Above all else -- sky.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Taming parchment paper

SubjectAuthor
* Taming parchment paperEd P
+* Re: Taming parchment paperjmcquown
|+* Re: Taming parchment paperEd P
||+- Re: Taming parchment paperGM
||`* Re: Taming parchment paperD
|| `* Re: Taming parchment paperBryanGSimmons
||  +* Re: Taming parchment paperGM
||  |+- Re: Taming parchment papersmall furry animal
||  |`* Re: Taming parchment paperD
||  | `- Re: Taming parchment papermy foolish hammer-drill
||  `- Re: Taming parchment papersmall furry animal
|+- Re: Taming parchment paperChris_P_Bacon
|`- Re: Taming parchment papersmall furry animal
+* Re: Taming parchment paperBruce
|`- Re: Taming parchment paperEd P
+* Re: Taming parchment paperItsJoanNotJoAnn
|+* Re: Taming parchment papersmall furry animal
||`- Re: Taming parchment paperItsJoanNotJoAnn
|`* Re: Taming parchment paperBryanGSimmons
| `- Re: Taming parchment papermy foolish hammer-drill
+* Re: Taming parchment paperD
|+* Re: Taming parchment paperMike Duffy
||+* Re: Taming parchment paperDave Smith
|||`- Re: Taming parchment papersmall furry animal
||+- Re: Taming parchment papersmall furry animal
||+* Re: Taming parchment paperItsJoanNotJoAnn
|||`* Re: Taming parchment paperMike Duffy
||| `* Re: Taming parchment paperItsJoanNotJoAnn
|||  `- Re: Taming parchment paperjmcquown
||`* Re: Taming parchment paperD
|| `* Re: Taming parchment papersmall furry animal
||  `* Re: Taming parchment paperD
||   `- Re: Taming parchment papermy foolish hammer-drill
|`* Re: Taming parchment papersmall furry animal
| `* Re: Taming parchment paperD
|  `- Re: Taming parchment papersmall furry animal
+* Re: Taming parchment paperS Viemeister
`- Re: Taming parchment paperheyjoe

Pages:123456
Taming parchment paper

<66207765$0$6541$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=306962&group=rec.food.cooking#306962

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:29:09 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Subject: Taming parchment paper
 by: Ed P - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 01:29 UTC

A tip that actually works.

Every couple of weeks I make a batch of blueberry pancakes and a tray of
bacon to go with them. I make the bacon in the oven and can fit about
10 pieces.

I always line the tray with parchment paper. Once cut, it always tries
to roll back up, so, I fold the two sides and it helps,but not perfect.
Then I saw a tip on line that you just crumple up the paper and then
spread it out.

I did just that and it works easier than my folding.

Once cooked, I lay the bacon on a couple of paper towels and roll it up
to keep in the fridge. Take out two pieces when needed, nuke 30 seconds.

Re: Taming parchment paper

<uvptpq$1sr6e$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=306964&group=rec.food.cooking#306964

From: j_mcquown@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Re: Taming parchment paper
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:42:10 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 01:42 UTC

On 4/17/2024 9:29 PM, Ed P wrote:
> A tip that actually works.
>
> Every couple of weeks I make a batch of blueberry pancakes and a tray of
> bacon to go with them.  I make the bacon in the oven and can fit about
> 10 pieces.
>
> I always line the tray with parchment paper.  Once cut, it always tries
> to roll back up, so, I fold the two sides and it helps,but not perfect.
> Then I saw a tip on line that you just crumple up the paper and then
> spread it out.
>
> I did just that and it works easier than my folding.
>
> Once cooked, I lay the bacon on a couple of paper towels and roll it up
> to keep in the fridge.  Take out two pieces when needed, nuke 30 seconds.

When I bake a tray of bacon I put it on top of a slotted broiler pan and
the pan underneath is lined with foil to catch the drippings. No
parchment paper involved.

Jill

Re: Taming parchment paper

<uvpvga$21fji$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=306967&group=rec.food.cooking#306967

From: Bruce@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 12:11:19 +1000
 by: Bruce - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 02:11 UTC

On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:29:09 -0400, Ed P <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>A tip that actually works.
>
>Every couple of weeks I make a batch of blueberry pancakes and a tray of
>bacon to go with them. I make the bacon in the oven and can fit about
>10 pieces.

