Science and religion are in full accord but science and faith are in complete discord.

aus+uk / uk.transport.london / Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
+* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralTweed
|+- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRoland Perry
|+- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|+- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|+* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralhounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
||+* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRoland Perry
|||`* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralChristopher A. Lee
||| `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRoland Perry
|||  `- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralGraeme Wall
||+* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|||`* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralhounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
||| +* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
||| `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|||  +* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralDavid Williams
|||  |`- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|||  `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRoland Perry
|||   `- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
||+- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralMB
||`* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|| +- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralMB
|| +* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralMB
|| |`- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralmartin.coffee
|| +* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRoland Perry
|| |`- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|| `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralhounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
||  `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralCharles Ellson
||   +- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralhounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
||   +* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralMarland
||   |`- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralCharles Ellson
||   `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralLondon calling
||    +- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralTweed
||    `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralCertes
||     `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRobin
||      +- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralChris J Dixon
||      +- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralhounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
||      `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralCertes
||       `* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
||        `- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralCertes
|`* Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralulf_kutzner
| `* Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralMuttley
|  +* Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralulf_kutzner
|  |`- Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralMuttley
|  `* Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|   `- Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralMuttley
+- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralAllan
+* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralBevan Price
|`- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
+* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
|+* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralGraeme Wall
||`* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRoland Perry
|| `- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralGraeme Wall
|`- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRoland Perry
`* OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralDavid Williams
 +- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner
 `- OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeralRecliner

Pages:1234
Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tg5dos$1o79$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4813&group=uk.transport.london#4813

From: hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 22:21:31 +0100
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 21:21 UTC

The Telegraph

"Some high profile leaders – including Joe Biden, the US President,
Emmanuel Macron, the French president, and President Isaac Herzog of
Israel – are expected to have their own transport based on security
considerations.

"Mr Biden has been permitted to travel in his armoured Cadillac, known
as the Beast."

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tg5e2h$8g23$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4814&group=uk.transport.london#4814

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 21:26:41 -0000 (UTC)
<tg5dos$1o79$1@gioia.aioe.org>
sha1:wZ0OBbhpABE7sh8+wJ59pyyrGzY=
 by: Recliner - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 21:26 UTC

hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> The Telegraph
>
> "Some high profile leaders – including Joe Biden, the US President,
> Emmanuel Macron, the French president, and President Isaac Herzog of
> Israel – are expected to have their own transport based on security
> considerations.
>
> "Mr Biden has been permitted to travel in his armoured Cadillac, known
> as the Beast."

Yes, there's a YouTube video of two Beasts and one Suburban arriving on one
C-17A. Of course, there may well be more vehicles on other flights.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tg9f8u$1218j$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4815&group=uk.transport.london#4815

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 10:11:42 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:UA1iFp9S57DgiyZ/kZgJDN8JKMc=
 by: Recliner - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 10:11 UTC

hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 12/09/2022 06:59, Tweed wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Foreign heads of state and their spouses heading to London for the state
>>> funeral for Queen Elizabeth II have been asked to arrive in the U.K. on
>>> commercial flights and banned from using helicopters to get around.
>>>
>>> World leaders have also been told they cannot use their own state cars to
>>> attend the funeral at Westminster Abbey on September 19 — and will instead
>>> be bussed in en masse from a site in west London.
>>>
>>> …
>>>
>>> Westminster Abbey will be so packed for the event that it will be
>>> impossible for more than a single, senior representative per country and
>>> their other half to attend, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development
>>> Office (FCDO) lamented in the official protocol message regarding the
>>> event.
>>>
>>> In the document, sent to overseas embassies late Saturday night, the
>>> department said it “regrets that, because of limited space at the state
>>> funeral service and associated events, no other members of the principal
>>> guest’s family, staff or entourage may be admitted.”
>>>
>>> Heads of state unable to attend may choose someone else as their official
>>> representative, such as a head of government or senior minister.
>>>
>>> <https://www.politico.eu/article/queen-elizabeth-joe-biden-king-charles-westminster-abbeyonly-heads-of-state-plus-one-to-attend-queen-elizabeths-funeral/>
>>>

>> Heads of State in a bus/coach? Can’t see Biden going by bus! Whole,idea
>> sounds like a security nightmare. All eggs in one basket and all that.
>
> Secret Service simply would not permit Biden to travel in anything but
> the Beast.

