Does a one-legged duck swim in a circle?

aus+uk / uk.transport.london / Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
+* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralTweed
|+- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRoland Perry
|+- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|+- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|+* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralhounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
||+* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRoland Perry
|||`* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralChristopher A. Lee
||| `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRoland Perry
|||  `- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralGraeme Wall
||+* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|||`* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralhounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
||| +* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
||| `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|||  +* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralDavid Williams
|||  |`- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|||  `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRoland Perry
|||   `- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
||+- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralMB
||`* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|| +- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralMB
|| +* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralMB
|| |`- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralmartin.coffee
|| +* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRoland Perry
|| |`- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|| `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralhounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
||  `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralCharles Ellson
||   +- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralhounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
||   +* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralMarland
||   |`- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralCharles Ellson
||   `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralLondon calling
||    +- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralTweed
||    `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralCertes
||     `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRobin
||      +- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralChris J Dixon
||      +- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralhounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
||      `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralCertes
||       `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
||        `- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralCertes
|`* Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralulf_kutzner
| `* Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralMuttley
|  +* Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralulf_kutzner
|  |`- Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralMuttley
|  `* Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|   `- Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralMuttley
+- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralAllan
+* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralBevan Price
|`- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
+* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|+* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralGraeme Wall
||`* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRoland Perry
|| `- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralGraeme Wall
|`- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRoland Perry
`* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralDavid Williams
 +- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
 `- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner

Pages:1234
Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tft06t$31cja$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4788&group=uk.transport.london#4788

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 17:41:03 +0100
 by: MB - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 16:41 UTC

On 12/09/2022 16:34, hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Secret Service simply would not permit Biden to travel in anything but
> the Beast.

Like when the Queen drove him in her Range Rover?

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tft0b2$31cja$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4789&group=uk.transport.london#4789

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 17:43:16 +0100
 by: MB - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 16:43 UTC

On 12/09/2022 23:21, hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> I don't know what the protocol is, or even if there is one, for a former
> and sitting US President to travel together in the same vehicle.
>
> It's also worth noting that former US Presidents also have Secret
> Service protection.

And they remain titled "President" for the rest of their lives.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tftard$32tgp$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4790&group=uk.transport.london#4790

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 19:42:37 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:LpT1MAiPG9Wc02c5VBnDUllP1hQ=
 by: Recliner - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 19:42 UTC

MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 12/09/2022 23:21, hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>> I don't know what the protocol is, or even if there is one, for a former
>> and sitting US President to travel together in the same vehicle.
>>
>> It's also worth noting that former US Presidents also have Secret
>> Service protection.
>

> And they remain titled "President" for the rest of their lives.

Yes, but that also applies to many lesser US positions, such as the Veep,
senators, congressmen, judges and mayors. I notice that the Donald still
refers to Melania as 'the first lady'. I don't know if that's legit, but
bit certainly sounds wrong to British ears.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<rCdPGVrEnsIjFAj9@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4791&group=uk.transport.london#4791

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 07:44:20 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 06:44 UTC

In message <tft0b2$31cja$3@dont-email.me>, at 17:43:16 on Wed, 14 Sep
2022, MB <MB@nospam.net> remarked:
>On 12/09/2022 23:21, hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>> I don't know what the protocol is, or even if there is one, for a former
>> and sitting US President to travel together in the same vehicle.
>> It's also worth noting that former US Presidents also have Secret
>> Service protection.
>
>And they remain titled "President" for the rest of their lives.

They do, but the majority of their domestic reporting I see from the USA
refers to "Former President Trump". I don't know if that's a deliberate
snub, or whether the convention is changing.