Bacon and blueberry, for realz?

Re: Taming parchment paper

<66209499$0$6551$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=306970&group=rec.food.cooking#306970

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 23:33:46 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 03:33 UTC

On 4/17/2024 9:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/17/2024 9:29 PM, Ed P wrote:
>> A tip that actually works.
>>
>> Every couple of weeks I make a batch of blueberry pancakes and a tray
>> of bacon to go with them.  I make the bacon in the oven and can fit
>> about 10 pieces.
>>
>> I always line the tray with parchment paper.  Once cut, it always
>> tries to roll back up, so, I fold the two sides and it helps,but not
>> perfect. Then I saw a tip on line that you just crumple up the paper
>> and then spread it out.
>>
>> I did just that and it works easier than my folding.
>>
>> Once cooked, I lay the bacon on a couple of paper towels and roll it
>> up to keep in the fridge.  Take out two pieces when needed, nuke 30
>> seconds.
>
> When I bake a tray of bacon I put it on top of a slotted broiler pan and
> the pan underneath is lined with foil to catch the drippings.  No
> parchment paper involved.
>
> Jill

Sure, but you also have the slotted tray to clean up. I just toss the
parchment paper and the tray is clean as it was when I started.

Re: Taming parchment paper

<662094c3$0$6552$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=306971&group=rec.food.cooking#306971

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 23:34:27 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp@snet.xxx (Ed P)
 by: Ed P - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 03:34 UTC

On 4/17/2024 10:11 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 21:29:09 -0400, Ed P <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
>
>> A tip that actually works.
>>
>> Every couple of weeks I make a batch of blueberry pancakes and a tray of
>> bacon to go with them. I make the bacon in the oven and can fit about
>> 10 pieces.
>
> Bacon and blueberry, for realz?

Great combo with real maple syrup too.

Re: Taming parchment paper

<4fe8dc841729e7672baef53766f26171@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=306972&group=rec.food.cooking#306972

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 03:42:04 +0000
From: gregorymorrow@msn.com (GM)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
 by: GM - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 03:42 UTC

Ed P wrote:

> On 4/17/2024 9:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 4/17/2024 9:29 PM, Ed P wrote:
>>> A tip that actually works.
>>>
>>> Every couple of weeks I make a batch of blueberry pancakes and a tray
>>> of bacon to go with them.  I make the bacon in the oven and can fit
>>> about 10 pieces.
>>>
>>> I always line the tray with parchment paper.  Once cut, it always
>>> tries to roll back up, so, I fold the two sides and it helps,but not
>>> perfect. Then I saw a tip on line that you just crumple up the paper
>>> and then spread it out.
>>>
>>> I did just that and it works easier than my folding.
>>>
>>> Once cooked, I lay the bacon on a couple of paper towels and roll it
>>> up to keep in the fridge.  Take out two pieces when needed, nuke 30
>>> seconds.
>>
>> When I bake a tray of bacon I put it on top of a slotted broiler pan and
>> the pan underneath is lined with foil to catch the drippings.  No
>> parchment paper involved.
>>
>> Jill

> Sure, but you also have the slotted tray to clean up. I just toss the
> parchment paper and the tray is clean as it was when I started.

Silly Ed - Jill has a dedicated *servant* to do that...!!!

--
GM

Re: Taming parchment paper

<10c86db8bd14147d32a46cd90ba1403f@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=306973&group=rec.food.cooking#306973

From: ItsJoanNotJoAnn@webtv.net (ItsJoanNotJoAnn)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 05:19:59 +0000
 by: ItsJoanNotJoAnn - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 05:19 UTC

Ed P wrote:

> A tip that actually works.

> Every couple of weeks I make a batch of blueberry pancakes and a tray of
> bacon to go with them. I make the bacon in the oven and can fit about
> 10 pieces.

> I always line the tray with parchment paper. Once cut, it always tries
> to roll back up, so, I fold the two sides and it helps,but not perfect.
> Then I saw a tip on line that you just crumple up the paper and then
> spread it out.

> I did just that and it works easier than my folding.