From
<https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/09/19/queen-funeral-seating-plan-guests-joe-biden/>

While Mr Biden arrived in his armoured car, The Beast, others were spotted
catching the bus.

Coach services laid on by the authorities departed from outside Royal
Hospital Chelsea, where a line of police had closed off the road to welcome
visiting dignitaries.

Those spotted turning up in the hours before the funeral included royals
like Philippe, King of Belgium, and Carl XVI Gustaf, King of Sweden, who
both arrived in Volvos.

Frank Walter-Steinmeir, the President of Germany, arrived in a black BMW
with the number plate GER 1 whilst Anthony Albanese, the Prime Minister of
Australia, swept up to the cordon in a Jaguar.

Later on Sergio Mattarella, the President of Italy, cruised up to the drop
off in a Maserati with the licence plate ITA 1.

Some major world leaders, including Mr Biden and Emmanuel Macron, the
President of France, were expected to be exempted from having to get the
bus on security grounds

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tg9h52$125qm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4816&group=uk.transport.london#4816

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 11:43:46 +0100
 by: MB - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 10:43 UTC

On 19/09/2022 11:11, Recliner wrote:
> Coach services laid on by the authorities departed from outside Royal
> Hospital Chelsea, where a line of police had closed off the road to welcome
> visiting dignitaries.

It was reported in the newspapers yesterday that they were going to use
the Royal Hospital Chelsea as a posh Park And Ride.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tg9h7g$125qm$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4817&group=uk.transport.london#4817

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 11:45:04 +0100
 by: MB - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 10:45 UTC

On 19/09/2022 11:11, Recliner wrote:
> Some major world leaders, including Mr Biden and Emmanuel Macron, the
> President of France, were expected to be exempted from having to get the
> bus on security grounds

Though Macron photographed yesterday walking around the streets with his
grannie (and bodyguard)/

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tg9ivg$12b2q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4818&group=uk.transport.london#4818

From: martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 12:14:56 +0100
 by: martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 11:14 UTC

On 19/09/2022 11:45, MB wrote:
> On 19/09/2022 11:11, Recliner wrote:
>> Some major world leaders, including Mr Biden and Emmanuel Macron, the
>> President of France, were expected to be exempted from having to get the
>> bus on security grounds
>

> Though Macron photographed yesterday walking around the streets with his
> grannie (and bodyguard)/

Exactly.

"Look at me. I'm so important I cannot travel on the bus with everyone
else."

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<4PlbFTPv1YKjFAwa@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4825&group=uk.transport.london#4825

From: roland@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 10:52:47 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 09:52 UTC

In message <tg9f8u$1218j$2@dont-email.me>, at 10:11:42 on Mon, 19 Sep
2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>While Mr Biden arrived in his armoured car, The Beast, others were spotted
>catching the bus.

He was late arriving, "stuck in traffic", and ended up sitting in the
'cheap seats' nine rows back.
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tgc3d1$1fe0e$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4826&group=uk.transport.london#4826

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 10:07:29 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:0gO7xgOW/7RY1IQD+XeZOnsTZto=
 by: Recliner - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 10:07 UTC

David Williams <davidw_3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Foreign heads of state and their spouses heading to London for the state
>> funeral for Queen Elizabeth II have been asked to arrive in the U.K. on
>> commercial flights and banned from using helicopters to get around.
>
> <SNIP details of arrangements on the ground in or near London>
>
>> <https://www.politico.eu/article/queen-elizabeth-joe-biden-king-charles-westminster-abbeyonly-heads-of-state-plus-one-to-attend-queen-elizabeths-funeral/>
>
> (Sorry!) A bit of plane spotting:
>
> Japan's representatives seem to be using their own transport -
> call sign JF01 has just landed at Stansted (18:20 BST) while JF02
> diverged from the JF01 track near Milton Keynes and is now
> heading east over Kent. (JF02 may be heading for Brussels.) In
> each case, the aircraft is a Boeing 777-300ER.
>
> Pakistan's Gulfstream 4 (or G450), call sign PFF756, has landed at
> Luton, about 18:32 BST.
>
> Nigeria's Dassault Falcon 7X, call sign NGR002, is declared for
> Stansted, currently heading NW over Chessington.
>
> The Nigerian and Pakistani planes are on Flightradar24; the
> Japanese flights are hidden by FR24 but visible on (some) other
> flight trackers.
>
> There are probably others - these were just easy to find.