A very wide range office holders there retain the right to use their
title for life - so Judge Judy really was a judge (back in the 70's and
80's). We are used to Colonels and so on retaining their military rank
on civvy street, but would probably find it odd to hear former
politicians referred to in the present tense.
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<6bn5ih5b39h3vksb2njdu85pvttdhi9snj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4792&group=uk.transport.london#4792

From: charlesellson@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 09:23:42 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 08:23 UTC

On Tue, 13 Sep 2022 06:25:15 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
wrote:

>In message <tfo8gv$2bqgg$2@dont-email.me>, at 21:32:15 on Mon, 12 Sep
>2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, it would be remarkable if he did take the Park and Ride.
>>
>>This report suggests there will be exceptions:
>><https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/12/queen-funeral-travel-bu
>>s-helicopter-biden>
>>
>>There's also the question of whether the Obamas will be invited. I think
>>they were the Queen's favourite first couple (certainly, of the living
>>ones), and could perhaps be invited as family friends rather than as a
>>former president. They could share the vehicle with the Bidens, so it could
>>be called a bus.
>
>There's an awful lot of excluded-middle in the comments from the press.
>For example the President's armoured vehicles hardly qualify for the
>description "Private Car". And he doesn't travel without a convoy,
>either. On the other hand, neither the car nor the convoy drive the
>President everywhere: Trump was seen walking in the grounds of Windsor
>Castle when he visited.
>
>My prediction (let's not over-use the word "expectation") is that a
>significant essentially pedestrianised zone will be established around
>Westminster, with multiple drop-off points on the perimeter for all but
>the Royal Family, and quite a lot of walking between the various
>individual premises.

The "pedestrianisation" (traffic lights and other street furniture
being unbolted) was on the go around Parliament Square when I walked
through about 2am on Wednesday. As usual around Whitehall and the Mall
when other events are on, vehicle routes have to be maintained for
emergency and servicing access anyway.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tfupeb$39979$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4793&group=uk.transport.london#4793

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 08:57:47 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:0rJ0KkZDLn+xadWRexnQHbFcDec=
 by: Recliner - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 08:57 UTC

hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 12/09/2022 17:53, Recliner wrote:
>> hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Secret Service simply would not permit Biden to travel in anything but
>>> the Beast.
>>
>> The president probably travels more often in the armoured Chevy Suburban
>> vehicles, including during the G7 in Cornwall.
>>

> You could well be right.
>
> In any event, they simply would not allow him to travel in anything
> other than their vehicles.

I heard a heavy military freighter landing at Northolt this morning,
probably a C-17 (I didn't get a chance to see it). That usually precedes US
presidential visits, as it's the USAF plane carrying the Beasts and Secret
Service cars.

I didn't hear the late Queen's C-17 land, as it came in from the west. I
noticed that all Heathrow landings were paused as it approached. It later
took off towards the east, but didn't fly over me. But I saw a complaint on
a local bulletin board about a big, noisy military plane flying low
overhead after taking off from Northolt.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<87czbxdmk0.fsf@yahoo.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4794&group=uk.transport.london#4794

From: davidw_3@yahoo.co.uk (David Williams)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 10:17:03 +0100
 by: David Williams - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 09:17 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> writes:

> hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

<SNIP discussion of who this will or won't affect>

> I heard a heavy military freighter landing at Northolt this morning,
> probably a C-17 (I didn't get a chance to see it). That usually precedes US
> presidential visits, as it's the USAF plane carrying the Beasts and Secret
> Service cars.

It was a US C-17A, call sign RCH4594, from Dover air force base -
on Delaware Bay and not too far from Washington.

> I didn't hear the late Queen's C-17 land, as it came in from the west. I
> noticed that all Heathrow landings were paused as it approached. It later
> took off towards the east, but didn't fly over me. But I saw a complaint on
> a local bulletin board about a big, noisy military plane flying low
> overhead after taking off from Northolt.

Also, it landed through low cloud and heavy rain, which could
have lessened the apparent noise. I didn't notice when it took off.

--
David

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<IErnnA4cxuIjFAGU@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4795&group=uk.transport.london#4795

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 10:11:56 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 09:11 UTC

In message <tfupeb$39979$2@dont-email.me>, at 08:57:47 on Thu, 15 Sep
2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>I heard a heavy military freighter landing at Northolt this morning,
>probably a C-17 (I didn't get a chance to see it). That usually precedes US
>presidential visits, as it's the USAF plane carrying the Beasts and Secret
>Service cars.