> Once cooked, I lay the bacon on a couple of paper towels and roll it up
> to keep in the fridge. Take out two pieces when needed, nuke 30 seconds.

Yes, I found out parchment paper really requires me to give it a good
wadding to make it behave. I've also seen a tip online to run the
paper under hot water to get it to lie flat, but I haven't tried that
yet.

Re: Taming parchment paper

<jN4UN.980$szn3.927@fx07.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=306974&group=rec.food.cooking#306974

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: c.p.bacon1@none.none (Chris_P_Bacon)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 04:24:48 -0400
 by: Chris_P_Bacon - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 08:24 UTC

jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/17/2024 9:29 PM, Ed P wrote:
>> A tip that actually works.
>>
>> Every couple of weeks I make a batch of blueberry pancakes and a tray
>> of bacon to go with them.  I make the bacon in the oven and can fit
>> about 10 pieces.
>>
>> I always line the tray with parchment paper.  Once cut, it always
>> tries to roll back up, so, I fold the two sides and it helps,but not
>> perfect. Then I saw a tip on line that you just crumple up the paper
>> and then spread it out.
>>
>> I did just that and it works easier than my folding.
>>
>> Once cooked, I lay the bacon on a couple of paper towels and roll it
>> up to keep in the fridge.  Take out two pieces when needed, nuke 30
>> seconds.
>
> When I bake a tray of bacon I put it on top of a slotted broiler pan and
> the pan underneath is lined with foil to catch the drippings.  No
> parchment paper involved.
>
> Jill

Woooosh.

Re: Taming parchment paper

<5d5d8da3-2c58-d023-d952-628006546b3f@example.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=306984&group=rec.food.cooking#306984

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 11:19:45 +0200
 by: D - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:19 UTC

On Wed, 17 Apr 2024, Ed P wrote:

> A tip that actually works.
>
> Every couple of weeks I make a batch of blueberry pancakes and a tray of
> bacon to go with them. I make the bacon in the oven and can fit about 10
> pieces.
>
> I always line the tray with parchment paper. Once cut, it always tries to
> roll back up, so, I fold the two sides and it helps,but not perfect. Then I
> saw a tip on line that you just crumple up the paper and then spread it out.
>
> I did just that and it works easier than my folding.
>
> Once cooked, I lay the bacon on a couple of paper towels and roll it up to
> keep in the fridge. Take out two pieces when needed, nuke 30 seconds.

Thank you Ed, but here's a tip that works even better!

I threaten my parchment with the just wrath of Donald Trump and that
usually makes it stay in place.

Re: Taming parchment paper

<2570ff90-b037-eeff-7587-ea4049c63b38@example.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=306986&group=rec.food.cooking#306986

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 11:21:48 +0200
 by: D - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:21 UTC

On Wed, 17 Apr 2024, Ed P wrote:

> On 4/17/2024 9:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 4/17/2024 9:29 PM, Ed P wrote:
>>> A tip that actually works.
>>>
>>> Every couple of weeks I make a batch of blueberry pancakes and a tray of
>>> bacon to go with them.  I make the bacon in the oven and can fit about 10
>>> pieces.
>>>
>>> I always line the tray with parchment paper.  Once cut, it always tries to
>>> roll back up, so, I fold the two sides and it helps,but not perfect. Then
>>> I saw a tip on line that you just crumple up the paper and then spread it
>>> out.
>>>
>>> I did just that and it works easier than my folding.
>>>
>>> Once cooked, I lay the bacon on a couple of paper towels and roll it up to
>>> keep in the fridge.  Take out two pieces when needed, nuke 30 seconds.
>>
>> When I bake a tray of bacon I put it on top of a slotted broiler pan and
>> the pan underneath is lined with foil to catch the drippings.  No parchment
>> paper involved.
>>
>> Jill
>
> Sure, but you also have the slotted tray to clean up. I just toss the
> parchment paper and the tray is clean as it was when I started.

Ed 1, Jill 0.