I just saw a USAF C-17A fly over on its way into Northolt. It came from a
base in Germany. I assume it'll be carrying some of the POTUS vehicles back
home.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tgc3fr$1fedh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4827&group=uk.transport.london#4827

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 10:08:59 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:JpYgo1zwQU9TN2h1NiiA2LnhirE=
 by: Recliner - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 10:08 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <tg9f8u$1218j$2@dont-email.me>, at 10:11:42 on Mon, 19 Sep
> 2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>
>> While Mr Biden arrived in his armoured car, The Beast, others were spotted
>> catching the bus.
>
> He was late arriving, "stuck in traffic", and ended up sitting in the
> 'cheap seats' nine rows back.

I think that was his allotted seat anyway, as he's a fairly junior world
leader.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tgcena$jar$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4829&group=uk.transport.london#4829

From: hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 14:20:42 +0100
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 13:20 UTC

On 19/09/2022 11:11, Recliner wrote:
> hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Heads of State in a bus/coach? Can’t see Biden going by bus! Whole,idea
>>> sounds like a security nightmare. All eggs in one basket and all that.
>>
>> Secret Service simply would not permit Biden to travel in anything but
>> the Beast.
>>

> From
> <https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/09/19/queen-funeral-seating-plan-guests-joe-biden/>
>
> While Mr Biden arrived in his armoured car, The Beast, others were spotted
> catching the bus.
>
> Coach services laid on by the authorities departed from outside Royal
> Hospital Chelsea, where a line of police had closed off the road to welcome
> visiting dignitaries.
>
> Those spotted turning up in the hours before the funeral included royals
> like Philippe, King of Belgium, and Carl XVI Gustaf, King of Sweden, who
> both arrived in Volvos.
>
> Frank Walter-Steinmeir, the President of Germany, arrived in a black BMW
> with the number plate GER 1

That's a diplomatic vehicle registration plate

> Later on Sergio Mattarella, the President of Italy, cruised up to the drop
> off in a Maserati with the licence plate ITA 1.

As is that.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<kcrovixrjc.ln2@threeformcow.myzen.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4831&group=uk.transport.london#4831

From: news20k.noreply@threeformcow.myzen.co.uk (#Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 14:21:56 +0100
References: <tfm0s6$22n7l$2@dont-email.me> <tfmhso$26m9f$1@dont-email.me> <tfnjii$18km$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tfno5v$2a2k5$2@dont-email.me> <tfnqb6$k6l$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tfo7c0$2bn5g$2@dont-email.me> <tfo8gv$2bqgg$2@dont-email.me> <tfobd4$a90$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tft0b2$31cja$3@dont-email.me> <rCdPGVrEnsIjFAj9@perry.uk> <tfvlm4$3ckn6$4@dont-email.me> <tg1klk$1vai$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tg22d7$3r07a$2@dont-email.me> <tg234p$3r6n6$1@dont-email.me> <tg24ds$3re94$1@dont-email.me>
 by: #Paul - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 13:21 UTC

MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
> Many of the uses of "Doctor" for people with PhD's are a bit of an ego trip.

Since a PhD is a doctorate of philosophy, the "Doctor" is entirely appropiate --
there are more sorts of doctor than just the MD. However, you might well argue
that for most PhDs, it is instead the "philosophy" part that is inaccurate,
rather than the doctor; although I suppose the old "Natural Philosophy" label
covers many scientist PhDs.

#Paul

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<8d3mihpsc1vpeg9oaepa826ke5ono4dtof@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4833&group=uk.transport.london#4833

From: charlesellson@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 14:18:09 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 13:18 UTC

On Tue, 20 Sep 2022 14:20:42 +0100, "hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk"
<hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>On 19/09/2022 11:11, Recliner wrote:
>> hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Secret Service simply would not permit Biden to travel in anything but
>>> the Beast.
>>>

>> From
>> <https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/09/19/queen-funeral-seating-plan-guests-joe-biden/>
>>
>> While Mr Biden arrived in his armoured car, The Beast, others were spotted
>> catching the bus.
>>
>> Coach services laid on by the authorities departed from outside Royal
>> Hospital Chelsea, where a line of police had closed off the road to welcome
>> visiting dignitaries.
>>
>> Those spotted turning up in the hours before the funeral included royals
>> like Philippe, King of Belgium, and Carl XVI Gustaf, King of Sweden, who
>> both arrived in Volvos.
>>
>> Frank Walter-Steinmeir, the President of Germany, arrived in a black BMW
>> with the number plate GER 1
>
>That's a diplomatic vehicle registration plate

It isn't, it is a standard (but rather old) registration as is usual
with many countries' ambassadors' cars. Diplomatic plates are in the
form of nnn D nnn.