Normally they'd fly into Mildenhall, which isn't that far from London in
the great scheme of things, and has a significant permanent presence of
many of the kind of resources required to support a Presidential visit
(not just to UK, it's a staging post for much of Europe and Middle East)
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tfur5i$39evf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4796&group=uk.transport.london#4796

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 09:27:14 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:lzS04mO1A/h/R+KviEgHnWhcKfE=
 by: Recliner - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 09:27 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <tfupeb$39979$2@dont-email.me>, at 08:57:47 on Thu, 15 Sep
> 2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>
>> I heard a heavy military freighter landing at Northolt this morning,
>> probably a C-17 (I didn't get a chance to see it). That usually precedes US
>> presidential visits, as it's the USAF plane carrying the Beasts and Secret
>> Service cars.
>
> Normally they'd fly into Mildenhall, which isn't that far from London in
> the great scheme of things, and has a significant permanent presence of
> many of the kind of resources required to support a Presidential visit
> (not just to UK, it's a staging post for much of Europe and Middle East)

They normally fly the cars into Northolt. Perhaps helicopters are flown
into Mildenhall?

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tfurtn$39hl2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4797&group=uk.transport.london#4797

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 09:40:07 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:BHRI2Y/gq972Nu1SZ2IL8AhbfhU=
 by: Recliner - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 09:40 UTC

David Williams <davidw_3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> <SNIP discussion of who this will or won't affect>
>
>> I heard a heavy military freighter landing at Northolt this morning,
>> probably a C-17 (I didn't get a chance to see it). That usually precedes US
>> presidential visits, as it's the USAF plane carrying the Beasts and Secret
>> Service cars.
>
> It was a US C-17A, call sign RCH4594, from Dover air force base -
> on Delaware Bay and not too far from Washington.

Thanks, that confirms my expectation.

>> I didn't hear the late Queen's C-17 land, as it came in from the west. I
>> noticed that all Heathrow landings were paused as it approached. It later
>> took off towards the east, but didn't fly over me. But I saw a complaint on
>> a local bulletin board about a big, noisy military plane flying low
>> overhead after taking off from Northolt.
>
> Also, it landed through low cloud and heavy rain, which could
> have lessened the apparent noise. I didn't notice when it took off.

I don't hear Northolt landings from the west, nor most take-offs.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tfvleq$3ckn6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4798&group=uk.transport.london#4798

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 17:55:54 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 16:55 UTC

On 14/09/2022 20:42, Recliner wrote:
> MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
>> On 12/09/2022 23:21, hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>>> I don't know what the protocol is, or even if there is one, for a former
>>> and sitting US President to travel together in the same vehicle.
>>>
>>> It's also worth noting that former US Presidents also have Secret
>>> Service protection.
>>

>> And they remain titled "President" for the rest of their lives.
>>

> Yes, but that also applies to many lesser US positions, such as the Veep,
> senators, congressmen, judges and mayors. I notice that the Donald still
> refers to Melania as 'the first lady'. I don't know if that's legit, but
> bit certainly sounds wrong to British ears.

Well he still claims to be the current President, so for once he's being
consistent.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tfvlm4$3ckn6$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4799&group=uk.transport.london#4799

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 17:59:48 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 16:59 UTC

On 15/09/2022 07:44, Roland Perry wrote:
> A very wide range office holders there retain the right to use their
> title for life - so Judge Judy really was a judge (back in the 70's and
> 80's). We are used to Colonels and so on retaining their military rank
> on civvy street, but would probably find it odd to hear former
> politicians referred to in the present tense.
> --

IIRC Majors and above are allowed to continue to use their rank after
retiring. Hence captains are often promoted to hon major shortly before
they retire.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tg1klk$1vai$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4800&group=uk.transport.london#4800

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 10:54:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 10:54 UTC

On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 17:59:48 +0100
Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>On 15/09/2022 07:44, Roland Perry wrote:
>> A very wide range office holders there retain the right to use their
>> title for life - so Judge Judy really was a judge (back in the 70's and
>> 80's). We are used to Colonels and so on retaining their military rank
>> on civvy street, but would probably find it odd to hear former
>> politicians referred to in the present tense.
>> --
>
>IIRC Majors and above are allowed to continue to use their rank after
>retiring. Hence captains are often promoted to hon major shortly before
>they retire.