Re: Taming parchment paper

<l8c7u2F3k6vU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=306989&group=rec.food.cooking#306989

From: firstname@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 10:37:06 +0100
 by: S Viemeister - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:37 UTC

On 18/04/2024 02:29, Ed P wrote:
> A tip that actually works.
>
> Every couple of weeks I make a batch of blueberry pancakes and a tray of
> bacon to go with them.  I make the bacon in the oven and can fit about
> 10 pieces.
>
> I always line the tray with parchment paper.  Once cut, it always tries
> to roll back up, so, I fold the two sides and it helps,but not perfect.
> Then I saw a tip on line that you just crumple up the paper and then
> spread it out.
>
> I did just that and it works easier than my folding.
>
> Once cooked, I lay the bacon on a couple of paper towels and roll it up
> to keep in the fridge.  Take out two pieces when needed, nuke 30 seconds.

I use a silicone tray liner when I cook bacon in the oven, It always
lies flat, and is re-usable.

Re: Taming parchment paper

<uvqtll$27cou$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=306990&group=rec.food.cooking#306990

From: Bruce@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 20:46:11 +1000
 by: Bruce - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 10:46 UTC

On Thu, 18 Apr 2024 10:37:06 +0100, S Viemeister
<firstname@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:

>On 18/04/2024 02:29, Ed P wrote:
>> A tip that actually works.
>>
>> Every couple of weeks I make a batch of blueberry pancakes and a tray of
>> bacon to go with them.  I make the bacon in the oven and can fit about
>> 10 pieces.
>>
>> I always line the tray with parchment paper.  Once cut, it always tries
>> to roll back up, so, I fold the two sides and it helps,but not perfect.
>> Then I saw a tip on line that you just crumple up the paper and then
>> spread it out.
>>
>> I did just that and it works easier than my folding.
>>
>> Once cooked, I lay the bacon on a couple of paper towels and roll it up
>> to keep in the fridge.  Take out two pieces when needed, nuke 30 seconds.
>
>I use a silicone tray liner when I cook bacon in the oven, It always
>lies flat, and is re-usable.

I think we have a winner.

Re: Taming parchment paper

<6621040c$0$6552$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=306991&group=rec.food.cooking#306991

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamilton@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: 18 Apr 2024 11:29:16 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 11:29 UTC

On 2024-04-18, S Viemeister <firstname@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:
> On 18/04/2024 02:29, Ed P wrote:
>> A tip that actually works.
>>
>> Every couple of weeks I make a batch of blueberry pancakes and a tray of
>> bacon to go with them.  I make the bacon in the oven and can fit about
>> 10 pieces.
>>
>> I always line the tray with parchment paper.  Once cut, it always tries
>> to roll back up, so, I fold the two sides and it helps,but not perfect.
>> Then I saw a tip on line that you just crumple up the paper and then
>> spread it out.
>>
>> I did just that and it works easier than my folding.
>>
>> Once cooked, I lay the bacon on a couple of paper towels and roll it up
>> to keep in the fridge.  Take out two pieces when needed, nuke 30 seconds.
>
> I use a silicone tray liner when I cook bacon in the oven, It always
> lies flat, and is re-usable.

I must be the last person in the world who cooks bacon in a pan on
the stove. Five slices every Sunday (three for him, two for me);
save the grease for other uses.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Taming parchment paper

<uvr1ho$286hs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=306992&group=rec.food.cooking#306992

From: Snag_one@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 06:52:16 -0500
 by: Snag - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 11:52 UTC

On 4/18/2024 6:29 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2024-04-18, S Viemeister <firstname@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:
>> On 18/04/2024 02:29, Ed P wrote:
>>> A tip that actually works.
>>>
>>> Every couple of weeks I make a batch of blueberry pancakes and a tray of
>>> bacon to go with them.  I make the bacon in the oven and can fit about
>>> 10 pieces.
>>>
>>> I always line the tray with parchment paper.  Once cut, it always tries
>>> to roll back up, so, I fold the two sides and it helps,but not perfect.
>>> Then I saw a tip on line that you just crumple up the paper and then
>>> spread it out.
>>>
>>> I did just that and it works easier than my folding.
>>>
>>> Once cooked, I lay the bacon on a couple of paper towels and roll it up
>>> to keep in the fridge.  Take out two pieces when needed, nuke 30 seconds.
>>
>> I use a silicone tray liner when I cook bacon in the oven, It always
>> lies flat, and is re-usable.
>
> I must be the last person in the world who cooks bacon in a pan on
> the stove. Five slices every Sunday (three for him, two for me);
> save the grease for other uses.