>> Later on Sergio Mattarella, the President of Italy, cruised up to the drop
>> off in a Maserati with the licence plate ITA 1.
>
>As is that.

No, it is a very old Devon C.C. registration.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<tgf8db$q42$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4834&group=uk.transport.london#4834

From: hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 15:51:23 +0100
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 14:51 UTC

On 21/09/2022 14:18, Charles Ellson wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2022 14:20:42 +0100, "hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk"
> <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> From
>>> <https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/09/19/queen-funeral-seating-plan-guests-joe-biden/>
>>>
>>> While Mr Biden arrived in his armoured car, The Beast, others were spotted
>>> catching the bus.
>>>
>>> Coach services laid on by the authorities departed from outside Royal
>>> Hospital Chelsea, where a line of police had closed off the road to welcome
>>> visiting dignitaries.
>>>
>>> Those spotted turning up in the hours before the funeral included royals
>>> like Philippe, King of Belgium, and Carl XVI Gustaf, King of Sweden, who
>>> both arrived in Volvos.
>>>
>>> Frank Walter-Steinmeir, the President of Germany, arrived in a black BMW
>>> with the number plate GER 1
>>
>> That's a diplomatic vehicle registration plate
>>
> It isn't, it is a standard (but rather old) registration as is usual
> with many countries' ambassadors' cars. Diplomatic plates are in the
> form of nnn D nnn.

Sometimes in the form or nnn C nnn or nnn X nnn, respectively meaning
consular and service staff.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<jp1a0hFm2h5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4835&group=uk.transport.london#4835

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: 21 Sep 2022 20:20:33 GMT
 by: Marland - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 20:20 UTC

Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2022 14:20:42 +0100, "hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk"
> <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> From
>>> <https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/09/19/queen-funeral-seating-plan-guests-joe-biden/>
>>>
>>> While Mr Biden arrived in his armoured car, The Beast, others were spotted
>>> catching the bus.
>>>
>>> Coach services laid on by the authorities departed from outside Royal
>>> Hospital Chelsea, where a line of police had closed off the road to welcome
>>> visiting dignitaries.
>>>
>>> Those spotted turning up in the hours before the funeral included royals
>>> like Philippe, King of Belgium, and Carl XVI Gustaf, King of Sweden, who
>>> both arrived in Volvos.
>>>
>>> Frank Walter-Steinmeir, the President of Germany, arrived in a black BMW
>>> with the number plate GER 1
>>
>> That's a diplomatic vehicle registration plate
>>
> It isn't, it is a standard (but rather old) registration as is usual
> with many countries' ambassadors' cars. Diplomatic plates are in the
> form of nnn D nnn.
>>
>>> Later on Sergio Mattarella, the President of Italy, cruised up to the drop
>>> off in a Maserati with the licence plate ITA 1.
>>
>> As is that.
>>
> No, it is a very old Devon C.C. registration.

I wonder if anyone associated with the Independent Television Authority
ever had that.

GH

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<h41oihdrfl5g7903j4cmqdv3hnesl91nrv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4836&group=uk.transport.london#4836

From: charlesellson@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 07:59:52 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 06:59 UTC

On 21 Sep 2022 20:20:33 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk>
wrote:

>Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Sep 2022 14:20:42 +0100, "hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk"
>> <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> That's a diplomatic vehicle registration plate
>>>
>> It isn't, it is a standard (but rather old) registration as is usual
>> with many countries' ambassadors' cars. Diplomatic plates are in the
>> form of nnn D nnn.

>>> As is that.
>>>
>> No, it is a very old Devon C.C. registration.
>>

>I wonder if anyone associated with the Independent Television Authority
>ever had that.