All a bit daft though isn't it. Could you imagine "Project Managed John Smith
Rtd" or "CEO Fred Bloggs Rtd"? I guess military types are more defined by their
jobs than those of us on civvie street to have a need to cling onto (some
would say dine out on) their former ranks after they retire.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tg22d7$3r07a$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4801&group=uk.transport.london#4801

From: none@nowhere.net (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:49:11 +0100
 by: Certes - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 14:49 UTC

On 16/09/2022 11:54, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 17:59:48 +0100
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 15/09/2022 07:44, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> A very wide range office holders there retain the right to use their
>>> title for life - so Judge Judy really was a judge (back in the 70's and
>>> 80's). We are used to Colonels and so on retaining their military rank
>>> on civvy street, but would probably find it odd to hear former
>>> politicians referred to in the present tense.
>>> --
>>
>> IIRC Majors and above are allowed to continue to use their rank after
>> retiring. Hence captains are often promoted to hon major shortly before
>> they retire.
>
> All a bit daft though isn't it. Could you imagine "Project Managed John Smith
> Rtd" or "CEO Fred Bloggs Rtd"? I guess military types are more defined by their
> jobs than those of us on civvie street to have a need to cling onto (some
> would say dine out on) their former ranks after they retire.

Project manager John Smith isn't usually introduced as such outside the
work environment, unlike Major Jones.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tg234p$3r6n6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4802&group=uk.transport.london#4802

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 16:01:45 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:01 UTC

On 16/09/2022 15:49, Certes wrote:
> On 16/09/2022 11:54, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 17:59:48 +0100
>> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> IIRC Majors and above are allowed to continue to use their rank after
>>> retiring. Hence captains are often promoted to hon major shortly before
>>> they retire.
>>
>> All a bit daft though isn't it. Could you imagine "Project Managed
>> John Smith
>> Rtd" or "CEO Fred Bloggs Rtd"? I guess military types are more defined
>> by their
>> jobs than those of us on civvie street to have a need to cling onto (some
>> would say dine out on) their former ranks after they retire.
>
> Project manager John Smith isn't usually introduced as such outside the
> work environment, unlike Major Jones.

On the other hand John Smith might well present himself as J Smith, PhD

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tg242h$1dpu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4803&group=uk.transport.london#4803

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:17:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:17 UTC

On Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:49:11 +0100
Certes <none@nowhere.net> wrote:
>On 16/09/2022 11:54, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 17:59:48 +0100
>> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> IIRC Majors and above are allowed to continue to use their rank after
>>> retiring. Hence captains are often promoted to hon major shortly before
>>> they retire.
>>
>> All a bit daft though isn't it. Could you imagine "Project Managed John Smith
>
>> Rtd" or "CEO Fred Bloggs Rtd"? I guess military types are more defined by
>their
>> jobs than those of us on civvie street to have a need to cling onto (some
>> would say dine out on) their former ranks after they retire.
>
>Project manager John Smith isn't usually introduced as such outside the
>work environment, unlike Major Jones.

Whooosh....

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tg24ds$3re94$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4804&group=uk.transport.london#4804

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 16:23:39 +0100
 by: MB - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:23 UTC

On 16/09/2022 16:01, Graeme Wall wrote:
> On the other hand John Smith might well present himself as J Smith, PhD

I like the Continental system of using the title "Engineer".