No , you're not . I have a large CI frying pan that's just the right
size for 10-12 slices . We buy bacon in 10 lb boxes when it's on sale -
1.49/lb last purchase - I break it up into 2 servings per package and
freeze it .
--
Snag
"They may take our lives but

Re: Taming parchment paper

<v4322jplqmtp733h5nkntlaqcp71pruav6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=306993&group=rec.food.cooking#306993

From: lucretia@florence.it
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:11:37 -0300
 by: lucretia@florence.it - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 12:11 UTC

On 18 Apr 2024 11:29:16 GMT, Cindy Hamilton <hamilton@invalid.com>
wrote:

>On 2024-04-18, S Viemeister <firstname@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:
>> On 18/04/2024 02:29, Ed P wrote:
>>> A tip that actually works.
>>>
>>> Every couple of weeks I make a batch of blueberry pancakes and a tray of
>>> bacon to go with them.  I make the bacon in the oven and can fit about
>>> 10 pieces.
>>>
>>> I always line the tray with parchment paper.  Once cut, it always tries
>>> to roll back up, so, I fold the two sides and it helps,but not perfect.
>>> Then I saw a tip on line that you just crumple up the paper and then
>>> spread it out.
>>>
>>> I did just that and it works easier than my folding.
>>>
>>> Once cooked, I lay the bacon on a couple of paper towels and roll it up
>>> to keep in the fridge.  Take out two pieces when needed, nuke 30 seconds.
>>
>> I use a silicone tray liner when I cook bacon in the oven, It always
>> lies flat, and is re-usable.
>
>I must be the last person in the world who cooks bacon in a pan on
>the stove. Five slices every Sunday (three for him, two for me);
>save the grease for other uses.

Last night I cooked some in the air fryer - came out perfectly crisped
at 400 air fried for about four minutes. What was good was that there
was no mess, usually spatters from the CI on to the stove top :(

Re: Taming parchment paper

<MPG.408b1ea21f2d53ef989c44@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=306994&group=rec.food.cooking#306994

From: nobody@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 13:12:53 +0100
 by: Janet - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 12:12 UTC

In article <6621040c$0$6552$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>,
hamilton@invalid.com says...

> On 2024-04-18, S Viemeister <firstname@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:
> > On 18/04/2024 02:29, Ed P wrote:
> >> A tip that actually works.
> >>
> >> Every couple of weeks I make a batch of blueberry pancakes and a tray of
> >> bacon to go with them.  I make the bacon in the oven and can fit about
> >> 10 pieces.
> >>
> >> I always line the tray with parchment paper.  Once cut, it always tries
> >> to roll back up, so, I fold the two sides and it helps,but not perfect.
> >> Then I saw a tip on line that you just crumple up the paper and then
> >> spread it out.
> >>
> >> I did just that and it works easier than my folding.
> >>
> >> Once cooked, I lay the bacon on a couple of paper towels and roll it up
> >> to keep in the fridge.  Take out two pieces when needed, nuke 30 seconds.
> >
> > I use a silicone tray liner when I cook bacon in the oven, It always
> > lies flat, and is re-usable.
>
> I must be the last person in the world who cooks bacon in a pan on
> the stove. Five slices every Sunday (three for him, two for me);
> save the grease for other uses.

Nope, you're the last but two. We both cook bacon in a
pan.

Then we eat it hot and juicy and crispy, instead of
cooling it, keeping it in the fridge for a week and
reheating it (shudder)

Now ,about boiled eggs. We just cook as many as we're
about to eat. Then we eat them.

Janet UK

Re: Taming parchment paper

<l8ciblF55odU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=306995&group=rec.food.cooking#306995

From: firstname@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 13:34:59 +0100
 by: S Viemeister - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 12:34 UTC

On 18/04/2024 12:29, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2024-04-18, S Viemeister <firstname@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:
>> On 18/04/2024 02:29, Ed P wrote:
>>> A tip that actually works.
>>>
>>> Every couple of weeks I make a batch of blueberry pancakes and a tray of
>>> bacon to go with them.  I make the bacon in the oven and can fit about
>>> 10 pieces.
>>>
>>> I always line the tray with parchment paper.  Once cut, it always tries
>>> to roll back up, so, I fold the two sides and it helps,but not perfect.
>>> Then I saw a tip on line that you just crumple up the paper and then
>>> spread it out.
>>>
>>> I did just that and it works easier than my folding.
>>>
>>> Once cooked, I lay the bacon on a couple of paper towels and roll it up
>>> to keep in the fridge.  Take out two pieces when needed, nuke 30 seconds.
>>
>> I use a silicone tray liner when I cook bacon in the oven, It always
>> lies flat, and is re-usable.
>
> I must be the last person in the world who cooks bacon in a pan on
> the stove. Five slices every Sunday (three for him, two for me);
> save the grease for other uses.

That's how I used to do it - until a friend who ran a B&B in Tasmania,
introduced me to the oven method.

Re: Taming parchment paper

<uvr4ae$28mug$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=306996&group=rec.food.cooking#306996

From: Snag_one@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 07:39:44 -0500
 by: Snag - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 12:39 UTC

On 4/18/2024 7:12 AM, Janet wrote:
> In article <6621040c$0$6552$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>,
> hamilton@invalid.com says...

>>> I use a silicone tray liner when I cook bacon in the oven, It always
>>> lies flat, and is re-usable.
>>
>> I must be the last person in the world who cooks bacon in a pan on
>> the stove. Five slices every Sunday (three for him, two for me);
>> save the grease for other uses.
>
> Nope, you're the last but two. We both cook bacon in a
> pan.
>
> Then we eat it hot and juicy and crispy, instead of
> cooling it, keeping it in the fridge for a week and
> reheating it (shudder)
>
> Now ,about boiled eggs. We just cook as many as we're
> about to eat. Then we eat them.
>
> Janet UK

I like having a few in the fridge for stuff like salads , and to grab
as a snack .
--
Snag
"They may take our lives but
they'll never take our freedom."
William Wallace

Re: Taming parchment paper

<00622jtqktikgtslhbkeljp5gtc7gvnenj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=306998&group=rec.food.cooking#306998

From: lucretia@florence.it
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:56:09 -0300
 by: lucretia@florence.it - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 12:56 UTC

On Thu, 18 Apr 2024 13:34:59 +0100, S Viemeister
<firstname@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:

>On 18/04/2024 12:29, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I use a silicone tray liner when I cook bacon in the oven, It always
>>> lies flat, and is re-usable.
>>
>> I must be the last person in the world who cooks bacon in a pan on
>> the stove. Five slices every Sunday (three for him, two for me);
>> save the grease for other uses.
>>
>That's how I used to do it - until a friend who ran a B&B in Tasmania,
>introduced me to the oven method.

Yes, I asked at a B&B in Cape Breton and that was what she told me.
Maybe I'm too Scottish, but turning the oven on for one serving of
bacon doesn't work with me, the air fryer came a close second though.

Re: Taming parchment paper

<6621219f$0$7174$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=306999&group=rec.food.cooking#306999

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: mxduffy@bell.net (Mike Duffy)
Date: 18 Apr 2024 13:35:27 GMT
 by: Mike Duffy - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 13:35 UTC

On 2024-04-18, D wrote:

> Thank you Ed, but here's a tip that works even better!

The only place I use PP is in my air fryer. An almost perfect
kitchen accessory is like an oversized cupcake paper that fits
the basket bottom. If you don't know what that means, think about
a huge 'Reeses' PB cup wrapper.

The only problem with it is that after some time, the edges fall
inwards and you end up with a central cavity that resembles a
swastika. I'm not sure who I should complain to.

Re: Taming parchment paper

<66212309$0$7175$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=307000&group=rec.food.cooking#307000

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: mxduffy@bell.net (Mike Duffy)
Date: 18 Apr 2024 13:41:29 GMT
 by: Mike Duffy - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 13:41 UTC

On 2024-04-18, lucretia@florence.it wrote:

> Last night I cooked some in the air fryer - came out perfectly crisped
> at 400 air fried for about four minutes. What was good was that there
> was no mess, usually spatters from the CI on to the stove top :(

No mess? Dear Lucretia, try looking under the removable bottom.