I suspect they have had it since long before the ITA was around.
There are other oddities such as e.g. ZIM 1 which would have been an
old Irish registration but which DVLA seems to have created along with
others as specials for diplomatic cars.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<01ktjhh4s8auf6ptdm5q8a0s7k5h3j97hd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4893&group=uk.transport.london#4893

From: sf@london.london (London calling)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 13:56:49 +0100
 by: London calling - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 12:56 UTC

On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 14:18:09 +0100, Charles Ellson
<charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> Later on Sergio Mattarella, the President of Italy, cruised up to the drop
>>> off in a Maserati with the licence plate ITA 1.
>>
>>As is that.
>>
>No, it is a very old Devon C.C. registration.

No, letter I is not used in UK registrations due to posible confusion
with number 1. The normal series would have jumped from HTA to JTA
when they were issued.

It's definitely diplomatic.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<thmk80$3cmsl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4894&group=uk.transport.london#4894

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 13:12:32 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:lC4l082iygfdB+tAnaSunn6XtqE=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 13:12 UTC

London calling <sf@london.london> wrote:

>>> As is that.
>>>
>> No, it is a very old Devon C.C. registration.
>
> No, letter I is not used in UK registrations due to posible confusion
> with number 1. The normal series would have jumped from HTA to JTA
> when they were issued.
>
> It's definitely diplomatic.

It shows up on the MOT checker. But doesn’t show up on the road tax
checker.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<thmsjp$3dgkt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4895&group=uk.transport.london#4895

From: none@nowhere.net (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 16:35:21 +0100
 by: Certes - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 15:35 UTC

On 06/10/2022 13:56, London calling wrote:

>>> As is that.
>>>
>> No, it is a very old Devon C.C. registration.
>
> No, letter I is not used in UK registrations due to posible confusion
> with number 1. The normal series would have jumped from HTA to JTA
> when they were issued.
>
> It's definitely diplomatic.

To be pedantic (because it's Usenet), I is used in the UK, but not in GB
and not in that position.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<2152bc58-bbc7-01a0-1e7b-5de0369f6c01@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4896&group=uk.transport.london#4896

From: rbw@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 19:54:56 +0100
 by: Robin - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 18:54 UTC

On 06/10/2022 16:35, Certes wrote:
> On 06/10/2022 13:56, London calling wrote:

>>> No, it is a very old Devon C.C. registration.
>>
>> No, letter I is not used in UK registrations due to posible confusion
>> with number 1.  The normal series would have jumped from HTA to JTA
>> when they were issued.
>>
>> It's definitely diplomatic.
>
> To be pedantic (because it's Usenet), I is used in the UK, but not in GB
> and not in that position.

In similar vein each embassy and high commission is entitled to one car
for official use with a "flag" number. The usual rules don't apply to
them. I've also seen IND1 and ZIM1. But they have to be approved by
DVLA & FCO so I suspect no chance of GOD1.

--
Robin

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<fdaujh1i06q422uho6titkv9q963297n9e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4897&group=uk.transport.london#4897

From: chris@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 20:20:12 +0100
 by: Chris J Dixon - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 19:20 UTC

Robin wrote:

>In similar vein each embassy and high commission is entitled to one car
>for official use with a "flag" number. The usual rules don't apply to
>them. I've also seen IND1 and ZIM1. But they have to be approved by
>DVLA & FCO so I suspect no chance of GOD1.

Maybe, but Barnsley's mayoral conveyance used to be THE 1, back
when HE was the local index.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<thnkph$5ba$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4898&group=uk.transport.london#4898

From: hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 23:28:00 +0100
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 22:28 UTC

On 06/10/2022 19:54, Robin wrote:
> On 06/10/2022 16:35, Certes wrote:
>> On 06/10/2022 13:56, London calling wrote:

>>> No, letter I is not used in UK registrations due to posible confusion
>>> with number 1.  The normal series would have jumped from HTA to JTA
>>> when they were issued.
>>>
>>> It's definitely diplomatic.
>>
>> To be pedantic (because it's Usenet), I is used in the UK, but not in GB
>> and not in that position.
>
> In similar vein each embassy and high commission is entitled to one car
> for official use with a "flag" number.  The usual rules don't apply to
> them.  I've also seen IND1 and ZIM1.