Many of the uses of "Doctor" for people with PhD's are a bit of an ego trip.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tg2574$3rjqk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4805&group=uk.transport.london#4805

From: none@nowhere.net (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 16:37:07 +0100
 by: Certes - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:37 UTC

On 16/09/2022 16:23, MB wrote:
> On 16/09/2022 16:01, Graeme Wall wrote:
>> On the other hand John Smith might well present himself as J Smith, PhD
>
> I like the Continental system of using the title "Engineer".
>
> Many of the uses of "Doctor" for people with PhD's are a bit of an ego
> trip.

"Doctor" also suggests a medical ability which most PhDs lack.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tg25vk$3rnso$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4806&group=uk.transport.london#4806

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 16:50:12 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:50 UTC

On 16/09/2022 16:37, Certes wrote:
> On 16/09/2022 16:23, MB wrote:
>> On 16/09/2022 16:01, Graeme Wall wrote:
>>> On the other hand John Smith might well present himself as J Smith, PhD
>>
>> I like the Continental system of using the title "Engineer".
>>
>> Many of the uses of "Doctor" for people with PhD's are a bit of an ego
>> trip.
>
> "Doctor" also suggests a medical ability which most PhDs lack.

I knew somebody would obsess over the random academic title I used.
First one I could think of.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tg27aa$3ruuc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4807&group=uk.transport.london#4807

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 17:12:57 +0100
 by: MB - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 16:12 UTC

On 16/09/2022 16:37, Certes wrote:
> "Doctor" also suggests a medical ability which most PhDs lack.

Some M.D.'s probably do not have much practical medical ability.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tg28j5$3s7cj$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4808&group=uk.transport.london#4808

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 16:34:45 -0000 (UTC)
<tfvlm4$3ckn6$4@dont-email.me>
<tg1klk$1vai$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<tg22d7$3r07a$2@dont-email.me>
<tg234p$3r6n6$1@dont-email.me>
<tg24ds$3re94$1@dont-email.me>
<tg2574$3rjqk$1@dont-email.me>
<tg27aa$3ruuc$1@dont-email.me>
sha1:iYmcA5GLblPDlRCoVwjH/+lmBmE=
 by: Recliner - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 16:34 UTC

MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 16/09/2022 16:37, Certes wrote:
>> "Doctor" also suggests a medical ability which most PhDs lack.
>

> Some M.D.'s probably do not have much practical medical ability.

Another oddity is dentists, who are often called Dr Driller, when I don't
think they have the right to the title.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tg2e61$3t91d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4809&group=uk.transport.london#4809

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 18:10:09 -0000 (UTC)
<tfvlm4$3ckn6$4@dont-email.me>
<tg1klk$1vai$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<tg22d7$3r07a$2@dont-email.me>
<tg234p$3r6n6$1@dont-email.me>
<tg24ds$3re94$1@dont-email.me>
<tg2574$3rjqk$1@dont-email.me>
<tg27aa$3ruuc$1@dont-email.me>
<tg28j5$3s7cj$3@dont-email.me>
sha1:y7M4Kk9WsxawBHFCshtpEensN8Y=
 by: Tweed - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 18:10 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
>> On 16/09/2022 16:37, Certes wrote:
>>> "Doctor" also suggests a medical ability which most PhDs lack.
>>

>> Some M.D.'s probably do not have much practical medical ability.
>>

> Another oddity is dentists, who are often called Dr Driller, when I don't
> think they have the right to the title.

It’s a bit of a bone of contention with conventional medical doctors. The
dentists just declared they had studied as long as medical students and
thus were entitled to call themselves doctor. On the other hand my doctor
son only lasted two years as Dr before becoming Mr again after passing his
surgeons exams. Strange old world.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<oug9ihdn9biajeq1ue4l8gjo56aruv9k50@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4810&group=uk.transport.london#4810