I had my air fryer for a few weeks before I discovered that, yes,
there is somewhat of a mess down there needing occaisional clean-up.

Re: Taming parchment paper

<66212386$11$1258332$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=307001&group=rec.food.cooking#307001

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 07:43:33 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.stereo@shaw.ca (Graham)
 by: Graham - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 13:43 UTC

On 2024-04-18 3:37 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:
> On 18/04/2024 02:29, Ed P wrote:
>> A tip that actually works.
>>
>> Every couple of weeks I make a batch of blueberry pancakes and a tray
>> of bacon to go with them.  I make the bacon in the oven and can fit
>> about 10 pieces.
>>
>> I always line the tray with parchment paper.  Once cut, it always
>> tries to roll back up, so, I fold the two sides and it helps,but not
>> perfect. Then I saw a tip on line that you just crumple up the paper
>> and then spread it out.
>>
>> I did just that and it works easier than my folding.
>>
>> Once cooked, I lay the bacon on a couple of paper towels and roll it
>> up to keep in the fridge.  Take out two pieces when needed, nuke 30
>> seconds.
>
> I use a silicone tray liner when I cook bacon in the oven, It always
> lies flat, and is re-usable.

I have silicone sheets for baking but for some things, e.g. macarons,
I use flat sheets of parchment that I get from Lakeland when I visit
England.

Re: Taming parchment paper

<66212465$7$1258326$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=307002&group=rec.food.cooking#307002

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 07:47:16 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.stereo@shaw.ca (Graham)
 by: Graham - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 13:47 UTC

On 2024-04-18 7:41 a.m., Mike Duffy wrote:
> On 2024-04-18, lucretia@florence.it wrote:
>
>> Last night I cooked some in the air fryer - came out perfectly crisped
>> at 400 air fried for about four minutes. What was good was that there
>> was no mess, usually spatters from the CI on to the stove top :(
>
> No mess? Dear Lucretia, try looking under the removable bottom.
>
> I had my air fryer for a few weeks before I discovered that, yes,
> there is somewhat of a mess down there needing occaisional clean-up.

But it's easier than cleaning the entire cooktop and surrounding counter.

Re: Taming parchment paper

<662128e1$3$1258345$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=307004&group=rec.food.cooking#307004

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamilton@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: 18 Apr 2024 14:06:25 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 14:06 UTC

On 2024-04-18, lucretia@florence.it <lucretia@florence.it> wrote:
> On 18 Apr 2024 11:29:16 GMT, Cindy Hamilton <hamilton@invalid.com>
> wrote:

>>> I use a silicone tray liner when I cook bacon in the oven, It always
>>> lies flat, and is re-usable.
>>
>>I must be the last person in the world who cooks bacon in a pan on
>>the stove. Five slices every Sunday (three for him, two for me);
>>save the grease for other uses.
>
> Last night I cooked some in the air fryer - came out perfectly crisped
> at 400 air fried for about four minutes. What was good was that there
> was no mess, usually spatters from the CI on to the stove top :(

Isn't that what stove tops are for?

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Taming parchment paper

<66212927$0$1258341$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=307005&group=rec.food.cooking#307005

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamilton@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: 18 Apr 2024 14:07:35 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 14:07 UTC

On 2024-04-18, Janet <nobody@home.com> wrote:
> In article <6621040c$0$6552$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>,
> hamilton@invalid.com says...

>> > I use a silicone tray liner when I cook bacon in the oven, It always
>> > lies flat, and is re-usable.
>>
>> I must be the last person in the world who cooks bacon in a pan on
>> the stove. Five slices every Sunday (three for him, two for me);
>> save the grease for other uses.
>
> Nope, you're the last but two. We both cook bacon in a
> pan.
>
> Then we eat it hot and juicy and crispy, instead of
> cooling it, keeping it in the fridge for a week and
> reheating it (shudder)
>
> Now ,about boiled eggs. We just cook as many as we're
> about to eat. Then we eat them.

Hard boiled or soft?

I don't like soft-boiled eggs. I'll hard-boil four eggs,
which is about all I want before I'm tired of them.

--
Cindy Hamilton