And I've seen ZAM 1.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<thot4m$3l61b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4899&group=uk.transport.london#4899

From: none@nowhere.net (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 10:56:38 +0100
 by: Certes - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 09:56 UTC

On 06/10/2022 19:54, Robin wrote:
> On 06/10/2022 16:35, Certes wrote:
>> On 06/10/2022 13:56, London calling wrote:

>>> No, letter I is not used in UK registrations due to posible confusion
>>> with number 1.  The normal series would have jumped from HTA to JTA
>>> when they were issued.
>>>
>>> It's definitely diplomatic.
>>
>> To be pedantic (because it's Usenet), I is used in the UK, but not in GB
>> and not in that position.
>
> In similar vein each embassy and high commission is entitled to one car
> for official use with a "flag" number.  The usual rules don't apply to
> them.  I've also seen IND1 and ZIM1.  But they have to be approved by
> DVLA & FCO so I suspect no chance of GOD1.

I expect they get the ISO code, so countries don't squabble over
ambiguous prefixes like IND and NOR. GOD does not feature there.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-3>

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<thoubv$3l9rj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4900&group=uk.transport.london#4900

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 10:17:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:XCNDgWkXOR/2LAevwKUjB5SGFyY=
 by: Recliner - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 10:17 UTC

Certes <none@nowhere.net> wrote:
> On 06/10/2022 19:54, Robin wrote:

>>> To be pedantic (because it's Usenet), I is used in the UK, but not in GB
>>> and not in that position.
>>
>> In similar vein each embassy and high commission is entitled to one car
>> for official use with a "flag" number.  The usual rules don't apply to
>> them.  I've also seen IND1 and ZIM1.  But they have to be approved by
>> DVLA & FCO so I suspect no chance of GOD1.
>
> I expect they get the ISO code, so countries don't squabble over
> ambiguous prefixes like IND and NOR. GOD does not feature there.
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-3>

I notice that one obvious ambiguous but undesirable one is committed: Niger
is NER while Nigeria is NGA.

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<thpjr1$3op4r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=4901&group=uk.transport.london#4901

From: none@nowhere.net (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 17:24:01 +0100
 by: Certes - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 16:24 UTC

On 07/10/2022 11:17, Recliner wrote:
> Certes <none@nowhere.net> wrote:

>>> In similar vein each embassy and high commission is entitled to one car
>>> for official use with a "flag" number.  The usual rules don't apply to
>>> them.  I've also seen IND1 and ZIM1.  But they have to be approved by
>>> DVLA & FCO so I suspect no chance of GOD1.
>>
>> I expect they get the ISO code, so countries don't squabble over
>> ambiguous prefixes like IND and NOR. GOD does not feature there.
>>
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-3>
>>

> I notice that one obvious ambiguous but undesirable one is committed: Niger
> is NER while Nigeria is NGA.

That reminds me of a sad but funny social media post which I can no
longer find. A poster skilled in neither spelling nor geography was
demanding to know why an athlete had been forced to run with a offensive
term emblazoned on her vest. (She was proudly representing Niger.)

Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral

<afd22c0e0ae404f4afbc42c9a2c90577@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6268&group=uk.transport.london#6268

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 12:59:29 +0000
From: Ulf.Kutzner@web.de (ulf_kutzner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
 by: ulf_kutzner - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 12:59 UTC

Tweed wrote:

> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Foreign heads of state and their spouses heading to London for the state
>> funeral for Queen Elizabeth II have been asked to arrive in the U.K. on
>> commercial flights and banned from using helicopters to get around.
>>
>> World leaders have also been told they cannot use their own state cars to
>> attend the funeral at Westminster Abbey on September 19 — and will instead
>> be bussed in en masse from a site in west London.
>>
>> …
>>
>> Westminster Abbey will be so packed for the event that it will be
>> impossible for more than a single, senior representative per country and
>> their other half to attend, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development
>> Office (FCDO) lamented in the official protocol message regarding the
>> event.
>>
>> In the document, sent to overseas embassies late Saturday night, the
>> department said it “regrets that, because of limited space at the state
>> funeral service and associated events, no other members of the principal
>> guest’s family, staff or entourage may be admitted.”
>>
>> Heads of state unable to attend may choose someone else as their official
>> representative, such as a head of government or senior minister.
>>
>> <https://www.politico.eu/article/queen-elizabeth-joe-biden-king-charles-westminster-abbeyonly-heads-of-state-plus-one-to-attend-queen-elizabeths-funeral/>
>>

> Heads of State in a bus/coach?

Not exactly heads of State but European leaders in Esbjerg:
https://www.reddit.com/r/fuckcars/comments/usy09r/heads_of_government_but_in_a_bus/

Regards, ULF

aus+uk / uk.transport.london / Re: OT: Foreign leaders to travel by coach to funeral