From: chris@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 19:49:07 +0100
References: <tfm0s6$22n7l$2@dont-email.me> <tfmhso$26m9f$1@dont-email.me> <tfnjii$18km$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tfno5v$2a2k5$2@dont-email.me> <tfnqb6$k6l$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tfo7c0$2bn5g$2@dont-email.me> <tfo8gv$2bqgg$2@dont-email.me> <tfobd4$a90$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tft0b2$31cja$3@dont-email.me> <rCdPGVrEnsIjFAj9@perry.uk> <tfvlm4$3ckn6$4@dont-email.me> <tg1klk$1vai$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tg22d7$3r07a$2@dont-email.me> <tg234p$3r6n6$1@dont-email.me> <tg24ds$3re94$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Chris J Dixon - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 18:49 UTC

MB wrote:

>On 16/09/2022 16:01, Graeme Wall wrote:
>> On the other hand John Smith might well present himself as J Smith, PhD
>

>I like the Continental system of using the title "Engineer".

Which works as long as its meaning is fully understood.

Whilst I can still use the letters BSc, since retirement I
allowed my professional institution membership to lapse, and
along with those letters (MIET) I also lost Chartered Engineer
status.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<878rmhevrw.fsf@yahoo.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4811&group=uk.transport.london#4811

From: davidw_3@yahoo.co.uk (David Williams)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 18:49:23 +0100
 by: David Williams - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 17:49 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> writes:

> Foreign heads of state and their spouses heading to London for the state
> funeral for Queen Elizabeth II have been asked to arrive in the U.K. on
> commercial flights and banned from using helicopters to get around.

<SNIP details of arrangements on the ground in or near London>

> <https://www.politico.eu/article/queen-elizabeth-joe-biden-king-charles-westminster-abbeyonly-heads-of-state-plus-one-to-attend-queen-elizabeths-funeral/>

(Sorry!) A bit of plane spotting:

Japan's representatives seem to be using their own transport -
call sign JF01 has just landed at Stansted (18:20 BST) while JF02
diverged from the JF01 track near Milton Keynes and is now
heading east over Kent. (JF02 may be heading for Brussels.) In
each case, the aircraft is a Boeing 777-300ER.

Pakistan's Gulfstream 4 (or G450), call sign PFF756, has landed at
Luton, about 18:32 BST.

Nigeria's Dassault Falcon 7X, call sign NGR002, is declared for
Stansted, currently heading NW over Chessington.

The Nigerian and Pakistani planes are on Flightradar24; the
Japanese flights are hidden by FR24 but visible on (some) other
flight trackers.

There are probably others - these were just easy to find.

--
David

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tg5b0j$87bu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4812&group=uk.transport.london#4812

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 20:34:27 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:VqMSBXedD3bY3byHubpykqoiJIw=
 by: Recliner - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 20:34 UTC

David Williams <davidw_3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Foreign heads of state and their spouses heading to London for the state
>> funeral for Queen Elizabeth II have been asked to arrive in the U.K. on
>> commercial flights and banned from using helicopters to get around.
>
> <SNIP details of arrangements on the ground in or near London>
>
>> <https://www.politico.eu/article/queen-elizabeth-joe-biden-king-charles-westminster-abbeyonly-heads-of-state-plus-one-to-attend-queen-elizabeths-funeral/>
>
> (Sorry!) A bit of plane spotting:
>
> Japan's representatives seem to be using their own transport -
> call sign JF01 has just landed at Stansted (18:20 BST) while JF02
> diverged from the JF01 track near Milton Keynes and is now
> heading east over Kent. (JF02 may be heading for Brussels.) In
> each case, the aircraft is a Boeing 777-300ER.
>
> Pakistan's Gulfstream 4 (or G450), call sign PFF756, has landed at
> Luton, about 18:32 BST.
>
> Nigeria's Dassault Falcon 7X, call sign NGR002, is declared for
> Stansted, currently heading NW over Chessington.
>
> The Nigerian and Pakistani planes are on Flightradar24; the
> Japanese flights are hidden by FR24 but visible on (some) other
> flight trackers.
>
> There are probably others - these were just easy to find.

I found a YouTube video showing many of the leaders' planes arriving.

aus+uk / uk.transport.london / Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral