walk inside The Treasury and be only just across the road from the
Abbey.

Or maybe there's a secret tunnel anyway (not full of mothballed steam
engines, though).
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tfno5v$2a2k5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4777&group=uk.transport.london#4777

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:53:19 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:YNId0kqm0W/56l7OwFR77QqHRlM=
 by: Recliner - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:53 UTC

hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 12/09/2022 06:59, Tweed wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Foreign heads of state and their spouses heading to London for the state
>>> funeral for Queen Elizabeth II have been asked to arrive in the U.K. on
>>> commercial flights and banned from using helicopters to get around.
>>>
>>> World leaders have also been told they cannot use their own state cars to
>>> attend the funeral at Westminster Abbey on September 19 — and will instead
>>> be bussed in en masse from a site in west London.
>>>
>>> …
>>>
>>> Westminster Abbey will be so packed for the event that it will be
>>> impossible for more than a single, senior representative per country and
>>> their other half to attend, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development
>>> Office (FCDO) lamented in the official protocol message regarding the
>>> event.
>>>
>>> In the document, sent to overseas embassies late Saturday night, the
>>> department said it “regrets that, because of limited space at the state
>>> funeral service and associated events, no other members of the principal
>>> guest’s family, staff or entourage may be admitted.”
>>>
>>> Heads of state unable to attend may choose someone else as their official
>>> representative, such as a head of government or senior minister.
>>>
>>> <https://www.politico.eu/article/queen-elizabeth-joe-biden-king-charles-westminster-abbeyonly-heads-of-state-plus-one-to-attend-queen-elizabeths-funeral/>
>>>

>> Heads of State in a bus/coach? Can’t see Biden going by bus! Whole,idea
>> sounds like a security nightmare. All eggs in one basket and all that.
>
> Secret Service simply would not permit Biden to travel in anything but
> the Beast.

The president probably travels more often in the armoured Chevy Suburban
vehicles, including during the G7 in Cornwall.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<33puhh5rh8o9qafcgih3psffg07vov6s8n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4778&group=uk.transport.london#4778

From: c.lee@fairpoint.net (Christopher A. Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 11:55:58 -0500
 by: Christopher A. Lee - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:55 UTC

On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:54:32 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
wrote:

>Or maybe there's a secret tunnel anyway (not full of mothballed steam
>engines, though).

Westminster Abbey was a Castle, not a Grange.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<+qEKc3ifq2HjFAbd@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4779&group=uk.transport.london#4779

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 18:21:35 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 17:21 UTC

In message <33puhh5rh8o9qafcgih3psffg07vov6s8n@4ax.com>, at 11:55:58 on
Mon, 12 Sep 2022, Christopher A. Lee <c.lee@fairpoint.net> remarked:
>On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:54:32 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>Or maybe there's a secret tunnel anyway (not full of mothballed steam
>>engines, though).
>
>Westminster Abbey was a Castle, not a Grange.

Castles probably have more secret tunnels, though.
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tfnqb6$k6l$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4780&group=uk.transport.london#4780

From: hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 18:30:14 +0100
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 17:30 UTC

On 12/09/2022 17:53, Recliner wrote:
> hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Heads of State in a bus/coach? Can’t see Biden going by bus! Whole,idea
>>> sounds like a security nightmare. All eggs in one basket and all that.
>>
>> Secret Service simply would not permit Biden to travel in anything but
>> the Beast.
>
> The president probably travels more often in the armoured Chevy Suburban
> vehicles, including during the G7 in Cornwall.

You could well be right.

In any event, they simply would not allow him to travel in anything
other than their vehicles.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tfnqo5$2abh7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4781&group=uk.transport.london#4781

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 18:37:09 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 17:37 UTC

On 12/09/2022 18:21, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <33puhh5rh8o9qafcgih3psffg07vov6s8n@4ax.com>, at 11:55:58 on
> Mon, 12 Sep 2022, Christopher A. Lee <c.lee@fairpoint.net> remarked:
>> On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:54:32 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Or maybe there's a secret tunnel anyway (not full of mothballed steam
>>> engines, though).
>>
>> Westminster Abbey was a Castle, not a Grange.
>
> Castles probably have more secret tunnels, though.

More of a Star originally.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tfo7c0$2bn5g$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4782&group=uk.transport.london#4782

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 21:12:32 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:PFOvpTaIMaoo947wiptE44mzL8s=
 by: Recliner - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 21:12 UTC

hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 12/09/2022 17:53, Recliner wrote:
>> hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Secret Service simply would not permit Biden to travel in anything but
>>> the Beast.
>>
>> The president probably travels more often in the armoured Chevy Suburban
>> vehicles, including during the G7 in Cornwall.
>>

> You could well be right.
>
> In any event, they simply would not allow him to travel in anything
> other than their vehicles.

Yes, it would be remarkable if he did take the Park and Ride.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tfo8gv$2bqgg$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4783&group=uk.transport.london#4783

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 21:32:15 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:aU/pnqo7yvsCXa601xMHPewx0VM=
 by: Recliner - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 21:32 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> The president probably travels more often in the armoured Chevy Suburban
>>> vehicles, including during the G7 in Cornwall.
>>>

>> You could well be right.
>>
>> In any event, they simply would not allow him to travel in anything
>> other than their vehicles.
>
> Yes, it would be remarkable if he did take the Park and Ride.

This report suggests there will be exceptions:
<https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/12/queen-funeral-travel-bus-helicopter-biden>

There's also the question of whether the Obamas will be invited. I think
they were the Queen's favourite first couple (certainly, of the living
ones), and could perhaps be invited as family friends rather than as a
former president. They could share the vehicle with the Bidens, so it could
be called a bus.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tfobd4$a90$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4784&group=uk.transport.london#4784

From: hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 23:21:24 +0100
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 22:21 UTC

On 12/09/2022 22:32, Recliner wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> You could well be right.
>>>
>>> In any event, they simply would not allow him to travel in anything
>>> other than their vehicles.
>>
>> Yes, it would be remarkable if he did take the Park and Ride.
>
> This report suggests there will be exceptions:
> <https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/12/queen-funeral-travel-bus-helicopter-biden>
>
> There's also the question of whether the Obamas will be invited. I think
> they were the Queen's favourite first couple (certainly, of the living
> ones), and could perhaps be invited as family friends rather than as a
> former president. They could share the vehicle with the Bidens, so it could
> be called a bus.

I don't know what the protocol is, or even if there is one, for a former
and sitting US President to travel together in the same vehicle.

It's also worth noting that former US Presidents also have Secret
Service protection.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tfoc63$2c6mi$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4785&group=uk.transport.london#4785

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 22:34:43 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:C6wSW/2G1sCKkyHCuS9yZCDfyxc=
 by: Recliner - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 22:34 UTC

hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 12/09/2022 22:32, Recliner wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, it would be remarkable if he did take the Park and Ride.
>>
>> This report suggests there will be exceptions:
>> <https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/12/queen-funeral-travel-bus-helicopter-biden>
>>
>> There's also the question of whether the Obamas will be invited. I think
>> they were the Queen's favourite first couple (certainly, of the living
>> ones), and could perhaps be invited as family friends rather than as a
>> former president. They could share the vehicle with the Bidens, so it could
>> be called a bus.
>>

> I don't know what the protocol is, or even if there is one, for a former
> and sitting US President to travel together in the same vehicle.

No, I don't either, but it seems like something that would be acceptable.
Probably more so than the current POTUS and Veep travelling together.

> It's also worth noting that former US Presidents also have Secret
> Service protection.

True, so two for the price of one!

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<Vcygxyn7QBIjFAU+@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4787&group=uk.transport.london#4787

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 06:25:15 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 05:25 UTC

In message <tfo8gv$2bqgg$2@dont-email.me>, at 21:32:15 on Mon, 12 Sep
2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> You could well be right.
>>>
>>> In any event, they simply would not allow him to travel in anything
>>> other than their vehicles.
>>
>> Yes, it would be remarkable if he did take the Park and Ride.
>
>This report suggests there will be exceptions:
><https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/12/queen-funeral-travel-bu
>s-helicopter-biden>
>
>There's also the question of whether the Obamas will be invited. I think
>they were the Queen's favourite first couple (certainly, of the living
>ones), and could perhaps be invited as family friends rather than as a
>former president. They could share the vehicle with the Bidens, so it could
>be called a bus.

There's an awful lot of excluded-middle in the comments from the press.
For example the President's armoured vehicles hardly qualify for the
description "Private Car". And he doesn't travel without a convoy,
either. On the other hand, neither the car nor the convoy drive the
President everywhere: Trump was seen walking in the grounds of Windsor
Castle when he visited.

My prediction (let's not over-use the word "expectation") is that a
significant essentially pedestrianised zone will be established around
Westminster, with multiple drop-off points on the perimeter for all but
the Royal Family, and quite a lot of walking between the various
individual premises.
--
Roland Perry